WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Hard Rock Hotel Collapse

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Wow, that is crazy damage. It will be interesting to see what the cause was.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
That's crazy, condolences to all involved.

2Driver

Reaction score
Video is horrible, seeing the people fleeing and getting hit.

riverroyal

Reaction score
How does it happen... easy. The shoring gets pulled on lower floors to soon.
They pull shores out soon after the concrete is poured with 're-shores" basically legs that have adjustment .
These shore are engineered for the placement. A typical project will remove the reshore once the floors are 3 stories above.
This is where it gets sketchy. These floors are post tension concrete. The cables get tightened. IF the shore are removed before the floors above get enough cure time this can happen.
If the shores are placed incorrect or removed this can happen. IF the floors above are over loaded with material this can happen.
If the schedule is aggressive this can happen. Meaning the floors below the top need shores removed for framing etc

This hits VERY close to home right now.

rickym20

Reaction score
Damn, if it comes out that only 1 fatality from that would be a miracle. I know one is too many but seeing that video would think more casualties. Hopefully it stays as 1 and the missing are found alive.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Damn, if it comes out that only 1 fatality from that would be a miracle. I know one is too many but seeing that video would think more casualties. Hopefully it stays as 1 and the missing are found alive.
Saturday. They got lucky.
There are more and more builds like this. Poured in place means more floors at a lower elevation and that means its less expensive to build
The floor to ceiling measurement is less without I-beams

Nordie

Reaction score
Saturday. They got lucky.
There are more and more builds like this. Poured in place means more floors at a lower elevation and that means its less expensive to build
The floor to ceiling measurement is less without I-beams
Doesn't appear to be a post tension deck, looks like a structural building.

flyingcolors

Reaction score
something similar happened in downtown LA in 86 or 87. 9 stories ,4 or 5 below ground and 4 or 5 above ground, to much steel staged on the structure, not enough bolting and welding completed. crane operator and 2 ironworkers died

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I worked in the greater New Orleans area for a number of years. Yes, things like this happen far too often. The shipyard mishaps are scary as hell. Injuries are numerous, sometimes including the superintendents.

rrrr

Reaction score
How does it happen... easy. The shoring gets pulled on lower floors to soon.
They pull shores out soon after the concrete is poured with 're-shores" basically legs that have adjustment .
These shore are engineered for the placement. A typical project will remove the reshore once the floors are 3 stories above.
This is where it gets sketchy. These floors are post tension concrete. The cables get tightened. IF the shore are removed before the floors above get enough cure time this can happen.
If the shores are placed incorrect or removed this can happen. IF the floors above are over loaded with material this can happen.
If the schedule is aggressive this can happen. Meaning the floors below the top need shores removed for framing etc

This hits VERY close to home right now.

I didn't see any reshoring on the upper floors, and the collapse started several floors below the highest one.

Nordie

Reaction score
I still cannot believe those tower cranes are still standing. Something very bizarre happened. Maybe something was not completely bolted up, or a weld failed, or just a bad design.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
I still cannot believe those tower cranes are still standing. Something very bizarre happened. Maybe something was not completely bolted up, or a weld failed, or just a bad design.

Or schedule and lack of construction knowledge had them remove post shores too soon

Nordie

Reaction score
Or schedule and lack of construction knowledge had them remove post shores too soon

Structural buildings I don't think they use pole shores on. I've never seen them used even during concrete pours. Something definitely went wrong though.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
the attached available video shows the building already under collapse...

unbelievable that a tragic construction failure can happen during our current times..

RIP to all ....

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
EGr_twQW4AAqM5x.jpg

I'm no structural expert..just a stupid Roofer.... this picture tells the whole story.... both cranes are intact and still standing, while one side of the building structure surrounding both cranes have failed... i wonder what type of new technology was designed exclusively on this project... high rises have been built surrounding cranes for a LONG time!!!

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Structural buildings I don't think they use pole shores on. I've never seen them used even during concrete pours. Something definitely went wrong though.
Post tension slabs require post shores

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
Don't see any cables in the slabs. Almost looks like excessive cantilever, to keep the face of building free of any structural members. Maybe over loaded?
Hopefully the truth will not be buried.
RIP to the fallen. And quick recovery to the stricken.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
It looks like a hybrid building to me. Conventional concrete structure for the lower parking levels and structural steel building above with post tension concrete deck's.

rrrr

Reaction score
Don't see any cables in the slabs. Almost looks like excessive cantilever, to keep the face of building free of any structural members. Maybe over loaded?
Hopefully the truth will not be buried.
RIP to the fallen. And quick recovery to the stricken.

I noticed that big cantilever. When the video showing the collapse starts, the cantilevered section of a lower floors or floors had already started to fail, then the upper floors followed.

Installation of framing and drywall had begun on those lower floors. Note that the building's man and material lift was located between the tower cranes, and it fell to the street.

This makes me wonder if large quantities of drywall had been unloaded off of the lift, moved a few feet, and left on the cantilevered section, overloading it and initiating the failure.

That's a very plausible scenario.

Edit: From what I can tell the collapse did occur very close to the lift.

Last edited:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
SV 6.jpg

the building collapse from the right side of the middle column... just right side of the post tensions..

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I need a closeup of where the steel was manufactured before passing judgement.
RIP to the life lost. It shouldn't have happened.

Nordie

Reaction score
It looks like a hybrid building to me. Conventional concrete structure for the lower parking levels and structural steel building above with post tension concrete deck's.

You're right, there is a transfer slab right there, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas was built in this same fashion. The CIP portion of the building appears to have faired very well compared to the the structural steel part.
20191013_002920.jpg

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
the live posted video shows a worker running for his life, 6 floors from the top level.... I hope he made it out... RIP everyone

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Lets see how cheap, fast and weak we can make it and still have it stand on its own. The investigation will circle back to this, guarantee.

rickym20

Reaction score
76D30EBE-58FD-4E2F-B0F8-6F905DB2DFCD.jpeg
Hard to tell but those cantilever sections on the structural steel don’t look well designed. Typically the beams cantilevered past the exterior column lines will have a beam in line with it going inside the building. Looking at this one it seems they have them stoping at the header which would put a lot of twisting motion on the I-beam if not braced correctly. Even after concrete cures that design if I’m seeing it right looks sketchy. Not sure if a contributing factor.
It’s just crazy to me something can fail that badly.
76D30EBE-58FD-4E2F-B0F8-6F905DB2DFCD.jpeg

Last edited:

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
image 27 (google view) is the white facade structure. Same image shows the shoring forms (sorry I don't know wtf proper terms) seams to be intact and supporting the damage..

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
So sad to see any and all the damage. I find interesting to see the aftermath. I assume that the standing garage structure on the bottom is the result of current IBC hurricane requirements. We have a current trend happening in the islands to save money on new buildings and meet the code. I look forward to hearing what then cause of the accident was.

riverroyal

Reaction score
It looks like the upper 4 floors are structural steel while the lowers are poured in place? Hard to tell on my cell.

Nordie

Reaction score
20191013_085933.jpg
It looks like the upper 4 floors are structural steel while the lowers are poured in place? Hard to tell on my cell.
Red line shows Cast in Place to structual. That thick slab is a transfer slab, almost like a footing but up in the air.

Nordie

Reaction score
I don't know shit about high rise construction. My question is after the dust settles can they rebuild this from the transfer slab on up, if the below structure is sound or do they demolish and start over?

Good question, there will be engineers involved, x-rays will be happening, and there may be a chance where they almost rebuild the building (like after an airplane crash) to see what happened. It's a toss up at this point and time. I would lean a little more towards this building is coming down.

gqchris

Reaction score
Im not an expert either, but looking at the pictures reminds me of TJ or Baja. Sucks for all involved.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I would think that the building would be torn down to the structural concrete floors of the building and then rebuilt from there.

BajaMike

Reaction score
What a cluster fuck. It does kinda look like third world construction. Some building inspectors and engineers “are going to have some splainin to do”.

Good info from you guys who know something about this stuff!

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

Can you imagine being in one of those tower cranes when this was going on? Holy shit!

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I can't believe those cranes remained standing.....especially the one furthest from the camera in Nordie's picture above.
A literal shit ton of concrete flooring slammed into the side of it even though it was attached to the building frame.