WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So They call me the Bully

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

DWC

Reaction score
Thank you. Good times - there were a lot of nice boats @ the regatta and the weather was awesome. This weekend is lining up to be a nice weekend here in SoCal so I think I am going to hit up Catalina.
Do you buzz over and back or stay the night? It’s gotta be a quick trip over.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Twin Volvo Penta 480 HP diesels with ZF V-Drives.

Good deal! I work on a near identical boat to yours with twin gassers. It's just a little too much boat for gas engines.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Good deal! I work on a near identical boat to yours with twin gassers. It's just a little too much boat for gas engines.
Yes, for sure, I would not have even considered it with gas power. When light it has a top speed of 37 mph which is fast for an almost 30K pound boat. We usually cruise it at 22 knots, that seems to be a comfortable speed for it.
Where are you based?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Austin, TX.

It's amazing the boats that we have on a reletively small land locked lake. Theres only one marina on the lake that pumps diesel which is probably the reason for most of the boats being powered by gas engines. Diesels are slowly becoming more popular here though as the boats are becoming even larger. I've rigged 2 boats now (both Cruisers btw) with IPS600 setups. One of them was a 60 footer. It is the largest boat I've worked on if I dont count the houseboats

Reactions: DWC

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Wow, those are big boats for a lake. I was kind of afraid of the IPS drives, kind of felt like it was having an outdrive that you have to haul the boat to work on. V-drives are just so simple and low maintenance. I have bow and stern thrusters so docking is really easy.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
They are amazing as an operator. Super easy to drive and average 7mph faster than their vdrive counterparts in the same hull. But your right! Super high maintenance, cost of ownership is probably 30% that over a vdrive setup just in regular service, and any repair requires dry docking or haul out. Pod drives I think were a neat idea but Volvo and Merc are already starting to move away from them and designing joystick systems that can integrate with traditional vdrive systems and thrusters

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I have been looking at both of these drive setups and been wondering about them also

The IPS is faster and gets better MPG. They just look complicated and I worry about leaks. But the fuel savings will never cover the additional cost and maintenance of the IPS. Guess it comes down to whether the extra MPH is worth it.

Vdrive is simple but slower.

But I wonder about your comment about them moving away from pods?

Most of the boats I am looking at have pods but earlier models have vdrive so I could do both

They are amazing as an operator. Super easy to drive and average 7mph faster than their vdrive counterparts in the same hull. But your right! Super high maintenance, cost of ownership is probably 30% that over a vdrive setup just in regular service, and any repair requires dry docking or haul out. Pod drives I think were a neat idea but Volvo and Merc are already starting to move away from them and designing joystick systems that can integrate with traditional vdrive systems and thrusters

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I have been looking at both of these drive setups and been wondering about them also

The IPS is faster and gets better MPG. But the fuel savings will never cover the additional cost and maintenance of the IPS. Guess it comes down to whether the extra MPH is worth it.

Vdrive is simple but slower.

But I wonder about your comment about them moving away from pods?

I dont think they will ever completely do away with them as there is an absolute niche market for them. But with the resurgence of outboards taking a huge market share and the added cost of running IPS or Zeus drives vs traditional inboard. My reps have told me that the technology is where it is and the companies are starting to invest in expanding the controls systems into more economical drive platforms rather than try to update pod systems. Right now, Volvo has their hands full trying to make Seven Marine viable again and get it ready for a nation/world wide launch which is eating up big infrastructure dollars and Merc hasn't done much in the way of Zeus lately

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Makes sense. The initial cost of IPS is daunting.

And they do sell a lot of outboards so that is a good play.

I think the resale market for IPS might be better as the price is close to vdrive on the resale than when new.

Dunno?

I dont think they will ever completely do away with them as there is an absolute niche market for them. But with the resurgence of outboards taking a huge market share and the added cost of running IPS or Zeus drives vs traditional inboard. My reps have told me that the technology is where it is and the companies are starting to invest in expanding the controls systems into more economical drive platforms rather than try to update pod systems. Right now, Volvo has their hands full trying to make Seven Marine viable again and get it ready for a nation/world wide launch which is eating up big infrastructure dollars and Merc hasn't done much in the way of Zeus lately

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I think the best way to approach them is like a house with a pool in the backyard. Do they make the house stand out against others when it comes time to sell, yes. Do they make it more valuable, not necessarily. And then theres the added maintenance costs.

I would only buy a boat rigged with them if you yourself want the pods and the benefits that come with them as they are a bad investment otherwise. For some owners, they save the cost of chartering a captain which is something to consider as well. You will get some edge up on resale, but not enough to make up for the the extra expendature. My $0.02

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Do you buzz over and back or stay the night? It’s gotta be a quick trip over.

Most of the time I shoot over for the afternoon or lunch. It takes me about 30 / 40 minutes to get there depending on how much I am on it.

Reactions: DWC

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
I ain't selling and I ain't buying
I'm Happy
6745.jpeg
FB_IMG_1567984753224.jpg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Interesting takes. Thanks

The other part I cannot wrap my head around is how important the mph difference is for these. The one I am looking at the cruising speed difference is 25 mph for vdrive or 30 mph for pod. While that is big in terms of % realistically does it matter real world? I dunno having never drove one.

5 mph in the performance world is nothing. But 5 mph over a long distance while moving slowly could be substantial.

Plus the pods maintenance nightmare.

Things I need to consider?!?!

I think the best way to approach them is like a house with a pool in the backyard. Do they make the house stand out against others when it comes time to sell, yes. Do they make it more valuable, not necessarily. And then theres the added maintenance costs.

I would only buy a boat rigged with them if you yourself want the pods and the benefits that come with them as they are a bad investment otherwise. For some owners, they save the cost of chartering a captain which is something to consider as well. You will get some edge up on resale, but not enough to make up for the the extra expendature. My $0.02

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
af425e9a-7053-4629-942c-9ea152da3081.jpg

No one I know gets out more than Old Man Tim (70 something years old). Part of the Parker Foil Crew. Skis year round in his 90's Ski Nautique Open Bow (SNOB). Best one liner he told me "I am tired after skiing 112 days in a row"! Can't wait to retire and join him. This is from this morning!

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
20190925_165628.jpg
So I’m going to go out on a limb because I’ve earned the title and ask the question.

How many of the cyber boaters on here are actually going to write a check for a new boat before the Libs fuck everything up?

I get tons of boating questions on performance ,reliability, endurance, practicalness, maintenance, warranty, but deep down I wonder who will actually do anything about it? I feel like there’s a whole lot of keyboard pushing and not check writing?
Support the industry !!!!!!
The future is here!
Outboards are taking over!
Go to church!
The Outboard church! LOL

Trust me actually being on the water and pushing the throttle is much more fun than pushing a stupid ass keyboard!

Don’t get me wrong. I love RDP. But post the pictures of your boating content. Your life boating experiences!
YOUR new build in The From The mold section.

Bring it !!!!

Worked all Summer on set up for this 2020 Allison XB21. It was literally one of the very first ones to get the 250R and set up was totally wrong when I got it. 74mph is all I could squeeze out of her at first. Yesterday, with all my tournament fishing gear, I finally hit 90mph at 2800ft elevation. Boat should see 95/96 with a bigger wheel at sea level.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
View attachment 815038

Worked all Summer on set up for this 2020 Allison XB21. It was literally one of the very first ones to get the 250R and set up was totally wrong when I got it. 74mph is all I could squeeze out of her at first. Yesterday, with all my tournament fishing gear, I finally hit 90mph at 2800ft elevation. Boat should see 95/96 with a bigger wheel at sea level.

That's baddass.

River Runnin

Reaction score
But post the pictures of your boating content. Your life boating experiences!
YOUR new build in The From The mold section.

Have boated in the PNW most my life. Deschutes, Columbia, Snake, Clearwater, a few lakes in the Cascades, and Central OR area.
Bully Build 01.jpg
Bully Build 02.jpg
Bully Build 03.jpg
Bully Build 04.jpg
Bully Build 05.jpg
Bully Build 06.jpg

Touching water for the first time! .... Snake River, Lewiston ID
Bully Build 07.jpg

First engine start!
Bully Build 08.jpg

Being Delivered!
Bully Build 09.jpg

Part One.... A couple pics of the build. I run the first River Jet for 13 years. Glass just don't do well in places I liked to go!

BlowMe

Reaction score
Do you really have more fun in a new and faster boat? The 2 19' boats I own are perfect for where I do 90% of my boating. Where you boat and the size of your family are the two most important factors. If I lived in Havasu my boats wouldn't be suitable.
For me it's the people I boat with that make boating fun. The boat just gets us all together. View attachment 814319

Exactly how we do it here on the Mississippi in st.louis. absolutely love it

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
The Barron 19
For a lil guy this would still have a ton of room as an outboard.

I’m not sure if they can do an open bow? Maybe? It would be little.
I think a 250 or 300 would be a killer package with this hull.

View attachment 815226 View attachment 815227 View attachment 815228 View attachment 815229 View attachment 815230 View attachment 815231 View attachment 815232 View attachment 815233
That thing would SCREAM with a 300r....

Holy shit that'd be a blast to tear around in!!!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

River Runnin

Reaction score
Over the years -- And starting with RD's 336 Race in Parker! (I still have the soft side cooler the lunch & drinks came in and a couple staff Tee shirt) I've helped out with 4 or 5 of them now with a team onboard, and also other sanctioned Events where WMI Rescue in required.....Parker Enduro, APBA, and NWSRA water ski races.

So a little sample of that content! ;-) ...Out of order of corse!
Bully Build 35.jpg
Bully Build 36.jpg
Bully Build 37.jpg
Bully Build 38.jpg

Bully Build 39.jpg

First lap of the 2019 Parker Enduro!
Bully Build 40.jpg
Bully Build 41.jpg
Bully Build 42.jpg
Bully Build 43.jpg
Bully Build 45.jpg
Bully Build 46.jpg
Bully Build 47.jpg
Bully Build 50.jpg
Bully Build 51.jpg
Bully Build 52.jpg
Bully Build 53.jpg
Bully Build 54.jpg
Bully Build 55.jpg

New to boating

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is, but good for you. Don’t pull a muscle patting yoreself on the back.

Actually I think everyone knows why Paul posted that - they are just now writing it here.... but they know.....

As for what is actually written, here is another prospective.....

I do not see Outboards "taking over".... there is a certain segment of the performance boating marketplace (Buyers) that will tolerate the complete lack of excitement you feel in a large air entrapment catamaran that is outboard powered (including the new 450 Boats) in exchange for a 5 year warranty and "gas and go" reliability.....

There is also a certain segment of the performance boating marketplace (Buyers) who want to have a 150 foot rooster tail, and 50% of the throttle left when they are running 100 mph and not needing 60 degree air temp or headed "the favorable way" (you Guys all know the favorable way, its the direction in the river that adds between 3 and 6 MPH of "fake speed" to your GPS on any given day in the River) to get the last 10 MPH out of the boat... not to mention the sound of 2 big blocks at 6000 RPM thru 6" tailpipes

You also have some center consoles that are Outboard Powered that run almost as fast as some of the larger Outboard Powered Air Entrapment Catamarans - and they have hard top sun protection, blenders and bathrooms....

And of course now we have a 28 foot DCB that ran 133 with 450's - with 1 person, a sip of gas, cold air and I suspect the "favorable direction in the river".... Someone should ask the "delivery expert" at DCB how fast that same boat ran with 3 people, some gas, a cooler and not in "best possible" direction in the river - I know the number, maybe ask him to tell us all?

And to all of you who are not "storking checks for new build outboards" good for you - let some Poser take the hit on price and then you buy then at a 40% discount with low hours...

Disclosure.... I have owned several premium brand large air entrapment multi engine Outboard boats, and several large air entrapment premium brand multi engine Inboard boats and have one right now.... so my opinion is not based upon speculation... it is reality

Also question... take a look on Offshore Only in the classified section... see how many Wright Performance 36 Ourtboard Boats and MTI 34 Ourboard Boats are for sale..... a massive amount.... DO you wonder why?, I dont - its because they are BOORING to run

I also find it interesting that the "Keyboard Cowboys" you are "calling out" are the only reason anyone on the planet knows who you are" - I suggest you don't piss them off, you will lose your entire 20 person audiance

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
What brands are considered “premium brand”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Agreed. There are finally some 400 boats on the used market. And they sell as quickly as they hit the market. As long as they’re priced realistically.

I have a friend who just converted from a 30+ foot big power inboard to a twin outboard. He had to take a major hit to dump the unwanted inboard.

Cat manufacturer’s are building more than 5 outboards for every 1 inboard ! Wow !!!

That’ll be probably more like 10 to 1 as 450 and 500 hp outboard‘s become commonplace.

Trend ? Yep. Obviously the world has figured out that anything less than a 3 to 5 year warranty is a BAD decision.

As far as resale sure depending on how you buy you may or may not get hurt.

But one thing is for sure. You’ll be able to sell your silent outboard fishing boat motor boat much quicker than you can give away your car boat motor boat.
ALWAYS!!

I don’t know about anyone else. But it is a good feeling to know you have something people want. Rather than an unwanted dinosaur.

575cat

Reaction score
Ins might be an issue , just called my carrier who I have dealt with for many years previous cat ins also any have lost 2 major carriers recently , just curious Bully what are you paying ? Im at 2200 a year 38 700 boat 110+ mph 180K agreed value 60 yrs couple previous 100+ mph cats , Im guessing 5-6K+

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
Agreed. There are finally some 400 boats on the used market. And they sell as quickly as they hit the market. As long as they’re priced realistically.

I have a friend who just converted from a 30+ foot big power inboard to a twin outboard. He had to take a major hit to dump the unwanted inboard.

Cat manufacturer’s are building more than 5 outboards for every 1 inboard ! Wow !!!

That’ll be probably more like 10 to 1 as 450 and 500 hp outboard‘s become commonplace.

Trend ? Yep. Obviously the world has figured out that anything less than a 3 to 5 year warranty is a BAD decision.

As far as resale sure depending on how you buy you may or may not get hurt.

But one thing is for sure. You’ll be able to sell your silent outboard fishing boat motor boat much quicker than you can give away your car boat motor boat.
ALWAYS!!

I don’t know about anyone else. But it is a good feeling to know you have something people want. Rather than an unwanted dinosaur.

As to what I've seen with my own eyes.

Skater (was there last week) has probably 14-16 boats going. My guess is there are 3-4 that are outboards.

MTI- When we visited prior to ordering our Skater, Randy was insistent we order a 340X. He almost insinuated we are not making a good purchasing decision, by not buying an outboard.

As New to Boating states, and I agree, I am just not that buyer. I however hold no ill feeling towards an outboard powered cat. It's just not for me.

I asked Peter Hledin at lunch about this and just how big, he thinks outboards will go. His immediate answer was 700HP. even at that, I'm still not that buyer.