WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How hard is it to get into SEMA?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I just realized I will be in Vegas Nov 4th-8th supporting a Flight Test at Nellis AFB, same time as SEMA.

I've been invited to go in the past with friends, but never really looked into what it takes to get in. I know its not a general public type deal.

Any pointers, or am I just SOL?

--Jeff

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
I was luck enough to see it on YouTube. Does that count?

Keymyster

Reaction score
You can spend a whole day just looking at the cars on the outside. They have food and drinks out there. Watch all the cars on the course. Great time.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Going to SEMA has been on my bucket list for years. You have to know someone in the aftermarket industry.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Normally I am in key west but with my foot being like it is I am doing the rdp Regatta and will be going to sema for a day or two..

You basically have to know one of the vendors to get in or have media related biz cards and can prove it’s legit. It’s not that hard if you know people.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Normally I am in key west but with my foot being like it is I am doing the rdp Regatta and will be going to sema for a day or two..

You basically have to know one of the vendors to get in or have media related biz cards and can prove it’s legit. It’s not that hard if you know people.

And the days you aren't there I can be River Dave? :)

Sounds like there might be enough to do outside of the convention center to keep me busy! I was hoping the qualifying for the B1K would be there again this year, but since they changed that whole setup...nope.

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
It’s worth going to the NHRA race the weekend before and get your nitro fix, too. It’s the second to last race of the season and the points chase causes them to be set on kill.

I was there in 2017 and did the race and SEMA. Motorsports overload!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Get 2 passes RD and I'll drive and pick up the drink tab.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Sounds like something I will be checking out . Bonus to living here now !

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Hey @RiverDave
Need an orderly to wheel you around?

I got a ticket a couple years back. I bonzai'd from Needles early morning, and did the thing in one day. If you are on your own, no big deal. In a group though, one day would be difficult, as people have different interests and focus. It is more impressive than any car show vendor deal you'll ever see. Famous people walking around, just like every other car guy there. When I was there, GM had a test track out back where you could go for a ride in a Vette with pro drivers. I'd think this year would be the same with the new release.

@pwerwagn
Flight test at Nellis:confused:
Damn, I have had a pretty boring life...;)

Albert

Reaction score
I know a guy that knows a guy.

PlanB

Reaction score
I had a boat in the show in the mid 2000's and could not get in. I did not try really hard, but the dealer had taken it right after I bought it and could not get me a pass. I still have the sign from the show was displayed in front of it for garage art.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I am more concerned with getting a hotel room etc.. It is so busy that weekend room rates are through the roof and then getting in and out of the place is difficult at peak times.

Last time we took the monorail thing they were literally pushing people into the cars like they do in Japan. I was going crazy in that car and got off on the first stop. Lol

Zhammy3

Reaction score
I'll be attending this year. Got lucky to get a pass, be staying at the palms

franky

Reaction score
There are a few on here that can hook up.
The most amazing Automotive industry show in the world.
PRI in my book. Hardcore, no Pep Boys. And I would agree with all there is outside to see.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I went last year and a member here helped me get passes. It take longer than there is left to get them. We started on the paperwork in May I believe. But it was an assume thing to go to spent all 4 days there and don't think I saw everything. Now that I have been there I would do better planning for what I would go see.
I talked to the Napa store in havasu about it and he joined sema so he could go himself.

RaceTec

Reaction score
PRI in my book. Hardcore, no Pep Boys. And I would agree with all there is outside to see.
PRI is where it is really at, that should be on every car / performance guys bucket list... SEMA is a lot of chinese crap and tires and stuff... PRI is only hard core racing stuff, we have an even larger booth at PRI this year, can't wait! If anyone needs passes for PRI email me at work...

franky

Reaction score
PRI is where it is really at, that should be on every car / performance guys bucket list... SEMA is a lot of chinese crap and tires and stuff... PRI is only hard core racing stuff, we have an even larger booth at PRI this year, can't wait! If anyone needs passes for PRI email me at work...
And all of the state of the art fabrication/machine shop equipment, unreal....have not been in several years, signed up for this year in Indy.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The hotels are usually booked out a year in advance for anything close, or decent. I knew some car guys from Oz that Air BnB'd a place last year, so that may be an option for people. I went fully un-prepared, and didn't even know where I was going. I got to the area early, and found a restaurant across the street that was selling parking for 25 or 30$. They had space for my 1ton, and it was actually really convenient, having not stayed in the area the previous night.

Yes, ton of import crap mixed though out...nature of the beast, a lot of stuff is made over there. As for tires and wheels, they have their own building. That building also has a lot of the local "tallent" handing out cards and posing for pics.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Get 2 passes RD and I'll drive and pick up the drink tab.

I had planned on taking Stacy. If she doesn’t want to go I will need someone to go with me and push me around. Lol

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I’ll be there like every year. :D

Have had the most ridiculous times the past couple years with RDP members.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
It is a good time for sure. As noted if you can’t get the pass you can wonder the outside for a day or two depending on what you like to see. Without getting in you will miss the Tire section and show ho’s. The last few years have not been as good as 10+ years ago. All being said it is a good way o waste a few days.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
It is a good time for sure. As noted if you can’t get the pass you can wonder the outside for a day or two depending on what you like to see. Without getting in you will miss the Tire section and show ho’s. The last few years have not been as good as 10+ years ago. All being said it is a good way o waste a few days.

With the recession, SEMA was kept alive by the big guys, Ford, Chebby, and the other big corporate companies. They put a stop to that.

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Have someone who has a pass send you a picture of it. Modify the name and barcode (just blurr it) make a pass hang it on your neck and act like you own the place. No one really checks.

bonesfab

Reaction score
You used to be able to sign up whoever to get passes.. they nixed that a few years ago. Now they want payroll stubs and business cards with the names on them.. Turned it into a pain in the ass. I wasn't going to go this year. But the vega we built is going in the Dynocom booth sitting on a chassis dyno. Lucky I booked a room 6 months ago. Book early and stay at the Westgate. It costs more but the convenience is well worth it. No long tram or taxi lines. I will be there all week. Then I get to go to the Saudi version 10 days later..

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
My old man was president of SEMA from the 70’s to 2002. Kind of impressive to think he did that with no college education. Army paratrooper to sales guy to that. Hard to pull that off nowadays.

TCHB

Reaction score
If I did not have a badge I would go to the outside area. That alone is better than most car events.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
I go every year. Even though I don’t own my fab shop any longer, as long as I register every year, I can get tix. I pay around $150 ea year for my two tickets. I will be going this year a couple days. I can probably let you use my pass one day if needed.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’ve been in the industry for 20 years and have never been...after seeing some videos of the bullshit that is “built” for sema...I have no real desire to ever go.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Have someone who has a pass send you a picture of it. Modify the name and barcode (just blurr it) make a pass hang it on your neck and act like you own the place. No one really checks.

They flash black lights at you. It won’t reflect back.

wzuber

Reaction score
Don Turney was my parents neighbor in the early 80's. Is your dad Chuck?

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Don Turney was my parents neighbor in the early 80's. Is your dad Chuck?
Yes sir! Don Turney, what a character. He was my oldest’s godfather.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
You used to be able to sign up whoever to get passes.. they nixed that a few years ago. Now they want payroll stubs and business cards with the names on them.. Turned it into a pain in the ass. I wasn't going to go this year. But the vega we built is going in the Dynocom booth sitting on a chassis dyno. Lucky I booked a room 6 months ago. Book early and stay at the Westgate. It costs more but the convenience is well worth it. No long tram or taxi lines. I will be there all week. Then I get to go to the Saudi version 10 days later..
This is it in a nutshell, they cracked down a few years ago. No longer are the days of a phoney business card. Last i went was 2016, i didnt have an issue since we have the family business. I tried to get my buddy in with a phoney card, but they wouldnt let it slide. So at registration i just told them to register him as my "domestic partner" everybody (including the registration staff) thought it was funny, except my buddy he didnt talk to me for 2 days over that one

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

wzuber

Reaction score
Yes sir! Don Turney, what a character. He was my oldest’s godfather.
wow..small world. too funny. Yes in deed he was, very good man. That whole group, your parents, Turney's, Caines were a very fun, funny group. Awesome people. You and your sister were around 8-12 yrs old if my memory serves at all, very close in age to Don Jr. and Michelle. I Met you guys a couple times at their parties, bbq's etc. I think Don Sr. left Keystone wheels and came to work for your dad about the time I graduated in 1981 or shortly there after. It's cool to cross paths after so long ago. I hope all is well with your dad, mom (Barbara?) and families.

Sorry for the derail there O.P. and peeps.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
Dad is retired living in Chino Hills. My mom passed away in 2002. My sister is an RN at Kaiser. I worked at K&N until 2008 when the recession did me in. Never went back to the industry after that. Seeing friends go from company to company was not for me and a growing family so I took a different path for stability. I’m friends with Don Jr and Michelle on farcebook but haven’t seen them in person in years.

BTR

2 Girls, 1 Wallet
Reaction score
wow..small world. too funny. Yes in deed he was, very good man. That whole group, your parents, Turney's, Caines were a very fun, funny group. Awesome people. You and your sister were around 8-12 yrs old if my memory serves at all, very close in age to Don Jr. and Michelle. I Met you guys a couple times at their parties, bbq's etc. I think Don Sr. left Keystone wheels and came to work for your dad about the time I graduated in 1981 or shortly there after. It's cool to cross paths after so long ago. I hope all is well with your dad, mom (Barbara?) and families.

Sorry for the derail there O.P. and peeps.

Oh shit!! I just put 2 & 2 together with your screen name. You’re Warren, right?

wzuber

Reaction score
Oh shit!! I just put 2 & 2 together with your screen name. You’re Warren, right?
yes I am. haha Very sorry to hear of your moms passing. Good to hear the rest of your family is doing well. My dad is still in that house, mom passed away this June. Occasionally, I reflect back on those times and wonder how you all are doing, usually when I drive by The Caines old house on 15th st. haha It's nice to have a good answer to that question now. Please tell your dad, sister and the Turney's hello for me when/if you get the chance. I'll tell my dad you all are doing well, he'll get a kick out of that. He really enjoyed all your families.

gqchris

Reaction score
Yep they started that a couple of years ago. They WILL blacklight the badges.

Thats crazy they go thru all this trouble. Every convention I ever been too they could care less on checking your badge. (IT and Electronics World)

. Its probably because of all the You tubers and Exotic Car Chaser kids fucking it up for everyone else. Hell, just make an LLC and start a biz. Seems easier LOL

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I go every year. Even though I don’t own my fab shop any longer, as long as I register every year, I can get tix. I pay around $150 ea year for my two tickets. I will be going this year a couple days. I can probably let you use my pass one day if needed.

If there is a day you aren't going, and its convenient for you, I would gladly take you up on that. If not, it sounds like there is plenty to see outside as well.

I am not 100% sure of my schedule as of now. I will be flying in Sunday evening, but will have to support flight missions at Nellis AFB, potentially at random, monday-thurs.

I didnt even realize I was going to be there for SEMA week, until I tried to get hotel reservations yesterday and wondered WTF. Trying to get a gov per-diem hotel is proving to be a chore!!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
If there is a day you aren't going, and its convenient for you, I would gladly take you up on that. If not, it sounds like there is plenty to see outside as well.

I am not 100% sure of my schedule as of now. I will be flying in Sunday evening, but will have to support flight missions at Nellis AFB, potentially at random, monday-thurs.

I didnt even realize I was going to be there for SEMA week, until I tried to get hotel reservations yesterday and wondered WTF. Trying to get a gov per-diem hotel is proving to be a chore!!

We had an issue one year with our hotel. We were able to find a hotel on the west side of town. I think Summer land. It was 30 minutes from the stop but it had a bed and shitter.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If you guys wanna see a lot of the show, and what goes on behind the scenes...

The Motor Trend channel has a SEMA channel. I just started watching it. So far, its a pretty good show.

Finigan has hosted the few that I have watched so far.