WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Putting A 72 Campbell back together

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was ready for the the lake, I did a thorough inspection of the trailer and
The bunks are falling apart, rot, and bad welds on brackets.
So this week now I'll have to redo the bunk mounts, and bunks.

wzuber

Reaction score
Just when I thought I was ready for the the lake, I did a thorough inspection of the trailer and
The bunks are falling apart, rot, and bad welds on brackets.
So this week now I'll have to redo the bunk mounts, and bunks.
sounds like a good reason to float the boat.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Warren, I'm redoing the bunk 1/8" brackets with the boat on the trailer.
I can lift one side at a time to remove them and reinstall with 1/4" brackets at home
I not going to do it in a launch parking lot with no Electricity , no air compressor, no drill press, no time for paint to dry.

Last edited:

wzuber

Reaction score
Warren, I'm redoing the bunk 1/8" brackets with the boat on the trailer.
I can lift one side at a time to remove them and reinstall with 1/4" brackets at home
I not going to do it in a launch parking lot with no Electricity , no air compressor, no drill press, no time for paint to dry.
No slips at the launch area then? crawling around underneath the thing is a pain in the ass as you likely are experiencing. Good on ya for gettin after it. I guess the hip is doing well then?

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Warren it is not that bad, laying on my back on a cool driveway on a hot day, with a sawzall and grinder.
My hip is doing great, no pain and both legs are the same length, no more limping around.
With the the right side bunks removed, Gives me a access to patch up dings on the bottom of the boat.
I would not do this any other way unless i had a barn with a lift.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Well that trailer needed more than just bunk brackets, All new bearings and 4 new speedi-sleeve's for the seals, and now painting the trailer.
With the change in the weather temps the winds are dumping the tree crap on the fresh paint, oh well.
So with the wind blowing today I switched to installing the S-pipe Exhaust I have been waiting for, They had a three week back order.
All there is left for test start is install the QFT Q-series 750 Carb, and get some Fuel.
exhaust.jpg
exhaust1.jpg
exhaust2.jpg
exhaust3.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
Well that trailer needed more than just bunk brackets, All new bearings and 4 new speedi-sleeve's for the seals, and now painting the trailer.
With the change in the weather temps the winds are dumping the tree crap on the fresh paint, oh well.
So with the wind blowing today I switched to installing the S-pipe Exhaust I have been waiting for, They had a three week back order.
All there is left for test start is install the QFT Q-series 750 Carb, and get some Fuel. View attachment 784797 View attachment 784798 View attachment 784799 View attachment 784800 [/QUOTE
good job Paul, it's lookin sweet...now it's "ready to rumble"

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The day has came to gas her up for a test startup.
There will be a set back, no spark.
When I left the key on and blew up the Coil, it also fried the MSD Box.
Now it going to to be set up OLD School with points, unless I find a new MSD Box Cheap.
Anyone have a old school set up? or MSD Box?
gas.jpg
gas1.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
The day has came to gas her up for a test startup.
There will be a set back, no spark.
When I left the key on and blew up the Coil, it also fried the MSD Box.
Now it going to to be set up OLD School with points, unless I find a new MSD Box Cheap.
Anyone have a old school set up? or MSD Box?
View attachment 786552 View attachment 786553
just toss an hei in it and skip the msd box b.s. Use a marine grade from DUI (davis unified ignition) or look at pertronix offferings. I have a an old school points ign. that I will sell you cheap if you want it. I could also put an ignitor kit in it and convert it to a good basic electronic unit eliminating the points, cond. etc and make it a solid reliable dist.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw and called about the MSD 6M-2L but no replies, no phone answer.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
yeah, Warren thanks
That's what I was thinking.
This Campbell is not a drag boat anyway.;)
How much do you want for it?
i have a stock Coil and Resistor

wzuber

Reaction score
lemme take a look at it and see what kinda cond. it's in. If good cond. hows $35.00 plus shipping sound? Less if not clean cond. I may have a gm hei around here too if you'd rather that. I'll dig around tomorrow and give ya a call.

wzuber

Reaction score
The HEI sounds good.
Thanks
Hey Paul, apparently no HEI, sorry. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part...the only one I can find is the points dist. It's in good cond. complete with cap, plug wires etc. I swapped it out for a Accel HEI in my 1974 work truck w/ a 350. I'm pretty sure their inter-changeable. Lemme know what you would like to do.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I'll give it till sunday eve, Then i'll go witha New DUI HEI one wire setup.
And sell my new MSD Blaster II and the MSD Marine Distributor.
I don't need that stinking MSD. Now if i had my AuquaCraft Flatty it would be a different story.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
This project needs to be done, I ordered a DUI HEI Marine Dist
Now get her done
Anybody Need a MSD Distributor?
The Hell with MSD

wzuber

Reaction score
This project needs to be done, I ordered a DUI HEI Marine Dist
Now get her done
Anybody Need a MSD Distributor?
The Hell with MSD
good for you, it will serve you well. Todays MSD ain't the same MSD that their good reputation was built on. sucks

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I got bored waiting for new Distributor,
so I modified a old school Nicson floor mount throttle pedal.
it just needs a little polishing
throttle pedal3.jpg
throttle pedal2.jpg
throttle pedal1.jpg
throttle pedal.jpg

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
She's Alive, Burrs like a kitten new DUI and a new fuel pump did the trick.
I do have a Question about the timing.
On the timing chain cover there is only a mark for TDC
What would be the distance for 10, 12 Degrees?
I guessed at .625 (5/8) for 12 degrees
.5625 (9/16) for 10 degrees
I do not have a timing light that shows the degrees, She burrs pretty good at the .625 setting.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Hell yes! Post a video when you can would love to see it! Keep up the good work!

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Get a timing light that shows degrees!!!!!

Don’t play with ur motor and that measuring crap bullshit!!!!!!!!

You done way to much and spent way to much to Jew out on a timing light and melt down ur engine!!!!!!

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Another set back, I was going to mount the pedal to a 1/4" Aluminum Plate and use a 1/4" Aluminum Angle to bolt from Plate to Bulkhead. No screws to the floor.
But now for the st back because this is a V-drive with Engine in backwards the Cable is to short to route from stern, if it was a Jet it would of fit perfect.
That's OK , I'll just use the hand throttle for now.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Get a timing light that shows degrees!!!!!

Don’t play with ur motor and that measuring crap bullshit!!!!!!!!

You done way to much and spent way to much to Jew out on a timing light and melt down ur engine!!!!!!
Well
I borrowed a degree timing light, Just what I thought, I set my timing at 10 degrees (.5625) at 650 rpm and the total degree @ 4000 rpm is 35 degree, excellent setting. I knew the way it burred it was set right.

Blownbillybob

Reaction score
Well
I borrowed a degree timing light, Just what I thought, I set my timing at 10 degrees (.5625) at 650 rpm and the total degree @ 4000 rpm is 35 degree, excellent setting. I knew the way it burred it was set right.

U could put a little less curve in the dist and raise the intial timing to 16-20*
It will be more responsive off idle

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
The DUI Dist advance curve starts at
2* at 900
10* at 1500
16* at 2200
24* at 3000
10*/11* at base
I said 4g because it was at 35 at 4g also.
It is very responsive off idle and purrs like a kitten
She's set at a great setting I can't wait to get her out on the lake
Her exhaust gasket is leaking so Back in the garage :)

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
Another set back, I was going to mount the pedal to a 1/4" Aluminum Plate and use a 1/4" Aluminum Angle to bolt from Plate to Bulkhead. No screws to the floor.
But now for the st back because this is a V-drive with Engine in backwards the Cable is to short to route from stern, if it was a Jet it would of fit perfect.
That's OK , I'll just use the hand throttle for now.
Got it

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
On the Lake at last, She rides like a tank but she Goes pretty good, and No leaks
I'll have to take my Garmin with me the next time out so I can tell how fast she goes.
It didn't take much down force with the Bennett tabs to stop the porpoise effect
She turns like my AquaCraft Flatty but very heavy and bogged down
This engine in my AquaCraft would make it fly
Now The Upholstery and Carpet can be Installed
onthelake.jpg
onthelake1.jpg
onthelake2.jpg
onthelake3.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I forgot to share a good use for first Gear in the T400.
Trolling for kokanee fish, it's a great speed for those Fish.

Blownrvr

Reaction score
These boats all have character and i think restoration of them is coming back. The others brands like Spectra etc are all neat to see but seem to be a lot of work. like a street rod, well worth it when complete.

wzuber

Reaction score
looks sooo much better sittin n the water. congrats paul. she's a classic beauty. at one time or another every boater has admired a Campbell. I certainly have.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Any more updates or are you burnt out? I took a week off the boat but back to it Sunday.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
It's been to cold to glue the Carpet, it even Snowed at 5-6 thousand foot level not far from here.
So when it warmed up I glued the carpet, then PG&E cut our power off so we went To Waikoloa, Hawaii
Now I need to Trim the carpet and it will be a done deal.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I'm not ready for photos yet, I'm putting oak trim on and the stain and seal takes time between coats.
yeah What PG&E did was bullshit, 40,30, 20, 10 years ago then they didn't cut the power in windy conditions, And i know the wind blew very hard 40,30, 20 years ago up here, cause I was here on storm patrol.
You watch there will be Sue PG&E commercials on TV now, like the ones for hip replacement claims, Cancer Claims for Roundup weed killer, Wire mess Claims, and so on.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I am done putting the 71 Campbell back together.
It's been fun with lots of challenges and way to much $$$$$$$
I was going to take her out today but it is to windy here in northern Californy and PG&E shut off the Electricity.
So start up the generator and detail the cruiser.
PG&E needs to do so Equipment up grades and do the Preventative maintenance to protect their Equipment, 10-20-30 years ago PG&E did not need to cut the power. Those fires PG&E got sued for and devastated cities could of been avoided by up grading their equipment and maintaining the protection of their equipment.
ddone4.jpg
ddone2.jpg
ddone1.jpg
ddone.jpg
ddone5.jpg
ddone3.jpg
ddone6.jpg

Last edited:

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
Looks amazing man and my hats off to you for sticking it out. You did a great job and you’re keeping a piece of history a float which is awesome! Be proud!!!

cofooter

Reaction score
Awesome job, looks great. Ol School Kool. Where did you get that carpet? Is it glue down? Hope you get a chance to run it soon!

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Awesome job, looks great. Ol School Kool. Where did you get that carpet? Is it glue down? Hope you get a chance to run it soon!
The glue down carpet came from a carpet shop in Dalton , Georgia 15 X 98 roll for $180
For the floor I was going to use teak R2861 Aquapac backing from Corinthian marine cut to fit snap in or just lay it down like mat. It is very rigid rubber backing with soft teak looking carpet on top. Big bucks, so I used teak foam roll from ebay, it stuck to the floor nice. Later I can always lay the good suff. Most carpet comes from Georgia. Bass pro shop carpet comes from Georgia but ya Will pay double at bass pro.

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Here is the closing post on this Campbell, unless someone wants to buy it. LOL
Second time out on the lake, She runs and handles Great.
This time I got to put three hours Cruising the perimeter of the lake
She needs 4-6" higher windshield
Time to winterize
sell.jpg
sell2.jpg
sell2A.jpg
sell4.jpg
sell4A.jpg
sell1.jpg

wzuber

Reaction score
It's beautiful Paul, awesome job. You should be very proud. What lake were you on in those pix?

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I go to Bullards Bar Lake northern Californy, Sierra Nevada Foothills, East of Marysville on marysville highway, and north 60 miles from Auburn hwy 49. we call it little Lake Shasta. And it is free to launch, no cost.
Bullards Bar Lake.jpg

Last edited:

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I need to share about the Steering in reverse with this Campbell V-drive with the T400.
My ex MasterCraft would only turn one way in reverse, But this Campbell with the t400 turns both ways in Reverse. It's awesome
Anybody else able to turn both ways in Reverse?

Last edited: