WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Worlds skinniest sky scraper almost complete in NY

Tank

Reaction score
Looking at this thing makes my head spin. How the F*CK do they build something so tall and be safe!? It boggles my mind. Absolutely stunning architecture. Pretty cool. Being born and raised on the beach in So. Cal. I could never even imagine living in a sky scraper. So alien.

A bevy of super-tall, glossy skyscrapers is rising along New York City's Billionaires' Row, an area south of Central Park that's home to some of the most expensive real estate in the city.

There's Central Park Tower, which recently became the tallest residential building in the world. Then there's 220 Central Park South, which broke real-estate records when billionaire hedge fund manager Ken Griffin paid $238 million for a spread of condos. Both towers are expected to be finished sometime in 2020.

And now, nearing completion is 111 West 57th Street, which has the distinction of being the world's most slender skyscraper. The 1,428-foot tower is 24 times taller than it is wide and has only one residence per floor.

The skinny skyscraper, which was developed by JDS Development Group, Property Markets Group, and Spruce Capital Partners, is expected to welcome its first residents in the summer of 2020.

Take a look inside the first finished condo at the world's most slender skyscraper.

Steinway Tower, a super-tall, super-skinny tower at 111 West 57th Street in New York City, is the most slender tower in the world, according to the developers.

The 1,428-foot tower is 24 times taller than it is wide.

According to New York's Skyscraper Museum, a tower's slenderness is based on the width of the base compared to the height of the building.

"A tower can be very tall, but not slender, and it can be slender without being very tall," reads the museum's website.

The 91-story skyscraper is in an area called Billionaires' Row, home to some of the city's most expensive real estate. Billionaire buyers like Ken Griffin, Michael Dell, and Liu Yiqian have picked up multimillion-dollar condos in the glossy towers rising in the neighborhood.

111 West 57th Street sits adjacent the historic Steinway Hall, which was built by the piano company Steinway & Sons and opened in 1925.

While building the luxury skyscraper atop Steinway Hall, developers have also done a thorough restoration of the interior and exterior of the historic building.

The first finished condo in Steinway Tower is a 4,500-square-foot, three-bedroom unit on the 43rd floor — about halfway up the building — with its own private elevator entrance. While it's not currently for sale, a three-bedroom of the same size on the 44th floor is listed for $29.5 million.

When it's finished, Steinway Tower will offer residents amenities that include a 24-hour doorman and concierge, an 82-foot swimming pool, and an expansive shared outdoor terrace.

Gregg Pasquarelli, founder of SHoP Architects, which designed the building, said at the press preview that their goal was to create a building that was "uniquely New York and absolutely modern and forward-thinking, but has the DNA of the New York skyscraper embedded in it."

"It's the quintessential tower designed and built by New Yorkers," Pasquarelli said.

The tower's terracotta and bronze exterior does differentiate it from the sleek glassy surfaces of the other new skyscrapers on Billionaires' Row.

But while the skyscraper's facade and super-tall, super-skinny silhouette are certainly unusual, I can't say that my tour of its first condo felt too different from another Billionaires' Row apartment I've visited.

Earlier this year, I toured a full-floor residence at nearby 157 West 57th Street that was listed for $58.5 million and found that the standout feature was the view of the park. Steinway Tower has basically the same draw, only slightly more symmetrical — a fact the developers made sure to emphasize during the press event.

Pasquarelli says the building is "uniquely New York." As a New Yorker, I have to say I'd rather live closer to the ground in a diverse neighborhood than 1,000 feet high in the clouds in Midtown, surrounded by the absent millionaires and billionaires that make up so many of the buyers on Billionaires' Row.

5bb67a2021e9cb4ee7074665.jpg
5bb67aaca4cb624da5168ce2.jpg
5bb67ae58053834f554e881c.jpg
5bb67b85a4cb624db305ea15.jpg
5bb67bcbae84ee4fc97dae62.jpg
5bb67c1bae84ee4ff24a7854.jpg
5bb679a421e9cb4ee6208862.jpg
5bb6773293032c4fde4b2ed3.jpg
5db9ba03dee0190c54222976.jpg
5db9c0e6dee019181e13f3b7.jpg
5db98fd2dee01949d333d9a2.jpg
5db99de0dee0195d182c9bc3.jpg
5db99dfadee01954f96c3244.jpg
5db99e9bdee01955d81f40d7.jpg
5db99e58dee019558108f413.jpg
5db99ee1dee0195ea049dc42.jpg
5db995e7dee0194933682194.jpg
5db99491dee0194ed07a4517.jpg
5db99959dee01955eb641d93.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've been on a couple of high rises in LA, and a windy day will make your butt pucker. The motion isn't like a boat, but it's a bit unnerving at first. I couldn't imagine living in one that could possibly sway more. That aside...hat's off to the workers and the engineers. That building has some style to it, and is a structural feat:cool:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I've been on a couple of high rises in LA, and a windy day will make your butt pucker. The motion isn't like a boat, but it's a bit unnerving at first.

Being outside of a skyscraper on a windy day ain’t no walk in the park, either [emoji50]

I never get seasick but I was feeling a bit woozy...

IMG_6207.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6203.JPG
IMG_6202.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I still get nightmares from riding the outside cage man lifts and working on the high rise skeleton buildings when I was in the field. :eek:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Being outside of a skyscraper on a windy day ain’t no walk in the park, either [emoji50]

I never get seasick but I was feeling a bit woozy...

View attachment 812073 View attachment 812072 View attachment 812071 View attachment 812070

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Every time I think I miss being near that stuff, something reminds me I shouldn't. Those pics through the LA skyline...yep, happy to not have to drive through that, or work above it. The only advantage to high rise work was only hearing the wind and your crew...no horns, shouting or nosey neighbors.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
does the tower crane operator have to climb from ground to perch every day or is there a bridge higher up the building to cut his climb distance?

I don't mind being up in tall buildings, but I prefer to live two stories or less from the ground. It sure looks nice though.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Yeah, NOPE!

I'm not even really scared of heights all that much but fuuuuuuuuuuck working steel on the high rises. Even being strapped in. No thanks!

View attachment 812094

View attachment 812095

View attachment 812096

View attachment 812097

View attachment 812098

View attachment 812099

View attachment 812100
I was working on mid rise about 14 floors on Wilshire and La Brea in the mid 80's. Next door was a bar. At lunch the crazy ironworkers, mostly Indians would cram into the bar and do shots for their 30 min. lunch and go back up and walk the steel. Sometimes the foreman would have to go in a drag a couple of them out that stayed to long. Crazy f@*kers.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
does the tower crane operator have to climb from ground to perch every day or is there a bridge higher up the building to cut his climb distance?

I don't mind being up in tall buildings, but I prefer to live two stories or less from the ground. It sure looks nice though.

As the building rises they bridge it. He can ride the elevator up to a point then across to the tower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Something like that is fantastic and cutting edge until it’s not ...ask those people in San Fran about their state of the art high rise that’s sinking , tilting and cracking all at once .

Tank

Reaction score
Something like that is fantastic and cutting edge until it’s not ...ask those people in San Fran about their state of the art high rise that’s sinking , tilting and cracking all at once .
That's actually a pretty interesting read. Article I read on that a few years ago said that accusers blame the original builders of not digging down deep enough to support the tower but the builders blame the city for building a tunnel system next door to the building, weakening it's foundation. Either way, I guess it's "safe" to stay open.:eek::rolleyes: UH, NO!

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-...t-is-not-at-fault-in-the-buildings-sinking-11

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, New York City is mostly bedrock towards the middle of the island (along the shore line is fill). So if I am remembering correctly, those shouldn't be an issue in NY.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I am afraid of heights on man made structures. Weird. Those photos of those guys was making my butt pucker. F NO!

As for the main post. Residences are 18 to 56million!!! You couldn't pay me enough to live in a building like that. Give me open country any day. Insane.

Nordie

Reaction score
I was working on mid rise about 14 floors on Wilshire and La Brea in the mid 80's. Next door was a bar. At lunch the crazy ironworkers, mostly Indians would cram into the bar and do shots for their 30 min. lunch and go back up and walk the steel. Sometimes the foreman would have to go in a drag a couple of them out that stayed to long. Crazy f@*kers.

Ironworkers never change...there was a bunch of them that got busted working at City Center, they would walk across the street right into the bar. It was all over the news...I was a little smarter I walked an additional 200 feet to the little 7-11 and grab a couple tall boys.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
That's actually a pretty interesting read. Article I read on that a few years ago said that accusers blame the original builders of not digging down deep enough to support the tower but the builders blame the city for building a tunnel system next door to the building, weakening it's foundation. Either way, I guess it's "safe" to stay open.:eek::rolleyes: UH, NO!

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-...t-is-not-at-fault-in-the-buildings-sinking-11
From what I have read in the past, majority of the structures in the high rent district there are built on land that didn't exist before the quake in 1906. They took the rubble and carted it down to the waterfront and dumped it. Between the geological stability, and the seismic activity, high rise structures there seem to be a poor choice...but I'm just a dumb redneck.
If I recall correctly, New York City is mostly bedrock towards the middle of the island (along the shore line is fill). So if I am remembering correctly, those shouldn't be an issue in NY.

There is a rock structure in central park that is supposedly the actual bedrock of the Atlantic tectonic plate. If it is, wouldn't be too far to anchor solid. A lot of work, but quick to get to it.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
D1F53B4D-D5CA-4981-A18A-7E976413F812.jpeg

I was in NYC a couple weeks ago it’s a totally cool building. This is side is wide compared to the side that faces Central Park. I was amazed by the crane, it takes some serious balls to climb up in that thing every morning.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
At lunch the crazy ironworkers, mostly Indians would cram into the bar and do shots for their 30 min. lunch and go back up and walk the steel. Sometimes the foreman would have to go in a drag a couple of them out that stayed to long. Crazy f@*kers.
Not all Drunk Indians are Iron Workers, But I've never met a Drunk Iron Worker that wasn't an Indian. :D
They are a Crazy Group for sure and they believe the Spirits look after them and therefore they aren't afraid to die.

Tank

Reaction score
Looks like the top 7 stories are so skinny they wont be usable. Looks like there's a stair case to go to the top but you each floor isn't beg enough to do anything with.

5db99491dee0194ed07a4517.jpg

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Looks like the top 7 stories are so skinny they wont be usable. Looks like there's a stair case to go to the top but you each floor isn't beg enough to do anything with.

View attachment 812163
Sometimes that add spires to the buildings height so they can claim as been the tallest building in the area. Not sure if this is the case. Maybe the extra length is for lights so airplanes can see the building. :)

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Sometimes that add spires to the buildings height so they can claim as been the tallest building in the area. Not sure if this is the case.

This explains what it is and it looks like that's exactly what they are trying to do. They are calling it the worls tallest "apartment building".

5bef9e0f1114ac7e36b4a90f2e213047.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
It's a big bitch! Dominates the skyline. Cool how they incorporated the original Steinway building into the base.

New York must be a HAVEN for voyers. All those giant open windows to the world. Good telescope is all it takes. :eek::D

5cc5f6d243b3032d66b6fb1adf09b690.jpg

09highend-steinway1-articleLarge.jpg

111-West-57th-Street-JDS-Development-Steinway-Tower-2.jpg
2016_111_West-567x1024.jpg

c25c80da4b3c208f627c3fdee06182e3.jpg

What a view from the bathtub though!! :eek::eek::eek:

111W57-Master-Bath.jpg

Nordie

Reaction score
Not all Drunk Indians are Iron Workers, But I've never met a Drunk Iron Worker that wasn't an Indian. :D
They are a Crazy Group for sure and they believe the Spirits look after them and therefore they aren't afraid to die.

I once had an Indian guy, he told me he didn't drink. Monday comes around and he never returned from the reservation. He came back a week later, he told me he got a dui. Damn you Whiterock

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
New York must be a HAVEN for voyers. All those giant open windows to the world. Good telescope is all it takes. :eek::D
I assure you there are far more pervs with Good Telescopes. than there are voyeurs, Voyers may be a different story and my bet is even the Pervs wont look for them. :D

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
That tall skinny building is pretty impressive, but there's some small part of me that wants to fly a plane into it.

Tank

Reaction score
That tall skinny building is pretty impressive, but there's some small part of me that wants to fly a plane into it.
Funny you say that....I and I bet every single person that has looked at those pics thought about that at some point.

I wonder if the way they built these, the fire protection procedures or anything they learned from 9/11 has changed the way they build these things.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
It seems to defy normal principles. As a kid you build things, and when they got too tall...they fell over. I guess these new buildings have a shit ton of titanium bolts holding them together.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
This explains what it is and it looks like that's exactly what they are trying to do. They are calling it the worls tallest "apartment building".

View attachment 812167

Looks like that thing won't move too much in the wind or what not. Looks like they installed an inertia block up near the top.

Tank

Reaction score
Looks like that thing won't move too much in the wind or what not. Looks like they installed an inertia block up near the top.

There’s a actual wind break half way up. If you tap on the photo that describes the outer skin it shows the wind break.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The tallest building in the middle east was designed as essentially three cylinders if you look at a cross section. This allowed the winds to hit the building, and come around push into the low pressure area on the backside...in effect pushing it into the wind. It worked from all directions.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There’s a actual wind break half way up. If you tap on the photo that describes the outer skin it shows the wind break.
It looks like there is a few of them. There appears to be one by where that inertia device is too.

spectras only

Reaction score
Used to live on the 22nd floor of a 31 storey building in English Bay Vancouver in the early 70's. We had a quite sizable earthquake, lasting about 20 second.:eek: Building was swaying like a mofo. New technology or not, building these skyscrapers a disaster to happen one day, no thanks.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I still get nightmares from riding the outside cage man lifts and working on the high rise skeleton buildings when I was in the field. :eek:
Years ago, I rode an old rack and pinion surface mount lift up the side of a 400' chimney in a power plant. 3 of us and 2 of us were 6'-4". 280#. I hate heights and that clattering jerky SoB, damned near gave me heart failure......

A year later I had to go look at the same winch up on the stack and they were gonna send me up in a manbasket suspended from a crane, which was even worse to me. Fortunately it was too windy that day and I talked them into just bringing the machine down later on. A relief for sure....;)

WYRD

Reaction score
In a place like New York I always wondered if you could start tying skyscrapers together as they built them for structural support as a whole grid

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I want to see zip lines from sky scraper to skyscraper. You could ride from the 100th floor down to the 80th floor a few blocks away. Take the elevator up and go down again to another building.