WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Current Situation - a picture thread

Your ad here

Reaction score
Concrete pads for rack storage.
20191010_140716.jpg

Meaney77

Reaction score
On our way to havasu. Obligatory stop at Barstow Del taco (OG) and low and behold the founder is behind the counter serving people. Great guy.

View attachment 805872

That guy is super cool, we have seen him in there several times and he always makes a point to chat and make sure that our food is good and what we ordered. He’s not afraid to work- seen him pack orders, clean tables and sweep floors too.

Tank

Reaction score
That guy is super cool, we have seen him in there several times and he always makes a point to chat and make sure that our food is good and what we ordered. He’s not afraid to work- seen him pack orders, clean tables and sweep floors too.

He’s legit! Old school
Work ethic. I felt like we were meeting a rock star or something. I asked to take a pic with him and he’s like oh yea sure, do you guys come here much? Lol I’m like yes sir. Every chance we get!!
D14AE43E-C4FC-43AC-9196-4264671E9E76.jpeg

Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth talks with media as he attends a grand opening of a new Dell Taco in Corona on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)

The Tuesday grand opening of a Del Taco in Corona was more like a reunion.

While the family that owns the franchise was out front getting pictures taken with the Corona Chamber of Commerce, Del Taco’s founder was sitting in the dining room with members of his family.

Ed Hackbarth, 85, was a player in the fast food revolution that started in San Bernardino in the 1950s. His story is intertwined with Taco Bell, Naugles, Wienerschintzel, and Bakers Drive-Thru. And it’s still unfolding.

Hackbarth who lives in Dana Point, said that on Monday he was cleaning tables at Barstow No. 1, one of three Del Tacos in the desert town that he kept when he sold off the chain in the 1970s. The chain got its start in nearby Yermo in 1964, serving travelers on the way to Nevada.

“When I opened my first Del Taco in Yermo, I called it my slot machine because everybody went to Vegas. Now I call all three of them slot machines. I’ve got to keep them going.”

Hackbarth got his start working for Glen Bell, of Taco Bell fame. He bought Bell’s restaurants to start Del Taco.

Hackbarth went on to mentor one of his Yermo employees, Dick Naugle, who went on to found the Naugles chain.

Naugle copied his menu, Hackbarth said.

“I had the foundation, but it was OK,” he said. “I don’t care about competition. It’s just every customer. How do you wait on him?”

In the 1980s, Hackbarth mentored Linda Oldfield, who has known him for 38 years and calls him a humble man. Oldfield heads CJR Restaurants, which owns the Corona franchise.

Oldfield said he has recently been checking on the Corona restaurant nearly every day.

Although Oldfield’s company has five other restaurants in Los Angeles and Orange counties, this one on 2260 Frontage Road was a big deal.

Until four years ago, Oldfield had a Del Taco on the site. It was torn down in the belief that the land would be needed for the 91 Freeway expansion that was completed last year. But the family was able to rebuild five feet from the original footprint.

The new Del Taco is state-of-the-art, said Oldfield’s daughter Janice Vanderwheel, with a longer drive-through, expanded parking lot, bigger dining room, and display case for fresh, hand-prepared produce behind the cash registers.

Del Taco has a long history in Corona. Hackbarth partnered with Naugle on the chain’s first drive-through, built in 1964 on Third Street land owned by Dave Jameson, a member of a local citrus-growing family. Because of Jameson, Del Taco headquarters were in Corona for awhile.

Hackbarth was joined at Corona with sons Jerry and Eugene and Eugene’s wife Priscilla, who all have history with Del Taco. Priscilla brought a yellow headscarf that was part of her uniform as an employee.

“That was my first job,” she said. “When I was 16 I got hired in Montebello. 1978. We wore white pants. We wore a yellow apron, the same color as the headscarf.

“Shortly thereafter my husband started working there, and the rest is history.”

“I’ve got five boys, and three of them married Taco girls,” said Hackbarth. “My story is, were they working, or were they dating?”

Hackbarth lives in Dana Point and commutes two hours when he visits Barstow. He said he kept the area restaurants because it was “a good situation.”

On Monday, he was working the noon hour.

“My first store yesterday had a record hour,” he said. That translates to “a lot of money.”

Fast food history
McDonald’s: First store opened in 1948 at 14th and E streets, San Bernardino.

Taco Bell: Founded in Downey in 1962 by Glen Bell after a number of ventures in San Bernardino, including a hot dog restaurant that branched into tacos.

Del Taco: Founded in Yermo by Ed Hackbarth, who started working for Bell in 1954 and later bought out his restaurants.

Baker’s Drive-Thru: Started by Neal Baker, a friend of Bell’s, and wife Carol in 1952.

Wienerschnitzel: Founded by John Galardi, a protege of Bell, in Wilmington in 1961.

K-DOG

Reaction score
He’s legit! Old school
Work ethic. I felt like we were meeting a rock star or something. I asked to take a pic with him and he’s like oh yea sure, do you guys come here much? Lol I’m like yes sir. Every chance we get!!
View attachment 805981

Del Taco founder Ed Hackbarth talks with media as he attends a grand opening of a new Dell Taco in Corona on Tuesday, June 26, 2018. (Stan Lim, The Press-Enterprise/SCNG)

While the family that owns the franchise was out front getting pictures taken with the Corona Chamber of Commerce, Del Taco’s founder was sitting in the dining room with members of his family.

Ed Hackbarth, 85, was a player in the fast food revolution that started in San Bernardino in the 1950s. His story is intertwined with Taco Bell, Naugles, Wienerschintzel, and Bakers Drive-Thru. And it’s still unfolding.

Hackbarth who lives in Dana Point, said that on Monday he was cleaning tables at Barstow No. 1, one of three Del Tacos in the desert town that he kept when he sold off the chain in the 1970s. The chain got its start in nearby Yermo in 1964, serving travelers on the way to Nevada.

“When I opened my first Del Taco in Yermo, I called it my slot machine because everybody went to Vegas. Now I call all three of them slot machines. I’ve got to keep them going.”

Hackbarth got his start working for Glen Bell, of Taco Bell fame. He bought Bell’s restaurants to start Del Taco.

Hackbarth went on to mentor one of his Yermo employees, Dick Naugle, who went on to found the Naugles chain.

“I had the foundation, but it was OK,” he said. “I don’t care about competition. It’s just every customer. How do you wait on him?”

In the 1980s, Hackbarth mentored Linda Oldfield, who has known him for 38 years and calls him a humble man. Oldfield heads CJR Restaurants, which owns the Corona franchise.

Oldfield said he has recently been checking on the Corona restaurant nearly every day.

Although Oldfield’s company has five other restaurants in Los Angeles and Orange counties, this one on 2260 Frontage Road was a big deal.

Until four years ago, Oldfield had a Del Taco on the site. It was torn down in the belief that the land would be needed for the 91 Freeway expansion that was completed last year. But the family was able to rebuild five feet from the original footprint.

The new Del Taco is state-of-the-art, said Oldfield’s daughter Janice Vanderwheel, with a longer drive-through, expanded parking lot, bigger dining room, and display case for fresh, hand-prepared produce behind the cash registers.

Del Taco has a long history in Corona. Hackbarth partnered with Naugle on the chain’s first drive-through, built in 1964 on Third Street land owned by Dave Jameson, a member of a local citrus-growing family. Because of Jameson, Del Taco headquarters were in Corona for awhile.

Hackbarth was joined at Corona with sons Jerry and Eugene and Eugene’s wife Priscilla, who all have history with Del Taco. Priscilla brought a yellow headscarf that was part of her uniform as an employee.

“That was my first job,” she said. “When I was 16 I got hired in Montebello. 1978. We wore white pants. We wore a yellow apron, the same color as the headscarf.

“I’ve got five boys, and three of them married Taco girls,” said Hackbarth. “My story is, were they working, or were they dating?”

Hackbarth lives in Dana Point and commutes two hours when he visits Barstow. He said he kept the area restaurants because it was “a good situation.”

“My first store yesterday had a record hour,” he said. That translates to “a lot of money.”

Fast food history
McDonald’s:
First store opened in 1948 at 14th and E streets, San Bernardino.

Taco Bell: Founded in Downey in 1962 by Glen Bell after a number of ventures in San Bernardino, including a hot dog restaurant that branched into tacos.

Del Taco: Founded in Yermo by Ed Hackbarth, who started working for Bell in 1954 and later bought out his restaurants.

Baker’s Drive-Thru: Started by Neal Baker, a friend of Bell’s, and wife Carol in 1952.

Wienerschnitzel: Founded by John Galardi, a protege of Bell, in Wilmington in 1961.

I went to high school in San Diego with his grandson. He always brought his lunch in Del Taco paper bags. lol

FreeBird236

Reaction score
He’s legit! Old school
View attachment 805981

Fast food history
McDonald’s:

I went to school with Neal Bakers daughter, and had the opportunity to talk to Neal a few times, he was a super nice guy. Not sure how it relates, but Taco Tia, a small fast food chain is in that mix also.

Meaney77

Reaction score
He’s legit! Old school
View attachment 805981

Fast food history
McDonald’s:

Good Stuff to read! There is just something very unique about the Barstow Del- Its the only one we (my wife and kids) eat at. The other Del Taco "chain" stores are terrible and dont even hold a candle to the one in Barstow. We stop every-time we pass through on our way to the river. Food is always good and consistent.

jonnyd

Reaction score
Little earlier today. Quick cash in 40 minutes. Still figuring this stuff out... anchored to the wall with a 5/8" drop in anchor. Decided to test how secure it was by pushing on the mast. Anchor popped out. Hammered the anchor back in and didn't fuck with it no more. Drilled 5" hole, 12" deep. Core is in lower left next to flashlight.
View attachment 805668

I used to do a lot of core drilling myself. It's quite the process just setting up the drill so it doesn't come off the wall. I was in commercial construction in San Francisco and did work on some buildings that were erected after the 1906 earthquake. What impressed me was how they fastened wood members to concrete. Someone had to drill a hole in the concrete and place a wooden dowel into hole to have something to attach to. I had much respect for the process as it probably took most of the day just to drill one hole.

KevinR

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon on Maui.

Standing on private property, the western slope of Haleakala Crater about 2,000 feet up. Cattle grazing down in front. North Shore on the right, South Shore on the left.

7B4F3D7E-B5EF-4F99-A7E8-4C6DF55DED98.jpeg

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
A&W car show in Boulder City. Small but some quality cars.

Attachments

• 20191013_152144.jpg
    20191013_152144.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 131