WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Living life through your phone camera

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I love the convenience of a cell phone and all but feel like I am a dying breed of people that don't record every moment on a damn cell video. Smart phones are handy and all but I like witnessing things with my eyes instead of on a screen while things are happening. Most videos you can hear people say "i got that on video" or "did you get that in video?". Maybe I'm old (38) maybe I am wiser I dunno? Any event seems to have plenty of video from plenty of sources so grabbing my phone and recording while missing the action just doesn't work for me. This pic is old but says it all. I also realize this thread oozes irony as I type this in my phone :rolleyes:
2D1E0F0500000578-0-image-a-15_1444057505033.jpg

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
I love the convenience of a cell phone and all but feel like I am a dying breed of people that don't record every moment on a damn cell video. Smart phones are handy and all but I like witnessing things with my eyes instead of on a screen while things are happening. Most videos you can hear people say "i got that on video" or "did you get that in video?". Maybe I'm old (38) maybe I am wiser I dunno? Any event seems to have plenty of video from plenty of sources so grabbing my phone and recording while missing the action just doesn't work for me. This pic is old but says it all. I also realize this thread oozes irony as I type this in my phone :rolleyes:
View attachment 814325

But without someone's phone (pic) you wouldn't have been able to post this...LOL. I'm with you though. Its crazy to see how many people are stuck on there phones at restaurants now days

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I agree, every time I tell someone about seeing something, first thing they say,”got it on video”? I don’t ever remember in the moment to record shit. And I want to see the big picture anyway, like you said.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've never been big on taking pics or videos. That's a really good thing in some respects (exibit "A" in court possibly...) I have hardly any pics of cars I owned or built, concerts or races I went to. The really good, and the really bad, I can describe in every detail though. BUT, those images are mine, and will die with me.

When I first noticed this trend, people looking through their phone, was watching an Olympic openning ceremony. Athletes looking like fools, filming history, oblivious to the idea they were the history.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I've never been big on taking pics or videos. That's a really good thing in some respects (exibit "A" in court possibly...) I have hardly any pics of cars I owned or built, concerts or races I went to. The really good, and the really bad, I can describe in every detail though. BUT, those images are mine, and will die with me.

When I first noticed this trend, people looking through their phone, was watching an Olympic openning ceremony. Athletes looking like fools, filming history, oblivious to the idea they were the history.
I hear ya. Until recently there is very little photographic evidence that I even exist. almost no pics of cars that I've owned (and I've had some pretty neat cars). I still don't watch life go by through the screen on my phone but I do occasionally take pics now.

2Driver

Reaction score
Funny I ask people what they do with all the footage and pics they constantly take and 80% of the time they don't have an answer.

Nobody is worse than Japanese people on vacation. In Palau they literally videoed their every move. Walking to dinner, eating dinner, preplanned selfie videos on the beach.

Here's a couple that took 20 minutes of selfie videos independently of each other. We watched it during dinner. She would stop, review the footage, fix her hair and redo the video.

IMG_1982.JPG

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i dont want to watch something through the phone, but with my daughter, i do find my self taking alot more pictures than i used too.

sintax

Reaction score
I don't get it myself. Especially taking video at concerts.

one of my biggest pet peeves. I hate nothing more than people doing this shit, waving their bring ass screen in my face, blocking my view.

2Driver

Reaction score
I sat at a light yesterday in Scottsdale with a lady in the front position so busy on her phone she sat through the entire fucking green light and didn't even know it ...even with people behind her beeping.

brownsuger

Reaction score
This whole phone picture/video crap drive me nuts.... My wife and I were at Elton John in Vegas last year and they had signs and made an announcement that no pics are video was to be taken..... Did that stop anyone? Nope.... Well, us.... but other than that.... Damn joke

And don't even get me started on how kids don't carry cash anymore..... smh...

Cdog

Reaction score
Pics are great. Especially when you have young kids & life is going by so fast. I enjoy looking back at them on my phone when I travel for racing. Like this one. My smart ass 9 year old at the eagles nest this last July makes me think of her craziness and LOL!

BD2E05F2-A400-4DB7-B16B-B5B43BB1E1C8.jpeg

9E35B8B5-AEE3-4B67-864B-8659106A8E98.jpeg

That said a lot of people are real obnoxious about it. Like when were were in Hallstatt and all the asians were around documenting everything via camera like they were some kind of crime investigation team.

And Especially at concerts. I took two pics of Face to Face and Lag wagon to send to some old punker friends 2 weeks ago but some people seemed like they were recoding the whole show.

Try to live in the moment.

Cdog

Reaction score
I sat at a light yesterday in Scottsdale with a lady in the front position so busy on her phone she sat through the entire fucking green light and didn't even know it ...even with people behind her beeping.

Train horn!!!

Yesterday I came 20 feet from rear ending some assclown boomer in a Porsche cayenne trying to fip a U turn at 60 mph from the fast lane just north of Pinnacle. Dip shit had her phone in hand. I could see it through the back window.

2Driver

Reaction score
Train horn!!!

Yesterday I came 20 feet from rear ending some assclown boomer in a Porsche cayenne trying to fip a U turn at 60 mph from the fast lane just north of Pinnacle. Dip shit had her phone in hand. I could see it through the back window.

Saw the same thing on Hayden and Grayhawk. Older Lady on her phone apparently getting driving directions, stops at the green light, light turned red for 15 seconds and then she takes off through the red and swings a U on Hayden in front of oncoming g cars.

I have a dash cam in every car.

Cdog

Reaction score
Saw the same thing on Hayden and Grayhawk. Older Lady on her phone apparently getting driving directions, stops at the green light, light turned red for 15 seconds and then she takes off through the red and swings a U on Hayden in front of oncoming g cars.

I have a dash cam in every car.

Where the F are Scottsdale PD when u need them? Shit is outrageous!!! It's a war zone out there. You have to drive like a total defensive prick to get anywhere..

2Driver

Reaction score
Where the F are Scottsdale PD when u need them? Shit is outrageous!!! It's a war zone out there. You have to drive like a total defensive prick to get anywhere..

what a joke. They are doing babysitting duty in the public schools and sitting at street construction sites getting OT. LOL a car stalls in 3” of water and 20 will show up with 3 engine companies.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Who the hell wants to see those vids anyway?

Like people that video fireworks shows... who are they showing those videos to? "omg its a firework I've never seen that before in such blurry low conditions!"

I do video tape things that involve my children. In 4k. We have terrabytes of content for our children, all sorted, indexed, and backed up. Those memories are priceless.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
View attachment 814325
The old lady is watching thru somebody elses phone lol....

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Now that i have kids i find myself taking a lot of pictures. Life goes to fast and one day I would love to go through them with my family.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
It's a fine line sometimes, If i'm traveling somewhere new i try to take a good amount of pictures, but not live through the phone. I'll get home and have a memory of some specific place and swear i took a picture of it, go looking through my archives and it's not there, i just remember it.

If you live through the screen you are gonna regret it. If you don't record some of this stuff you will also be thinking "Damn, i should have got a picture of that".

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

When i was in Austin for the GP last weekend I was about 3 people back from the fence right behind the Merc team, Hamiliton was right in front of me, Luckily i'm a tall guy but i looked up and and around, and every single person had their phone's up at arms length above their heads trying to get pictures, THOUSANDS OF THEM, all throughout the floor, and up all 2 or 3 balconies above, camera after camera, i looked around and thought it was pretty funny, but guess what, i had mine out as well. :p

Untitled-5.jpg

Last edited:

jones performance

Reaction score
the one thing about taking pics is the camera will often times catch something that you miss with the naked eye.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
One trend that seems to have faded a bit are the fuking selfie sticks. Can't tell you how many times I've ducked to avoid being hit by some idiot unaware of his surroundings. The Asian tourists are the ones I still see with them the most.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
One trend that seems to have faded a bit are the fuking selfie sticks. Can't tell you how many times I've ducked to avoid being hit by some idiot unaware of his surroundings. The Asian tourists are the ones I still see with them the most.
58c8429403c58.jpeg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Everyone talks about saving the memories but I ask you, when's the last time you really sat down and reviewed these memories?
Once in a blue moon maybe and mostly to find something very specific.
We have a cabinet full of photo memories yet they sit idle and covered in dust.
When you die your kids won't want your shit anyhow.

Backlash

Reaction score
I took a lot of pictures on our recent trips to the Bahamas. I took pictures of the scenery, the kids, my wife and all of us together. I think I took pictures of a ton of stuff. And I'm glad I did. I was able to share the images with friends and other family members who weren't there to enjoy it with us. Why am I glad I did? Because the places we visited no longer look the same as they did. ;)