WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I don’t care who you are...

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The mid West university marching bands are the real deal. Ohio State is one of the best. The rest in other parts of the country are just pretending. I actually recall when SC was caught using phony musicians to march in the band just so they could attempt some formations. The SC band really does suck. Appears they've got a song book of about 3-4 songs. Boring . . . .!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Have to admit, never been a fan af marching band stuff. That however, was some really impressive performing by a small army. Not to mention, it was about as American as anything I have seen...good job guys:cool:

Music to my Ears

Conducting Beautiful Music
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It may not be something everyone connects with but there’s no denying the hard work, commitment, and passion that has gone into this halftime show by these students. Agreed that the best college bands in this country come from the Midwest - Ohio, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin and others, as well as University of Texas. Just generalizing here but IMO, they are in another league than the West Coast bands. I love that this show is not only patriotic, but represents old school marching bands supporting their college football teams. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
I'm biased, but I grew up going to the FSU football games as a child. They had several hundred members in their marching band and it was always an amazing performance. They also have one of the best drum lines of any college band. If you are into music or marching band drum lines, Google "FSU Big 8" and check out some of the older videos. Lots of talent! ;)

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I did marching band for two out of three high school years.
i was in band in JR high. First year of high school I signed up for band not realizing it what I tailed. Met a gal and tolerated marching band for a year and a half. She became drum major her senior, my junior year.
Kind of tough being the token stoner especially at the stadium being on the field while my stoner buds were in the stands trying to clown me.
Yea we’ll at least I was getting some and they weren’t.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
It’s pretty mind-boggling to think about the amount of time, talent and imagination that goes into the choreography of a performance like that. WOW! :cool:

SixD9R

Reaction score
That was great! Thanks for posting. Very nice tribute to America's space superiority.
It's a shame that some people would rather spend our tax money on freebies for peeps that don't want to earn it on their own.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It may not be something everyone connects with but there’s no denying the hard work, commitment, and passion that has gone into this halftime show by these students. Agreed that the best college bands in this country come from the Midwest - Ohio, University of Michigan, University of Wisconsin and others, as well as University of Texas. Just generalizing here but IMO, they are in another league than the West Coast bands. I love that this show is not only patriotic, but represents old school marching bands supporting their college football teams. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw a story on the USC band director who is retiring after 50 years. The SC band has performed all over the world and has been in many movies and backed up a lot of rock bands. Fleetwood Mac was one of them. Did you know him and did they ever play at Disneyland.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I saw a story on the USC band director who is retiring after 50 years. The SC band has performed all over the world and has been in many mo vies and backed up a lot of rock bands. Fleetwood Mac was one of them. Did you know him and did they ever play at Disneyland.

Frazier Smith likes the Ralph Kramden buss driver uniforms OS wears.
A marching band should first have camaraderie and character and fun. Ohio State has all that.
Tubby Essington
marching-band-drum-major-biographies-essington.jpg

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Is it a rumor or is Stanford’s marching band kicked out of several College Stadiums?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Is it a rumor or is Stanford’s marching band kicked out of several College Stadiums?

The Stanford Band was once known to pull off some pretty wild antics. Saw them one time, while performing at a football stadium, when their drum line was passing around Colt 45 tall boys from an ice chest they had stored within a bass drum. Hilarious, and they could play.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPC

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
School marching bands at the high school and college level may be the ultimate school team activity. Not only must you be capable and reliable, you learn you have to depend on others. I was never in the school band. But, I have great respect for their abilities and dedication. Stats have proven they make great employees and typically become very successful.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Speaking of Marching Bands and Dizland check this out. It’s a prestigious BFD at this HS in Japan to make the cut:

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
I saw a story on the USC band director who is retiring after 50 years. The SC band has performed all over the world and has been in many movies and backed up a lot of rock bands. Fleetwood Mac was one of them. Did you know him and did they ever play at Disneyland.

Art Bartner has been a friend of the family since the late 60’s. He’s a character for sure and beloved at USC. Yes, this is his last year. Some tough shoes to fill!

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
Speaking of Marching Bands and Dizland check this out. It’s a prestigious BFD at this HS in Japan to make the cut:

This band performed at Disneyland last year through the guest band program. They were amazing!

Reactions: TPC

Music to my Ears

Reaction score
I'm biased, but I grew up going to the FSU football games as a child. They had several hundred members in their marching band and it was always an amazing performance. They also have one of the best drum lines of any college band. If you are into music or marching band drum lines, Google "FSU Big 8" and check out some of the older videos. Lots of talent! ;)

FSU has been great for years as well. I have a drummer in my drum line in the Disneyland Band that graduated from their and moved here about 5 years ago. He’s very talented!

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
School marching bands at the high school and college level may be the ultimate school team activity. Not only must you be capable and reliable, you learn you have to depend on others. I was never in the school band. But, I have great respect for their abilities and dedication. Stats have proven they make great employees and typically become very successful.

We marched to the state title 3 years in a row, at the time a record for our school size. Worked our butts off, two practices a day, including additional practice on Saturday after playing at the home games in Friday night.

The sports teams at our HS couldn't find their asses with both hands and a road map, but that didn't stop the "band fag jokes". One day the football coach sat his players down and told them that if they worked half as hard as the band did the football team would go to state as well.

I don't remember much of what I did in HS fondly, but Marching Band was the highlight of my growing up.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
That was awesome!
And to think they’re playing music while doing it [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk