WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where Can I Get A Good Steak?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I know where to find a big piece of meat.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Let’s keep it real here and discuss the best cooking methods.

I prep it at room temperature and put a rub with herbs and olive oil.

Either on BBQ with high heat and a couple minutes each side

OR

Seared in cast iron skillet and in the oven under the broiler

Medium rare only.

I also keep it the fridge uncovered for at least a day

relaxalot

Reaction score
Ribeye from Costco prime 23.99 lb

Attachments

• E2AAA8C0-0A46-45A2-8767-6A63BCDE3299.jpeg
    E2AAA8C0-0A46-45A2-8767-6A63BCDE3299.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 106

fishfyter

Reaction score

OR

Medium rare only.

You take that steak seared in the skillet put some butter on it before you finish it in the broiler. Awsome

Nordie

Reaction score
Best Ribeye I bought to take home was from Publix, the Florida guys will understand. Jewel Osco had some good cuts of meat as well. Here in vegas the go to is either Costco or Albertsons

WildWilly

Reaction score
Also try the Meat Cellar in Claremont. Ate their once for a later lunch and it was good. The dinner steaks looked great.

Meat Cellar for the win. when you first walk in you will have your doubts. All of which will be erased at first bite. That guy knows his shit about meat. And he also gets some cool unique meats/cuts so be adventurous. I had one of the best cuts of pork I've ever had there from some crazy south american long haired pig lol

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Roscoes is down the street from me
Depending on how you define street, me too... My son and his GF are bartenders there as well. With that noted, never tried the Ribeye. Gonna do that next time I'm there.

Reactions: DWC

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

OR

Medium rare only.

IMHO, you don't need the broiler if you sear one side first, just a nice hot oven.

On a good steak all I do is put salt on it. Salt is liberally about 5 minutes before cooking. That promotes the maillard reaction that gives you that great crust on a steak.

Whoever said gorgonzola butter is exactly right! Maytag blue cheese works also.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
With all this steak talking. Hitting up Costco and getting ribeye cap steaks and sous vide them. Had the machine for a year and never used it. So this is the day.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I had a great ribeye at pinnacle peak in colton.. Cool western theme going on in there.. Supposedly haunted as well..:rolleyes:

DWC

Reaction score
Roscoes is down the street from me, I always have a variety of great sandwiches. I’m going to do the steak next time, shit I never saw it on menu, but didn’t look for a steak with the great food they have
All the steak talk got me.. ended up at Roscoes last night for the Prime Rib.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Just picked up this 5 pack from Costco. The marbling is amazing on this one. You can’t beat Costco steaks.

View attachment 815692

keep an eye out when the whole bone in rib roast is sold. Always around Christmas and Mother’s Day. Can beat it. It’s a few hundy but worth it.

those look good, heading out now for some ribeye caps.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Now that Roscoe’s is in the mix we might be heading there just to see if this info is on the up and up.

WildWilly

Reaction score
since I like med rare on steak the sous vide didn't work for me. Just wasn't a fan of the texture and since you can achieve a med rare pretty easily with a straight sear or reverse sear in a cast iron I didn't see a need for it. But I also don't do 2"+ steaks so maybe then. But sous vide is great for most things

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Last year I spent about $8K at Outback....no joke, no exaggeration.:eek: it's basically the closest decent restaurant to our house.
How many Bloomin' Onions you run through?

Old Texan

Reaction score
With all this steak talking. Hitting up Costco and getting ribeye cap steaks and sous vide them. Had the machine for a year and never used it. So this is the day.
I do this. Sous Vide for 12 hours at 120, then salt and pepper and throw it on a super hot charcoal grill to crust the outside.....Literally cut it with a fork and juicy as hell. Medium rare.

The process breaks down the protein fibers of the meat and removes any hint of toughness. I do skirt steak this way, SV 12- 24 hours and folks are amazed how tender and juicy med rare fajitas can be.

Perfect every time:D

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I do this. Sous Vide for 12 hours at 120, then salt and pepper and throw it on a super hot charcoal grill to crust the outside.....Literally cut it with a fork and juicy as hell. Medium rare.

The process breaks down the protein fibers of the meat and removes any hint of toughness. I do skirt steak this way, SV 12- 24 hours and folks are amazed how tender and juicy med rare fajitas can be.

Perfect every time:D

damn 12hrs? I had the machine for a year and first time using it, so I’m new at it and not really sure how to adjust time for the cut of meat.

will be doing double cut pork chops next. Should I brine first? Also ways do, but never sous vide them.

relaxalot

Reaction score
Brine pork chops... then I cook them low and slow on a smoker.. then into a black cast iron skillet very hot... yum

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
I am not sure if they are offering it yet however last year at Christmas time I went to Costco and scored a gift card for my parents to Flemmings and it was 50 or 75 and the face value was worth 100.00 so that could be an option if they have them out already. On a side note my grandaughters father is the manager there named James. My daughter and son in law work for Ruth Chris Pasadena.

Good Luck

relaxalot

Reaction score
I am not sure if they are offering it yet however last year at Christmas time I went to Costco and scored a gift card for my parents to Flemmings and it was 50 or 75 and the face value was worth 100.00 so that could be an option if they have them out already. On a side note my grandaughters father is the manager there named James. My daughter and son in law work for Ruth Chris Pasadena.

Good Luck
Yes.. they have them at Costco now.. 79.00 for 100.00 they also have The Derby in Arcadia same deal

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Besides my own BBQ, the best steak I have ever had was at Houston's Steakhouse in Irvine. Salt Grass in Laughlin came in at a close 2nd Place.

If your taking 4 people out for a Good Steak be prepared to pay up the butt. Good Steak is not Cheap & Cheap Steak is not Good!!!

Old Texan

Reaction score
damn 12hrs? I had the machine for a year and first time using it, so I’m new at it and not really sure how to adjust time for the cut of meat.

will be doing double cut pork chops next. Should I brine first? Also ways do, but never sous vide them.
An important consideration is your meat source. Meat from the market is not typically aged as long and a different process is used than for beef in high end restaurants.

So that is why I sous vide them longer. If your meat source is a custom butcher that allows the meat to age in a humidity controlled cooler for up to 28 days, usually dry aged in bulk quarters, the sous vide isn't needed. The long aging does the process the sous vide does.

As far as supermarket cuts, 3-4 hours is adequate with better cuts, but I like to really let the enzymes work to break down the meat proteins, especially on the skirt steaks mentioned.

If you start with a prime cut, time can/should be much less.

Keep in mind the process keeps the meat at a constant temp so it isn't going to over cook. But it can get almost too tender as the proteins break down.

I never add seasonings or marinade on long immersions as it can effect taste from the natural juices. Just like grilling and cooking, trial and error will get you where you want to be.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
This.

Make it a road trip get away weekend. No better steaks on the planet.

Stay here, and you can check out Everything from Morro Bay to Hurst Castle.

http://www.baywoodinn.com/

You'll be close to Pismo too. It will be a few days he won't soon forget.

I’ve never been but know a few people that have and they say pretty much the same thing that it was hands down the best steak they had ever eaten

NicPaus

Reaction score
I’ve never been but know a few people that have and they say pretty much the same thing that it was hands down the best steak they had ever eaten
Spencer Ribeye. Used to hit it back in the Naci days. Best steak I have had at a restaurant.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Spencer Ribeye. Used to hit it back in the Naci days. Best steak I have had at a restaurant.

Yep. That's what I was told to order as well. When they brought it to the table, I said...

No way I can finish all that!

It was gone shortly after the first bite. Absolutely amazing.

sirbob

Reaction score
Fleming’s
Ruth Chris
Morton’s
Capitol Grill
Mastros
Bobs
Smith & Wolinskis
Harry Carry’s
Prime
Etc.

I’ve spent my adult life living on an expense account while traveling, I’ve eaten at them all (and more).

... they are all about the same.

Hard to go wrong with any of them.

But if you are ever in west TX and feel the need to eat a 72 oz steak... don’t confuse it for one from these others places !

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Fleming’s
Ruth Chris
Morton’s
Capitol Grill
Mastros
Bobs
Smith & Wolinskis
Harry Carry’s
Prime
Etc.

I’ve spent my adult life living on an expense account while traveling, I’ve eaten at them all (and more).

... they are all about the same.

Hard to go wrong with any of them.

But if you are ever in west TX and feel the need to eat a 72 oz steak... don’t confuse it for one from these others places !

the best steak ever I had has been “Bones” Steak house in Atlanta, bar non. Still need to make my way to Peter Lugers though.

Never heard of “Bobs” where is it located?

sirbob

Reaction score
the best steak ever I had has been “Bones” Steak house in Atlanta, bar non. Still need to make my way to Peter Lugers though.

Never heard of “Bobs” where is it located?

Bones is great in Buckhead - great story about taking a customer there once that had to see the World Series - I had to pay a valet to go buy a tv and set it up at our table on a bus tray so my customer could watch that game!

Bobs is a Morton’s type place based in TX - houston / dalllas etc - their thing is the roasted carrot covered in brown sugar. It comes with all the entree's.

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
That's been my life as well. Crazy the bill I can ring up just by myself. Doh!

LMAO. We have a son that was in college at West Texas A & M, and I also went to Amarillo often on business. There is no way anyone can understand anything about The Big Texan Steak Ranch without going. I love it! But certainly not for the food...

sirbob

Reaction score
That's been my life as well. Crazy the bill I can ring up just by myself. Doh!

LMAO. We have a son that was in college at West Texas A & M, and I also went to Amarillo often on business. There is no way anyone can understand anything about The Big Texan Steak Ranch without going. I love it! But certainly not for the food...

Any of those places will hurt ($) you fast - a couple of martinis to get started - followed by the seafood tower - then an expensive steak with a la cart sides - while washing it down with a bottle of caymas / silver oak / far niente cab - wrap it up with the favorite ridiculous over sized desert of the house - then undo your belt buckle and setting in for an after dinner Loui ...

$!!!!,!!!!

They advertise that 72 oz steak 3 states away on billboards!

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Despite me saying you can't know about the Big Texan without going, this video is pretty descriptive:
Basically, you pay $72 up front. 72 ounce steak, if you finish it within an hour (includes shrimp cocktail, salad, bread and baked potato) they credit your card. I've watched a few do it, and you can tell in 5 minutes that they aren't gonna finish. Oddly, their world record (can't find on site easily, but it's on all of their menus) was from a 110 lb woman who ate three of the complete dinners within the hour :eek:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
Any of those places will hurt ($) you fast - a couple of martinis to get started - followed by the seafood tower - then an expensive steak with a la cart sides - while washing it down with a bottle of caymas / silver oak / far niente cab - wrap it up with the favorite ridiculous over sized desert of the house - then undo your belt buckle and setting in for an after dinner Loui ...
You forgot the champagne after the martini, but before the red wine, during the appetizer. Otherwise, nailed it!

wzuber

Reaction score
Is there a Mastros near by?
newport beach...and a much nicer environment too...price will b about the same. however..if ya get there for happy hour he will likely get picked up by a cougar or other horny as fuck lady and give him a "night to remember" for a very long time..haha

Wavemaker

Reaction score
Damon’s Glendale. 317 N Brand tiki tiki tiki

My wife and I have been going to Damon’s for over 30 years. Fantastic steak dinners, and great drinks too! A real Old time classic steakhouse.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
What, no Shout Out's for Clearmans Northwoods Inn??

Steaks are good, and both salads and cheese breads are to die for.