WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Med kits, on the boat ?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Whatcha got ? What do you carry ? This accident on 95 thread got me thinking....
Dave, this would be a great product for the store. Excellent Christmas gift for the boat owner who has everything.
What would you carry?
Bandaids
Med gauze for larger lacerations
Sunburn creme
Tape

What else???

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I carry a basic trauma kit in a large ziploc bag. Tape, gauze, a military tournequet and an ace bandage to wrap and hold pressure for big cuts. That stays under the seat by the tools. Hope it's never needed. I have another small ziploc that had bandaids, some more tape and now kids liquid anti-histamine...found out one kid has alergies to bug bites and bee stings. We figure it may be helpful if needed.

JD D05

Reaction score
I have a basic trauma kit and a sat phone.

77hallett

Reaction score
I’ve got two tourniquets, quick clot, scissors, different sized bandages, med tape. Along with a signal mirror, mini gps, and occasionally sea dye (just in case).

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I’ve got two tourniquets, quick clot, scissors, different sized bandages, med tape. Along with a signal mirror, mini gps, and occasionally sea dye (just in case).
Never used quick clot in a wet environment, will it work pretty decent? If so, have to put some in. Stuff stings like hell, but works.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
First aid kit. With our boys someone is always needing something (minor)

I did add the bee sting shit that was posted up on here a while ago.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
I've got a emergency kit roadside/survival (from wal-mart) in the truck, with water, and granola bars. I should check if it has tourniquets. The boat has a first aid kit, with the tools and flares, we carry a VHF handheld too. My folks had to use the first aid last week. Buddy was staking the boat to the beach with the slide anchor and his hand slipped on the last blow, caught his finger between the stake and slide handle. Busted it open. Had to clean him up and get the bleeding to stop. Ended up having three fractures in the tip of his finger once he got home. Better to be prepared then not.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The above and Sof T tourniquet

I can’t emphasize enough how every boater needs to get themselves trained up on tourniquets and how to apply them.

That device and quick clot(and other similar brands) along with occlusive dressings for chest/torso wounds have absolutely lowered homicide rates because first responders are applying them and saving lives.

If you off road and boat, get trained on this, you won’t regret it.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Never used quick clot in a wet environment, will it work pretty decent? If so, have to put some in. Stuff stings like hell, but works.

hell yes it does
And if you don’t have it, get a bunch of gauze. You would be amazed how fast you can stop bleeding by stuffing it with pressure into a serious wound.

LakeBeard

Reaction score
The above and Sof T tourniquet

I can’t emphasize enough how every boater needs to get themselves trained up on tourniquets and how to apply them.

That device and quick clot(and other similar brands) along with occlusive dressings for chest/torso wounds have absolutely lowered homicide rates because first responders are applying them and saving lives.

If you off road and boat, get trained on this, you won’t regret it.
Where do you get trained for this?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
hell yes it does
And if you don’t have it, get a bunch of gauze. You would be amazed how fast you can stop bleeding by stuffing it with pressure into a serious wound.
Ghetto/MacGuyver first aid: Pads or tampons for serious "puncture" wounds or cuts. I understand it's not medically proper, but blood is blood. The main goal is to keep someone going until a pro can take over.

JD D05

Reaction score
I am an emt if your local to San Bernardino i can Train you or even provide a basic first aid class and teach CPR maybe we could do the RDP Safety day or something and I can teach a bunch of people

I have got to do this. An RDP event for basic first aid would be cool.

Doing a level 1 avalanche course next month also.

Deven45

Banned
Reaction score

If you local let me know and we can meet up I can train you in about 45 mins with all you need to know to handle any accident in the desert or at the river

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Ghetto/MacGuyver first aid: Pads or tampons for serious "puncture" wounds or cuts. I understand it's not medically proper, but blood is blood. The main goal is to keep someone going until a pro can take over.
Fun Fact:
The Macguyver character was based on an EOD tech: “make it happen” is the standard, lol

JD D05

Reaction score
If you local let me know and we can meet up I can train you in about 45 mins with all you need to know to handle any accident in the desert or at the river

I am in UT or I would be all over that offer.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score

The AVI training stuff REALLY changed my thought process when in the back country! The new sleds will take people places they shouldn’t be with their skill set, or lack of it, and with a little HP take us experienced riders places we never thought possible. As you know, the AVI deaths have skyrocketed the last 6-8 years, and quite honestly, they scare the shit outta me!

JD D05

Reaction score
The AVI training stuff REALLY changed my thought process when in the back country! The new sleds will take people places they shouldn’t be with their skill set, or lack of it, and with a little HP take us experienced riders places we never thought possible. As you know, the AVI deaths have skyrocketed the last 6-8 years, and quite honestly, they scare the shit outta me!

I have done the awareness classes but that isn't enough. Last year in Island Park a group I ride with heard chatter on the radio and headed over to a slide. One guy was buried...the other 4 people in his group were just standing there doing nothing. My buddies started to dig and freaked out on them to do something and they actually got pissy with them. The guy died.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score
I have done the awareness classes but that isn't enough. Last year in Island Park a group I ride with heard chatter on the radio and headed over to a slide. One guy was buried...the other 4 people in his group were just standing there doing nothing. My buddies started to dig and freaked out on them to do something and they actually got pissy with them. The guy died.

Sounds like some "good" buddies... How anyone in that situation could just stand around is beyond comprehension.
I'm known as "safety safari" in my group as I try to be prepared for anything and will help ANYONE that needs it.

JD D05

Reaction score
Sounds like some "good" buddies... How anyone in that situation could just stand around is beyond comprehension.
I'm known as "safety safari" in my group as I try to be prepared for anything and will help ANYONE that needs it.

Ya I cant imagine standing there when anyone is buried my group or not.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
My suggestion is this. Dave hosts a BBQ. Either a local to RDP EMT or Paramedic goes over basic trauma or stabilization techniques, then LR2 and I will show up with a couple SIMMS guns, and just randomly shoot people (little paint ball shooting M'fer's). Nothing better than a little pressure testing things:D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Generally I have AT LEAST 3 tourniquets on board. Soft T Wide for sure, one or more S.W.A.T. t's, and a couple CAT t's. Pressure and basic bandages, Sam splint X2, Med Tape, Shears, Chest Seal (think puncture wound to chest cavity) and wound packing gauze like Quick Clot or Celox Rapid. I would not suggest using the old Quick Clot powder unless you have nothing else. It messes things up and is activated my moisture. So everywhere it touches that is wet will be cauterized or at least burned. Now of course, I'd rather have a little more damage than be dead.... lol. All that plus a basic first aid kit with simple meds, bandades, space blanket, etc....

Key is stabilize as best you can and get them headed for a higher medical provider. Always get someone on the phone with 911 and start pushing information. If the operator is good they can start advising a certain level of treatment based on what you tell them. Never know though, best thing is get some training.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Now, @t&y brought up the stabilization and phone. Never dealt with a boating scenario, just automotive or other land based things. In a boating issue, if the person is able to be moved without doing more harm, should you stay put, or head to the nearest ramp?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
If enough people showed interest I bet a suppliers Rep would host a BBQ or something simlilar. Bring a few sample product kits. Basic 1st aid. Take a few orders maybe.
Thats a win win. Maybe get the local coasties or PD/Rescue come by and teach a brief how to class......

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I carry one I bought as a boat kit and added a few things too it. Like sun burn cream, staple kit, and epipen.

If I need to stabilise a broken bone there is the one, same with stopping massive bleeding, rope and straps work just fine

propcheck

Reaction score
One in the boat one in the truck, been a medic over 20 years and have used it on a few occasions. My kits are well stocked but your most important part of a med kit is knowing how to use everything in it right. Especially your tourniquets and quick clot dressings. I could not stomach watching somebody die knowing if I only had my tools I could save them.

charlyox

Reaction score
I bought one at SAMS club that I keep under my back seat.

2Driver

Reaction score
C70EAAC0-A3FF-49B3-8CE9-ADF2D226493C.jpeg
Learned a lot in this thread.

Ill add ...medium to deep gashes need to be rinsed. I carry this sterile wound wash. If the wound is deep other solutions can end up in the blood stream from what Ive been told.

In the back country I carry the garmin inreach sat text device with GPS. I can send and receive texts and ping the server via satellite for web tracking by anyone or hail 911 and it serves as my standard carry GPS

https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

hallett21

Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind for those who feel they are not qualified or capable of rendering first aid. #1 not true but also you may be in a scenario where a medic, RN, EMT, Doctor etc is there to render aid but lacks the materials they need.

Always a good idea to carry a good first aid kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
This thread concerns me that some of you are carrying tampons and pads in your back pockets:D:D:D

Out bow hunting and you happen to have a tampon around? Unlikely.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Now, @t&y brought up the stabilization and phone. Never dealt with a boating scenario, just automotive or other land based things. In a boating issue, if the person is able to be moved without doing more harm, should you stay put, or head to the nearest ramp?
Simple answer is there is no simple answer... lol. Suspected neck or back injury, if they are stable I'm keeping them there and waiting for someone with a back brace / c spine etc. If they are not stable, you can't kill them twice. My terms regarding stable don't match up with most EMS or Paramedics and I am not a certified EMT so take that for what it's worth.

I look at it in the same manner I would an injured officer in the field. If I can get fire to them quick then that is the choice. If I'm closer and can coordinate a roll in a car to a trauma one or two center, or helo pick up, then buckle up because we are rolling.

So many things to factor in. Drowning... luckily my boat is wide and has room. If I can get them on the boat I'm doing CPR compressions while someone drives and hauls ass to the dock where with any luck the Ambulance will be waiting. Or, start hauling ass and meet with medics mid lake and continue care from their on either boat.

Massive hemorrhage to a limb. I'm confident I can stop that bleed as long as a tourniquet high in the joint area is doable. If it's in the junction area and packing is needed, the time needed to stabilize that might be a wash with waiting for the water docs. All depends on where on the lake you are and where on the lake they are.

Fun fact... these are the things I go over in my head all the time. In fact, just bought a Gen 4 Soft T wide and I've been tourniqueting myself while internet surfing. Perishable skill that needs to be practiced.