WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do ya think this will cost me?

MeCasa16

Reaction score
So the TONKA fairy dropped off a new toy for me to play with last night. I need to redo my driveway and lay down new gravel before we get this house listed next week.
059DC62C-02F6-45BC-B11D-B0E5E97F92AB.jpeg

So as I’m scraping away the grass and weeds that have creeped into the old gravel, I hit my underground cable line I had them put in for me earlier this year. I knew it was there, but really? Less than 3” deep and not even under the gravel? Kinda pisses me off.
EA3B1916-69EA-46F6-919F-2E9FAEC7A2FC.jpeg

The good news is, they are coming to fix it tomorrow. I’m surprised I can get them that quick and on a Sunday. The bad news is, I bet they are going to charge me.. How much do you think it will be?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Lots of people are cord cutters these days.:D

termiteguy

Reaction score
I would argue the fact that was so shallow that you were only grading and there fault not yours and how should fix it for free and you won't make dig it all up and bury it deeper. It worth a try

yz450mm

Reaction score
The water company was replacing the main in the back easement behind my house a couple years ago, and their contractor ended up snagging my line right where it entered the backyard. Verizon came out and ran a new line to the house, then sent me the bill for around fifteen hundred bucks.

The water Department's contractor paid it after dragging their feet for a couple of months, but Verizon was actually threatening to send me to collections on it even though I had no fault.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Brobee

Reaction score
I agree. I wouldn’t pay anything. They’re about a foot too shallow. A large truck could have crushed it a 3”. Make them fix it and bury it deeper, at least across the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
You knew it was there and you hit it? Lmao....you should be charged just for that. :D Shoulda called digalert and had them locate it you for free....:D

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I had to have Charter come re-do mine because the conduit actually wasn't even below grade. The lava rock settled in a couple places and exposed the conduit. They were dragging their feet so long to come do it that I just dug the trench and had them come pull the old drop out and ran a temp line while I finished the conduit (a foot deep) and they then can and fished a new line. Didn't charge me at all since it actually wasn't below grade to begin with.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yellowboat

Reaction score
$0-2500. That's what hitting q cable line has cost me in the past. Had more zeroes then anything else. USA is a life saver some times. I hit one 75' from where it was marked and they still wanted to charge me.

jetur

Reaction score
I put in underground in Phoenix and surrounding areas. If my guys installed that utility I would be embarrassed. It's 100% the installing contractors fault because it's way too shallow. I wouldn't pay for shit and if they have a problem with it let them know you will be reaching out to the contractors association and the corporation commission. FYI you don't need a locator on private property and it wouldn't have helped that shallow even if you did have it located. Good luck.

sintax

Reaction score
I did the same thing at my place, but it was with a pick axe / spade. According to code its supposed to be 24" deep, they didnt say a peep and just came out to fix it properly.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I think I’m going with the “the cable is way too shallow for code” argument. I agree, it is supposed to be 18-24” deep here. I knew where it was because I had them put it in about 9 months ago. The overhead cable they had was hideous. I didn’t know it wasn’t deeper than the gravel. I sure as hell shouldn’t hit it while grading gravel. We will see how it goes. I’m just glad someone is coming tomorrow to do it.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I put in underground in Phoenix and surrounding areas. If my guys installed that utility I would be embarrassed. It's 100% the installing contractors fault because it's way too shallow. I wouldn't pay for shit and if they have a problem with it let them know you will be reaching out to the contractors association and the corporation commission. you don't need a locator on private property and it wouldn't have helped that shallow even if you did have it located.

That is in correct, on both accounts.

Utility companies are required to locate their facilities on private land. The excavator is required to notify the utilities of any excavation. Unless CA is different than everywhere else.

Also, you are required to verify any facility located before excavating. Which usually means a pinehandle shovel before the machine is used.

Shallow or not, no locates can end up costing the excavator.

jetur

Reaction score

Utility companies are required to locate their facilities on private land. The excavator is required to notify the utilities of any excavation. Unless CA is different than everywhere else.

Also, you are required to verify any facility located before excavating. Which usually means a pinehandle shovel before the machine is used.

You are correct for excavation activity on private property but not for minor grading and laying out new rock for a driveway.

MeCasa16

Reaction score

Well there’s the catch, I’m not excavating, or even digging. I was scraping grass of the top of my gravel. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I have no doubt the fight will start with a bill. I know the digging crew got a code violation from the city for not repairing the road correctly when the buried my cable, I think I’ll let the same city inspector come take a look if they pursue me. I’m unsure they will charge me, but I’m definitely going to fight it.

AEA

Reaction score
Well there’s the catch, I’m not excavating, or even digging. I was scraping grass of the top of my gravel. I’m cautiously optimistic, but I have no doubt the fight will start with a bill. I know the digging crew got a code violation from the city for not repairing the road correctly when the buried my cable, I think I’ll let the same city inspector come take a look if they pursue me. I’m unsure they will charge me, but I’m definitely going to fight it.

How long is that run? Nice Cat.

FreeBird236

Reaction score

You're basically correct, however water lines from the meter to the house are not considered utility property by most water Districts, they will mark mains on private property of course. Most other utilities mark except sewer.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
How long is that run? Nice Cat.

My house to the pole is probably 150-200’. They take a curving route under the road and follow the edge of my driveway up to my house. The Cat store was having a rental special that out them $100/day cheaper than anyone else. $250/day for that machine. I don’t know what the weekly rate was, but I’ll probably end up keeping it for 4 days which usually makes the week rate cheaper.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Well, the guy just showed up, and he seemed pretty embarrassed by how deep it was, and told me he would get a request in right away to have it resign deeper.. I think that’s a good sign. Only time will tell if I get charged.
9E7046E1-CD45-4223-B1F0-EF4D47CC2CDA.jpeg

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Every time I hear the word redesign in my brain I hear cha ching

jetur

Reaction score
Redesign, wtf... It wasn't put in per plan the first time. It should have a minimum of 3' of cover on it no matter which design.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
And this is what the guy calls “fixed”.
Comcast is dogshit.

952ABC3F-D5C5-4EFE-90E6-AFC03DA88480.jpeg

I sure as fuck am not paying for that.

BajaMike

Reaction score
So the TONKA fairy dropped off a new toy for me to play with last night. I need to redo my driveway and lay down new gravel before we get this house listed next week. View attachment 812659
So as I’m scraping away the grass and weeds that have creeped into the old gravel, I hit my underground cable line I had them put in for me earlier this year. I knew it was there, but really? Less than 3” deep and not even under the gravel? Kinda pisses me off.
View attachment 812661

The good news is, they are coming to fix it tomorrow. I’m surprised I can get them that quick and on a Sunday. The bad news is, I bet they are going to charge me.. How much do you think it will be?
So the TONKA fairy dropped off a new toy for me to play with last night. I need to redo my driveway and lay down new gravel before we get this house listed next week. View attachment 812659
View attachment 812661

Nice little CAT!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
1572902722350-196248869.jpg

Suddenlink not any better. Mine goes down the pole under the stepping stone and under ground behind the brown weed. Been that way for 4 years.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
You are correct for excavation activity on private property but not for minor grading and laying out new rock for a driveway.

I don't know of any caveat for grading... You move dirt, you are supposed to get locates.

But things might be different out there.