WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Chitty-chitty, Bang-bang...Well, Kinda

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, a couple days and nights later...
Fenders are black (ish), weathered and streaked...slightly crusty looking. The deck lid is even more crusty looking, but so is the body.
2019-10-22 09.48.59.jpg
2019-10-22 09.48.11.jpg

Some minor body work on the rear fenders...I think they got backed into a curb or planter...minor pooch on top of wheel openings on both. Dollied out, and got them straight. Happy they weren't too tweaked, metal work is a skill I'm working on, and have been for years. Someday I'll get it figured out.

Was at the engine builder's place today. Not quite ready, but close. Fires and runs, but not quite dialed in. Mods to the generator and ignition system need to be done for this particular application. Hopefully I'll be able to swing it in this weekend or first of the week.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, dinkin' around with the hood. Just mocked up, it and the radiator need to come off when the motor comes back. Thinking the hood needs more grey (gray)...but I still need to keep some black and browns to tie it into the fender facade. Looks old, but doesn't look like it came with the fenders or the body. PITA to patina a hood with small louvers on top. Owner would probably aprove, but I don't yet.
2019-10-24 22.27.56.jpg
2019-10-24 22.26.56.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Ok, a few more hours, some paint, sandpaper and some "secret sauce" to give it the weathered run streaks. The grey is a little dark in the pics, but will bleach out pretty quick.
2019-10-26 15.45.34.jpg
2019-10-26 15.44.20.jpg

Going to pull the trans in a few minutes...joy. These early three speeds had counter shafts and reverse idler shafts that are exposed at the rear. Notorious for leaks. Going to pull it down, and if the tolerances are there, anerobic seal the things. If not, things get fun. Drills, taps...general fucktardery will ensue.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, been close to two weeks. The older gent that's been working the motor took a bit longer than anticipated. To his defense, it took a few days to get the propper plug wire looms...and the poor guy's wife had both knees overhauled last week! He called me today, and I get to pick up the fresh motor and drop off the tired one.
Trans is good to go. Front was leaking as well, and I figured it just needed a gasket and seal. Of course not. Someone had tried to bolt down the input retainer on top of the snap ring...cracked the bolt flange. Found that while cleaning it up to put a new seal in. Grabbed one from stock, and ready to rock. Next few nights will be busy, as I want to deliver this one this weekend.
Of course, I kept busy last week. Being mercenary like I am, I take the occasional sucky job too. Last week was an Allison trans in a Duramax masonry truck. Too big/heavy for my friends lift...and he's too spoiled to work on his back:rolleyes: I guess I'm a whore, don't mind making money with, or on, my back:p.

Anyways, here was my weekend recycle project...
2019-11-04 23.08.02.jpg
2019-11-04 23.07.13.jpg
2019-11-04 23.06.33.jpg

...Any ideas?:)

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Well, been close to two weeks. The older gent that's been working the motor took a bit longer than anticipated. To his defense, it took a few days to get the propper plug wire looms...and the poor guy's wife had both knees overhauled last week! He called me today, and I get to pick up the fresh motor and drop off the tired one.
Trans is good to go. Front was leaking as well, and I figured it just needed a gasket and seal. Of course not. Someone had tried to bolt down the input retainer on top of the snap ring...cracked the bolt flange. Found that while cleaning it up to put a new seal in. Grabbed one from stock, and ready to rock. Next few nights will be busy, as I want to deliver this one this weekend.
Of course, I kept busy last week. Being mercenary like I am, I take the occasional sucky job too. Last week was an Allison trans in a Duramax masonry truck. Too big/heavy for my friends lift...and he's too spoiled to work on his back:rolleyes: I guess I'm a whore, don't mind making money with, or on, my back:p.

Anyways, here was my weekend recycle project... View attachment 813578 View attachment 813579 View attachment 813580
That's a helluva mailbox bracket. :D

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score

Anyways, here was my weekend recycle project... View attachment 813578 View attachment 813579 View attachment 813580
Hinge points for a custom BBQ?o_O

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, picked up the motor this afternoon. She's purdy:)
2019-11-06 00.58.21.jpg
Got her mated to the gear box, and dumped her in. Well hell, the old motor was a 49-53, and this one isn't. Dipstick is in the wrong place, and won't clear the headers...the headers have to be used to clear the steering. Tomorrow there will be some fab work...it's 1am...I'll get creative in the morning;)
2019-11-06 00.59.05.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, that was a minor setback. There was no way a standard ballpeen dimple was going to do it. After roughly three hours of grinder, plasma and welder surgery, the driver's header is on. I'll get a pic later. Going to try and get the front group wired and sorted tonight...going to put a pot of coffee on after dinner. Everything else should be "plug and play"...:rolleyes:

Also, the temp dropped about 25* from yesterday. Hail and rain as well. Not very good for the wracked up neck. Weird, the colder temps aren't the screwed up thing, it seems to be the rapid changes. Digging up the pimp insulated coveralls tonight;)

braindead

Reaction score

The frame for an English wheel?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score

Planishing hammer

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The frame for an English wheel?
That’s what I was thinking. But looks kind of fancy for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, and probably. It will be eventually the frame for my English wheel. Never had my own, but need one instead of driving 20 miles to my buddy's shop. As for it being fancy...well yes and no. The arched pieces were from an aborted 4x4 show truck project, they were track bar mounts. The weird fish looking pieces were ladder bar/trailing arm deals, but never got boxed. The base pieces were actually the subframe that was welded to the frame. The pieces are all 1/4" plate and water jet cut. I kept them when my friend grabbed the truck from the wrecking yard. He wanted the motor, trans and hydraulic steering. I figure this way it will definitely be a one of a kind, and mine. It will take a while, but at least it's started now.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It's pretty late, but calling it a day. I'm lucky to have the shop on the property. It allows me to work really jacked, but flexible, hours. It also helps I am pretty far from neighbors.
Well, here's how she's looking. Tomorrow I need to configure some type of hood hold down thingamajigs, hang the exhaust, battery box and terminate some wiring. Hopefully light it off by dinner, and have some of Friday should I need to "adjust" some stuff. Hoping to head to Cali Friday night...under cover of darkness. Deliver Saturday ($) and
2019-11-07 01.27.33.jpg
get home. We all know how this can go...
2019-11-07 01.28.56.jpg

The header deal is hard to see, but about 3/16ths clearance around the tube.
2019-11-07 01.28.17.jpg

Oh, and before I catch hell for impedeing exhaust flow...I figure the exhaust has to make two 90's before it even exits the block. Not going to be an issue with the blazing 95hp;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Today went smooth...like everclear:mad:
Had to completely revamp the exhaust, thought the pipes were just removed. Nope, hangers were broken and still on chassis. The throttle linkage was a cluster F and just spent the last hour chasing my tail on a no spark issue. Turns out, the repro parts guys swapped over to internally resisted coils...resist a resisted coil and the spark resists too:mad::mad::mad:

She's on the ground, and has fired. Waking up and going to do some electrical mods, and then try to put down some miles.
2019-11-08 01.00.53.jpg
2019-11-08 01.02.36.jpg

...and my shop looks like a tool truck threw up.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Nice...thumb up...
I remember the days...decades ago... seems to me like somebody would have stuffed asbestos between the dipstick tube and the header...I don’t think people do that anymore but I could be wrong...for that matterI can’t even remember if asbestos burns???...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...Nice...thumb up...
I remember the days...decades ago... seems to me like somebody would have stuffed asbestos between the dipstick tube and the header...I don’t think people do that anymore but I could be wrong...for that matterI can’t even remember if asbestos burns???...
If the dipstick was like any "modern" one, I probably would have. These flatheads though, the tube is 1/4" pipe thead, and heavy wall. It is threaded into a potmetal piece which is attached with a gasket to the pan. Crack the potmetal, and a sailor will blush with the words heard.

Asbestos doesn't burn. Can't really buy it anymore due to the whole cancer thing. They make plug wire wraps for cars with headers. Those work really good for stuff like this usually. I think they are Nomex or something?

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, did my wiring mods. That went well. Started putting water in for shakedown run. Sending unit installed by builder was leaking. Got that fixed...sketchy as hell, these heads are rare as hell, and only an 1/8" thick on the back side. Have about 12 miles on her now. Let it cool down, drain some water and add some coolant, resnug some things and get things ready for a road trip;)
2019-11-08 14.48.54.jpg
2019-11-08 14.47.20.jpg
2019-11-08 14.46.45.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...Since the first pic I have been trying to figure out what the wheels and hubcaps are on this car...they look like they could be 16 inch...well something or other...that’s where I get lost...no clue as to what the hubcaps are...
F5B0D50E-006A-4F99-81E2-36266C4B5B9A.png

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I like it. Nice Job MW. It oozes Cool. :cool:

Now for the final patina.
The Midwest is in a deep freeze and the roads are getting well salted, so I offer my help for showing you how to drive that nasty girl in the snow. :D

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
...Since the first pic I have been trying to figure out what the wheels and hubcaps are on this car...they look like they could be 16 inch...well something or other...that’s where I get lost...no clue as to what the hubcaps are...
View attachment 815193
Wheels are 16's, 4.50 and 7.50 tires...I'd have gone down a size in the rear...bit much rake for me. I believe the caps are 41.. but can't remember for sure.

In San Dimas, Ca right now. Rolled in at 3am. Dropped car at 9. Owner likes it, and that's what matters;)

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
Wheels are 16's, 4.50 and 7.50 tires...I'd have gone down a size in the rear...bit much rake for me. I believe the caps are 41.. but can't remember for sure.

In San Dimas, Ca right now. Rolled in at 3am. Dropped car at 9. Owner likes it, and that's what matters;)
...Big Thumbup...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, welcome to the hell of road trip car work. Clipped something last night in the boondocks, and lost a tire. No big deal, put the spare on. Got awake enough this morning, and saw the rear on same side has a chunk gone. Well shit howdy.

The shop nextdoor to where the car went was a tire shop. Cool, I'll get some there. They order some, should be out by 1...I heard the order placed. At 3, tires show up...they sent 14's...and wharehouse was closed. No spare, one iffy tire, and 400 miles to roll....shit! So I take off. No other project car...was going to be a 40 coupe. I can't risk someone else's car, and heavier than previous ones in this trailer. Also, original paint and interior old hot rod. Wife isn't real happy...dollars on the table deal. Have another local 40 to work on, that should make her feel a bit better.

I did manage to find a tire in Upland...at 5pm. They stayed late and took the blown one off and put a fresh skin on. I just swapped out the chunked one...at least 4 fresh ones on the ground. Another fun Saturday night. Time to hit the road...Az wants me back, and Cali doesn't;)

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Well, it looks as I may get car #3 from the same guy after Thanksgiving. So, with the front of the shop reasonable empty, I have been utilizing the time and space. Finally ran me a subpanel last week. Nothing fancy, nor complete. It does however get me two dedicated circuits, one for stereo, fridge and lighting, the other higher amperage for small welder, plasma and tig...the 220v will be going in soon as well.

I also dug out a car that has been burried in my little garage. I have not seen it out in the six years I've been here, and it was on a furniture dollie when it was shoved in. It's miles from being done, but it can now be a project to drop back on when I'm between paying projects...like now. Please excuse the fronts...only hubs and tires I could find...this thing has never rolled on wheels like this. The body was an old jalopy racer from Pixley Ca.
2019-11-17 17.59.09.jpg
2019-11-17 17.59.09.jpg
2019-11-17 18.00.11.jpg
2019-11-17 17.58.18.jpg