WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Camping with neighbors and friends.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We had a few families in the neighborhood that had been friends for decades. Close friends. Worked together, church together but never traveled together.
This ended when they all rented a houseboat for a week. Read that: A.

By day 3 they had all returned early and hated each other to the point they all moved away.
Someone stunk it up and plugged the houseboats toilet with a deluxe shit, add everyone's ass in each other face while trying to just being social to each other in tight quarters failed in about 72 hours.

We have law enforcement neighbors that other than a hello, they never socialize with non law enforcement neighbors and that works out good for them. It's a smart policy. All excellent people, but they chose to keep their distance. Never invite neighbors on their off roading trips.

We have several off roading groups we roll with. One we had to recently quit because of a few toxic drunks. Jealous, cruel, threatening, your best friends one minute, one beer away from being your worst enemy.

They ran off most everyone else in the group and I think we were near the last to bail out. One other couple mentioned to us they have to quit the group over the drunks too.
Mean, caustic bastards when they drink.

I think it may be best sometimes to not get too close to those you party with.

We have a Glamis group where everyone jives nicely and are happy drinkers. Right there to help when something grenades, always cooking and inviting everyone over, they pack more beers than they ever drink to give their friends drinks too.

You choose your friends and ya fire your relatives.

Any tales?

Last edited:

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Used to do different kinds of camping trips with both friends and family, grew up doing it in fact. Was always fun, low on drama if any at all. Some of it boating trips, some offroad type trips, other times just for the sake of getting together. About the only drama I can really think of, is little things started getting complicated sometimes... some folks wanted to start trying to have big group meals for example. Sounded ok at first but ended up being more trouble than it was worth in my (and others) opinion and then it was like people were disappointed when everyone didn't want to participate. There were a couple instances where a couple of peeps (family) would over indulge and then some shit gets dredged up and its awkward for everybody else for a bit, lol. Haven't had that happen in quite awhile thankfully.

Far as friends... and getting together with them... our circle is somewhat small these days so it's always fun, no drama whatsoever. We haven't spent anything longer than a weekend with most of them though so the time to start getting on each others nerves is limited I guess. :p We've travelled with one other couple a few times for a week or more and things have always been good. Funny you mention a houseboat trip. I have wanted to do that for a long time, I think it would be pretty awesome to do something like the houseboat trips I see posted here. Good luck on getting anyone to commit sad as it is to say.

A lot of them don't do much camping anymore for one reason or another. Sold their boat, sold their camper, busy with kid stuff, etc... Real good group of folks. Life has just taken people in different directions and don't have the time for it I guess. We all still talk fairly regular and they all say the same thing, that they miss the old days when everyone got together regularly and all of that. Never seems to happen though, everyone is just busy with something, ourselves included. I do miss the get-togethers though. :cool:

Reactions: TPC

Your ad here

Reaction score
Been camping at Ocotillo since 02. We've typically had a small group. Siblings and parents and close friends of ours or parents. Always a pleasant time. We have been invited to join other groups but was always a headache. We like to have fun. Ride bikes, drink beer, listen to metal. Always the guys 10 years older would be jealous of us. They were also the type that we had to attend the camp fire and praise the camp president on letting us be at his camp and the privilege to be in his presence. Fuck that shit. Same guy after being a pain asked me for some premixed oil and I gave him enough for 4 gallons. After I handed it over he kick my brother and I out of camp for tying someone's bike to the golf cart and he drug it because he didn't know it was tied off. Ryan, the bike owner was there and told the guy it was him. Guy still kicked us out but didn't care. Had camping freedom again. Couple months later their group stop by our camp to say hi. They asked for some beers... we told them to beat it.
I've seen the 10 year cycle with many people and find myself falling in it... We did find a group through mutual friends and it was rough at first but once they realized we weren't trouble the eased up but the young wives didn't till they had kids then all of a sudden they were more friendly and respectful. The biggest trouble maker was alcohol. It would turn a mellow guy into a fighter and a cool chick into the biggest bitch.
Some people don't get it. Be nice and respectful to everyone. You'll never know when you'll need someone's help to salvage your trip but the person isn't interested because you've treated them like nothing. FWIW, I'm the guy with the service truck at the desert full of tools and parts.
On the water we never make plans to meet up. Its we are here and may move over to there. If we cross paths great, let's have a beer.

welldigger00

Reaction score
It’s like I wrote all of these threads. Holy shit, this is exactly what I’m going through. Everything from camping in the bed of a truck in the little dunes on the way to olds, to the best buds that were the insane ones that became cops, then the holier than thou asshole, to the raging jealous dude, to the blitzkrieg drunk, to the no kids couple that had them later in life, you name it. I wouldn’t trade any of it. Just miss it is all. Still got the trailer payment though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HotRod82

Reaction score
We have an informal initiation among my friends and family. Any new "prospect" that comes into the fold, whether it be camping, motorcycle riding, whatever, is invited to have a couple cocktails with us. If they are a happy drinker, we'll invite them further. If they are a mean or loudmouth drunk, they are never invited anywhere near us again. If they get hammered and jump in their RZR, they are never invited again either.

My other peeve is the know it all "I'm in charge" camping guy. I've run across so many of these types....they have a certain order in doing things and if you deviate at all he's on your ass. I have zero tolerance for drama, especially when camping.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Camped with another couple after we thought we had some shit in common.
Turned out we did sort of, he wound up in bed with my ex wife. She left me for him and he coached her on ruining our kids which he did a great job as well as setting up all kinds of let’s call the cops on Mike for ..........

Really fucked part is I moved to a neighboring city with my second wife and they moved in a mile down the road from me on the same street.

No more camping with them, they are now neighbors.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
My high school buddy has property in Ocotillo wells, we like to have fun, go shooting ride & party big fires pot luck etc and would camp on his property, things evolve and he would invite out misc people

We had fire walker- he would get blasted drunk and the decide to walk Accross a huge ass fire toss on a pallet and start his walk- this was like stupid stupid stupid, he never had a problem but if he did with everyone drinking who would take him to the ranger station if he did... I ended up having a small fire by my rig- wash drum fire

Alcoholic mother- she would literally drink from early am and be the last one to go to bed by the fire still having one more beer before bed...

The married guy that would come out for one night- then hit on everyone s wife as he is drunk and bitch about his wife

The loud mouth that is so bad ass he has to tell you how cool he is .... and he has to do it every day

The high school buddies that were dicks in school and yes still dicks later on like 15/20 years later

The guy who always has a dead battery, flat tire, no gas, ran out of ice, gives you one beer then drinks 15 of yours because he is out

The dating couple that like to fight, not like argue but throw blows then have make up sex in Frt of everyone and everyone gets to hear it

The single hot divorced with a big rack chick that has brought out 6 guys in the pat 7 trips and each guy think he’s the one, and has an attitude towards ever male in camp...

The parents that give their kid a bag of chips at meal time, and the chips become a baby sitter has they go to the hill to see what’s going on

I could go on and on

Then my buddy got all pissed off when I bought my own property.... fun times camping!

Meaney77

Reaction score
I can relate to every response so far- I think I have been in every situation mentioned above.

We are pretty fortunate, we have a pretty large group that we camp with both desert and river. Knock on wood everyone gets along and is pretty low drama, I hope it stays that way.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
Here is another that kills me: the bonehead that doesn’t even bring a durflame log but comes out of his $80,000 toy hauler with a giant plastic bag of his garbage, drops it in the fire at 8:30 and goes back in for the night.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Here is another that kills me: the bonehead that doesn’t even bring a durflame log but comes out of his $80,000 toy hauler with a giant plastic bag of his garbage, drops it in the fire at 8:30 and goes back in for the night.
I hate when people throw there garbage in the fire . It smells . It never fully burns . My wife and I usually stay a day longer for a half day and night of peace and quiet and end up raking up all there trash that did not burn .

77charger

Reaction score
My high school buddy has property in Ocotillo wells, we like to have fun, go shooting ride & party big fires pot luck etc and would camp on his property, things evolve and he would invite out misc people

We had fire walker- he would get blasted drunk and the decide to walk Accross a huge ass fire toss on a pallet and start his walk- this was like stupid stupid stupid, he never had a problem but if he did with everyone drinking who would take him to the ranger station if he did... I ended up having a small fire by my rig- wash drum fire

Alcoholic mother- she would literally drink from early am and be the last one to go to bed by the fire still having one more beer before bed...

The married guy that would come out for one night- then hit on everyone s wife as he is drunk and bitch about his wife

The loud mouth that is so bad ass he has to tell you how cool he is .... and he has to do it every day

The high school buddies that were dicks in school and yes still dicks later on like 15/20 years later

The guy who always has a dead battery, flat tire, no gas, ran out of ice, gives you one beer then drinks 15 of yours because he is out

The dating couple that like to fight, not like argue but throw blows then have make up sex in Frt of everyone and everyone gets to hear it

The single hot divorced with a big rack chick that has brought out 6 guys in the pat 7 trips and each guy think he’s the one, and has an attitude towards ever male in camp...

The parents that give their kid a bag of chips at meal time, and the chips become a baby sitter has they go to the hill to see what’s going on

I could go on and on

Then my buddy got all pissed off when I bought my own property.... fun times camping!
Dont forget theirs the guy with new expensive everything that still complains about their toys how they are not good enough

The guy who comes with the old stuff and has the most fun it all runs and works the whole time

The one whos always working on something because they choose not to maintain theyre stuff.

The ones whos older kids just race around camp all day long cause parents wont take them on a ride,etc

Your ad here

Reaction score
Dont forget theirs the guy with new expensive everything that still complains about their toys how they are not good enough

The guy who comes with the old stuff and has the most fun it all runs and works the whole time

The one whos always working on something because they choose not to maintain theyre stuff.

The ones whos older kids just race around camp all day long cause parents wont take them on a ride,etc
Dont forget the people that show up a few days after you and camp 25 feet away when there is a whole almost empty desert! Then the fuckers come over all mighty or real bitchy and tell you to turn your music off because their kids can't sleep. Had one guy park 20 feet away. Asked him to park further away and got defensive and ask where he should park. I pointed and said look at all that empty desert. Got bent out of shape and said I just wanted to park close so you can watch my stuff. I was like wtf? I don't watch anyone stuff and if you feel that way and park 20 feet from us at least come introduce yourself rather than load the family in the rail and take off without saying a word.

DLC

Reaction score

I totally forgot got about the older kids that think they need to race because they show boat in camp. But out on an actual ride they suck donkey KONG!

funny how people just can’t go have a good time and relax without all the crap !!

grumpy88

Reaction score
Kids ridding in camp bugs me . Take your kids on a ride or at least out of camp to watch them ride .

77charger

Reaction score
Dont forget the people that show up a few days after you and camp 25 feet away when there is a whole almost empty desert! Then the fuckers come over all mighty or real bitchy and tell you to turn your music off because their kids can't sleep. Had one guy park 20 feet away. Asked him to park further away and got defensive and ask where he should park. I pointed and said look at all that empty desert. Got bent out of shape and said I just wanted to park close so you can watch my stuff. I was like wtf? I don't watch anyone stuff and if you feel that way and park 20 feet from us at least come introduce yourself rather than load the family in the rail and take off without saying a word.
I feel same way if i pull near someones camp i cant complain about what they do.Same goes like you say if someone camps near me when its open they have no right to complain.Luckily at glamis or desert we park far away from others.

Shrub Lurker

Reaction score
I love the folks that show up with construction site Home Depot generators with long extension cords to set that noisy piece of shit next to me but further from them.
So much fun to shut the fuel valve off around 9:00 pm until they give up or want to fight. Good times.

Meaney77

Reaction score
Kids ridding in camp bugs me . Take your kids on a ride or at least out of camp to watch them ride .
X2 I am always paranoid they are going to become throttle jockeys and run into my motorhome or trailer. We have seen it happens a few times- I always get my kids away from camp, I dont want to be responsible for fixing someone else's shit.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I love the folks that show up with construction site Home Depot generators with long extension cords to set that noisy piece of shit next to me but further from them.
So much fun to shut the fuel valve off around 9:00 pm until they give up or want to fight. Good times.
A cup of sugar does wonders...

We have had the same scenario happen a few different times out at Dove Springs. Its like campfire entertainment.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I always enjoy the guy who shows up a day later than everyone else and complains when hes on the second row and not front and center.

grumpy88

Reaction score
X2 I am always paranoid they are going to become throttle jockeys and run into my motorhome or trailer. We have seen it happens a few times- I always get my kids away from camp, I dont want to be responsible for fixing someone else's shit.
Twice a kid has plowed trough our stuff and hit our trailer . I hate to discourage kids so we have always let it go but dam it irks me parents can't walk outside the circle to enjoy watching there kids ride

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I got 3 gen sets I won’t set up by u life is to short for u to get shot over crap like this ;)

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
You’re a dumb fuck I reread-what you said, your fucking generator on your RV makes as much noise as my fucking portable , I had a 52’ toy hauler and mine made just as much noise as a portable , enjoy your time on earth

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score

My kids ride on the outside of camp around the circle or venture out but still in site.
Our normal group is family and friends with kids the same age and skill level.
We do family rides as well during the day, but when drinking my morning coffee, my little one will ride on the outside of camp with a trash bag making sure she leaves the desert cleaner then when we arrived. No riding on the inside of camp if the rule.

grumpy88

Reaction score
My kids ride on the outside of camp around the circle or venture out but still in site.
Our normal group is family and friends with kids the same age and skill level.
We do family rides as well during the day, but when drinking my morning coffee, my little one will ride on the outside of camp with a trash bag making sure she leaves the desert cleaner then when we arrived. No riding on the inside of camp if the rule.
Nothing wrong with that at all ! Good job

Meaney77

Reaction score
when drinking my morning coffee, my little one will ride on the outside of camp with a trash bag making sure she leaves the desert cleaner then when we arrived.

Thats a great idea!!! I was always taught to try and leave the place better than when you arrived as well. I like that and may have to try and do the same.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Thats a great idea!!! I was always taught to try and leave the place better than when you arrived as well. I like that and may have to try and do the same.
Now if people would stop bringing wood with nails and quit throwing beer bottles in the fire we might get somewhere . Excellent lesson for everybody your teaching

gqchris

Reaction score

This shit is beyond irritating. Get the hell outta here!

I always feel people that do this are scared to be in the desert alone or something. Its so damn weird.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
We have a buddy that owns a compound out in Ocotillo. we have a pretty tight group. we set up an HOA where we all chip in to do improvements to the property as needed. The HOA fund has chased a few of the problem campers away. The only real concern is the Kids. they get clique-ish at times and then try and drag the parents in. I would say most of all we have a good thing and the drama stays to a minimum.

our group is more of a chosen family. in order to be invited in, one must be vouched for and the person doing the vouching is the same person responsible for removing their person if they become a problem.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Done the big groups with all the sub character types listed above.
Pretty much only other LE families or close neighbors now. Always keep to ourselves and go on non holiday weekends, or go to less traveled spots on holiday weekends. Makes for fun, quiet trips.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
We have a buddy that owns a compound out in Ocotillo. we have a pretty tight group. we set up an HOA where we all chip in to do improvements to the property as needed. The HOA fund has chased a few of the problem campers away. The only real concern is the Kids. they get clique-ish at times and then try and drag the parents in. I would say most of all we have a good thing and the drama stays to a minimum.

our group is more of a chosen family. in order to be invited in, one must be vouched for and the person doing the vouching is the same person responsible for removing their person if they become a problem.

3A63CFDB-8945-4090-ACFC-5927F7C0C2CC.jpeg
687022A4-82E7-437C-9769-DD6867BA3952.jpeg
5896B1F3-D8EE-4965-8077-7126ACED04B8.jpeg
5D9EAE4A-AF08-4B67-9631-44A94BC395A6.jpeg
2B465F52-B5ED-4873-AFA5-873C51FEA23E.jpeg
44EAB030-FEB1-4C5C-9F0C-C6484C35B9E6.jpeg
8975D9ED-698E-4A74-B4EF-D9615C6E3347.jpeg

Gelcoater

Reaction score
We have a Glamis group where everyone jives nicely and are happy drinkers. Right there to help when something grenades, always cooking and inviting everyone over, they pack more beers than they ever drink to give their friends drinks too.
One of my buddies sent me some pics tonight of last years trip.
He’s getting pumped.
In March for? I dunno? Several years now, he tugs his stuff from the Denver area to Glamis, CA.
Usually has to dig out of the snow to do it. Usually in 4low towing the hauler a good 250-350miles before see’ing...not snow,lol.
His kids have their choice of pretty much anywhere they want for Spring Break. They have family in Florida. Could easily opt for Florida and the whole sand, waves, warm and Disney route.
830595AA-7349-45A6-8022-4B3DAD6A0616.jpeg
A18CCC2F-3C40-4657-B723-18153108017A.jpeg
879334E4-0A90-4B05-810B-F9B56AB6AFFA.jpeg

They want to be on their 80s!!

Riding the dunes!

DLC

Reaction score

you guys are in a great spot far enough away but close enough to watch the action at night at blow sand!

my property is out off split Mtn road 2 miles down a side street. Really don’t see any LE,
BLM or Sherrif , it’s nice and quiet at night. On the busy weekend we load up a wash drum, cooler and head up to the ridge and watch from afar