WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Do you ever REALLY know someone? An old Coworker lost it..

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I used to work with this guy. I flew several trips with him, and got along with him great. He was really funny and always a generally happy person. I never would have seen this coming. Here is a little backstory;

He was dating a woman who was in the same National Guard post as him. They both had kids from previous relationships. They got in a fight one day and he threw her computer and destroyed it. She called the police and they arrested him and decided they would charge him with a felony based on the value of the computer he destroyed. He left his home in Colorado springs on a trip for work. On his trip, he realized he was too stressed out to be flying and worried he was going to lose his career when his arrest caught up with his job. He came home from work early and found her at his house trying to recover some of her stuff. At some point that confrontation lead to him being at her house, where he murdered and decapitated her. He then went on the run from Colorado Springs. The police were worried he would use his flying benefits as an Airline pilot to get far away fast, so they had Skywest shut off all of his benefits immediately.

A couple days later he was in St. George, UT. He used a large floor mat to throw over the barbed wire on top of the chain link fence to break into the airport. He then broke into a Skywest CRJ on the field and fired it up. He used reverse thrust to back away from the jet bridge and then tried to turn out, presumably to take off. When he tried to turn out, the plane did not turn sharp enough and took out part of the jet bridge and the terminal with the wing. At that point he throttled ahead into the parking lot, taking out several vehicles. He then walked to the back of the airplane and ended his life with a self inflicted gunshot. A day or two later, James Holmes walked into a theatre in Denver and gunned down a bunch of people watching Batman. That effectively kept this story out of the news. It was absolutely tragic that he took an innocent woman's life, and all of their collective children are left without parents.

Even when you know someone, you never REALLY know them..

This made local news

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Had a co-woker go MIA for a few days, when he came back, he said his son had passed away...

We all felt bad and chipped in a bunch of money and gave it to him. He quit a few weeks after that.

About 2 months later, a different co worker ran into his son.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I grew up in an upper-middle class area. Token Mexican(My Pops), 1 Black guy and 1 Asian...cracker central. On our street there were two things that were not quite like the OP, but still in the "Wow" category.

Pops left for work early, always. Notices a new car parked on the street. Never there early at night, and gone by 6am or so when we're off to school. He notices a guy in it, about day 3. Stops to see what's up, guy splits. Shows back up the next morning. Pops calls the police. They put him on hold, and pickup again asking if he is the guy in the work truck. "Yes...how do you know?" Well, he's with FBI, and they asked to not draw any attention. Everyone knew this car was out of place, but only the ones that left at 0'dark-thirty. About a week or two later, we found out we had a token Italian guy on the street. He was wanted on all kinds of racketeering stuff. I was pissed, every baseball season this guy would buy 10 candy bars for the fund raising deal!

A few years later, I was 13. Always hung out at the neighbor's house. A girl down the street showed up. She rarely came out, so we were shocked. Real pretty girl, about a year older. She said she could hang out because her parents were gone, and G'ma was watching the little ones. That was the only time we saw her outside of school. About a month later, all kinds of sheriffs on the road. Big time stuff in our boring neighborhood. Well, it turns out that her dad was sleeping with her, and the mom knew all about it. Sick mother fuckers! Never saw her after that day sitting in an unmarked, crying. House sat empty for a couple years. Eventually it was bought and flipped.

@was thatguy : No, don't think so. Would I? Probably. I think most would. It really is just a matter of what one would deem justifiable in their own eyes. Some will flip if you stomp their crack pipe, others if you sleep with their wife. Truth is, we don't know where the line is drawn, nor how close someone is to crossing it. I just try not to piss people off anymore. Don't need to be killed, nor do the killing...not yet anyways;)

77charger

Reaction score
Worked at pavilions in late 80s one other kid in there about 18 quiet guy etc it seemed like i remember he got a lil mad with another worker just walked it off he said later if that guy messes with me again ill kill him.Sounded more like a "ill kick his ass"type talk.

Well a couple years later found out he was arrested for murder dumped a body along a dirt road etc.Wasnt the guy from work he argued with but i guess a friend of his i guess kinda surprised he would really do something like that but guess you really dont know deep inside what kind of person they are.

Reactions: DWC

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a female student on my caseload. I teach Independent Study so I see kids one at a time. It isn't like a regular class and I get to know individual kids pretty good. I think she was a junior, but a bit behind on credits. Nice kid, pleasant, look you in the eye, good attitude about work etc. For her senior year she went back to Centennial. During this time she was living with her Grandparents.
She made the papers because she got her boyfriend and another dude to kill Grandma with a beating using a lamp. Grandma didn't approve of the boyfriend, and the girl wanted to be able to see him more.

I have had two other former students murdered. One was hitchicking to Alaska. I wasn't surprised when I heard the news. The second moved to Las Vegas upon graduation, eager to start a new life as the family was very poor and this girl was determined to have a better life. I think she was there just a few weeks when they found her dumped on the side of the road. Still unsolved. She was wearing new Vans shoes that my co-worker had given her as a birthday gift.

Your ad here

Reaction score
At work I carpooled with a co worker for about a month. At one time he had been locked up for stabbing a guy. Said he was on drugs at the time. Was a cool guy when not on drugs. On week 4 I knew he was on drugs again and put anything that was sharp in the bed of the truck. I was thinking great, I'm in stabbing range if anything happens. Was about to tell him no more carpooling but he stopped showing up for carpool. Drove himself a couple times then never saw him. Get a call about 9 months later... he stabbed and killed a guy and was on the run for about a week. I originally didn't want to carpool but it turned a 3+ hour drive home into a 2 hour drive. It was nice until that 4th week.
Haven't really experienced seeing anything crazy. Only thing that comes to mind was when the neighbor found out her husband was cheating on her and she was screaming at him. We needed ears plugs and lived 2 houses over. They got divorced.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Made a good friend named Pete Zelinski when we worked at Circuit City, I was like 17. He was an X Sheriff and seemed to have a way more level head than most of the staff, we never fought over commission and he was usually our conflict settler. Fast forward to about 6ish year's ago he found out his wife was banging another dude at work so he shot and killed her in their mbr or bathroom can't remember. He called the police on himself, made a statement, pled guilty if I remember correctly and is in prison. Happened in Salem Oregon area.

checkrd past

Reaction score
Had a guy work nights for me in the late 80’s. He was an electrician during the day and worked with us in the evenings. He got caught trying to rob his other boss. Stabbed her a shitload of times and went to Vegas in her car with her credit cards. Dudes name was Mike Hawk. Nice guy. Some piss poor decisions.
Thats not poor decisions ,that's just crazy

Reactions: DWC

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Made a good friend named Pete Zelinski when we worked at Circuit City, I was like 17. He was an X Sheriff and seemed to have a way more level head than most of the staff, we never fought over commission and he was usually our conflict settler. Fast forward to about 6ish year's ago he found out his wife was banging another dude at work so he shot and killed her in their mbr or bathroom can't remember. He called the police on himself, made a statement, pled guilty if I remember correctly and is in prison. Happened in Salem Oregon area.

A BIG left turn. :p I miss circuit city. Always went to the one on Tropicana and Pecos in Vegas. Bought a lot of stuff there.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Pussy is a powerful thing..

Wasn’t it Dirty Harry that said...

A123A0FE-FACD-4D42-98B9-5850EB278439.jpeg

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
You guys sure used to hang out with some interesting individuals.

On a positive note, advances in forensics such as familio DNA is proving to be a game changer for solving violent crimes such as serial killers and cold cases from decades ago. Working with genealogy experts to narrow down the scope of the suspect search. All these people voluntarily putting their DNA in databases to search their family history and end up matching one of their distant relatives to a heinous crime. Love this technology.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score

On a positive note, advances in forensics such as familio DNA is proving to be a game changer for solving violent crimes such as serial killers and cold cases from decades ago. Working with genealogy experts to narrow down the scope of the suspect search. All these people voluntarily putting their DNA in databases to search their family history and end up matching one of their distant relatives to a heinous crime. Love this technology.

You might know someone and not know it.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

But now the DNA companies are giving people the option of “opting out” to share with law enforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
But now the DNA companies are giving people the option of “opting out” to share with law enforcement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As they should and it was probably in response to some recent higher level case law decisions allowing LEO access to the databases. Those aren't the only DNA databases to query though

wishiknew

Reaction score
Had a guy work nights for me in the late 80’s. He was an electrician during the day and worked with us in the evenings. He got caught trying to rob his other boss. Stabbed her a shitload of times and went to Vegas in her car with her credit cards. Dudes name was Mike Hawk. Nice guy. Some piss poor decisions.
I worked for that lady for about 16 years lot more to this story !!!!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
my next door neighbor murder his wife throwing her off the cliff in Lytle Creek about 25 ish years ago.. climb down the hill, she was still alive, he killed her with a rock...

my Brother in Laws (ex bus. Partner) nephew killed his wife..

the neighbor behind me, cousins was shot and killed in our hood.... he threatened someone with the gun, they other person took the gun and killed him...

F.ing SICK PEOPLE walk amongst us...

I remember the neighbor deal well. Friends with neighbor.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Attias-Laughing-Cuffed-File-2002.jpg
During my second year of college, I worked at the recreational center as a front desk person. Occasionally I would have to go down to the gym to fill in, but there was only one time that got burned into my memory for good. I remember re racking the weights that the douchebags had left on the floor one night, and looking over and seeing this scrawny little white kid checking himself out and talking to himself in the mirror. He had huge hair, and the whole situation was very bizarre. Eventually he left without further issue.

Some short time later he hopped in his car and mowed down 5 kids right in front of my face. I remember the sound of the Saab engine, the squeal of the tires, the sound of him hitting all the parked cars, and each thump from him hitting the bodies.

This guy walks streets today a free man, anybody ever seen him?

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
View attachment 812568 During my second year of college, I worked at the recreational center as a front desk person. Occasionally I would have to go down to the gym to fill in, but there was only one time that got burned into my memory for good. I remember re racking the weights that the douchebags had left on the floor one night, and looking over and seeing this scrawny little white kid checking himself out and talking to himself in the mirror. He had huge hair, and the whole situation was very bizarre. Eventually he left without further issue.

Some short time later he hopped in his car and mowed down 5 kids right in front of my face. I remember the sound of the Saab engine, the squeal of the tires, the sound of him hitting all the parked cars, and each thump from him hitting the bodies.

Always makes me wonder what flipped the switch. Pure psychosis on that one. I have my thoughts. You?

Universal Elements

Reaction score
View attachment 812568 During my second year of college, I worked at the recreational center as a front desk person. Occasionally I would have to go down to the gym to fill in, but there was only one time that got burned into my memory for good. I remember re racking the weights that the douchebags had left on the floor one night, and looking over and seeing this scrawny little white kid checking himself out and talking to himself in the mirror. He had huge hair, and the whole situation was very bizarre. Eventually he left without further issue.

Damn, unbelievable that he is already out. I was looking up info on Gary Taylor the other day. He was sentenced to 22 years back in 2009. Wondering when he’s actually getting out with all these early releases in California.

Taboma

Reaction score
When the FBI came to visit, I couldn't believe they were investigating my geek engine tuner for murder(s).
John David Smith III, seemed a few of his X-Wives had simply disappeared. I told the FBI, I knew him because he did my engine tuning and although an acquaintance due to his profession we weren't really friends. Even after the FBI inquiry I was so convinced they were full-o-shit I was still using him and doing test rides with him. Even discussed the FBI probe and what a bummer it was he was being hounded constantly by the news media. Nobody I knew who knew him believed the FBI and we all knew we were being watched by them when we'd visit the shop or got together. That unmarked sedan was always nearby :eek: They even rented a shop across the alley from another buddy who was doing fab work for Monster Motorsports.

He eventually became the CTO for two companies I had invested in, Monster Motorsports and LaForza Motors, both in Escondido.

Well, intuition isn't always right and apparently skinny geeks are capable of murder and dismemberment, things certainly are not as they always seem.

The first day I met him he'd just moved to CA from Ohio after leaving Summit Racing. I'd inquired if he was married, he responded that he'd lost his wife ----- Seems what he really meant was, he'd cut her up, stuffed her in a box and dumped her remains in the woods.

Guy could tune the shit outta a 5.0 Ford and was equally proficient at making X's disappear. Probably would have gotten away with it, except his brother, who'd seen the box at Grandpa's and made John dispose of it (In the woods), was so tormented by this knowledge he finally rolled on him to the FBI.

Convicted in 2001, serving 15 to life in Marion Correctional, Ohio, denied parole in 2011 but I see he's up again for it this coming December. He needs to stay right where he's at.

Popular culture[edit]
He is the subject of the television movie Murder on Pleasant Drive,[3] episodes of Cold Case Files, Forensic Files and the books Stranger in my Bed by Michael Fleeman[4] and My Sister Is Missing: Bringing a Killer to Justice" by Sherrie Gladden-Davis.[5] The case was also featured on Medical Detectives, Forensic Files season 9, episode 19: Deadly Matrimony, and Who The Bleep Did I Marry season 2, episode 5: The Third Mrs. Smith.