WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Starting a Family Boat Recommendations

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Currently I have a 24' deep v open bow with a 496. Does the job very well (can get a bit rough in parker) however with a wife that wants to start a family (now) I don't think that this is going to be the right sled for us when she is pregnant or if we have a new born (at least the next two seasons I see needing something new) as getting out of the bow can be challenging.

She is bringing up pontoon boats, however i still have the need for some speed and the twin 400r versions are out of my range.

What did y'all do with expecting wives and or very young ones? Telling my wife to suck it up and deal i believe might be hazardous to my health.

I mentioned deck boats and that seemed to be a good compromise.

Thoughts?

69hondo

Reaction score
You are going to get a ton of different answers but here is my experience. Started the family off in an 18 foot flattbottom drag boat and that was the ride for years then we moved to the 21 open bow and now are in a 27 foot deck boat. Just talk it out and try to find what works for both of you.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Get a nice entry ladder for the front and a set of trim tabs?

What is your budget here?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Currently I have a 24' deep v open bow with a 496. Does the job very well (can get a bit rough in parker) however with a wife that wants to start a family (now) I don't think that this is going to be the right sled for us when she is pregnant or if we have a new born (at least the next two seasons I see needing something new) as getting out of the bow can be challenging.

She is bringing up pontoon boats, however i still have the need for some speed and the twin 400r versions are out of my range.

What did y'all do with expecting wives and or very young ones? Telling my wife to suck it up and deal i believe might be hazardous to my health.

Thoughts?
I kept my current boat, a 28' closed bow cat, and that took us thru both new babies that are currently 6 and 8. It will work. Don't overthink it - your wife is gonna hand you the baby after you get out of the boat. The fact that you have an open bow is great, you can get to the front of the boat and get on / get off if needed, kids may need a step stool but that can be plopped on the ground , with a foot-rinse bucket next to it.

A walk-on / walk-off pontoon or deck type deal is easier for egress for sure, but then you gotta be OK with being beat up by the wind, and that is something i never considered until i rode in one for a weekend. I don't want a deck or toon anymore after spending the weekend on my buddies toon. 40mph with no wind protection was more irritating that i thought it would be.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
And all of this is one of the reasons I am currently running a Cobalt. Deep enough to get shelter in, one of the best rides on the water, eats rough water for breakfast, probably the best production boat build quality. Not a fast boat, but that's OK for now. Lots out there and an solid selection in the used market. You can get into one and back out of it a few years later without getting hit too hard.

My dream boat? No. A great family boat, Yes.

On the other hand, what you have would work with a little effort. There are much more less friendly boats used by families very successfully.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Four sons born to my Mom and Dad...18' Flatbottom was the boat of choice for many years...never graduated to the day cruisers...stayed in the flatty. I know that's not the answer your wife wants but we all grew up boat enthusiasts and continue today...I'm 66 and the oldest of four...

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
We had a 71 AquaCraft Flatty starting our family, it served us well, The wife's back starting hurting from the ruff ride so we tried a 18ft Stern drive, it did not turn or track very well compared to the Flatty, So we went back to a inboard MasterCarft, it served the purpose for the Kids to Wake Board, and me to Water ski with a boat that would track Straight. The kids grew up, moved out and The wife and I Sold the MasterCraft and Bought a 71 Campbell V-Drive cruiser, it serves our purpose and comfort very well.
Each family has very different needs, one needs to pick the right boat for their own needs.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
First time moms to be do not realize how strong a person they are when they're pregnant. It's common for them to believe they suddenly will become handicapped which in my experiences is the farthest from the truth. My wife was still boating at 8+ months preggo, baby was boating with us 2 months later.
You have a good boat for family activities, much like what we used throughout our child entertaining years. Save your $.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Lots of good opinions here. Maybe I'll end up keeping my current sled after all. Half of me just wanted an excuse to look into an open bow cat when the wife brought up a more "family friendly " boat option but then deck boat seems to take over the conversation.

farmo83

Reaction score
I spent more formative years bouncing around in a noisy ass flat bottom jet.

My wife knows better then to approach the subject of moving on from our 21 Schiada. Although I did tell her I was open to going to a 24 Schiada.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Thoughts?

My thought is you need to change your boating habits.

If a 24 deep V is too rough in Parker, you are going on the wrong weekends and there is no boat that can fix that problem.

Problem solved...

20191027_151803.jpg
20191027_154222.jpg
20191026_063418.jpg

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
A 24 V with an open bow sounds like family boat to me.

I feel like the question is really a want vs need question. We raised our boys on a 24 closed bow and looking back, I would not change a thing. The boat has done everything that we have wanted and then some. We still don't feel like we need a new or different boat. If I had boat loads of expendable cash, I might look at getting a second boat but I am not in that situation.

You will get a bunch of different advice and none of it will be wrong, its just advice. Take the time to evaluate where you boat, what you do on the water now and what you expect to do in the future as kids grow up.

One important caveat to my advice: While my wife knew that I was shopping for a boat and we had looked at a number of boats together, when I found the boat that I wanted, I sealed the deal without getting the final green light from the wife. That was almost twenty years ago...we are still married.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I kept my current boat, a 28' closed bow cat, and that took us thru both new babies that are currently 6 and 8. It will work. Don't overthink it - your wife is gonna hand you the baby after you get out of the boat. The fact that you have an open bow is great, you can get to the front of the boat and get on / get off if needed, kids may need a step stool but that can be plopped on the ground , with a foot-rinse bucket next to it.

A walk-on / walk-off pontoon or deck type deal is easier for egress for sure, but then you gotta be OK with being beat up by the wind, and that is something i never considered until i rode in one for a weekend. I don't want a deck or toon anymore after spending the weekend on my buddies toon. 40mph with no wind protection was more irritating that i thought it would be.

Clearly you've never owned a flat or a street bike...

:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Clearly you've never owned a flat or a street bike...

:D
I've owned a stout Jet bote...does that count? Have had plenty of street bikes....stuffed one under a Semi truck too! Done with that.
Nothing's worse than having the wind empty your cocktail.......:D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've owned a stout Jet bote...does that count? Have had plenty of street bikes....stuffed one under a Semi truck too! Done with that.
Nothing's worse than having the wind empty your cocktail.......:D

LoL, true dat!! :D

Bonus points for having a cocktail on a street bike. :cool:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Don't have photos of all the street bikes in the "cloud", but heres a few

1996 VMAX

wUSdKpLmDO8w_8-ATvHQuhDsthEvxjf84VeyVKHjfHDZOi65WLAW5D3WOHheBk3H6p4EOVKTXrnoKJN-E5XjVlwSgzmvoYSWq5kxEPkWbmIikwZQnp2jo4OQKhNXpimMo926i5UeLLI4ZQrbDuFhz4GaEtbLJ0EcTCI3zQQ8EwkmfMN__x2xUDxOHHpPLr0uaVnuH74YRzvxtucY8si8daPNcKI5pFVSzHpcWbSBI3oLpwT0gP2CalPhM2dLJ7mzW7tQTeCwKIBWYkKcv8uH875nGR_ygHMKjGFbcX_lc_hdRxkmYBbE_IL0yoBc9jld29TWrLQO9R5XPvhHndhC7714KP5_UeC7qpejaEqubouLjQGylrFIEUR6YhdpCUjM5hjihAdIAH2E9aVhZJkwp7MjDACArVxgagUR33ZBjdqdaFuW06TMZvNKv8LZan1aDFcFa_EukELhXj6-1H-XaQKbkBACtnKyF5N9ZPa9iAavMW0r8KkLI8YFhWiOJYPeuyDv37IaYzzcnySXyr0zLDFjysrMN7DQ9i5cgeBN42mwTiAOFLMAxnL7hh6Zfsm3iRtK4W74WklbdPtYOnJIFA_tcZ4WbVnuZkwB7w91Y2Yjyn3pvotI7UVC1tJaf0ESgLf3fyRyJlfdmR_2WCwTgXHcxgl9rBxzsUsoKvtr9hrxqR18Q3ahEIXH=w1568-h881-no

2003 Road Glide

vZTYbIYdAGcIjlBL0ov8TfcmgOxVGgDOJzC6ztJ8AFEws8XSYyUy_IqrufwnlLfZGVRXjNMhNS3Fx2CTv5uUeVQ11eIF4Jbx_OkdHQ5dNr-LXAVlS7d4PkHDgUBUA-2H0TKaCbXbkQW0GKUP7TySjGM9fb6Hx56m78HpEEVpTXd3Ioqoshz79XuFp80TVxYMYBcZVahLNMVKQKGUFkg9mh_aHeIBO6m54sF8Zp3dCyQSBmIEUZB43mPTFapBLUYK_owQfKScRZTIhbR-HYcxAt2IYugMX05xYAlhTNxGBAlINj9CkZ2Su2CwWSuP2gO3DxRiQeCfasGzAhudfAN1gjTPlrIOCIVkpzMOGPfMEEZKmDmiOb-rXNMxUMZUED-sq9XB0_0nkxYWSL_jZb4Ir0df9evTRvxBqOxAB1IsErPHtnsBNGuaKMYFF2XhJfYOrI4lZeqn9ouNWIN-zqyQKpfdOtjN5rSQaTg-FJZFfPmuh45NSoQzSpyffiOFSWE9t9Dnr5ZsIFE8r04DiLGEGoWRt4EsveqyHSfclpqu76-XzifS7veYkexbQvc_UBRD_CIneFpWfWCQSYtdR1FRiEYgjdrsN-h8gsrOZFSPFAgjjv6JyH6eafi-roNbU-p3tV_sEqr9bmBYKBW98CM411lrVNSwyYjrwFVIO9ciIq3hHC5C82js0Xb8=w1022-h766-no

VFR

fVqIv1ftKafuPKW0Po3wYXM0YJycVRuRWliDb9SAYIyxsxc2QhT1hgJpoDwUgMzKFX7mv1m7LYc2PVsQq-NGBrxDBpbVLX6pS2ibNxMwUxhVkbNBN9sQyTYsJWqYg4a4XtmFNucPqc_YCqY7_vj-u9ajov20nvBBCChA0JlY71mX-ShI-iPypWg2yTsSBbzO_HbTouR-ISc8X-ipHs4UV91UuWghpUgDcFBQEVsQ2gh-EC4CY6Y1w1hUog_koipfK9fdzg0zl3tkpHxlIcLA94_uM7K_WcK6fWkUbuaRqXBNfUOjB-eXHVpqbrym3_tmP1ovzKtW5IzDtE-EviMS615raeDLz243deHz1H35WNmp0RWjk6OhJ5L1ueB2y8S0GnsOA_Ggsy7pvHAm97yJjm1lXhdzZCOgFVj76jpeQzzUiJxSBGZFbBaIwMtuqwp0j7riNo5d2IFBiPzW2Yo3lgcDtEMSMKVRS6jfKJxr-IpFUhmz0TiKl7vmap4z8OShlzZxLkuvPoOOlKSQ6BR4uSJAkIDs0Ytfwg51pmRsYH1CRAE5P33qc-hGpVaEDGLzrSSLf4lV2rtu_kLedZuZcTo4ngqY6SKImWZX065f84D932weZsavvmVP5-8PEJc4SNx82FzQsJ10u18FCPIDN9Wii3YX44crg1uLTvAYq32TVppKCv2fUl2Q=w1175-h881-no

And when i was a kid....always wanted the XJ 9000......

VS_21xMx-t_Q4DwT33bhO8xaVxEaaQeiRbjr2O9ZDPGV5S1WhBYfkWx99nSlQb3Yp3XzKD6yT9gZBum92yM_AI6qIaBE2Ms8ObG8AoPGM8m4rs8KDTIzagn6gvt6vVa4WO3P6c43WCwncx5959cVK1GUtQ2-eXWQDLAiP3Iz7F09L-GB3-_gTXusknTw8mF4_ceCdroeDROs3RGqUs_QcnbQifnhSjNe_ZVjNyVvNAb7x4X50_rlM8UqV1G3970_POMeUfk9GL3yPhHm0u1DCalOYz6fxemw1Rt-8BnpimrY9_4hdnKvjtxiUC7tDtbuUQqR972a22z26NpRTD-uqiTnaS2vlXdnN4_rm16-dUCap2rBIp39yYBiEVFKto39zsTHk8sNKHRi8g6_ykd0J1PT9f42Jsc-JvKlnm9mVv0wzWAfuO9OOqL5Vpge8zi9VA7osZoHrhFDtzc8WCn6pNAtqPMrLdRy3sfk6XXR2Cr_up6ONDy490ZZu2UmlyGu6o-CtbaaiUzwpIj6IaWMw894QDR7R2z9F0uZS3gTW5HBBZjaPKx_10bH6LBenp8CqadK_N7HdZPpHLltZ7-_lPQ3dq9TtQ9aaBeIgwDiFlF81h-8_0L6jjo1s85q0TvxN5WBu4a_b9CdXPDY9VBNgY4cBDPc5XMNfhBUbjQkhHgQMOD8lEo5yoqC=w1568-h881-no

I want a new Road Glide Bad. I'm getting too old for the V-rod.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I raised a family in a 21’ Daytona wacker. You have a family boat now. But if you need a little more gittyup, I have a 26’ I’m thinking of putting on the market.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score

Thoughts?

My beef with the pontoon(s) was that everyone would sit up in front on the two couches there and were having a grand time. I was alone in the back, driving and listening to the motor (an outboard) because it was too loud to be involved any conversations.

Don't waste your money on a pontoon if you're going to cruise it. If you're going somewhere to float, that's a different program and the pontoon rules.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Keep what you got. My kids have been on my 27 Advantage closed bow since they were 6 weeks old. The cabin is clutch for nap time and getting out of the sun and bringing all of the kid supplies on the boat (it’ll be a lot). A pontoon or deck boat isn’t gonna give you wind or sun protection minus the Bimini.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Sell everything. It will just depreciate since you wont be using it for about 3 years.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Keep what ya got if it’s paid for. Plenty of room for small family. Plus you’ll need the money for new baby crap, not a boat for a kid that has no clue what they’re riding in. They pass out as soon as you idle out. Just be glad she’s not saying sell the boat to start a family

RodnJen

Reaction score
First of all, slow down when she or your children are in the boat. It’s not about you, it’s about them. A 24 is plenty depending on setup and your choices. Boating gets better with family, enjoy it.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Parker is ruff in any boat on the weekends . That’s your problem . Not the boat

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I want a new Road Glide Bad. I'm getting too old for the V-rod.
You will not spill your cock tail on a Road Glide
I like the street glide better the fairing is closer to you on the saddle, and therefore the touch screen is closer to you, making it easier to use the touchscreen from the saddle.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
All three of my kids were on the water at a month or so. Wife was on water up until hatching. All three kids and wife survived fine. My wife is a bit stubborn, but would never do anything to risk any kid, let alone ours. We started with the kid thing when we were 27...15 years ago:eek: We weren't, and still aren't, flush with cash. Sea-Doo's and a 21ft jet boat. Stuff works, no matter what. The kid won't be getting off the bow without help for awhile anyway, and you should be helping your lady off and on the boat pregnant or not;) Stick with what you have for now...

....but picking up a single seat flatty for some "Me Time" isn't a bad idea:D