WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Don’t waste my time!

socalrzr

Reaction score
Posted my Tahoe for sale a couple of days ago on the usual online sites, and immediately started getting the customary low ball offers coming in. No big deal, annoying, but no big deal.

Then come the guys that call and waste 10 minutes of your day with bullshit and a few oddball questions only to lowball.

Next there are the guys that text you 50 questions over half an hour or more (some of which made me confused to the fact that I should know the answer or not) then finally decide that you have a decent enough product to make an offer. They then low ball you at an even lower price than the guy that shoots you the first text insult.

We culminate this evenings adventure with a guy that asked few, but to the point questions, asking to view the vehicle (I later determined that this gave me an unfortunate false sense of hope). After being almost an hour late to see his perspective purchase, going over it with a cell phone light, test drive, one more phone light tour, and finally discussing it with his wife for 5-10 minutes gave me the lowest offer yet.

How do you waste someone’s family dinner time only to low ball them at less than 75% of what there asking? I know that everyone wants the best deal possible but if you don’t want to spend close to asking don’t waste any more time than necessary. Ask the important bottom dollar question first.

To top it off the guy didn’t even have the money with him to support his “generous” offer tonight. What if I had a terrible day, or somehow succumb to a bought of extreme hypoglycemia? Maybe a few too many beers? My judgement could have been abnormally impaired and the guy would have never been able to take advantage of my compromised state.

Sorry for the rant but it feels good to get it off my chest. Let me know if your interested in a 2012 Tahoe.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The ones who seem to ask the most questions seem to be less sure they want to purchase. The ones who ask if you can show it right now, seem to show up with money and a driver. At least that has been my expeience the last year or so. Still sucks, have to be in contact with all the fucktards hoping to get the one buyer.

NicPaus

Reaction score
How much you askin for it Steve?

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Will you take $3800 in payments? I got $300 on me

Brobee

Reaction score
Posted in all the online forums but not on here? Nicest car I’ve had was my 2010 Tahoe. I still regret getting rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

attitude

Reaction score
Iv had a guy texting me off and on about my car in broken English for the last couple of days, he calls me today and speaks perfect English then at the end of the call he claims he is calling for his buddy tells me he’s going to give me his contact info and asks me to call him. Uh what?

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
It’s a pain whether you sell a $75 desk or a multi-thousand dollar vehicle or vessel. A bunch of stupid questions and a ridiculous low ball offer. People have been watching too many Pawn Stars episodes, (I.e. low ball offers).

Why do people throw out many of their low ball offers without even seeing the item? I thought it was have a phone chat, meet in person, kick the tires and the throw out an offer? Doesn’t work that way anymore I guess?

socalrzr

Reaction score
I just expected someone to show up with cash and a reasonable offer. I guess it has been a while since I sold a vehicle and it wasn’t near this bad last time.
Also I did post a for sale here if anyone is interested

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
Welcome to my world !!! In today’s Automotive Market, if you don’t price every car online with a competitive price the phone won’t ring period!!! With this in mind, sometimes you do okay and sometimes you don’t. If I could average $500 on every new car we sold and $750 on every Used car sold I would be elated (that includes Buick, GMC and Cadillac models..)

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I always put in my bottom line price with the word “FIRM” in capitol letters. It doesn’t always work on some of the geniuses out there but it helps weed out some.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
The ones that bug me are the guys that show up and start talking about stupid stuff not even related to what your selling. You just wanna say Shut Up !

JordanDangerfield

Reaction score
Also, found your ad. My sister is looking for something similar. I'll pass it along to her. GLWS!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

boatpi

Reaction score
In the last call of the night they said they’ll be there the next morning in cash to pay you your asking price they call back in the morning and tell you they can’t make it because they talk to the wife for the first time about the purchase, and she said fuck no!

77charger

Reaction score
Friend of mine trolled one guy hard when he was selling a quad. Offered less than half his asking price he then just said sure.
Guy wants to now come see it he gives an address to the local shopping center buyer shows and calls my buddy asking if this is a joke. Buddy responds with a no but there's an ATM there now go inside and get the rest of the money and I'll bring the quad.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Both buying and selling have always a worked well and been pretty quick for me... I post the kbb or edmunds private party price along with my ad. Price it in the middle and take anything in that range... done and over in a week.

Reactions: t&y

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Welcome to my world !!! In today’s Automotive Market, if you don’t price every car online with a competitive price the phone won’t ring
period!!! With this in mind, sometimes you do okay and sometimes you don’t. If I could average $500 on every new car we sold and $750 on every Used car sold I would be elated (that includes Buick, GMC and Cadillac models..)

I bought my 2017 Sierra from your dealership, very good experience, went back looking to replace the Wife’s SRX that was totaled in May, didn’t seem to me they were wanted to sell a car that day. Still I give the dealership a thumbs up on the new truck purchase and the service department.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Both buying and selling have always a worked well and been pretty quick for me... I post the kbb or edmunds private party price along with my ad. Price it in the middle and take anything in that range... done and over in a week.

Do you have any boats or cars for sale? :D

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
From the buyers perspective it's simple; They want the best deal possible. Adds that don't specify a firm price are considered negotiable. That dates back years on the new and used car lots and personal classifieds.

If you don't want any negotiation, just do like others have suggested and put FIRM after your price.

If I'm looking for something, but don't need it RIGHT NOW, I will generally contact the seller and offer them a low price. I don't waste their time, I explain I'm in no hurry, so if they ever get down to that price I'm their buyer. I'm not advocating wasting anybody's time asking nonsense questions or showing up not ready to actually buy something.

Nice looking Tahoe. I asked in that thread the gas millage because I am actually interested in knowing, and figure most others looking to buy would be too. GLWS

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Damn, if it was 4wd I’d bring the cash today no questions asked.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Do you have any boats or cars for sale? :D

Actually,... I have a 1992 F150 prerunner I need to sell. Go fast bronco type build +4 over all the way around. full caged, 3 seater... I have about 15K in parts into it and I would probably start at about $6500... Its not registered currently, but has been for many years. Its down at my house in Mexico, I just have to go get it. I will drive it back on the street 300 miles if that says anything about its condition. I am just procrastinating.

I also have a 1993 malibu flightcraft, with a merc 200 on it... tower and barefoot boom set up. 1500 hours on the OB and runs perfect .. $6500 asking. Also in mexico which is why I haven't been motivated to get it up here an on craigslist.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
When I sold my last boat this guy called me with all kinds of stupid questions. He asked over and over “bout how fast that thing run”? He kept telling me “you see we go to Havasu and you gotta run at least 75mph if you go to Havasu”. I told him several times that the boat was in Havasu very often but he kept insisting that I didn’t understand and that he goes to Havasu. He actually called me twice and gave me the same speech. He didn’t realize he had already called on the boat. I wish I had it in tape. Over and over “i don’t know if you’ve ever been to Havasu but we go to Havasu, you gotta run at least 75 mile an hour if you want to go to Havasu”. LOL

Xring01

Reaction score
I have sold alot of stuff on CList...
Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, Trailers and etc...

Yes there is the common thread of a Text Messages with lowball offers, which I just ignore.

I advise them that everything in life is negotiable, but I am not negotiating until you come see it. Pending your offer, depends on my price. Someone standing in front of me with a fist full of hundred dollar bills is alot better than someone who has to go to a bank and get a loan, or call grandma for a loan... That weeds out the majority of the idiots.

If they are truly interested, then they will come out to see what I have for sale. Honestly, the majority of the time, the first person to come look at what I am selling, normally drives away with it.

I price things very strategically. FIrst I take a look at the competition in the market. I price mine slightly lower than the competition, and will negotiate down a tad... but not a whole lot. Why, because you need to create a Win/Win for the buyer.

If the competition is advertising the same item an $10,500. They get fewer calls... I get a shot at that customer first, because I have my price set lower.

I advertise the same item for $10,000, but I may negotiate it for $9500. But note: the stuff I own has been well taken care of and is not beat up at all, I let them know that in my ad, maintenance routines, overall condition of the interior, exterior, drive train, tires etc etc etc... Details will make the phone ring with the right customer. Lack of details, will invite the idiots. Take time to place you ads correct.

Then I put a disclaimer:
No Checks, No Wire Transfer, No Trades, No 420, No Third Party buyers or shippers, No Tattoos. I want CASH... maybe Cashier Check from a well known bank, with verified funds, before I release the item (Pending the Value).

Thats what works for me.

Last edited:

phuggit

Reaction score
I have a RZR on CL and got this response today....

Hi, thanks for the response and am satisfied with the price and the condition, kindly withdraw the advert from CL and considered it sold. I will add extra $50 with the initial price as you remove the ads. I will overnight a Cashier Check/Certified Check drawn from a local Banks. I will make the pick up arrangement as soon as you have the check clears and your have your cash. I would have loved to come and take a look and purchase with cash, but my work schedule as a (Doctor) is very tight, i work at 9090 Katy Fwy #200 from 8am - 8pm. So, I'll need you to provide me with the following information to overnight the Payment.

NOTE: I will appreciate your first response through email.

Full Name to be written on the Check..
Full Physical Address..
Final asking price..
Your valid cell phone# ..

I will mail the check to you asap and deliver to you within 48hours.

Thanks, hope to hear back from you. God bless!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
...This is why I’m going to let my four boats about six cars and everything else I own just rot...hopefully everything will have just rotted... I will have just run out of money and I will have just dropped dead all st the same time..sounds logical to me???

I'd sell a few and use the money to finish one or two.

RD

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
I'd sell a few and use the money to finish one or two.

RD
...Prescription med change seems to be dumping me further into the donut hole as I don’t have the ambition to get myself organized on any of this... Probably should have a little talk with my pain management doctor???.. (maybe there is a boat in his future)...lol....

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
You know how people say, "everyone should work in fast food or service industry" to appreciate what they go through, these are always a nice read for all of us that put in years selling cars for a living :) Its beyond infuriating, and I was over the moon I sold my Silverado last year to the first person to call, show up, brought money, done deal. No 20 questions, just all business. Transactions like that make me miss working in dealerships, every other type makes me glad I no longer do, and I really am considering selling my boat, but not wanting to deal with this is making me delay it all :)

socalrzr

Reaction score
Well I don't believe it. The guy from last night made about 10 counter offers today via text. I kept reiterating that I already told him the lowest price I would take. He finally got within a few hundred dollars and I said no thanks. 20min later he calls and says he will meet me at the bank. I guess I shouldn't have badmouthed him so hard last night. Just hope he is as happy with the car as I was because he had us both working for it.

BingerFang

Reaction score
I have a RZR on CL and got this response today....

Hi, thanks for the response and am satisfied with the price and the condition, kindly withdraw the advert from CL and considered it sold. I will add extra $50 with the initial price as you remove the ads. I will overnight a Cashier Check/Certified Check drawn from a local Banks. I will make the pick up arrangement as soon as you have the check clears and your have your cash. I would have loved to come and take a look and purchase with cash, but my work schedule as a (Doctor) is very tight, i work at 9090 Katy Fwy #200 from 8am - 8pm. So, I'll need you to provide me with the following information to overnight the Payment.

NOTE: I will appreciate your first response through email.

Full Name to be written on the Check..
Full Physical Address..
Final asking price..
Your valid cell phone# ..

I will mail the check to you asap and deliver to you within 48hours.

Thanks, hope to hear back from you. God bless!

don’t waste your time responding. Scammer #fakenews

BingerFang

Reaction score
If you don’t put “firm” anywhere in the ad that leaves the door open for negotiation.... the answer is always no if you don’t ask :)

socalrzr

Reaction score
If you don’t put “firm” anywhere in the ad that leaves the door open for negotiation.... the answer is always no if you don’t ask :)

I know, I also feel they lowball if you say "firm" or not. I always try to pad a tiny amount into any add just to make them feel better about themselves. Im not trying to overprice my stuff but at least put it towards the top of its value. I will also not private sell any vehicle that I know has a problem, and have lost a lot of money in the past

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
I bought my 2017 Sierra from your dealership, very good experience, went back looking to replace the Wife’s SRX that was totaled in May, didn’t seem to me they were wanted to sell a car that day. Still I give the dealership a thumbs up on the new truck purchase and the service department.
Thank you... if you ever need anything just ask for Dave

Your ad here

Reaction score
I don't really care about low ball offers as I'll just say no. What drives me up the wall is when someone out of town wants something I am selling and ask me to make it convenient for them because they can't come on Saturday or Sunday or won't make the drive. I'm not taking a day off work to wait for you. One guy got bent out of shape because he was in Phoenix at 3 and wanted to buy what I was selling. I told him I'm at work and he started crying about how he had to go North in an hour. Well too bad. Its finally gotten to the point once they say they are on the other side of Phoenix I tell them I'm not selling to them because they won't make the drive and I'm not delivering. On offer up I get a lot more dumb shits than on CL. I did sell an extension cord for $10. Guy starts talking about his jeep then trash trucks. I flat out told him I didn't come here to listen to your shit and left. Surprisingly he wasn't upset or shocked.

brgrcru

Reaction score
Actually,... I have a 1992 F150 prerunner I need to sell. Go fast bronco type build +4 over all the way around. full caged, 3 seater... I have about 15K in parts into it and I would probably start at about $6500... Its not registered currently, but has been for many years. Its down at my house in Mexico, I just have to go get it. I will drive it back on the street 300 miles if that says anything about its condition. I am just procrastinating.

I also have a 1993 malibu flightcraft, with a merc 200 on it... tower and barefoot boom set up. 1500 hours on the OB and runs perfect .. $6500 asking. Also in mexico which is why I haven't been motivated to get it up here an on craigslist.

Any pictures of the bronco ?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Any pictures of the bronco ?

Its an f150 not a bronco... but the front end is still 4x4 built like a go fast bronco.. cut and turned beams on coilovers

Attachments

• IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 54

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Well I don't believe it. The guy from last night made about 10 counter offers today via text. I kept reiterating that I already told him the lowest price I would take. He finally got within a few hundred dollars and I said no thanks. 20min later he calls and says he will meet me at the bank. I guess I shouldn't have badmouthed him so hard last night. Just hope he is as happy with the car as I was because he had us both working for it.
Hate the game not the player...

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
People are lonely. The thought that someone will have a conversation with them is to overwhelming. The price or the object is not important. I had a 5th wheel and a kiln for sale at the same time. The guy (or gal) had the same line of questions on both. I respond the the same on most responses, the price is X, when would you like to come see it, I'll answer your question then. Weeds out most of the bullshit.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Sometimes is easier to take it to Carmax and avoid the hassle.

WINNER! Last year I gave a car a week on a forum, ignored the dumb questions, then drove to over to a dealer and sold it.

Some years ago I advertised a car on a forum conducive to that car. One guy asked how fast I have ever driven in reverse, another asked how old are the windshield wipers (not kidding). This was an iconic newer american made sports car, and someone ask about windshield wipers? - 2 other guys had "cash in hand", gave them directions to my home, and never showed. Sold it to a dealer.

I getting ready to move, could live without my RZR & trailer where I am going. Thought about selling but as this thread describes, I don't want the hassle - Its going inside the trailer, and then going to an RV storage until I get back to AZ and pick it up.

I guess it makes people feel important to talk the talk. The "I am calling for a buddy" thing - I would never really this to someone but think to myself, "is your buddy too much of a pussy to call himself".

Taboma

Reaction score
2FF is jealous of this thread...
2FF causes me to feel woefully inadequate when it comes to selling ANYTHING --- That's just wrong that he makes me feel this way, :( I deserve reparations :p