WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Construction guys....permitting...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
In Los Angeles are there any reliable "rules of thumb" for when you do or dont need a permit?

UD

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
City of or county?

Most cities have a webpage discussing what does and does not require a permit.

My rule of thumb is that if the work isn’t visible from the street and doesn’t add square footage, it doesn’t require a permit.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
In Los Angeles are there any reliable "rules of thumb" for when you do or don't need a permit?

UD
If there is a code for it most likely. So, new garbage cans = no. New concrete pad for said garbage cans = yes.
New carpet/tile/wood does not have a code. Remodeling a bathroom with new electrical and plumbing has code.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
There are no rules. I know of cities that require permits to change a wax ring, carpet, fencing and even paint your house.

NicPaus

Reaction score
LA city it's like $400 or more of work. Garbage disposal requires 1. Water heater. Change a window.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
As a former building inspector my rule of thumb was. Yes if it: adds sqft to your house, changes made to your electric panel, adds new circuits or gas lines, changes to the roof line, requires footings(patio covers), pools, any structure that requires setbacks from your property line, structural changes etc. probably a bunch more too.

Most interior remodeling was no.

jetur

Reaction score
As a GC my rule of thumb is, if an inspector pulls up can I sell him on the idea that I'm doing maintenance. If I don't think I can, I get a permit.

Turnup

Reaction score
Permits are a joke and the City should just have a drop box to put in a couple hundred bucks here and there. You pretty much need a permit for everything bs thing, get one or don't that isnt the problem. It's when you take out a $100 permit change a toilet and a shower valve for a cute little remodel and the cunt inspector comes in and says 'hey um I don't like the way Griffin ran all of the venting for the 2nd story in 1965, you're gonna need to correct that.'

DLC

Reaction score
I just pulled a permit for my kitchen remodel, only took 3 months to get and so far 2 inspections had both ready for underground plumbing and foundation, the inspector wanted to come back to look at slab dowels... told him I’m the home owner and contractor lived in the house since 1975
Wanted to pour Friday but instead had another inspection, so I now get to pour on Tuesday because I’m in in Havasu this weekend....

My scope of work
We are moving 2-2x14’s up, into the attic... no change in load bearing had to revamp footings, steel, added post bases epoxy dowels and a shit ton of rebar. Current post ( which is a 2x4) has been sitting on a 4 inch slab for 45 years.... I am converting to a 6x6 post & bases and a 5 7/8 x 14 beam. Footing is now 36 inch deep and 2x2 wide old footing was 12inch wide by 24 deep perimeter footing

Unless you need to permit to sell the house in the near future get it otherwise don’t... unless your like adding a 2nd floor

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
0EB2655F-A746-4800-BC00-E52C9BFBDEB4.jpeg
was told I need a permit to replaster my 1974 pool. fuck that. I guess it came with the new plaster and tile.

Last edited:

lebel409

Reaction score
We did a lot of work as "owner doing work". Fee was based on cost of materials. We moved our driveway and garage door,(pretty obvious)expanded the kitchen (new sewer line), all with permits. We had a patio in the back and just replaced the old pad, redid guest bath (took out bathtub and just did a shower)..no permit.