WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

stove fan vent

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
90E7281D-1CF3-49C0-9A10-2D70782955F8.jpeg
6D79C14B-80C5-40F9-9FEF-681892EED87F.jpeg
PI need someone in Havasu to build a little exhaust vent for the stove. The new microwave has the fan, and if I recall the ability to divert exhaust out ducting. We don’t cook much when their, but with snowbirds coming it may be worth it. Let me know if anyone knows a reasonable handyman or someone that can do this.
Thx

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Is anything in that cabinet above the microwave?

Joker

Reaction score
I've got ours with the ducting and it still blows out into the kitchen?

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
View attachment 805584 View attachment 805585 PI need someone in Havasu to build a little exhaust vent for the stove. The new microwave has the fan, and if I recall the ability to divert exhaust out ducting. We don’t cook much when their, but with snowbirds coming it may be worth it. Let me know if anyone knows a reasonable handyman or someone that can do this.
Thx
I just bought all new kitchens appliances for my Havasu house. I have owned the house for 20 years and didn't even know I didn't have a duct vent like I do at home. I guess its normal in Havasu. I don't cook much either but have had a snowbird for all 20 years and they never said anything.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Just a fyi, if there is no ducting to outside in place already it's going to hurt to have it installled.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Some the motor can be switched. Forget what brand it was but it came from manufacturer blowing out. Had to take back down and flip blower motor 2 screws easy once I figured it out and took down.
Normally it's just a plate you either remove and put the duct flange on. Some times you have to move it from the front too the back. That is assuming you have the option in the 1st place. You can Google the model number to find out.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Ducted or not every fukin over the stove microwave I've ever had was loud as hell with the fan on. I'll cook with it when frying shit like bacon or when the stove is on but the wife hates the fukin thing and refuses to run it.

Joker

Reaction score
Some the motor can be switched. Forget what brand it was but it came from manufacturer blowing out. Had to take back down and flip blower motor 2 screws easy once I figured it out and took down.
Thank you

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Normally it's just a plate you either remove and put the duct flange on. Some times you have to move it from the front too the back. That is assuming you have the option in the 1st place. You can Google the model number to find out.

Actually it is like @NicPaus said, a couple of screws, pull the fan assembly out and flip it around.. as most ducting for a micro hood go out the top cause there is no room in the back to fit the duct, most are pretty tight to the wall. If the duct came out the back it would have to go into the wall... and every micro hood I have seen or delt with has the option to pull the fan and flip it.

We use all Frigidaire Professional appliances in our houses and the micro hoods are actually pretty quiet. But we only use them if we use a standard oven/cooktop we mostly do wall ovens and counter cooktops.

Last edited:

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
I need ducting installed. Nothing of importance is in above cabinet, master closet directly behind, pocket shelves above cabinets . It’s when I cook bacon I really wish I had a vent

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
If it is a single story house, honestly it's not that difficult and fairly inexpensive. Hard duct it from the micro hood, through the cabinet and into the attic. From there use some flex duct and route it to the attic side of an existing roof vent and secure, no need to go through the roof. Then build a 3 sided box out of some finish plywood to cover the hard ducting above the cabinet. Stain and finish or paint the 3 sided box so it looks good. All the material needed including ducting is available at your local home depot.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
That’s exactly what I need done, I just need to fine someone in Havasu to do that’s reasonable

500bbc

Reaction score
I've got ours with the ducting and it still blows out into the kitchen?
Is there a hole in the cabinet above to the blower duct? If so you can hook a duct to it run it into the attic space then run the duct to an attic vent. Not code approved but OK in a pinch. Otherwise you have to duct through the roof or the exterior wall.
If it's blowing out from between the micro and the cabinet it's set (Per Nic) for being ducted and you'll either have to rotate the motor for non ducted or duct it.

Just noticed on the OP there is a soffit above the cabs, PITA to do it right or build a chase as recommended.

Trash

Reaction score
This is the biggest mistake I see over and over and over again with kitchens. Installing a microwave above the stove. The microwaves usually cannot stand the heat of any real burner system and even if they have a fan. In addition they lack sufficient flow to do any good nor do they vent outside.

Get a stainless hood, 10 inch duct and roof mounted blower.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is the biggest mistake I see over and over and over again with kitchens. Installing a microwave above the stove. The microwaves usually cannot stand the heat of any real burner system and even if they have a fan. In addition they lack sufficient flow to do any good nor do they vent outside.

Get a stainless hood, 10 inch duct and roof mounted blower.

I never understood why they do that up here but almost all midrange newer houses are built this way.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I never understood why they do that up here but almost all midrange newer houses are built this way.

It's all about the $$
Microwaves with the range vent aren't much more than a good countertop model + by hanging the MW below a cabinet you don't lose counter space in what's probably a pretty small kitchen to start with.

NicPaus

Reaction score
With a proper duct they work great and are not as loud. Most are using a old vent 4-6" instead of 8-10" if at all. A nice vent hood is $550-1000. The microwave hood vents are $3-400. And like mentioned save a lot of room over a built in $$$ microwave.

rrrr

Reaction score
We redid our kitchen about 15 years ago and installed an island for the cooktop. I put in an 8” round duct centered above the cooktop and connected to a roof vent, but we thought it really wasn't required for the cooking we do.

I cut the duct flush with the drywall ceiling and capped it, ran a circuit to power a future hood, and installed a round light fixture over the duct. I figured if it created a problem with cooking odors and moisture, I would install a hood.

It's never really been a problem.