WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Got a new to me Rzr !

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
C0BD9996-D7B7-42FF-AFA9-CF865D3322C3.jpeg
2C7B3BFD-BBBA-40E6-90BD-B4859337C060.jpeg
52DB1780-08E9-4E23-BB13-BBEA923494B1.jpeg
9E82807B-6E31-4631-AB48-0E7F91996224.jpeg
Picked up a 2016 Rzr 1000 , first trip out to Desert Bar this weekend , performed fantastic ! Found this covered abandoned mine shaft off one of the side trails .

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
RZR looks good!

There are a bunch of those mine shaft cages dotting the hills west of Needles. They popped up right about the time of Obama's government shutdown...like the same week. There were some big ones too.

Reactions: DWC

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
View attachment 806907 View attachment 806906 View attachment 806904 View attachment 806903 Picked up a 2016 Rzr 1000 , first trip out to Desert Bar this weekend , performed fantastic ! Found this covered abandoned mine shaft off one of the side trails .

To bracing1127's point. Your upper springs are collapsed. Completely normal for RZR's. Mine did it with 1900 miles on it. Shock Therapy has a great upgrade. Get the rear sway bar as well. Pass on the front.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Looks good.. Alot of cool spots out by the desert bar to explore..

NOTSOFAST

Reaction score
Proud of you for going with the 1000 and not the 900. You will be much happier with this RZR. Now, buying the car was the cheap part lol.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think I have seen that mine before, and I thought I had been about everywhere out there. Lol

RD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Good pickup on the 1000. If you find yourself wanting a better ride, get better springs at a minimum. The spring and revalve packages really improve the performance, and raise the ground clearance.

It looks like it has some good mods. I like the clown horn.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Dont feel.bad.. Mine are fully collapsed also. 2019 rzr..went from great ride to absolute shit in about 3 rides:eek::D

I’m gonna have your springs for you in a week or so.

I have the new lightweight shocks on my RZR while mine get worked on.

66D24EB4-984D-4DD9-8E41-6DF39D77EB89.jpeg

Mikes56

Reaction score
Take a look at your clutch rollers too. My buddy's clutch just failed on the last day of a 5 day trip thru Utah. The stock rollers get flat spots on them and clutch stops working. The rollers are cheap and it's a fairly easy fix. If you use the Hunterworks rollers, you will only have to do this once.

Go to Hunterworks website for the videos and explanation. You can call them too. The guy is really nice and will spend time on the phone with you.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Take a look at your clutch rollers too. My buddy's clutch just failed on the last day of a 5 day trip thru Utah. The stock rollers get flat spots on them and clutch stops working. The rollers are cheap and it's a fairly easy fix. If you use the Hunterworks rollers, you will only have to do this once.

Go to Hunterworks website for the videos and explanation. You can call them too. The guy is really nice and will spend time on the phone with you.

Yes, 100% check this on the 2016. If it has square blocks for rollers on the secondary, change them out to round rollers. The hunterworks rollers are the ones to get.

TCHB

Reaction score

Yes this is a must. The springs are a like to do.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Looks like a nice ride and some decent options
But we're here to spend your money
fire extinguisher
heavy duty radius rods
belt temp gauge and belt blower
gut your cat
You're welcome.:)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
no
the shock on the sway bar

Yes. Walker Evans makes them.
The car leans a bit more at speed, but it hooks up and rides much better over small bumps and washboards.

I am running 2, which gives you about 4 inches of total travel before they lock the sway bar, you can just try running with one on one side first. The car will lean less at higher speeds, but the car wont suck up as much of the smaller bumps.

c_land

Reaction score
no
the shock on the sway bar

They are valved also. Low speed situations you have a little more flex available in your sway bar. High speed cornering it allows the inside tire to maintain more ground contact and helps in the wash boards/bumps.

Photo Apr 23, 7 07 52 PM.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
They are valved also. Low speed situations you have a little more flex available in your sway bar. High speed cornering it allows the inside tire to maintain more ground contact and helps in the wash boards/bumps.

View attachment 807157

Is that a braced stock trailing arm I see there?

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Yes. Walker Evans makes them.
The car leans a bit more at speed, but it hooks up and rides much better over small bumps and washboards.

I am running 2, which gives you about 4 inches of total travel before they lock the sway bar, you can just try running with one on one side first. The car will lean less at higher speeds, but the car wont suck up as much of the smaller bumps.
I tried disconnecting my sway bar for slow rock crawling and it helped but it was scary at faster speeds.
Felt like I was in my pontoon boat lol

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I tried disconnecting my sway bar for slow rock crawling and it helped but it was scary at faster speeds.

This is a balance between the two. The bar "disconnect" is damped, and then when the dampers bottom or top out, the sway bar works normally. The car drives a little different at speed, but it is not scary and diving all over the place. They are sold individually, some people run just one, and a solid link on the other side.

shockwave714

Reaction score
The upper spring comes collapsed from the factory it’s just there to take up space to keep the bottom spring in place. I would check out Ibach a lot less expensive then shock therapy.
If you do a Google search on the upper tender springs you will find a Lot of info.

shockwave714

Reaction score
This is a reply from Polaris.

Attachments

• 29AA3FEB-0CE8-4EE8-A45C-3EBF751D8B77.png
    29AA3FEB-0CE8-4EE8-A45C-3EBF751D8B77.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 146

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

We removed the sway bars out of my old ranger.. and it was way more top heavy than any of these rigs.

That said I almost never got flats (got two the entire time I owned it, both were sliding sideways into a rock), and the thing rode amazing.. Leaned like crazy in the turns though. However if you hit bumps on one side of the car it didn't react like it did with the sway bars.

I like the idea of these little shocks on the sway bar.. That said given the choice between swaybar without them, or no sway bar I'd probably ditch the swaybar as a whole.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is a reply from Polaris.

Interesting response!! I know jack shit about setting up suspension etc.. but I always thought it was the other way where those springs would be super stiff and take up the last bit of slack when the main springs ran out.

RD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Interesting response!! I know jack shit about setting up suspension etc.. but I always thought it was the other way where those springs would be super stiff and take up the last bit of slack when the main springs ran out.

RD

Think of when you jump the thing.. If those light tender springs were not there, the main spring would just flop around loose on the shock and there is a good chance when you landed the main spring would not sit back on its perch. That is why they call it a "tender spring".

Now if you actually take that tender spring and make it close to as stiff as the main spring, (+/- 50 to 100 lbs for instance) you are now using BOTH springs all the time, and have "dual rate springs". This improves the ride and performance if set up correctly. You can have a couple inches of travel that is softer initially which gives better traction and a better ride, then gets stiffer under more compression.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I read it and think it's nothing but a talking point. Admission would cost Polaris millions. Mine collapsed and the radius rods were pointing up, not down. It was extremely obvious it wasn't right.

Yep, They are literally cheap chinese made springs. The rates are inconsistent, and they sag the moment you begin using the car. That is why when you put a good spring on the car you immediately notice the ride difference. You now have a spring with a consistent rate. The extra ride height and not sagging further every ride, is just a bonus.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We removed the sway bars out of my old ranger.. and it was way more top heavy than any of these rigs.

That said I almost never got flats (got two the entire time I owned it, both were sliding sideways into a rock), and the thing rode amazing.. Leaned like crazy in the turns though. However if you hit bumps on one side of the car it didn't react like it did with the sway bars.

I like the idea of these little shocks on the sway bar.. That said given the choice between swaybar without them, or no sway bar I'd probably ditch the swaybar as a whole.

RD

Be careful doing that on your new ride. With the performance the new stuff is capable of, you can get really out of shape at speed removing the sway bars entirely. They make the Walker links for the Can Am as well.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Yep, They are literally cheap chinese made springs. The rates are inconsistent, and they sag the moment you begin using the car. That is why when you put a good spring on the car you immediately notice the ride difference. You now have a spring with a consistent rate. The extra ride height and not sagging further every ride, is just a bonus.

I'll take some pictures when I get home of mine.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Think of when you jump the thing.. If those light tender springs were not there, the main spring would just flop around loose on the shock and there is a good chance when you landed the main spring would not sit back on its perch. That is why they call it a "tender spring".

Now if you actually take that tender spring and make it close to as stiff as the main spring, (+/- 50 to 100 lbs for instance) you are now using BOTH springs all the time, and have "dual rate springs". This improves the ride and performance if set up correctly. You can have a couple inches of travel that is softer initially which gives better traction and a better ride, then gets stiffer under more compression.
I've heard of all good reviews on the rzr aid tender spring swap.
It may be the cheap version of doing an all out shock/spring upgrade but it seems to work and only $240 for all 4 springs
https://allthingzutv.com/rzr-1000-xp-4-seater-tender-spring-swap-kit/

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I've heard of all good reviews on the rzr aid tender spring swap.
It may be the cheap version of doing an all out shock/spring upgrade but it seems to work and only $240 for all 4 springs
https://allthingzutv.com/rzr-1000-xp-4-seater-tender-spring-swap-kit/

That would work well. The more travel you are taking out of that crappy main spring, the better the ride is going to be.

If you shop around/wait for a deal you can get a good set of springs or piece a set together for a decent price, as opposed to paying $800 for a packaged set.

I could see a case for running those RZR aid springs and then getting yourself a set of Eibach/ST/PAC or other quality main springs down the line. That could probably be done for around $600.

The caveat is that if you go to get the shocks revalved, the vendor doing it is gonna balk at you and will likely want you to buy their spring package.

Last edited:

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
That would work well.. The more travel you are taking out of that crappy main spring, the better the ride is going to be.
I just got a price for the walker evans shocks, $249 shipped
I think I'll do those and the rzr aids.
Not ready to drop $2000 in shocks just yet

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I just got a price for the walker evans shocks, $249 shipped
I think I'll do those and the rzr aids.
Not ready to drop $2000 in shocks just yet

Be aware, the Walker Links are sold individually. Make sure that is for a pair. Usually they are like $189 each. You should be able to get a pair for under $370 shipped. I know that sounds expensive, but they do work.

This place has them for $360
https://www.proutvparts.com/products/rear-sway-bar-shock-polaris-turbo-s-by-walker-evans

I think that is a good plan.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Great info from all these posts! Especially for a rzr newbie....like me:D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Be careful doing that on your new ride. With the performance the new stuff is capable of, you can get really out of shape at speed removing the sway bars entirely. They make the Walker links for the Can Am as well.

The bew one the suspension is going to be stock until it gets over to LTI.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Why would a sprung flop and not stay on its perch unless you are using too short of a spring?

With dual rates I would imagine the second rating would be considerably different than the other? I don’t know spring ratings well enough to know if 50 is a big number or not.

c_land

Reaction score
Is that a braced stock trailing arm I see there?
Yes sir. Just come 1" tube we bent and welded in there. I was planning on wrapping the trailing arm at the pivot but never finished.

Before I got the velocity shocks on this car I did a factory spring swap. I ordered another 2 seat front spring and swapped it with the tender. It helped, but there are no cross over rings from the factory so it didn't make a huge difference.

The velocity shocks by walker evans are the favorite I have experienced. They were designed around these sxs and seem to work really well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Yes sir. Just come 1" tube we bent and welded in there. I was planning on wrapping the trailing arm at the pivot but never finished.

Before I got the velocity shocks on this car I did a factory spring swap. I ordered another 2 seat front spring and swapped it with the tender. It helped, but there are no cross over rings from the factory so it didn't make a huge difference.

The velocity shocks by walker evans are the favorite I have experienced. They were designed around these sxs and seem to work really well.

Nice work.

With all the new machines out I just can’t stand to put any more big money into mine. It’s basically done and I’m really happy with the 2.5 fronts and the reworked stock rears with good springs. I’m debating on trying a front sway bar, but I felt a good improvement just changing my front tire pressure. I need to play with it a little more.

If I was just starting with a stock car I’d look hard at just throwing the Walker Velocity setup on it and not messing around though.