WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Amex Points- What do you use them for?

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Started using Amex for everything about a year or so ago to accumulate points and just pay it off at the end on the month. Haven't used any of the points yet but what's the biggest bang for the buck with them? Looks like you can convert to Hilton points at 2 for 1. Currently at 169,111 points.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Assuming you can redeem for cash, I'd wait to hit 200k and redeem the tax free $2k towards your next CC bill.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Started using Amex for everything about a year or so ago to accumulate points and just pay it off at the end on the month. Haven't used any of the points yet but what's the biggest bang for the buck with them? Looks like you can convert to Hilton points at 2 for 1. Currently at 169,111 points.
Just received a letter today from AMEX that they screwed up everyone's points and they are in the process of recalculating them and it'll be in the customers favor.
In other words, the points they deducted you'll simply get back.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Assuming you can redeem for cash, I'd wait to hit 200k and redeem the tax free $2k towards your next CC bill.
That's not a bad idea. Not much fun lol but might be an option especially with Christmas coming up

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Every card has different "points" advantages. Read deeper into the program to see where it'll benefit you most. Some are best for gas, some hotels, some airline, etc, etc. We use different cards for different points usage.
We've not paid much, if anything, for vacation flights and even some of the hotels. Fortunately my wife loves keeping all these details in order and finds the best deals. You can probably make a $5k trip cost near nothing or at least a fraction of it.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. Not much fun lol but might be an option especially with Christmas coming up
I get 3 points for every buck spent on fuel, food, and travel on my amex. I only really travel for work and have lots of free nights through Hotels.com, so cash makes sense for me. You may get 2:1 hilton points exchange, but how many hilton points does it take to get a night in a $250 room? If it's more than 50,000 hilton points, you're better off taking the cash. ($250=25000 amex points=50000 hilton points in exchage)

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Every card has different "points" advantages. Read deeper into the program to see where it'll benefit you most. Some are best for gas, some hotels, some airline, etc, etc. We use different cards for different points usage.
We've not paid much, if anything, for vacation flights and even some of the hotels. Fortunately my wife loves keeping all these details in order and finds the best deals. You can probably make a $5k trip cost near nothing or at least a fraction of it.

Very true, we did several free trips because of my work travel. Had tons of southwest and Hilton points. Kids were asking for flights, I had to cut them off since the travel slowed. Told them I'm saving whats left for me and your mom. Plus I like using the Hilton points for free weekends at the Hampton in Havi:D

Got a milestone anniversary next year so maybe ill save the amex points and put them towards that

sirbob

Reaction score
I’ve used them for Xmas gifts.

Scotty Camron putter last year

TayloMade driver the year before

I got a Bose speaker system for my office - etc

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Seems like , at least with Amex points, that if you are just going to cash out you would be better off with a cash back card. I don't think Amex even equals 1% on a cash out of points. Could be wrong.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
AMEX is the way to roll when in Europe.

Englewood

Reaction score
Great question...I have 250k miles and had the same questions.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Have a mil + amex points and transfer them the aeroplan for business class round trips at 110,000 miles ea. Able to fly any airline that is under the star alliance group.

In Europe now.

0DC511D5-943B-4E84-8997-252533A72E9E.jpeg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I can't remember where but a couple weeks ago the wife and I were at a business that only took AMEX, no Visa.
That was a first. Usually the other way around.

RaceTec

Reaction score
Use them to pay for me and my guys to go to PRI and other business trips...

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
I booked my flights to key west thru amex travel. The prices were better than if i had booked online. i used points to pay for them.
Then i get i get 50% of my points back since i booked thru amex. Not sure if i only get that deal because i have a black card.

Anyway it ended up taking less than 100k points for first class tickets from LAX to Key west happy lad

Cdog

Reaction score
There also a bunch of good promo’s with Amex you can log on and sign up for.

Uber $15 monthly credit
$20 credit off $100 purchase at Un tuckit dress shirts.

A bunch of others too.

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
My son-in-law is an Amex points genius. He uses Amex for many of his business expenses. His average monthly Amex bill is in excess of one-million dollars so his points accumulation is staggering. According to him, he sells those points to a broker who pays him in cash at a more favorable conversion rate than the conventional Amex points value.

Dalton

Reaction score
airfare. may need to transfer them to a partner though to get the most for your points.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
There also a bunch of good promo’s with Amex you can log on and sign up for.

Uber $15 monthly credit
$20 credit off $100 purchase at Un tuckit dress shirts.

A bunch of others too.

Yep, Plus priority pass access and lounge access if you flying delta airlines. Gold status on Hilton property’s.

This is on the amex business platinum card. There’s a bunch more things to sign up for.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We use our AMEX points on Amazon. Have a Chase Southwest rewards card for travel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

getreal

Reaction score
I have 3.3 M points on my Hilton AMEX card.

Cdog

Reaction score
We use our AMEX points on Amazon. Have a Chase Southwest rewards card for travel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I do the Amex platinum & SW chase visa. We run all personal through the SW chase card. Pays for all my flights to TX for racing & have got a companion pass for 2nd year in a row.

Amex for business. Works out well.

Cdog

Reaction score
Yep, Plus priority pass access and lounge access if you flying delta airlines. Gold status on Hilton property’s.

This is on the amex business platinum card. There’s a bunch more things to sign up for.

I have the personal platinum. Forgot to mention the $200 travel credit & free TSA pre/global entry.

It’s a great card if you use all that’s available to you.

50% of the stores in Europe take Amex. Almost all take visa from my experience.