WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ca Permanent Trailer Tags, not so much

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I'm sure I've heard before that trailer tags aren't really permanent despite what it says on the plate and the registration. You gave to read the fine print. But seriously no mailed out reminder? How are you expected to remember after 5 years you have a fee due. I didn't and got cited for it today.
20191007_142219.jpg
20191007_141311.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
They send you a bill for $10 every few years. Same with both my trailers.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
5 years $10 to "maintain the record"

another dmv cash grab. I didnt know updating a row in a database costs $10. Could easily send an email and you click a link to say "yup, I still have the trailer..." for free.

sirbob

Reaction score
I there a grandfather clause - if you had the trailer 10 yrs (or some other time period) it was before the 5 yr renewal type of thing??

Ive never renewed a trailer :eek:

4Waters

Reaction score
I there a grandfather clause - if you had the trailer 10 yrs (or some other time period) it was before the 5 yr renewal type of thing??

Ive never renewed a trailer :eek:
Me either, I had my enclosed trailer for 20 years and never renewed it, I have now owned my boat for 5 years and am wondering if I need to renew the trailer, got nothing in the mail.

thmterry

Reaction score
$10 every 5 years to "keep the trailer in the system" the only good thing is there is no late fees because it is permanent:confused::confused::eek:

liquid addiction

^ 78 DiMarco Flat
Reaction score

another dmv cash grab. I didnt know updating a row in a database costs $10. Could easily send an email and you click a link to say "yup, I still have the trailer..." for free.
It actually cost a lot more than that, because they will spend thousands to track me down and attach my wages for a fukn past due $50 dirt bike sticker!!!

Cobalt232

Reaction score

You're right, it costs MORE for them than $10.00 to update something.

giphy.gif

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
In 2008 we towed the race boat from Bullhead Az. to Burley Idaho, and from there through Oregon along the big river, then north to Black Lake Washington, and back down through Wash, Oregon, Northern Cal, east To Az.... NO PLATE whatsoever on the trailer, NONE.. If the little sticker is a month out of date you are bound to get stopped, but no plate at all???
Ray

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
$10 every 5 years to "keep the trailer in the system" the only good thing is there is no late fees because it is permanent:confused::confused::eek:

I was wondering about late fees, I had visions of this ended up being a big bill since the CHP said it's been expired since 2011

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Found out the hard way last weekend. Thanks CA. Expired since 2017. Lol. Luckily it was from a NV officer, and gave me a “fix it”, so either way I don’t have to go to CA or AZ once it’s taken care of.

B8E115D6-E87E-4CBD-A68B-1F4A4DA728FC.jpeg

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Found out the hard way last weekend. Thanks CA. Expired since 2017. Lol. Luckily it was from a NV officer, and gave me a “fix it”, so either way I don’t have to go to CA or AZ once it’s taken care of.

View attachment 805032
Kinda sounds like it wasn’t Ca’s fault you got popped by NV popo :)

NicPaus

Reaction score
I'm surprised, no shocked, California hasn't raised the fees to 50 or 100 a year.
Don't jinx us. The trailer renewals and boat registrations are the one DMV renewals I have no problem paying. I think I have 12 trailers.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like it wasn’t Ca’s fault you got popped by NV popo :)

Lol. Stupid plates don’t even come with stickers to show when they are due. All police cruisers scan plates that are around them, so that’s how it got seen. Had no idea it was expired, which is why I wasn’t in a hurry to get the title transferred. It’s such a PIA here in nv

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’m not even sure I still have the correct plate for the Miller.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I got stopped leaving Havasu, I was 10 days past my expiration. Wrote me a $144.00 it. The gal at the court who took my payment said it was a chickenshit ticket.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My trailer reg hits 5 years old at the end of this month. No renewal letter received. I guess I better get in to DMV or AAA and pay the $10.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My trailer reg hits 5 years old at the end of this month. No renewal letter received. I guess I better get in to DMV or AAA and pay the $10.
Renew it online, the credit card fee would only be .20c.;):cool:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have heard about this.... but have not kept a trailer longer than 5 yrs, so it hasn't been a problem yet.

but if a cop is really popping you for expired tags on a perm trailer plate, that has no stickers.... they must be bored out of their effing minds.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
I have heard about this.... but have not kept a trailer longer than 5 yrs, so it hasn't been a problem yet.

but if a cop is really popping you for expired tags on a perm trailer plate, that has no stickers.... they must be bored out of their effing minds.
The AZ Trooper that stopped me on the 95 was hovering behind me for a mile or so, bored as hell I guess.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Renew it online, the credit card fee would only be .20c.;):cool:

lol. I'm going to drive my gas hogging, smog polluting Chevelle, that leaks oil, just to pay a $10 trailer renewal in person. that'll learn 'em. And I save the $0.20 CC fee. :p

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I was wondering about late fees, I had visions of this ended up being a big bill since the CHP said it's been expired since 2011
If it's just to maintain in database, then how can the tags expire

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
Only negative for me is they won't let you pay ahead. I would gladly hand them $40 for 20 years. I paid 1 dump trailer twice and they sent me a refund check back for $10. Should of kept it and I would of been good for 10 years.

240Hallett

Reaction score
Don't jinx us. The trailer renewals and boat registrations are the one DMV renewals I have no problem paying. I think I have 12 trailers.
Did you receive renewal notices for these trailers?

Spray-N-Sand

Reaction score
Lol. Stupid plates don’t even come with stickers to show when they are due. All police cruisers scan plates that are around them, so that’s how it got seen. Had no idea it was expired, which is why I wasn’t in a hurry to get the title transferred. It’s such a PIA here in nv
I’m in Ca. (unfortunately) but always get sent the renewal notice. Don’t know but maybe they aren’t notifying those out of state then? That’d sound about right for Gavin’s Commiefornia.

thmterry

Reaction score
I think people move and dont put in a change of address for their utility trailers and 5 years later the DMV notice doesnt get forwarded. Just a guess :)

NicPaus

Reaction score
Did you receive renewal notices for these trailers?
Yes. I just paid the PJ dump same time as 2 trucks. Got both stickers back for the trucks in same envelope although I sent all 3 same day separate. Nothing back on trailer. The one I sent twice was original notice which I was late on as it was old address and the one they sent once it was past due but no late fee.

F.U.IRS

Reaction score
I think people move and dont put in a change of address for their utility trailers and 5 years later the DMV notice doesnt get forwarded. Just a guess :)
Haven't moved in 24 years. I never get one

4Waters

Reaction score
I put in a change of address twice in person at the DMV on my enclosed and I was never asked to pay anything.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score

It happens. [emoji2359][emoji2359]

DaBank

Reaction score
We have over 40 trailers on PTI and we receive renewals on maybe half of them. In California the DMV does not charge a penalty or late fees on PTI registrations.

Duffster

Reaction score
Well I thought it was a one time charge too. But keep your trailer pink-slip in a safe place. If a California PTI registration is not paid after so many years they just remove the trailer history and plate from the system like it never existed. Sounds crazy because they go after money for anything when it comes to auto registration.

Dealing with this crap now from the other side of the country trying to get mine registered locally. Lost pink-slip but I have the California registration in my name and PTI plate. California will not issue a new pink-slip unless I bring it back across the country so they can see it. Providing the CA DMV my trailer VIN and current CA plate they have no record in the system. And North Carolina will not issue me a trailer plate with out a pink-slip. Pulled it tons of times out to Havasu and Powell and across the the country with no problems.

Any DMV services out there that can take care of this shit for you?

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
So even though the Perm plate has no stickers on it to define expiration, they pull you over anyway ? What’s the pc ?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
So even though the Perm plate has no stickers on it to define expiration, they pull you over anyway ? What’s the pc ?

Plate gets run. Turns up expired?

AZ permanent plates are permanent, I just update the address when needed.

Dan'l

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Haven't moved in 24 years. I never get one

I’ve never received one as well. Got one ticket in the last 20 yrs for it. So I guess it doesn’t really matter. I don’t re-register any of them.