WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Life can change in a second / head on crash on 95

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Coming into town tonight from California, just past the 95 sheriff’s station, guy in a Cadillac coming northbound crosses over the center line and hits two pickups going south head on in front of us. My wife worked on the man in the Cadillac and gave up, he was gone, she then moved on to the others and worked the most injured until fire and PD showed up.

Minute earlier and it would have been us. There was another guy who stopped with a RDP hat on, I didn’t catch his name.

The worst injured guy gave me his wife’s phone number, that was awful calling her. She has since called us back twice to thank my wife and give us updates now that she met him at the hospital.

So bizarre to see my wife turn away from the deceased and say he’s gone.

RIP to the deceased, somebody’s life was ruined when they got that call.

Picture below is Jimmy who is gonna make it, prayers to you my friend.

5B3B0F76-2E6E-4D7B-B3F4-CB5C28A0E8E5.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
:eek:Just drove in that way a couple hours ago too.
Sad to see/hear about these kinda accidents.:(

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Well I hope there’s not another one, just saw a bunch of police code 3 headed in that direction again.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
fuuuu I drive all the time - on two lane blacktop you got no time to move should some clown cross the lane

Awful man....

UD

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
We passed that on our way to Jacobs Row with all this kids. One of our party stopped, he works San Bernardino fire. I don't think he had and rdp swag on though. I spent years driving a tow truck and can usually tell if it's fatal just looking at the scene, this one was bad! If we wouldn't have had young children in the car I probably would have stopped, my wife actually asked me if I wanted her to stop.

The last fatal I stopped at was 4th of July 2018. I left that scene and had the thought that for every live lost, there is another one being born. A month and a day later, my now daughter was placed in my home as a foster child, her birth date is 7-4-18.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Chilling since I drive that tomorrow am

@ONE-A-DAY => your wife is a angel! The things she has done to help others while you are out and about are amazing!
Yes! She is a true testimate to why some people over come the most difficult hurdles in life. She fought and beat cancer and has since saved how many lives by just being at the right place at the right time and relying on her training. Really amazing to read about.

Walt, whenever I get to meet you and hopefully your wife, I need to AT LEAST buy her a drink.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
This thread hits home with me. Haven’t really spoke much about it but we were in a similar situation. My wife and I came up on an accident. She has a ton of Medical supplies in the back of her car (she’s a nurse) so she went right to work. After a quick assessment she realized one was gone and went to work on the other.

the two involved in the accident are really close Friends of ours.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
This thread hits home with me. Haven’t really spoke much about it but we were in a similar situation. My wife and I came up on an accident. She has a ton of Medical supplies in the back of her car (she’s a nurse) so she went right to work. After a quick assessment she realized one was gone and went to work on the other.

the two involved in the accident are really close Friends of ours.

Recently? If so, SOB it’s been a rough 12 months for you and the family!

rrrr

Reaction score
There have been two wrong way DUI head on crashes in Dallas in the last four days, and in both incidents the innocent driver died. One of the drunk drivers survived, he has had three DUIs and served several years in the state penitentiary.

The guys that were killed had a wife and kids. It's really difficult to accept that people who are good die in this manner. I'm sure Walt and his wife saw things no one should see, and I thank them for helping the injured.

WildWilly

Reaction score
I saw a post last night (scanner feed maybe) that said it was suspected the gent in the cadillac was a medical issue pre-accident and heart attack was mentioned. Thats just a rough deal all around.

Cheers to your wife Walt. My wife is a former trauma nurse and the daughter has followed in her footsteps and just recently becoming one. The things she's already seen and had to deal with is definitely changing her and her views

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Good on you and your wife. Thanks for stopping and doing all you could.

As far as life changing in a second: 100% truth

Heylam

Reaction score
Awesome that you were there to help make the most positive outcome that you could to a terrible situation.
I do have to say though, you sure are a shit magnet. Lots of bad situations keep coming your way. Hopefully only sunny days ahead for you and your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Wow, your wife, and yourself have had a rough couple weeks. Nurses have an intense job, especially trauma/and ER. I think it's most impressive to be able to maintain a calm demeanor when the world is on fire and the wheels are falling off. I'm sorry you two have had to be involved in the things you have, but I'm sure there are a lot of people that are thankful you did.

...and yes, life can change in an instant. If people don't believe it can, it just hasn't happened to them yet.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Awesome that you were there to help make the most positive outcome that you could to a terrible situation.
I do have to say though, you sure are a shit magnet. Lots of bad situations keep coming your way. Hopefully only sunny days ahead for you and your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No shit, I think I will go a bit slower this weekend in the boat :)

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I was kind of surprised when I read this morning that the fatal and driver of the north bound Cadillac which went head on in to 2 pick ups was 36 and from LHC.

TCHB

Reaction score
Today on the 95 in front of Food city another big crash. Looked like some one tuned into traffic. It looked some old SUV pulled right into on coming traffic.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Today on the 95 in front of Food city another big crash. Looked like some one tuned into traffic. It looked some old SUV pulled right into on coming traffic.
I've read that portion of the Hwy has more wrecks than anywhere else in town. Add in Snowbirds and the present construction then stand back and look out!

Taboma

Reaction score
Oh sure, blame the Snowbirds, the majority of which possess three times the mental capacity than the average one rung above poverty, doesn't give two fucks, "Free Spirit" Havasupian. :eek:
Between the junker cars doing 45 up the 95, distracted texting and the complete inability to negotiate a 4-way stop I'm far more concerned surrounded by AZ plated vehicles than I am Montana, both Dakotas, Idaho or upper mid-west plated trucks.
Many of whom just towed a 5th wheel or drove a Prevost half way across the country.
In one week in Havasu at any time of the year I have more close calls while driving 35-55 than during an entire year here in North County San Diego, despite having a certain barely speaking English demographic who doesn't comprende what a red traffic signal represents. (Smack Head Emoji ---- in two weeks) :p:p:p

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Oh sure, blame the Snowbirds, the majority of which possess three times the mental capacity than the average one rung above poverty, doesn't give two fucks, "Free Spirit" Havasupian. :eek:
Between the junker cars doing 45 up the 95, distracted texting and the complete inability to negotiate a 4-way stop I'm far more concerned surrounded by AZ plated vehicles than I am Montana, both Dakotas, Idaho or upper mid-west plated trucks.
Many of whom just towed a 5th wheel or drove a Prevost half way across the country.
In one week in Havasu at any time of the year I have more close calls while driving 35-55 than during an entire year here in North County San Diego, despite having a certain barely speaking English demographic who doesn't comprende what a red traffic signal represents. (Smack Head Emoji ---- in two weeks) :p:p:p
Believe if you check stats with Havasu PD there are more traffic accidents when Snowbirds are in town. We have also lived in North San Diego County. Having lived in Havasu for about 7 years, we find winter time driving to be much more precarious than summer. And yes, it is often the out of state plates with senior drivers. I’m stating from personal experience. Out of state duelies blowing right through a red light are not uncommon. Give the winter time parking lots at Safeway, Walgreens and Basha’s a try. Unless we’re driving out of town, our 2018 Suburban stays in the garage in the winter season.

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
In Phoenix we have drivers that in moving traffic will stop in the carpool lane and drive ACROSS the freeway to the offramp. Txting, distracting safety features, and the inability to negotiate driving do happen but it's more noticeable at certain times of the year. Inability to negotiate and out of state people (California rental vehicles) are the dangers. I patch asphalt in Phoenix on the road while other lanes are still active and see this shit daily. We have people cut through barricades and they know it's wrong so what do they do? They floor it down the wrong way and mow over curbs then look at you like who put that curb there.

PlanB

Reaction score

I have to agree. We also live in N. San Diego County, and the drivers in Havasu are much worse. I have always wondered why people in Havasu have such a hard time at a four way stop.

BajaT

Reaction score
Believe if you check stats with Havasu PD there are more traffic accidents when Snowbirds are in town. We have also lived in North San Diego County. Having lived in Havasu for about 7 years, we find winter time driving to be much more precarious than summer. And yes, it is often the out of state plates with senior drivers. I’m stating from personal experience. Out of state duelies blowing right through a red light are not uncommon. Give the winter time parking lots at Safeway, Walgreens and Basha’s a try. Unless we’re driving out of town, our 2018 Suburban stays in the garage in the winter season.
Population probably comes close to doubling when snowbirds are in town so not suprising all stats go up!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Population probably comes close to doubling when snowbirds are in town so not suprising all stats go up!
I'm talking about the number of accidents per the population at that time. That would take into account the winter increase in population. I'm curious, do you actually live in Havasu and drive among the Snowbirds? Granted, without Snowbirds LHC would likely not have a Super Walmart, Lowes, Tractor Supply and Home Depot. But, it has been my personal experience many Snowbirds are unsafe drivers.

Taboma

Reaction score
I'm talking about the number of accidents per the population at that time. That would take into account the winter increase in population. I'm curious, do you actually live in Havasu and drive among the Snowbirds? Granted, without Snowbirds LHC would likely not have a Super Walmart, Lowes, Tractor Supply and Home Depot. But, it has been my personal experience many Snowbirds are unsafe drivers.

I kinda wrote most of that tongue firmly planted in my cheek and chuckling :p:p YES, because I'm no spring chicken myself, I tend to defend us aging beauties a bit past our prime. :(
When I was in my teens I worked landscape maintenance at Rossmor Leisure World El Toro ---- OH SHIT, the stories of confusion, chaos and when in doubt these purple hairs simply freaking out and punching it --- and me and my Hispanic co-workers diving into the bushes.
So yes I get it, but when I'm in Havasu, you won't catch me driving around in my Sxs, I want some serious metal around me, even if it's a Ford beer can. ;)

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I kinda wrote most of that tongue firmly planted in my cheek and chuckling :p:p YES, because I'm no spring chicken myself, I tend to defend us aging beauties a bit past our prime. :(
When I was in my teens I worked landscape maintenance at Rossmor Leisure World El Toro ---- OH SHIT, the stories of confusion, chaos and when in doubt these purple hairs simply freaking out and punching it --- and me and my Hispanic co-workers diving into the bushes.
So yes I get it, but when I'm in Havasu, you won't catch me driving around in my Sxs, I want some serious metal around me, even if it's a Ford beer can. ;)
I drove by and around your Rossmor location many times. I also lived in Camarillo for many years near Leisure Village. Their driving was just scary. We'll all be there some day. Some of us sooner than others. We once lived in Palm Beach during a winter season. That was completely bizarre. Many of those NE area Snowbirds never drove at all when at home. But, they continued to own vehicles and would attempt to drive them down to and operate them in Florida. Wow! It was crazy.