WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Earthquake Predictions

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I've now had two different people tell me there's a prediction out there that a "big one" will be hitting Southern CA within the next couple of weeks and new technology has been developed that makes this prediction possible.

Anybody else hearing this or is it BS?

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything and not sure what to believe as far as the technology to predict one.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I've now had two different people tell me there's a prediction out there that a "big one" will be hitting Southern CA within the next couple of weeks and new technology has been developed that makes this prediction possible.

Although we’re way overdue for the San Andreas Fault to slip and crank out a massive earthquake I’ve never heard anyone at Cal Tech claim they can now actually predict them, lol.

HCP3

Reaction score

100% BS. Earthquakes cannot be predicted.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
I thought earthquake weather always helped us predict them? :D

Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
They've been talking about "the big one" being overdue since I was a kid in elementary school in the 80s. Just go with the boy scout theory, always be prepared. Try to at least, to the best of your abilities. If you have an RV, leave it stocked, and park it with water tank full. If you commute, make sure you know every route to get home, and never assume you can get gas on the the way. If you need meds, make sure you have spares put away in a rotating inventory.

I don't they can predict them anymore than the rest of us. It will happen though, but to what extent, who knows. Better to have a plan and supplies for your family, than rely on the state...for anything.

HCP3

Reaction score
They can predict them but the warning is about 15 seconds give or take. The lady from cal tech was calling aftershocks after the ridgecrest quake and counting them down that was pretty cool.

They have an ap now and they will be using an amber alert like system to give early warning.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ne...quake-alerts-to-become-available-14539666.php

2.1 seconds warning is hardly a prediction, but with that said, I am all for the continuing advancement of the warning system that has been developed since 2012. Shitty that Newsom somehow put his name attached to it.

As far as the CalTech lady goes, aftershocks are much easier to "predict" than main shocks. There is statistical data of aftershock frequency.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Honestly, anything less than an hour out is a warning, not really a prediction as it really does not provide much benefit to people at all. The only "prediction" they can do is to say faults are stressed. That's it. Someone posted the article on the Ridgecrest quake thread about that earthquake stressing the long dormant garlock fault which could produce a 8.0 due to its size.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

brgrcru

Reaction score
About as predictable as a gold coin or silver coin rush , or that Iraqi dinars will be worth a shit load .

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Or hle will put up a sign "NO Earthquakes allowed"

As I understand it, he plans on making California an Earthquake free zone, then creating a tax to enforce it. Should work about as well as that gun free zone thing they do, so not at all.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
100% BS. Earthquakes cannot be predicted.

Not so sure about that. We cannot predict them yet. But have you ever seen birds all take to the air before one hits ??? It’s a fairly common phenomenon. Some scientists believe it has to do with the buildup of electro magnetic energy before the quake. Who really knows......