WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do you ever REALLY know someone? An old Coworker lost it..

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I used to work with this guy. I flew several trips with him, and got along with him great. He was really funny and always a generally happy person. I never would have seen this coming. Here is a little backstory;

He was dating a woman who was in the same National Guard post as him. They both had kids from previous relationships. They got in a fight one day and he threw her computer and destroyed it. She called the police and they arrested him and decided they would charge him with a felony based on the value of the computer he destroyed. He left his home in Colorado springs on a trip for work. On his trip, he realized he was too stressed out to be flying and worried he was going to lose his career when his arrest caught up with his job. He came home from work early and found her at his house trying to recover some of her stuff. At some point that confrontation lead to him being at her house, where he murdered and decapitated her. He then went on the run from Colorado Springs. The police were worried he would use his flying benefits as an Airline pilot to get far away fast, so they had Skywest shut off all of his benefits immediately.

A couple days later he was in St. George, UT. He used a large floor mat to throw over the barbed wire on top of the chain link fence to break into the airport. He then broke into a Skywest CRJ on the field and fired it up. He used reverse thrust to back away from the jet bridge and then tried to turn out, presumably to take off. When he tried to turn out, the plane did not turn sharp enough and took out part of the jet bridge and the terminal with the wing. At that point he throttled ahead into the parking lot, taking out several vehicles. He then walked to the back of the airplane and ended his life with a self inflicted gunshot. A day or two later, James Holmes walked into a theatre in Denver and gunned down a bunch of people watching Batman. That effectively kept this story out of the news. It was absolutely tragic that he took an innocent woman's life, and all of their collective children are left without parents.

Even when you know someone, you never REALLY know them..

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Wow, you just never know. Thanks for sharing.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
I remember when that happened

buck35

Reaction score
In an earlier post you mentioned. Losing several folks you knew in the biz.
My cuz flying Brian grew up up in federal way in the 70s and flew for continental airlines until he went down in a seaplane returning from Alaska . He lived to fly ,and had instructor ratings for gliders, float planes, multi engine, you name it.
He used to take me up from time to time and was always a rush.:(:cool:

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I had an employee once that was a great worker, family man, had him and his family to my house for dinner and we went fishing a few times. One day the state police show up and arrest him for murder of his old neighbor. Killed the guy because he cut across his driveway on his bike. Turned out to be in the country illegally for 18 years under 4 different names. Had nine kids by six women. When things got bad, he just changed names and moved on. Served 10 years on a plea and was deported back to Mexico. I will guarantee you he is back in the US and living next door to someone that doesn't know the danger they are in.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
We had a new Industrial Engineer at work a couple years ago. Dude was super positive, super happy, and loved any idea HR came up with. That he was a complete moron and couldn't engineer a wet fart was beside the point. After about a month on the job he never comes back, took HR about 6 months to let it slip that he killed his wife after he caught her cheating on him. I still give the HR team shit about their psych profiles they make new hires take.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I used to work with this guy. I flew several trips with him, and got along with him great. He was really funny and always a generally happy person. I never would have seen this coming. Here is a little backstory;

He was dating a woman who was in the same National Guard post as him. They both had kids from previous relationships. They got in a fight one day and he threw her computer and destroyed it. She called the police and they arrested him and decided they would charge him with a felony based on the value of the computer he destroyed. He left his home in Colorado springs on a trip for work. On his trip, he realized he was too stressed out to be flying and worried he was going to lose his career when his arrest caught up with his job. He came home from work early and found her at his house trying to recover some of her stuff. At some point that confrontation lead to him being at her house, where he murdered and decapitated her. He then went on the run from Colorado Springs. The police were worried he would use his flying benefits as an Airline pilot to get far away fast, so they had Skywest shut off all of his benefits immediately.

A couple days later he was in St. George, UT. He used a large floor mat to throw over the barbed wire on top of the chain link fence to break into the airport. He then broke into a Skywest CRJ on the field and fired it up. He used reverse thrust to back away from the jet bridge and then tried to turn out, presumably to take off. When he tried to turn out, the plane did not turn sharp enough and took out part of the jet bridge and the terminal with the wing. At that point he throttled ahead into the parking lot, taking out several vehicles. He then walked to the back of the airplane and ended his life with a self inflicted gunshot. A day or two later, James Holmes walked into a theatre in Denver and gunned down a bunch of people watching Batman. That effectively kept this story out of the news. It was absolutely tragic that he took an innocent woman's life, and all of their collective children are left without parents.

Damn, that’s a trip.
You don’t normally associate a learned man like an airline pilot as one who is subject to lose control like that.
In school in Alaska we had a guy we all knew who was totally cray. He was NOT our friend but everyone knew who he was.
Later on, like in out early 20’s, One day he was bragging to us about a guy he killed. He took us to the crime scene. Body was gone and next day was in the newspaper. He did that shit right on Benson Blvd in Midtown Anchorage. We didn’t know what to do. The last thing you wanted to do was have Kippy lurking outside your house. As it turned out it didn’t matter. Soon afterward he was arrested for killing a mother and 3 young children. Threw all the kids in a river to drown, then raped the mom and killed her as well.
The Dad was out of State training for his job or whatever. He got Life w/o.
Ive posted many times about our association with “Bob the Baker” in Alaska as well. Robert Hanson. Google him.
We would skip school and hang out at Hanson’s bakery bullshitting with Bob the Baker and he’d give us free donuts and sodas and never narc’d us out. Think his final tally was 26 bodies confessed to, 34 suspected. (Google Robert Hanson)
My very good friend David Graves (RIP) was the KEY and only first hand witness to Charles Meach’s fit of fury when he killed the 4 teens in the park next to our houses. (Google it)
He saw Meach lurking in the trees minutes after the murders , while my buddy was actually preparing to steal Meach’s bicycle.

Where I grew up, sadly, killing was seemingly everyday.

DWC

Reaction score
Had a guy work nights for me in the late 80’s. He was an electrician during the day and worked with us in the evenings. He got caught trying to rob his other boss. Stabbed her a shitload of times and went to Vegas in her car with her credit cards. Dudes name was Mike Hawk. Nice guy. Some piss poor decisions.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
National Guard, and a commercial pilot...
Probably nothing in his past even remotely noteworthy.
Sometimes a switch is flipped, or a wire shorts...

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Serial killers live among us.
Know that.

The FBI will say that Appr 50 serial killers are active nation wide at any given time. Given their own parameters of what actually constitutes a “serial killer” that number is wildly understated.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
In an earlier post you mentioned. Losing several folks you knew in the biz.
My cuz flying Brian grew up up in federal way in the 70s and flew for continental airlines until he went down in a seaplane returning from Alaska . He lived to fly ,and had instructor ratings for gliders, float planes, multi engine, you name it.
He used to take me up from time to time and was always a rush.:(:cool:

I did mention that, but this guy wasn't one I was referencing. The buddies I lost were to unexpected health issues, car accidents and plane crashes. It always makes you rethink your priorities in life. I know lots of members on here have had these experiences with children or spouses and I don't even know how they go on. Interestingly enough I currently live real close to Federal Way. Based in Seattle now.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I did mention that, but this guy wasn't one I was referencing. The buddies I lost were to unexpected health issues, car accidents and plane crashes. It always makes you rethink your priorities in life. I know lots of members on here have had these experiences with children or spouses and I don't even know how they go on. Interestingly enough I currently live real close to Federal Way. Based in Seattle now.

Ah yes...federal way

ever heard of Gary Ridgway?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Ah yes...federal way

ever heard of Gary Ridgway?

Haha, ya. One of his old houses is pretty close to me. I always go running down the Green River trail where he dumped his bodies, and then came back later to have sex with the corpses again. Israel Keys scares me the most for serial killers. No way to know how many he killed. I listen to way too many True Crime Podcasts.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
A guy that my brother and I played football with and his older sister was in my grade had some crazy shit happen too, not decapitate a girlfriend crazy, but crazy......

Turns out they had another sister that their parents kept locked up in a shed in their back yard. The dad would beat her and, if I'm recalling correctly, rape her. They would never be allowed to talk about their sister or else they would get beat too (turns out I had see the aftermath of it on the sister's face a couple times). The parents were a little standoffish but nothing too alarming. The kids were great, well adjusted people. Absolutely mind boggling when the parents were arrested. Specially since we were all in 8th and 9th grade.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Well there are quite a few veterans on here but I'm pretty sure they don't want to talk about it.

Completely understood.
There is a marked difference between Killing a man looking directly into his eyes knowing you are justified, and killing a man because you are ordered to...at least that wold be my assumption.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Had a guy work nights for me in the late 80’s. He was an electrician during the day and worked with us in the evenings. He got caught trying to rob his other boss. Stabbed her a shitload of times and went to Vegas in her car with her credit cards. Dudes name was Mike Hawk. Nice guy. Some piss poor decisions.
I’m sorry, did you say Mike Hawk ?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I went to school with Louis Buono. His uncle was Angelo Buono, one of the Hillside stranglers in LA. I use to see him all the time picking up Louis. None of thought anything about him.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
my next door neighbor murder his wife throwing her off the cliff in Lytle Creek about 25 ish years ago.. climb down the hill, she was still alive, he killed her with a rock...

my Brother in Laws (ex bus. Partner) nephew killed his wife..

the neighbor behind me, cousins was shot and killed in our hood.... he threatened someone with the gun, they other person took the gun and killed him...

F.ing SICK PEOPLE walk amongst us...

JD D05

Reaction score
A person I have a lot of respect for asked me a question the other day...He asked " what % of the worlds population would have to be taken away for those that are bad people" .

I found it interesting. Not saying people that cheat or stuff like that. Thief's, killers, etc for the wrong reasons.

I said 30%, he said 60%.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
A person I have a lot of respect for asked me a question the other day...He asked " what % of the worlds population would have to be taken away for those that are bad people" .

I found it interesting. Not saying people that cheat or stuff like that. Thief's, killers, etc for the wrong reasons.

I said 30%, he said 60%.

What % would the Clintons be in?

73beast

Reaction score
Haha, ya. One of his old houses is pretty close to me. I always go running down the Green River trail where he dumped his bodies, and then came back later to have sex with the corpses again. Israel Keys scares me the most for serial killers. No way to know how many he killed. I listen to way too many True Crime Podcasts.
Israel Keyes,met him once,he was my son-in-laws cousin. In his travels, he spent time visiting them in Newport Beach at their home and met him.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Keyes

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I have a close family member that is in prison for the rest of his natural life for killing a man. Grew up together, saw each other all the time, played at his house and vice versa.

Stabbed the guy a few dozen times. All of it over a woman.

I had seen him just a week prior and he had been planning this for a while. No one had any idea.

96scarab

Reaction score

I remember when that happened. Maintenance control got a phone call and was told an airplane was in the parking lot with the engines running. He went down to the airport, climbed inside to shut it down and didn't realize the pilot was in the back of the plane dead....

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

I said 30%, he said 60%.

That is an interesting question.
Reminds me a David Bowie song.
“God knows I’m good”

I don’t think it can be done. I think the % would adjust itself, more or less, no matter the population?

96scarab

Reaction score
Should have removed the steering bypass pin. That’s why he had no steering. Landing gears were probably pinned too.

The CRJ 200's don't have a steering bypass pin. I believe he was a FO, so he probably forgot to arm the steering.

nameisbond

Reaction score
Had a guy who was in my class in elementary school, he latter moved. He hired two friends to kill his mother and grand mother. They successfully killed them. It was for the life insurance. The grand mother owned several successful clothing stores. My mother knew the grand mother. The grand mother lived in our neighborhood. The murders happened at her house. At the time murder was unheard of in our town. Our neighborhood was on edge, until the murderers caught. One of the three is out on parole. The murders happened in 1990.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3704354/...-murder-in-tsawwassen-getting-parole-hearing/

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The CRJ 200's don't have a steering bypass pin. I believe he was a FO, so he probably forgot to arm the steering.

He was definitely a captain. The rumor was that the hydraulic steering was deactivated by the weight off wheels sensor when he used reverse thrust to back out. I don't know if that was true.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Damn, I guess I've lived a pretty vanilla life. Shot a bird once out of a tree with a BB gun. :D
christmas-story-.jpg

96scarab

Reaction score
He was definitely a captain. The rumor was that the hydraulic steering was deactivated by the weight off wheels sensor when he used reverse thrust to back out. I don't know if that was true.

Ok . Yeah I couldn't remember if he was captain or not. Now who has the CVR recording? That would be creepy to listen too.

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
No kidding, really?:eek:
I have a lousy memory but I believe It involved trying to hire a hit man? I’m sure some other members will remember. It was mentioned in a thread years ago about TV shows you like but don’t want to admit it. I still watch Snapped occasionally .

wayniac

Reaction score
I was in high school when all this went down..

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-02-21-me-873-story.html

the lady was having parties at her house, and everyone knew about them... I guess it was bound to all come out. FBI called our whole group in to interview us. We used to laugh at the same random vans with blacked out windows that showed up around their houses and parked for days. Everyone was so young and stupid then... Sad part, is Issac never escaped those demons and ended up drinking himself to death years later... that lady got off easy...