WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rock Island vs Springfield 45

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My budget does allow for the Dan Wesson I really like so I'm down to Rock Island vs Springfield 45 , any member have any thoughts ... dependability is a factor , my current 1911 needs a blueprint to fix "hangfire issues"

sintax

Reaction score
Springfield, personally. i think they have a little better QA. Pretty sure Springfield moved production down to Brazil 10 yrs ago, and most of the cheaper model guns are made down there, so technically it comes down to Philippines vs Brazil at that point. You are right about the Wesson, they made great shooters at a good price.

***Edit**** just did some checking, and looks like they stopped making them in Brazil around 2014

Last edited:

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
Ive got them both and I like them both. Took in the Rock Island on trade and just never parted with it.

Xring01

Reaction score
Bought a double stack Rock Island a year or two ago.

For the money, your not gonna beat it. Worked flawless everytime we have used it.

No compliants.

I have an older Kimber Custom that I truly love.
I have a double stack Para Ordance thats a true custom built 1911. Which is a match made in heaven in my hands...
I also have a 1944 Remington Rand 1911... with US Government Army markings... with the armor paint #’s on the grips... Thats my collectors piece.

My take on 1911’s, get the best one you can afford, they all get the job done, and go bang when you pull the trigger. Questions becomes, how many blingy features do you want to afford.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Springfield 45's, XD and a XDs. they run fine but they are not 1911's..............I do have a Kimber 1911 and love it Ultra CDPII..... My next 45 will be a series 70 Colt

Cdog

Reaction score
My budget does allow for the Dan Wesson I really like so I'm down to Rock Island vs Springfield 45 , any member have any thoughts ... dependability is a factor , my current 1911 needs a blueprint to fix "hangfire issues"

What’s your budget?

River Runnin

Reaction score
Except for the Rock Island.

I have an older Kimber Custom that I truly love.
I have a double stack Para Ordance thats a true custom built 1911. Which is a match made in heaven in my hands...
I also have a 1944 Remington Rand 1911... with US Government Army markings... with the armor paint #’s on the grips... Thats my collectors piece.

My take on 1911’s, get the best one you can afford, they all get the job done, and go bang when you pull the trigger. Questions becomes, how many blingy features do you want to afford.

X2! I've been a Kimber fan since the start! .... And after reading some Gun Vs. Gun reviews! ....I might have to pick one of those RI's up! ;-)

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
I love my Rock Island, then again I love my CZ. Oh chit, I love my Kimber also. My Springfields are nice, Hell I don't know which one is best.:D

robby dmax

Reaction score
My buddy find a rock island 45 and wishes he would never spent the money.
Save a couple more dollars and buy the Springfield or Kimber
Turners probably has a decent deal on one or the other now or in coming weeks

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Ruger 1911 is a great gun.Had one since they came out and never a problem. Great shooter and accurate as hell.

Priced right on top of it.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Ruger 1911 is a great gun.Had one since they came out and never a problem. Great shooter and accurate as hell.

Priced right on top of it.
Not on CA list

236eagledave

Reaction score
I can't speak to the Springfield but I have had zero issues with my Rock Island. It's been very reliable.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Which RIA?
Which Springfield?

At the $500 price point, you’re looking at GI-spec.
I like the more expensive Springfield’s, but not their lower-end models.

Generally speaking, RIA owns the budget 1911 space IMHO...they’re ISO 9001 Certified, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slats

Reaction score
I have a rock island. It’s been awesome. Never a glitch. I have had it for about 4 years.

W.O.T

Reaction score
623AE331-162A-481C-A56B-AE6D920A60E0.jpeg
I think you are good with either. Personally I would not use a 1911 as a carry or defense weapon. I have two Springfield's but Glock is my night stand/carry gun.

That being said I have had no problems with my Springfields

Xring01

Reaction score
View attachment 815825 I think you are good with either. Personally I would not use a 1911 as a carry or defense weapon. I have two Springfield's but Glock is my night stand/carry gun.

That being said I have had no problems with my Springfields

Single stage trigger.... I would never trust my life with a dual stage trigger. Cause I cant hit shit with them.

1911, Its what I trained on in my early years... cant estimate how many training rounds I have shot with a 1911 single stage...

Sights are worthless on my 1911.. point and shoot... being in the military, and on the armory team, I had unlimited access to ammo...weapons...

Thats how many rounds I have under my belt.

use what you have trained with... train frequently, train in real life scenarios.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Awesome input and info here will weigh heavy on my decision , and yes the choices are limited due to Californias bans ):

sintax

Reaction score
use what you have trained with... train frequently, train in real life scenarios.

what this guy said.

I really would not mind training with a 1911, but I dont have any i'd feel comfortable doing that with. All of my 1911s are in that $1500+ price tag. I dont have the stomach to throw one in the dirt during some fighting pistol courses.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I happen to own both. I have very basic Springfield Mil Spec Model. Absolutely love it. Basic and just works. It has never locked up or jammed once.

I also have two Rock Rivers. Both great weapons but I can't really compare them to the Springfield as they are pretty radical models compared to my SA. I have the Tac Ultra FS HC in .45 ACP and the 10mm as well a Tac FS 10mm. Both I would say the fit and finish on my RA are as nice as my SA. For the price the RR stuff works great.

Sorry, but have to shill for my parents. :D If you need a holster check out my mother and father's company www.westernstarleather.com. They make the nicest 1911 holster in the world. They have been featured in every gun magazine around.

https://www.westernstarleather.com/1911-Holsters-and-Rigs_c_120.html

h190b_thumbnail.jpg

MP2_thumbnail.JPG

h168_thumbnail.jpg

The best US Military repro on the market. Most others are made overseas and the US stamp is not accurate size.
h167_thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
I happen to own both. I have very basic Springfield Mil Spec Model. Absolutely love it. Basic and just works. It has never locked up or jammed once.

I also have two Rock Rivers. Both great weapons but I can't really compare them to the Springfield as they are pretty radical models compared to my SA. I have the Tac Ultra FS HC in .45 ACP and the 10mm as well a Tac FS 10mm. Both I would say the fit and finish on my RA are as nice as my SA. For the price the RR stuff works great.

Rock River isn’t really at the entry-level spectrum as Rock Island [emoji106]

(Rock River does make very good firearms)

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Sorry, my bad. I was thinking Rock River this whole time. My father has a Rock Island. I think RI are the ones made in the Philippines and distributed through a place in Pahrump right?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I have a Rock Island and never had any issues. But if kind of wish I got the Springfield. I think it just looks better. I got the RI on black Friday sale so it was like 399. Maybe wait a few weeks.

I'm going to do the same but looking into the Kimber Custom II

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Rock Island is an OK gun. They function well and are reliable but the Springfield is going to have nicer fit and finish and likely be more accurate.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score

Yeah I keep saying Rock River which I have one of their AR15s. I do mean Rock Island and I really love the two I have. My Dad does have one of the Armscor really inexpensive Rock Islands and it is amazing for the price. I would own one. The ones I have were around that 900.00 price range but comparable brands would be another 500 or more with the same features.

I have six 1911s and they are by far my favorite pistols. They definitely feel the best in the hand.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Yeah I keep saying Rock River which I have one of their AR15s. I do mean Rock Island and I really love the two I have. My Dad does have one of the Armscor really inexpensive Rock Islands and it is amazing for the price. I would own one. The ones I have were around that 900.00 price range but comparable brands would be another 500 or more with the same features.

I have six 1911s and they are by far my favorite pistols. They definitely feel the best in the hand.
You should try a CZ 97. It might change your mind. Not that there is anything wrong with a 1911, they are great guns and I love my Springfield range master target but the CZ feels better to me.

77charger

Reaction score
I have 2 family members with the ria 45s both work great and shoot pretty good for the price.I have a colt commander love it also bought a full size springfield loaded in 45 that gun was too picky with ammo slide wouldnt close all the way on some rounds,etc i tried different springs and what i ever else i could do.Ended up giving it away.

pronstar

Reaction score
Rock Island is an OK gun. They function well and are reliable but the Springfield is going to have nicer fit and finish and likely be more accurate.

Which Springfield though?

I asked but OP never stated...Springfield makes a lot of 1911 variants, with varying degrees of finishing.

arch stanton

Reaction score
Well since he has bought a gun maybe I'll hijack this thread I would like to buy a 1911 that shoots well but is well used,ugly and cheap maybe one that has been thrown from a get away car or slid down mountain.

I have guns that are beautiful and look new but I want one I can use in 3 gun or the practical shooting, that that I can use and not worry about the Finnish and resale. I also want to do a Rowland 460 conversion so the barrel can be shot out anybody have a gun with character

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Which Springfield though?

I asked but OP never stated...Springfield makes a lot of 1911 variants, with varying degrees of finishing.

This is true but I think even the GI issue Springfield has a pretty decent fit and finish, probably not as accurate a shooter the match grade slide and barrel on mine but I bet it as good or better than the Rock Island. Again there is nothing inherently wrong with the RI, their a good solid gun and some may be exceptional shooters, I just think that they lack the consistency of Springfield.

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
1911 are just fun...buy the best gun you can afford...or save up

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
I think the rugers are about sevin bills...my buddy bought one..two thumbs up, shot very well....1911 are not yore average carry

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk