WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Salt Lake City?

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with the area, specifically downtown? Is it like a normal large city downtown....cars broken into, dumpy buildings, a construction site, shady people all over the place etc.? Thanks!

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I love downtown salt lake. There are a few areas where a lot of homeless hang out but I stay downtown on purpose when I am there. Great bars and restaurants, safe, fun.

McKay

Reaction score
No not too bad, my office is there. Homeless is bad in some parts. Just stay east of 300 west and it’s not bad. But no it’s not that large of a city. What are you looking to do?

87tahiti

Reaction score
Its Zion here bro.... only cost ya 10% to get into the club.

Joker

Reaction score
We were in salt lake last month and the downtown area is as clean as it gets. Maybe saw 2 homeless people and no tents on the walkways.

Bear Down

Reaction score
Home of 3.5 beer and liquor rules... But the nicest people in the world.. I deal with a few customers in SLC and they are cool as F... Jack Mormans and very gracious..

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
What are you looking to do?

I am thinking about leasing a furnished short term apt to be close to the ski resorts for a few months. Not generally a fan of the city, but figured it might worth giving it a try. I have never been there before.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
All the liquor law stuff is a fallacy. Watered down beer is only Tap beer. You can order a bottle and it can be whatever they want it to be. Red rocks brewery has an IPA called the eliphino and it’s like 13% alcohol. You don’t have join clubs to drink. There is a great speakeasy called the bodega, next door is the whiskey bar, market street for sushi or the oyster bar which has the best clam chowder I’ve ever had. Gracies for live music, bar X, squatters & red rock brewery. Etc etc

DaveH

Reaction score
anyone that lives in Utah will say the homeless problem and skid row in down town SLC is a big problem.

compared to CA's metro areas.......you wont even hardly notice it.

Joker

Reaction score
All the liquor law stuff is a fallacy. Watered down beer is only Tap beer. You can order a bottle and it can be whatever they want it to be. Red rocks brewery has an IPA called the eliphino and it’s like 13% alcohol. You don’t have join clubs to drink. There is a great speakeasy called the bodega, next door is the whiskey bar, market street for sushi or the oyster bar which has the best clam chowder I’ve ever had. Gracies for live music, bar X, squatters & red rock brewery. Etc etc
Squatters was real good for food and beer.

DaveH

Reaction score
I am thinking about leasing a furnished short term apt to be close to the ski resorts for a few months. Not generally a fan of the city, but figured it might worth giving it a try. I have never been there before.
downtown SLC isn't really close to the resorts.

with no traffic or bad weather.....the closest resorts in the cottonwoods (alta, snowbird, brighton, solitude) are about 45min away. further for park city or snowbasin up past Ogden.
i'd look in the Sandy or cooton wood heights area.

JD D05

Reaction score

Market street does not have Sushi but one of the best places you will ever find is on the same street...Takashi.

McKay

Reaction score
Market street does not have Sushi but one of the best places you will ever find is on the same street...Takashi.
Ya I was like WTF? Since when....haha. Yes Takashi is excellent one of the few left that will serve Escolar.

Bear Down

Reaction score
anyone that lives in Utah will say the homeless problem and skid row in down town SLC is a big problem.

compared to CA's metro areas.......you wont even hardly notice it.
Truth... Locals do see it as a problem for sure... But I am sure they are comparing to things from 10 years ago... Also the Opioid deal there is bad as well.

Bear Down

Reaction score

my first time there was a culture shock, the budlight tasted funny (3.5) and I asked for a double for a cocktail and they looked at my crossed eyed. Glad things have changed with modern times ... LOL

2Driver

Reaction score
Yeah I’d be looking in Sandy. Public Busses run up to the resorts and have accommodations for your skis....or used to. Easy.

87tahiti

Reaction score
Ya I was like WTF? Since when....haha. Yes Takashi is excellent one of the few left that will serve Escolar.

Escolar is problematic. It's safe to eat in small quantities and infrequently, but frequent consumption or large quantities can lead to gastric distress and/or Steatorrhea -- stomach cramps and diarrhea caused by the high wax and fat content of the fish.

careful with Escolar...

McKay

Reaction score
Escolar is problematic. It's safe to eat in small quantities and infrequently, but frequent consumption or large quantities can lead to gastric distress and/or Steatorrhea -- stomach cramps and diarrhea caused by the high wax and fat content of the fish.

careful with Escolar...
Ya ya, I know. But it’s fucking good!

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Thank you for the input on Sandy. Perhaps I might be better off with an Airbnb in the burbs. I am looking for quality of day to day life working from home, then boarding a few nights a week/ends, close to a nice grocery store, gym, Starbucks type thing. Looking out my window and seeing homeless might be a bit a little odd.

Who the heck the would want to be homeless in that frozen winter city anyway. Seems like SoCal would be a much better choice.

Motor Boater

Reaction score

That’s actually what I was referring to. “The sushi place on market street”. Couldn’t remember the name. Excellent sushi.

JD D05

Reaction score
Thank you for the input on Sandy. Perhaps I might be better off with an Airbnb in the burbs. I am looking for quality of day to day life working from home, then boarding a few nights a week/ends, close to a nice grocery store, gym, Starbucks type thing. Looking out my window and seeing homeless might be a bit a little odd.

Who the heck the would want to be homeless in that frozen winter city anyway. Seems like SoCal would be a much better choice.

Look into the Draper area. You have a Harmons which is an incredible grocery store, A few Beans & Brews ( local coffee shop ) and you are close to big and little cottonwood canyon.

McKay

Reaction score
Look into the Draper area. You have a Harmons which is an incredible grocery store, A few Beans & Brews ( local coffee shop ) and you are close to big and little cottonwood canyon.

There is a fancy Harmons right in down town too.

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score

I just rented a Airbnb in SLC for Sunday- Saturday, I have a install to do. I thought it would be better for my guys then a hotel.

CHECKERED_PAST

Reaction score
Not sure UTAH is accepting applications at the moment, it suxs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TBI

Mike K

Reaction score
We go to Park City a lot ... about 30 miles away from Salt Lake up in the mountain area ... from what I know ... there is a pollution layer that stays in Salt Lake City ... the smog can't get above the mountains so the smog stays over the entire city ... its a bad thing ... Google this and you will see how bad the air is in Salt Lake.

JD D05

Reaction score
We go to Park City a lot ... about 30 miles away from Salt Lake up in the mountain area ... from what I know ... there is a pollution layer that stays in Salt Lake City ... the smog can't get above the mountains so the smog stays over the entire city ... its a bad thing ... Google this and you will see how bad the air is in Salt Lake.

The enversion...ya it sucks. It only comes when storms don't come through. But yes it stays in the valley.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
FYI, not sure what goes on there now, but years back you could get an excellent $20 “jumbo” rock at the park day or night...just sayin.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Sapa on 7th and State is a pretty cool joint for Japanese food, Sushi and cocktails (use to be Burt's Tiki Lounge)