WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wastewater/Water treatment operator.

Spectra18

Reaction score
Signed up for both classes a month ago or so. Besides classes and taking a test, anyone know work in the field ?

Btw how’s OIT pay for beginners ?

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
My buddy Trevor (a lurker here) is a operator / manager for Running Springs. If you want to ask him some questions I'll be happy to give you his contact info.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I’ve built new ones and retro old ones. Here’s what I can tell you... your car keys will turn black. You WILL throw up occasionally, you will be amazed what people flush down the crapper. Your skin will smell like shit all the time. The mist and odors are impossible to stay away from.
Other than that is cool

Spectra18

Reaction score
Keys turn black ?

I’ve built new ones and retro old ones. Here’s what I can tell you... your car keys will turn black. You WILL throw up occasionally, you will be amazed what people flush down the crapper. Your skin will smell like shit all the time. The mist and odors are impossible to stay away from.
Other than that is cool

Spectra18

Reaction score
My buddy Trevor (a lurker here) is a operator / manager for Running Springs. If you want to ask him some questions I'll be happy to give you his contact info.

Yea that’d be great.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Keys turn black ?
Yes. The constant mist and vapors your around will turn any mixed metal black, oxidized. If metal isn’t coated, galvanized or stainless it gets eaten up

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Signed up for both classes a month ago or so. Besides classes and taking a test, anyone know work in the field ?

I was in water for a little over 20 years, you won't get rich, but good benefits and retirement from most agencies. Wastewater used to pay better, but they seem about even now days. If you get into plant work there will be shift work generally, regular positions usually more daytime work depending on position, there's always exceptions for emergencies. If you're good at math the classes should be a piece of cake, they're geared for people that have been out of school for a while. I always enjoyed most of it.

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
Yes. The constant mist and vapors your around will turn any mixed metal black, oxidized. If metal isn’t coated, galvanized or stainless it gets eaten up

So you're saying its gotta be great on the lungs...

2Driver

Reaction score
you will be amazed what people flush down the crapper.

Amaze us.

The only dirty jobs show where I almost puked was them walking down into a recently drained system. They called condoms "rainbow trout" and they were dangling from equipment everywhere in the goo :confused:

riverroyal

Reaction score
panties, pictures, drugs, rubbers, puppies, full hot dogs, ive seen it all

Tank

Reaction score
My cousin works at the Ventura plant. He likes it but has said similar things to what riverroyal said. You WILL get shit on you. That’s when I tap out. Lol

But he’s tattooed from his ears to his feet so getting a good city job like that where the pay is good with retirement and bennies is a fantastic opportunity.

Lol I just text him to say what up and he answers “just playing in turds”

Last edited:

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I worked with a guy who went on to become a Waste Water Mechanic. He told another co-worker of ours he had to get SCUBA certified. :eek::eek::eek:

Shortdeck

Reaction score

What do ya wanna know? I’m an Operator. Lots of opportunities. You won’t get rich, but it steady work that can take you anywhere you wanna live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
You going through the Santiago Canyon program? Ive realized OIT positions are hard to get into. i applied (pre certs) to see if i even had a chance and got denied.
Next exam dates are as follows:

Mar 21
Next Distribution Exam
(Application Deadline Date is
January 2, 2020
)

Nov 02
Next Treatment exam
(Application Deadline Date is
August 30, 2019)

Im gonna take the tests just for shits and giggles to see what im up against with a couple of classes under my belt.

Spectra18

Reaction score
What do ya wanna know? I’m an Operator. Lots of opportunities. You won’t get rich, but it steady work that can take you anywhere you wanna live.

I’m in Riverside. Started two classes. Besides the classes anything else I ought to sign up for ? What point do I need to get into OIT position?

What’s the likelihood of getting a job ?

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
Treatment Plant Operator at MWD for 7 years. I haven't seen too many OIT jobs for potable water plants. I know the lumpy (waste) water plants have that type of program. Personally, I'd try to get into a potable water treatment plant or a distribution system operator. Don't waste your time taking the D1 or T1 certification exams. Take the extra class and go for the D2 and/or T2.
Check out BCwaterjobs.com for constant job postings.
I'm pretty happy with my career choice. Great benefits and work environment.

Matthew

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

riverroyal

Reaction score
There is one pump station in particular in Carlsbad, under ground. I had to damn near do some yoga zen stuff to open the hatch to go in the station.
I dry heaved every time. It’s stuck in my memory for ever.
I’ve repaired broken welds on pipe in more than I can count. The poo would sizzle as you welded.

Spectra18

Reaction score
Need OIT hours before I can do T2.

Treatment Plant Operator at MWD for 7 years. I haven't seen too many OIT jobs for potable water plants. I know the lumpy (waste) water plants have that type of program. Personally, I'd try to get into a potable water treatment plant or a distribution system operator. Don't waste your time taking the D1 or T1 certification exams. Take the extra class and go for the D2 and/or T2.
Check out BCwaterjobs.com for constant job postings.
I'm pretty happy with my career choice. Great benefits and work environment.

Matthew

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3.Slow

Reaction score
Need OIT hours before I can do T2.
One class at Citrus College in Glendora will give you the credit you need for the T2 and D2, I just took the D2 and taking the T2 in November. I'm not an operator, I'm a mechanic for MWD, but having the certs cant hurt. Like @DogNamedChevy said, MWD is a be a good place to get in, from what I've seen a lot if people start at a smaller water district and move from there. What classes did you sign up for?

Wolskis

Reaction score
Power plants need water techs too.

Spectra18

Reaction score
Your not Tony are you ?