WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

44 years ago today.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
I’ve been to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Musuem at White Fish Point. It was late July with a slight wind out of the north. The water was so cold I never made it past my knees. My ankles cramped up almost immediately. I had and uncle that worked at Lake Superior State in Sault Ste Marie. I remember him telling stories about the weather that night it was hurricane conditions. I’m still fascinated by the Fitzgerald.

RichL

Reaction score
Seems hard to believe it's been that long ago.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Knowing how rough and unforgiving these waters can be, was incredible to go boating out there while it was this flat.

When I was a kid, my folks took my brother and I around lake Michigan. Was a family vacation deal in july.
We visited a maritime museum and saw some of the recovered debris from the fitz.

If I remember correctly, there was a life ring, and most of a lifeboat. I dont recall there being much else, other than a list of the names of the men who died, and pictures.

The fitz crossed my mind while we were out there.

I kept a close eye on out for rocks. They're huge, and it's hard to tell how deep the water is.

20190815_081208.jpg
20190815_092140.jpg

15658853916228842219257686687890.jpg

That's at least 10' deep. I took the anchor and used it to check the depth. We were just drifting, enjoying the scenery.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
I watched a documentary that said the waves would break over the top of the pilot house. Then one time she got hit hard and started to plunge, they figured the crew didn’t know they were going under until the water didn’t shed then the window blew out under the pressure. That’s absolutly terrifying.

I’ve loved the laker boats for as long as I can remember. I’ve see countless boats go through the Soo Locks. If you’ve never been up there check it out it’s an awesome place.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
The program I watched was very interesting. It showed bent hatches on the main cargo deck. Investigators believed some of the the hatches either were not properly secured or had failed due to age and fatigue allowing water to fill the hold. By the time the crew realized what was going, if they had, it would have been too late. Sad story.

poncho

Reaction score
In my younger day's I would put the song on in the wheelhouse and key the hailer mic so the crew could listen while we were in real rough sea's....gallows humor.

Still dig that song.