WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Used Sand Rail value guide?

floatn turd

Reaction score
Howdy Peeps,

So, I'm kicking around the idea of buying a used rail.

Is there a "Kelly Blue Book" of Sand Rails and crap like that?
Or someplace that a first timer like me can get more info on the different manufactures that I may be be interested in?

Thank you

FT

wallnutz

Reaction score
There are a few builders that hold there value better than others. Tatum, Alumacraft, Racer and Funcos. It all depends on what you are looking for. V-8, V-6, Subaru. Transmissions have a lot to do with price too. There is enough guys on here that can help you if you post up what you are looking at.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
I would post up what your looking at and how you plan to use it. As stated there are a lot of peeps on the boards that live and breath all aspects of “sand rails”. :D

1. Howdy Peeps,
So, I'm kicking around the idea of buying a used rail.

Is there a "Kelly Blue Book" of Sand Rails and crap like that?
Or someplace that a first timer like me can get more info on the different manufactures that I may be be interested in?

Thank you

FT

floatn turd

Reaction score
It would be a Glamis rig.
I would want a V8 / long travel.

I have my eye on a 2003 by "Baja Shop" (I don't know if it has a name)
  • 2 seat, mid-engine
  • LS1 Crate Motor: 500 miles on it.
  • Heads are ported / polished.
  • Crank has been worked on.
  • Mega Sand Transmission. (He said something about it being custom and having 1 gear for the sand)
  • King Bypass Shocks
  • He said it's all "box welded" and strong as hell.

This would be my first rail.
So, I'm uneducated on the whole subject.
Any info would be helpful.

Thank you

FT

wallnutz

Reaction score
The Mega Sand tranny isn’t very desirable. The Baja shop did put out a few nice cars though. Post up some pictures or the ad.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

• 2 seat, mid-engine
  • Mega Sand Transmission. (He said something about it being custom and having 1 gear for the sand)
  • King Bypass Shocks

Thank you

FT

Baja Shop builds a bad ass stout chassis, not the prettiest for say but strong and great handling. However i agree the mega sand wasn’t the hot option and that car will not be the lightest. Post some pics, i have two buddies with BS cars and another with one of their truggy’s.

floatn turd

Reaction score
3fa2265682c0437aa9e27fb2edeeb3f4.jpg
9d0d72fb67d047d9881c8b6b2a9d4120.jpg
9971befcecc646f2b6463c42e837f49c.jpg
9d0d72fb67d047d9881c8b6b2a9d4120.jpg
c29edfbf9ab64384b5fd0f144b32786e.jpg
fdeb74254d374719b0551fa50666480f.jpg

jones performance

Reaction score
theres some really nice cars for sale out there right now. my car is a big heavy desert dynamics i built myself. it weighs 3400lbs. its a car that can handle baja shit. for a strictly sandcar id be looking at the lighter weight funcos with a subi, or a suspensions unlimited, or a scu. the power of v8's are awesome but the other parts needed to be reliable add up in cost and pounds.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score

• 2 seat, mid-engine
  • King Bypass Shocks

Thank you

FT
Hears how I read the motor.
"I blew it up, turned the crank and during a cheap rebuild, tried to add more power porting the heads.
I know nothing about modern rails other than in the sand, lighter is king.

Gelcoater

Reaction score

• 2 seat, mid-engine
  • King Bypass Shocks

Thank you

FT
Only one guys view...;)

What’s your Glamis life experience?

I have to assume you have been there, ridden quads, dirt bikes, etc.

Remember how you sort of graduated up through machines?

And, I guess I’m really old school. When someone says long travel, V8 car.. that’s not a “rail” to me?
A rail is light weight. The rail I learned to drive in was a VW mid engine two seat car. 95inch wheel base beam car.
At 18 years old if I put that car in a bad spot I could literally get out, pick up the front of the car and point it a different direction and drive out of it.
(Don’t tell my parents. It was their car;) )

No. It won’t roll the whoops like a new car.

I learned to pick a good line on an ATC 185;) or was it the brigs powered mini bike before it? :D

A simple beam car is a lot cheaper and easier start me thinks. A 950lb car has some merits.
But then I’m an old school thinker. So?
Good luck in your search. Thumbs up thingy here.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
As a counter point to my previous post. A bigger, heavier car does have its own merits.
04CDC3D1-5726-4332-81A1-693B590CFDDB.png

Not my car or kids, but I was there:)

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve seen that car a few times, if you can get it cheap enough to not worry about the trans i wouldn’t fear it. AJ builds bad ass cars, but factor in one of two options and the 2d will be the easiest.... new or freshly rebuilt your way and plenty strong 6500-7000$ or a PBS S4 for 14,000$ however will most definitely need a bit of fab work to get it in.

What is your budget and are you looking to stick 2 seat vs 4 and will it ever see the hardpack?
I do know of a turbo Honda 2 seat SCU for sale but it’s not cheap.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I’ve seen that car a few times, if you can get it cheap enough to not worry about the trans i wouldn’t fear it. AJ builds bad ass cars, but factor in one of two options and the 2d will be the easiest.... new or freshly rebuilt your way and plenty strong 6500-7000$ or a PBS S4 for 14,000$ however will most definitely need a bit of fab work to get it in.

What is your budget and are you looking to stick 2 seat vs 4 and will it ever see the hardpack?
I do know of a turbo Honda 2 seat SCU for sale but it’s not cheap.

Ok,
The story I got with this car:
It was built in 2003.
1 owner, older Gentleman who hurt his back years ago.
He has not been out many times with it and is now finally ready to sell.
He said the motor has 500 miles on it.
(I need to clarify, but I thought he said the whole car has 500 miles on it)

Does that loosely jive with what you saw / know of this thing?

Answers to your questions:
- My budget is $20K ish.
He's asking $20.
I was thinking I could show up with some cash and a white-claw. Maybe get it for $16 or 17K.

- I like 2 seaters, but not 100% opposed to 4.
- Maybe some Ocotillo dirt but who knows.
He said the car was built strong and could do open desert bashing if I wanted.

Thank you
FT

brgrcru

Reaction score
I think a good light car. For sand only , With a Honda , subi , or even a vw, just to get your feet wet.
A 2d or a vw box , with weddle gears. Is even okay , if it has not been used and abused to much.
Seems like a lot of good entry long travel cars are going for $15--30k
Beam to mid travel 10--15 k

Shit you might not like Playing in the sand and having sand in every orfice.
But I doubt that .
Get ready to spend more then on your boat for up keep

That's a nice car .i would not hesitate to hit him a lower.
People build high dollar cars , only to sell , for 1/2 or even less .

Don't for get to check out glamis dunes web site.

Groper

Reaction score
Baja Shop cars are built to take a beating it looks like this car is built with 1-3/4", the crate LS1 might put out 390-410hp, the Megasand installed in that car is interesting, to me it's seems they built the car from the top down instead of from the ground up with the choice of Tranny they used, I know BS built some rollers where customers would finish theirs cars.
I looked at one of their class 1 cars many years ago and would have picked it up, but the chassis was already powder coated :confused: and needed additional fab work.
If you can pick this car up for a song it might be worth it, there aren't too many mid-engine v8 cars for sale and a mid engine trany swap isn't the end of the world a rear engine can be a nightmare.
It all depends on what you want to pay $$$ :eek:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Probably get for cheap as it's just sitting in a parking structure not being used. Owner probably just wants it gone. Question is, does it work for you at a good price?

Foscheck

Reaction score
CF8BC582-22AF-41A1-ACB2-AB3A19911241.png
@Foscheck needs to post up his car and cost here.

I'm with Kevin, I like the turbo subi or Honda powered cars.

@jones performance isn't esco's car Honda powered?
Here’s my first car. 2007 Eco1 with an LS1 & a 2D trans. I bought it used for 25K. It was a solid car and ready to dune. I made a few enhancements, but more because I wanted to, not because I had to. Be patient, deals are out there. I drove to Phoenix for this one. As mentioned above, can’t go wrong with Honda or Subi either.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I would pass on Baja shop car. You will find the right deal for what you are looking for.

Mototrig

Reaction score
What a lot of people don't factor in is the maintenance cost of driving a sand rail. It's going to break or wear out, period. CV's, bushings, shocks, clutch, trans, tires, fuel systems ect. We have 6 LT rails in our group 5 with LS 2D's and 4S trans Car tech, sand limo, Funco and Suspensions unlimited to name a few. The V8 rails have bypass shocks, Funco on air bags. When purchased they were $28-37k each.

The most reliable was the Suby powered 2D trans 5 seater with Bypass shocks before he sold it. Now the most reliable is the Honda 3.2 powered and Pyramid bus trans in a Chenowth Explorer long travel reservoir shocks cost around $18k when purchased. It floats through the dunes. The bigger V8 rails ride like Cadillac's

Here's my point. If a V8 long travel rail is only $20k it would likely have a less than desirable transmission or shocks or both. My advice for you is with a $20k budget get into a 2 seat Honda or Suby powered rail with a built 002 trans. Me personally I'd be on the lookout for the Honda with a 2D trans. Underpowered motor for an overbuilt trans.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
What a lot of people don't factor in is the maintenance cost of driving a sand rail. It's going to break or wear out, period. CV's, bushings, shocks, clutch, trans, tires, fuel systems ect. We have 6 LT rails in our group 5 with LS 2D's and 4S trans Car tech, sand limo, Funco and Suspensions unlimited to name a few. The V8 rails have bypass shocks, Funco on air bags. When purchased they were $28-37k each.

The most reliable was the Suby powered 2D trans 5 seater with Bypass shocks before he sold it. Now the most reliable is the Honda 3.2 powered and Pyramid bus trans in a Chenowth Explorer long travel reservoir shocks cost around $18k when purchased. It floats through the dunes. The bigger V8 rails ride like Cadillac's

Here's my point. If a V8 long travel rail is only $20k it would likely have a less than desirable transmission or shocks or both. My advice for you is with a $20k budget get into a 2 seat Honda or Suby powered rail with a built 002 trans. Me personally I'd be on the lookout for the Honda with a 2D trans. Underpowered motor for an overbuilt trans.

Solid advise.

Me thinks you need to take @floatn turd out for a ride with your crew. You'll like him. He's a very cool dude. :cool:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Ok,
The story I got with this car:
It was built in 2003.
1 owner, older Gentleman who hurt his back years ago.
He has not been out many times with it and is now finally ready to sell.
He said the motor has 500 miles on it.
(I need to clarify, but I thought he said the whole car has 500 miles on it)

Does that loosely jive with what you saw / know of this thing?

Answers to your questions:
- My budget is $20K ish.
He's asking $20.
I was thinking I could show up with some cash and a white-claw. Maybe get it for $16 or 17K.

- I like 2 seaters, but not 100% opposed to 4.
- Maybe some Ocotillo dirt but who knows.
He said the car was built strong and could do open desert bashing if I wanted.

Thank you
FT
It was i believe their model car for a while. I’ve not seen it in person but I’ve seen it on i believe GD.com and somewhere else it immediately popped into my head with your photos.

If you can get it for 16-18 i would be on it like fly’s in shit but that’s me. If you can fab and wrench this car would be amazing to start and even if you pull that trans and sell then do a 2d you’ll be in great shape. It has everything but the big trans, for a fun little car.

Don’t let people get you set on smaller, the subi and Honda are a blast in the bowls etc however i get bored at 600hp in my car. And no Honda or Subi has that V8 sound.

if you aren’t a wrencher, I’d swing by Berts Mega Mall and join the SxS craze myself. I’d also rather have a SxS than a Subi or Honda myself, but opinions are like assholes!!!!!!!

racetrash

Reaction score
The Baja Shop builds nice cars, will do what you want, but I'm sorta biased as i was wiring there stuff when they were in Stanton. Bus boxes and 3.4 toyota motors. Pete

floatn turd

Reaction score
I appreciate all the advice that has been posted thus far.
As this would be my first off road toy besides my dirt bikes all info is welcomed.

I'm going to see what storage will run me, where I keep the boat.
Inside vs outside will dictate a flatbed or enclosed trailer.
$3K vs $7K for a trailer and storage fees per month will pretty much make or break the whole deal for me.

This is a 100% what the fuck am I buying this for purchase.
So, I have to wrap my head around the cost of it all.

I see and hear you big ballers blasting by during the night at Glamis.
While I'm sitting by the fire and thinking..... man that looks bad ass!!

I figure, I ain't gettn no younger.

If I go check this Baja out, I will post more pics and info.

Thank again guys

FT

77charger

Reaction score
I look at like this any 091 trans car less than 15k 2d trans possibly to 30k no more than 35 at most above that I'd look for s4 trans.

Lots of other factors
@Foscheck needs to post up his car and cost here.

I'm with Kevin, I like the turbo subi or Honda powered cars.

@jones performance isn't esco's car Honda powered?
Im strong on the honda cars make great power and cheap to replace if you somehow blow it up.Great engine package for a mid sized car,As for subi know a few who have them and they have all blown them up or had some issues with them within the last 3-4 years,Great engine til they blow but hey the center of gravity is lower.LOL.

I did a honda swap on my mid travel beam car about a 1550-1600 pound car now and it scoots ill stay ahead of an basic ls powered car down the drags at glamis now.i just wondered what took me so long to do it.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Water or sand, they are all just floating turds willing to suck up money. :D

Good luck in the search, learn and be patient. BTW you picked a terrible window to buy. July would have been better. :p

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
As this would be my first off road toy besides my dirt bikes all info is welcomed.

$3K vs $7K for a trailer and storage fees per month will pretty much make or break the whole deal for me.

Thank again guys

FT

Throw a paddle on that dirt bike and lets rock!!!

Icky

Reaction score
@manxman has a few cars for sale in your budget, check the classifieds

Icky

Reaction score
Also check glamisdunes just saw a few cars in that range as well

Mikes56

Reaction score
My Alumicraft is for sale if you're interested. It has a turboed, intercooled, 2.5 Subi, with a Mendeola 2D trans. It's a 4 seater and I have desert tires/wheels on it now, but it would come with paddles and smoothies with wheels. I want $20K firm for it.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My Alumicraft is for sale if you're interested. It has a turboed, intercooled, 2.5 Subi, with a Mendeola 2D trans. It's a 4 seater and I have desert tires/wheels on it now, but it would come with paddles and smoothies with wheels. I want $20K firm for it.

You know the rule...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Can you get the pics onto a laptop or desktop? It is easier if you have two screens. You literally just drag the photo from the picture folder into the reply box.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I can't figure out how to post pics. They're on my iPhone if anyone can help

If you do it on your phone, when you go to type a reply, there is a button under "Submit Reply" that says "Upload A File". Hit that and your iPhone will bring up a small menu that has two choices..."Take Photo or Video" and "Photo Library." Choose "Photo Library" and it will take you to your photos on your phone. Select which photo(s) you want to post and tap them. A check mark will appear on that photo to indicate it has been selected. Hit "Done" and the file(s) will be uploaded. Then next to the photo you have selected to upload, there are a few options..."Thumbnail", "Full Image", and "Delete." Hit "Full Image" so it will load in your post large enough for people to actually see it. Then type your text in your post as you normally would and hit "Submit Reply". Done.

DaveH

Reaction score
if this is your first car.......i defintiely agree with the thinking of getting a lighter weight car.

leaning to drive a heavy v8 car for a first timer will result in getting it buried which is NO FUN getting it out and more then normal broken parts.

a nice mid or long travel car with subi or honda is a great package, all around more fun and easier to drive....in the dunes anyway.

if you are going to use this other places then glamis, then i would consider the V8 car. but keeping wieght down in the sand keeps costs down and in many cases will out perform bigger heavoer cars in the dunes.

i say that owning both a V8 car and a light weight SU 5 link sandcar.

DaveH

Reaction score
i would take a serious look at something like this.

wallnutz

Reaction score

Thank again guys

FT
I have more butts than seats for this next trip or I would have you come out and take a ride in my Tatum with a Honda in it. It won’t beat anyone at the drags or hill but the smile factor in the dunes is where it shines. If everything lines up here soon it will be for sale too.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
An AC for 20, yea I’d go talk on this one before i dropped any cash anywhere else.

manxman

Reaction score
allot of inventory right now. You have allot of options to choose from. Stick with a descent brand name for good resale. Once you have the "bug", it wont be the only car you will own!! I'm on 47 or 48 right now (cant remember)

evantwheeler

Reaction score

This, everyday of the week. An Alumicraft holds resale value because of the name (and design). Both of the cars mentioned in this thread will be much, much, much better for you than the one you are looking at in the original ost. At least if you decide you don't want it, you likely won't have to sit on it for a year trying to sell it because its a no-name car. Granted, right now, the low 20's to mid 30's cars seem to be sitting for a long time because for similar money, you can sign and drive a SXS. It's definitely a buyers market for the entry level long travel sand cars at the moment. You'll put as much into a SXS in accessories as you will into maintenance of a sand car, but if you buy a $20k Alumicraft, pretty much guaranteed to sell it for what you bought it for until the economy tanks. If you buy a $30k SXS, the thing will depreciate fast. Not a knock on SXS, I own both a sand car and SXS, they each have their place.

floatn turd

Reaction score
I just looked, the Baja that I was looking at has just sold. (it sold in under a week)
But
I just found out that my boat storage place is closing. I have to find a new place in about 30 days.
So, the sand business is now put on hold.
I need to put out this fire, before I open a new can of worms.

Thank you for all the advice and I will slowly keep looking.

FT