WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Last Flight of the SR-71 Blackbird Video

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Just went to the San Diego air museum on Monday where there is one out front just rotting away. Sad really. Such an amazing piece of engineering and American desire to be the best.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Just went to the San Diego air museum on Monday where there is one out front just rotting away. Sad really. Such an amazing piece of engineering and American desire to be the best.

They should all be inside covered, climate controlled museums.......most are not.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I believe the airframe in front of the museum in San Diego is actually an A-12. But I could be wrong.

4Waters

Reaction score
The last offical flight of the SR71 was on March 6 1990 from Los Angeles to New York, it covered that distance in 1hr 7min 53.69sec. The Blackbird hit the west coast that March morning around 6am at mach 3.5, it scared the shit out of my dad and I as we were asleep at the time.

rightytighty

Reaction score
[QUOTE="4Waters, post: 3491932, member: 19020 it scared the shit out of my dad and I as we were asleep at the time.[/QUOTE]

Related to this comment. How far away do you hear the boom? If it crossed the coast line in Huntington Beach, would you hear it only in Huntington Beach or could you hear it up and down the coast a ways? Would people in Malibu or Lake Forrest hear it, for example? No clue

4Waters

Reaction score
[QUOTE="4Waters, post: 3491932, member: 19020 it scared the shit out of my dad and I as we were asleep at the time.

Related to this comment. How far away do you hear the boom? If it crossed the coast line in Huntington Beach, would you hear it only in Huntington Beach or could you hear it up and down the coast a ways? Would people in Malibu or Lake Forrest hear it, for example? No clue[/QUOTE]
I was in Simi Valley and I'd swear to this day that a car hit the house, it was loud.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
The SR71 is without a doubt my favorite airplane of all time. To think they started designing it in the late 50’s blows my mind.

ElGuapo

Reaction score
If you guys are in the area March Air Museum in Riverside has one inside one of the hangars.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
You are 100% correct.
If the SR-71 is badass, the A-12 is badasser. Many of those flights are still classified, flown by the CIA. Most likely over the heart of the USSR.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
[QUOTE="4Waters, post: 3491932, member: 19020 it scared the shit out of my dad and I as we were asleep at the time.

Related to this comment. How far away do you hear the boom? If it crossed the coast line in Huntington Beach, would you hear it only in Huntington Beach or could you hear it up and down the coast a ways? Would people in Malibu or Lake Forrest hear it, for example? No clue[/QUOTE]

Used to hear the Shuttle Return Booms in Ventura... they were up @ Vandenburg which is 80+ miles per google

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
We had some Bitchen cars trucks airplanes growing up , class of 58 / high school 76

Last edited:

welldigger00

Reaction score
I’d bet they still have one keyed up with new gear. At least I’d like to think they do. No other military design of any shape or size is as elegant as that bitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4Waters

Reaction score
I’d bet they still have one keyed up with new gear. At least I’d like to think they do. No other military design of any shape or size is as elegant as that bitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would like to say they do;)

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
There has been one sitting outside what used to be Castle Air Force Base in Atwater. Really sad to see it just sit out and decay

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score

If the aircraft is still supersonic everyone below the aircraft flight path will hear the sonic boom.
For every thousand feet in altitude the shock wave will travel 1NM and will be 360 degrees.
At 30 thousand feet the shock wave can be heard 30 miles from the aircraft, however the shock wave will be less intense than being directly under the flight path.