WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another iron worker death in sd today

riverroyal

Reaction score
Not my project. A balfour project at a grossmont school. Top out party was that morning, unreal. Sad deal.
Balfour is a great company for safety. I have not heard who the iron company is yet .
RIP. Something is not right in the construction industry right now.
I have my opinions that will offend some so im keeping quiet
Im sure i will get info tomorrow.
Dont take chances!

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Not my project. A balfour project at a grossmont school. Top out party was that morning, unreal. Sad deal.
Balfour is a great company for safety. I have not heard who the iron company is yet .
Dont take chances!
Sorry to hear that. Very sad.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Lost 3 buddies on the Ronald Reagan building connecting back 30 years ago rip in buddy

Joker

Reaction score
Dont take chances!

RIP to the employee not going home to his family. Every union job I’m on, safety measures are in place. Most of this stuff in preventable

rrrr

Reaction score

Not my project. A Balfour project at a Grossmont school. Top out party was that morning, unreal. Sad deal.

Don't take chances!

Sorry to hear this. That trade lost another brother in San Diego just a few months ago, right?

There was a bad accident last Friday at a Frito-Lay plant in Irving, a Dallas suburb. Two scissor lifts collided and overturned. One worker was killed, two others were severely injured. They worked for Walker Engineering, a respected commercial and industrial electrical contractor.

Be careful out there.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
With the amount of safety procedures in place there are no 'accidents '.
When you chose to not follow the procedures the outcome can be death.
Thats no accident, thats a bad decision

4Waters

Reaction score
RIP to the employee not going home to his family. Every union job I’m on, safety measures are in place. Most of this stuff in preventable
Yup, 95% of the time it is preventable but sometimes shit happens. RIP

riverroyal

Reaction score
Yes. The investigation is ongoing. I pass the flowers and memorial everyday

Sorry to hear this. That trade lost another brother in San Diego just a few months ago, right?

There was a bad accident last Friday at a Frito-Lay plant in Irving, a Dallas suburb. Two scissor lifts collided and overturned. One worker was killed, the other two were severely injured. They worked for Walker Engineering, a respected commercial and industrial electrical contractor.

Be careful out there.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Yes indeed construction can be very dangerous ...back in the early 70s when I lived in Mammoth and was a carpenter...a kid that worked for me dropped a frozen 20 foot long 2 x 6 20 feet hitting me up on the top of the spine resulting in my first broken neck...I was told the kid smoked a joint every morning before work...Dunno???...

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

I'm on a large project in West Hollywood that is super unsafe. Most union jobs are pretty safe but this one it's ridiculous

riverroyal

Reaction score
I'm on a large project in West Hollywood that is super unsafe. Most union jobs are pretty safe but this one it's ridiculous
Some projects have a bad culture that cant be corrected. Once the GC loses the respect of the men its over.
Its becoming easier and easier to lose the respect of men on the jobs. Theres a new attitude of workers lately, last 3 to 5 years. They are never happy and dont seem to be bought into the career. Its just a pay check

KingofBeers

Reaction score
Some projects have a bad culture that cant be corrected. Once the GC loses the respect of the men its over.
Its becoming easier and easier to lose the respect of men on the jobs. Theres a new attitude of workers lately, last 3 to 5 years. They are never happy and dont seem to be bought into the career. Its just a pay check
In the Bay Area it seems 10-12+ hr days are the norm now. Many are going 7 days a week. Things have definitely gotten out of hand in the last 3-5yrs like you said. People want their shit yesterday. Lots of close calls, but thankfully no major incidents....yet. Its only a matter of time the way things have been going.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Personal accountability!
The work is hazardous but it can always be performed safely. Usually GC and subs taking short cuts to increase productivity.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score

Its hard to take the gc seriously when they change superintendents every month and nothing changes in the field. Too many people in high positions with little to no experience of real-world construction

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
This is the time of year that they seem to happen, crews have been working a lot of hours. Always tell my guys to be extra careful in October.
RIP

riverroyal

Reaction score
Its hard to take the gc seriously when they change superintendents every month and nothing changes in the field. Too many people in high positions with little to no experience of real-world construction
Thats a real challenge right now. Its unfortunate this brother lost his life.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Don't judge till the facts are out . Rip to the man who died . He was earning a honest wage providing a structure for others . Show a little respect

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Sorry to read this. A Family is missing a loved one.
Stay safe my friends.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
...Yes indeed construction can be very dangerous ...back in the early 70s when I lived in Mammoth and was a carpenter...a kid that worked for me dropped a frozen 20 foot long 2 x 6 20 feet hitting me up on the top of the spine resulting in my first broken neck...I was told the kid smoked a joint every morning before work...Dunno???...
What sucks now is that you can’t send someone to get drug tested if you are suspicious that they are intoxicated - I have to see them smoke or drink, or have to see them do something unsafe before I can get them tested because then I am singling them out. So in other words, I have to wait until they put someone’s life in danger or injure themselves before I can act upon their condition. It’s complete bullshit the way the participation trophy gang has hindered my ability to run a safe job site.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
RIP to the worker.

I sure hope it isn't the company or guy that I was a GM for.

Just because it is a prevailing wage job does not mean all workers were union. Ours was not a union shop and we did a bunch of government work.

We held safety meetings every Monday. 1 for the shop guys and 1 for the field guy. Then the field foreman at each site does a 10 min Safety meeting each day.

I know they sometimes just sign the training paper and don't actually do a meeting, but I would usually found out about it and have a talk with foreman. If it happened 3 times they were demoted or fired.

In all the years I was GM we never had to have someone go to Dr. for a work place injury.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Sad deal for sure. I have been to a lot of knarly injuries and job site fatalities, they all suck because one of the most important things about going to work is going home at the end of shift!!! RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortdeck

Reaction score

Sad news for sure.

The one question that always pissed me off was, “When are you gonna be done?” The pressure to finish early or on time didn’t always help from a safety stand point of a job. It’s the one question I don’t miss about working construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nordie

Reaction score
Sad deal for sure...it's dangerous work being a connector, those guys have serious cajones...

RIP...

Going back a little, as a foreman for my company we are required a morning sign in (mostly for me for payroll) Not signed in no pay. Next we do a THA that explains what we are doing that day, if we switch gears now we do another THA. The other ironworker that passed away in San Diego worked for the same company as I do. We had an all foreman conference call within an hour of his passing. It is absolutely insane the amount of safety we go through yet people are still getting hurt, and even worse getting killed. Being an Ironworker is definitely a dangerous trade.

rickym20

Reaction score
Shitty Deal for sure. From what I know at this point is it wasn’t a local 229 member . Still sad someone lost their Life working to put food on the table. RIP

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
don’t now what trade your talking about but you can drug test all day long send them for a day to a different job site drug test legally the trades now have changed speaking Spanish on jobs was never there yes iam Mexican sad have two cousins running jobs and brother in Bay Area before you no it that Mexican flag will go up on the top out

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I tell everyone on my site “ if you see something you don’t like you tell me and I’ll do the same “

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What sucks now is that you can’t send someone to get drug tested if you are suspicious that they are intoxicated - I have to see them smoke or drink, or have to see them do something unsafe before I can get them tested because then I am singling them out. So in other words, I have to wait until they put someone’s life in danger or injure themselves before I can act upon their condition. It’s complete bullshit the way the participation trophy gang has hindered my ability to run a safe job site.

Why not just drug test everyone then?

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
My company is working at The gross monthly project as well.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score

Some gcs do drug test as well as a safety orientation prior to starting work. I’m sure it comes down to money as it can’t be cheap to send everyone for drug tests. I do my own policing, I don’t have fucktards on my crew.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Some gcs do drug test as well as a safety orientation prior to starting work. I’m sure it comes down to money as it can’t be cheap to send everyone for drug tests. I do my own policing, I don’t have fucktards on my crew.
Because of the cost and time involved. They are tested prior to hiring and unless they are injured or involved in an on the job accident they aren’t tested again. A crew of 30+ guys will take some time going to the clinic and since it’s work related they have to be paid and if they get into an accident on the way there or back, since they are on company time the company is liable.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

You can’t randomly drug test in California, it’s law.

There are very specific rules in place and timeframes before you can send an employee for a piss test such as a work related injury.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I remember they kept accidents quiet with the locals cooperation but in this era of social Media that’s changed.

HBCraig

Reaction score

There are very specific rules in place and timeframes before you can send an employee for a piss test such as a work related injury.

Really? I have had random drug tests done in the past few years.

rrrr

Reaction score
Its construction! You'd run out of guys lol

When I worked for Brown & Root in the mid 80s, they had a commercial roofing division with almost 300 employees. B&R began drug screening in 1986. New hires and workers injured on jobsites were 100% tested, and all employees were subject to random testing.

After six months had passed, they had almost 100 openings in the roofing sector. Almost every new hire failed testing, as did those subjected to random tests.

Those numbers made sense to me. How else could someone work on a hot mopping crew during Houston summers unless they were stoned? :D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Or you test the entire crew. I use to do random drug testing... I pulled names out of a hat, I was really good at it. I always got the guy I wanted tested. Edd is a fucked up agency. I have seen them make rules that defy all logic.

Nordie

Reaction score

I don't really think this is true...I'm Ironworkers local 416 in Las Vegas, we are joined with LA. We are part of impact, which subjects us to randoms and also an annual drug screen. I would suspect in LA they are subject to the same as LV.