WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

One thing I learned about flying Southwest today...

EBT531

Reaction score
I fly SWA every week to somewhere within the USA. I always get a A1-30 number so I am guaranteed an aisle seat even if I book that day which is almost impossible with other airlines. Plus I qualify for the companion pass so someone flies with me for free on every trip for the year.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
If you guys could give me any secrets or tips to get better seats that would be appreciated. I'm probably going to be flying quite a bit now.

KevinR

Reaction score
Herb Kelleher.

11C1003D-BCB6-4EFB-87EE-4C116D3284E9.jpeg

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Those that dislike SWA, try flying Spirit. Did that once SD to Vegas, never again!.

It’s not the airline that’s the problem. It’s the passengers. On discount carriers you have inexperienced pax’s that 1) don’t know how to move through a cabin. 2) navigate TSA. 3) onboard etiquette (they don’t even have any to start with) 4) have an over sense of entitlement . -and so on..
Spirit actually has the youngest aircraft fleet in the industry and a high on time rating. People shit on them cause they sell water for $3-4, but those same people don’t mind paying it in the airport??
SWA (WN) is just a cattle mover like the rest.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
One thing nobody yet mentioned is SWA only flies one ship.... 737s.... and those pilots are extremely well versed in flying that one ship. It can matter under stressful conditions. I learned this years ago while stranded in Jackson Mississippi Intl airport. They shut operations down due to a small amount of very rare snow as the airport doesn't have snow machines, de icers etc.... I was speaking with the gal who controlled when to open up the airport and she said '"you watch, the minute I announce we're open the first planes out of the sky will be the Southwest fleet. Thats because they only fly one plane and they can do it with their eyes shut." she was correct. Good to know in a pinch.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I fly SWA every other week and sometimes every week. They have the best rewards program and if you have status they don’t nickel and dime you if your travel plans change. No bag fees either. Most frequent fliers prefer them. You won’t get it if your an infrequent flyer. Lol... I nor my family have paid for airfare in a looooong time. If you fly between the Pacific Ocean and the Mississippi river frequently id recommend you get onboard. SWA is the quickest way to free air travel.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
One thing nobody yet mentioned is SWA only flies one ship.... 737s.... and those pilots are extremely well versed in flying that one ship. It can matter under stressful conditions. I learned this years ago while stranded in Jackson Mississippi Intl airport. They shut operations down due to a small amount of very rare snow as the airport doesn't have snow machines, de icers etc.... I was speaking with the gal who controlled when to open up the airport and she said '"you watch, the minute I announce we're open the first planes out of the sky will be the Southwest fleet. Thats because they only fly one plane and they can do it with their eyes shut." she was correct. Good to know in a pinch.
This post made me feel good about flying SWA!!
Several of us forum members work for SWA.
This post scared the fuck out of me flying SWA.:eek:

Last edited:

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I fly SWA every week to somewhere within the USA. I always get a A1-30 number so I am guaranteed an aisle seat even if I book that day which is almost impossible with other airlines. Plus I qualify for the companion pass so someone flies with me for free on every trip for the year.

Well, if you have to fly it seems like you’re making the best of it.

IMO there are no perks that make flying better than NOT flying

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Flying sucks! Over 2M miles, I really don't care any more.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
On a side note, when we realized on the flight back that we had such a high number, I "considered" faking an injury and saying I required a wheel chair and needed to board first.:D

When I flew home six of us got on with wheel chairs.. only one (me) got off with a wheelchair. The attendants call them “miracle flights”. People are fucked up.

By the way as I understand it they call “A group” and you stand in that section of the line in the order you walked up to it.. 1-10 etc.. At that point I don’t think the number on the ticket actually matters? Not that I would care enough to argue with someone about it. I hate SW, but anything is better than spirit.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
Another Southwest fan for the reasons stated. Quick, efficient and much easier than driving. It takes a few flights to figure the system out but once you do, it's super easy.

You quickly learn that if your middle seat is empty, lean over/place your stuff there, put down the tray table at the sight of any fat guy/girl. On the other hand, make eye contact/smile/tip your head to the empty seat to every small, cute girl that walks down the aisle.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Another Southwest fan for the reasons stated. Quick, efficient and much easier than driving. It takes a few flights to figure the system out but once you do, it's super easy.

You quickly learn that if your middle seat is empty, lean over/place your stuff there, put down the tray table at the sight of any fat guy/girl. On the other hand, make eye contact/smile/tip your head to the empty seat to every small, cute girl that walks down the aisle.

This is the actual problem with SW

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
This is the actual problem with SW
And how is the SW being blamed for this problem. People always want to bitch about this or that but when your shopping for tickets nobody wants to pay up the ass so you end up on SW and then we have to hear you bitch about it. Fly somebody else if your going to complain easy as that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
And how is the SW being blamed for this problem. People always want to bitch about this or that but when your shopping for tickets nobody wants to pay up the ass so you end up on SW and then we have to hear you bitch about it. Fly somebody else if your going to complain easy as that.

I don’t understand how assigned seating vs a free for all would affect ticket prices.. explain that

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
i dont have that answer but i would imagine there is a pretty good reason behind it being its been like that since day 1 and they still make record profits every yr. You do havet the option to board earlier than the rest for a small fee which i see is a pretty popular option. And lets be honest all the seats except the emergency row or front row have crappy leg room no matter middle seat or the others and that pretty much goes for all airlines these days trying to maximize the amount of people they try to squeeze on a plane

Singleton

Reaction score
I don’t understand how assigned seating vs a free for all would affect ticket prices.. explain that

Unassigned seats = ticket price is based on % of seats still available. Same price for all seats

Assigned seats = front of plane more $, premium economy more $, Isle seats reserved for frequent flyers. Price still based on % of seats available, but if you want a better seat you pay more

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Unassigned seats = ticket price is based on % of seats still available. Same price for all seats

Assigned seats = front of plane more $, premium economy more $, Isle seats reserved for frequent flyers. Price still based on % of seats available, but if you want a better seat you pay more

Or as mentioned in the post before this one you can pay more and board earlier.. Difference being?

Or like the other morally corrupt people that were on my plane just ask for a wheelchair and you go first no matter what. Lol

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Or as mentioned in the post before this one you can pay more and board earlier.. Difference being?

Or like the other morally corrupt people that were on my plane just ask for a wheelchair and you go first no matter what. Lol

Don’t hate the playa’, hate the game...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Singleton

Reaction score

That is upgraded boarding. Costs $30-50 per segment and gets you A1-15 (if available) and comes with a free drink. Can only be purchased at the gate.

SWA also has early bird check-in. That checks you into the flight 36 hours before departure and usually get you a boarding pass before B30. That costs $20-30 per segment based on ticket price

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
the only problem with the 24 hour ahead check in is when you take a flight from a hub out bound. those people coning into the hub got the boarding number hours earlier when they left the on their first leg.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Had over 150 flight last year. If you fly a lot you will figure out how to make SWA work. Cant beat the perk of a free companion pass, its pretty cool being able to have the wifey fly free.

Also no cancelation fees. This is a big one if you travel and your schedule changes or even to grab an earlier flight.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Ever notice how un-handicapped people become when the its time to get off the plane?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
We love Southwest. My wife is Business Select so she is always one of the first 16 to board and is checked in automatically. I fly companion pass and we get a stack of free upgrades so I can usually get A1 or A2 for our longer trips. Every flight we get two drink tix as well.

I just flew Delta to Georgia for business since our shop booked the flight for me and it sucked. Takes forever to board, shit seats unless you pay upgrades, etc. Never again.

waterhorse

Reaction score
I'm not getting the point here, other than a middle seat, why would I care what seat # I have? Why is A setion better? Getting off the plane quicker?

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Ever notice how un-handicapped people become when the its time to get off the plane?

That is the one thing I do HATE about SW. There was this group of six black women (not bringing race in to it, just painting the picture for you) a few months ago when we flew. Three were in wheel chairs and the others were their friends that were pushing them on the plane. Of course they were the first to board. When the plane landed and they all got off all three women in the wheel chairs didn't get chairs when the got of and all walked as fast or faster than us. F-N BS if you ask me. They will get theirs eventually. :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes:

Singleton

Reaction score
Had over 150 flight last year. If you fly a lot you will figure out how to make SWA work. Cant beat the perk of a free companion pass, its pretty cool being able to have the wifey fly free.

Also no cancelation fees. This is a big one if you travel and your schedule changes or even to grab an earlier flight.

Did you get the e-mail about the Rapid Reward program updates. Some things are changing 01/2020 and 01/2021

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
That is the one thing I do HATE about SW. There was this group of six black women (not bringing race in to it, just painting the picture for you) a few months ago when we flew. Three were in wheel chairs and the others were their friends that were pushing them on the plane. Of course they were the first to board. When the plane landed and they all got off all three women in the wheel chairs didn't get chairs when the got of and all walked as fast or faster than us. F-N BS if you ask me. They will get theirs eventually. :mad::mad::mad::rolleyes:

Exactly! Takes 30 min to roll there asses to the plane. I had a flight one time that 19 wheelchairs. Holy shit it took for ever to get on that plane. No problem if its legit, but most of these people seem to have some kind of mid-flight miracle and manage to get healed

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Did you get the e-mail about the Rapid Reward program updates. Some things are changing 01/2020 and 01/2021

I did, they are raising the companion pass requirements and a few other things.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm not getting the point here, other than a middle seat, why would I care what seat # I have? Why is A setion better? Getting off the plane quicker?

My wife and I use South West to go to Florida, Bahamas, Aruba, and lots of cross country flights with layovers. If there is a very short layover for our connection an extra 5 to 10min to get off the plane can make the difference between making your next flight or not.

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
That shit infuriates me. Just like people that abuse disabled plates.
It gets you on rides at Disneyland before everyone else also! Heats me up also, but Karma will get these losers, may take time, but will happen!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
When it comes to airplanes, at the end of the day its all just weight and load ratings. Airlines should switch to bench seating and charge by the pound. Problem solved... and I am no lightweight.

charred1

Reaction score
We fly SW from San Diego to Vegas 5 or 6 times per year....always a good experience. Last couple times we didn’t even bother with the whole boarding line stuff...we just sat in the bar until the last group was called. We always check our bags, so we walk straight to the back of the plane, smile to the stewardess, grab our seats and have a great 1hr 10min flight. Somehow we always manage to get free cocktails too...without coupons.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
I am really hesitant to fly with any airline so fucking stupid that they load the front of the plane first. The passengers seated in the back then must wait for the dumb shits to stow their carry on gear in the overhead compartments... Not to mention the time it takes some people to complete the very simple task of sitting down while rear seat passengers stand there waiting... LOAD THE BACK FIRST you IDIOTS....Yes, the front of the plane can / should de plane first and be AWARE of the people waiting for them to get their stuff and get off the plane... I have heard there are airlines that finally wised up as to how to load a plane in the most efficient manner...All this is kind of a moot point because I really don't have any plans to fly anywhere again... Hawaii could change that if I win an "all expense paid dream vacation".... I'm still waiting for Publishers Clearing House to come knocking on my door... I know they're coming I just wish they'd hurry up....
Ray
Every carrier loads the front of the plane first - First & Business class, then anyone that needs extra help/families then everyone else.

All of the airlines suck nowadays. They nickel and dime you for everything and the seating on the sub 5 hour flights keeps getting more cramped.

I am all good with SWA especially when checking bags. Just need to know the rules to play the game. Many basic economy seats on other airlines will charge you extra to select an assigned seat.

530RL

Reaction score
A long time ago, airlines were regulated. They had expensive fares and excellent service.

Then in 1978 deregulation came about and the good news is that fares are much cheaper in real terms and flight availability and accessibility is much more abundant. The bad news is that airlines replaced the bus station.

So as opposed to wearing suits and having carved prime rib, you now sometimes get stuck next to people who have not bathed in several days and think Hefty is a luggage brand. But in real dollar terms, it is dirt cheap compared to when it was regulated.

That's progress. :)

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
When it comes to airplanes, at the end of the day its all just weight and load ratings. Airlines should switch to bench seating and charge by the pound. Problem solved... and I am no lightweight.
LOL!! :D That's funny right there.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
On long flights with an assigned seat I tend to wait longer to board than most folks do. I'll find a bar near the gate and wait it out. It's always fun to see the poor sap that thinks he's gonna sit in my assigned isle seat. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

These chicks must take a lot of southwest flights.. lol. When they all got up and started walking I felt like breaking their legs..

It gets you on rides at Disneyland before everyone else also! Heats me up also, but Karma will get these losers, may take time, but will happen!

They changed that more into a kind of fast pass scenario but with limitations. It’s loke a fast pass but the wait is was around 20-30 minutes instead of 45+.. The limitation is you can only get one at a time where a fast pass you can go get multiple and then hit all the rides.

It’s not like the old days where you just Goto the front of the line.

nameisbond

Reaction score
If I fly its on Alaska. Its based in Seattle, their HQ is there. Alaska has a big presence here out of Bellingham. My second choice and if I fly out of Canada is Air Canada.

My mom has COPD and is on oxygen. She has handicap parking. She doesn't like driving with oxygen on. So I drive her a lot. The other day saw a car in handicap parking without the placard. Just happened there was a cop nearby. Told the cop who waited for the people to come out of the store. $150 fine and a lecture from the cop. Cop told me its their pet peeve. But they wait to see if the people just forgot to put the tag on their mirror...………………………………….

Last edited:

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score

The "free for all" is a quicker boarding process than assigned seats. When I started working for SWA we did 10 minute turns regularly. The planes aren't making money sitting on the ground.

franky

Reaction score
I think the reason for the attitude in line is because most SWA passengers are commuters and fly a lot and the open seating is routine for them, so I guess they kind of expect everyone else to get with the program, I just make really sure I'm standing in the right spot, lol. I like SWA and their employees and flight attendants are really nice. I try to check in exactly 24 hrs before the flight to get a good spot in line, my buddy and I play it like a game to see if we can get in the A group, but it almost never happens.
pay the $15 extra for preboard

franky

Reaction score
Any business owner/senior manager should read the book "The Southwest Airlines Way". It is about succeeding in business by developing relationships and taking care of your employees and suppliers. Good read.

When I flew SW, which I did A LOT back in the day, I would hand the stewardess a list of what I wanted to drink. She would look at me like I was crazy and I would just tell her I will be a lot less trouble if you just bring that all at once.

I luv that airline

Attachments

• SW cocktail.jpg
    SW cocktail.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 61

jet496

Reaction score
I laugh at people with a zillion miles and all their "perks" from spending hundreds of hours at airports and thousands of hours on airplanes. Flying sucks. Flying a lot sucks. A lot. And flying Southworst sucks even more
Flying sucks no matter what airline. I think AeroMexico is one of the best though. They're like back in the 70's & treat you like kings.

We fly Southwest because it goes where we want & it is nice to change your flights last minute, even for coming home, without a big gouge in costs.

I'm dreading retirement when my wife wants to travel the world. I just have to keep spending too much so that doesn't happen LOL.