WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Steve Torrence = Douchebag

nowski

Reaction score
Torrence is lucky his little temper tantrum didn’t cost his team the championship. I wonder what NHRA’s policy is on fighting, although calling that faggy face push fighting is debatable. Anyone remember when Doug Herbert snatched Clay Millican up by the throat? Now, that move was strong.

I'm just glad the NHRA allowed the championship to be settled on the racetrack where it belonged with Brittany and Steve meeting up in the next round. That move by the NHRA was the right move for both the fans and drivers IMO. I'm sure Steve will get an ear full from the NHRA after the awards ceremonies...

Steve is very lucky per the rules, pushing a guy in the face and raising a fist is unsportsmanlike that could have cost him a second championship. The fans in the stands definitely let him know what they thought when he was on his way back to the pits...

1.3.1 Participant Conduct

Participants at events are expected, at all times, to conduct themselves in a professional and non-disruptive manner consistent with good sportsmanship and NHRA’s role as a family-oriented sports organization with events suitable for attendance by all and, as to those events that are televised, suitable for unrestricted viewing by the general public. Any participant who, in the sole and absolute judgment of NHRA (1)verbally or physically threatens another person; (2) uses vulgar or derogatory language; (3) engages in UN-sportsman like conduct; (4) engages in conduct detrimental to the sport of racing; (5) otherwise creates a condition or circumstance that is unsafe, unfair, or out of order; (6) is not honest and truthful in his or her dealings with NHRA, including without limitation making a false statement or creating, submitting or using a false writing or document; or (7) otherwise violates any NHRA rule, regulation or agreement, shall have violated this rule regarding participant conduct. Any participant who NHRA believes to have a conflict of interest that does or may improperly affect fair competition shall be disqualified from participating to the extent necessary to avoid such conflict of interest. The scope of such a disqualification shall be determined in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.

oldschool

Reaction score
I'm just glad the NHRA allowed the championship to be settled on the racetrack where it belonged with Brittany and Steve meeting up in the next round. That move by the NHRA was the right move for both the fans and drivers IMO. I'm sure Steve will get an ear full from the NHRA after the awards ceremonies...

Steve is very lucky per the rules, pushing a guy in the face and raising a fist is unsportsmanlike that could have cost him a second championship. The fans in the stands definitely let him know what they thought when he was on his way back to the pits...

1.3.1 Participant Conduct

Participants at events are expected, at all times, to conduct themselves in a professional and non-disruptive manner consistent with good sportsmanship and NHRA’s role as a family-oriented sports organization with events suitable for attendance by all and, as to those events that are televised, suitable for unrestricted viewing by the general public. Any participant who, in the sole and absolute judgment of NHRA (1)verbally or physically threatens another person; (2) uses vulgar or derogatory language; (3) engages in UN-sportsman like conduct; (4) engages in conduct detrimental to the sport of racing; (5) otherwise creates a condition or circumstance that is unsafe, unfair, or out of order; (6) is not honest and truthful in his or her dealings with NHRA, including without limitation making a false statement or creating, submitting or using a false writing or document; or (7) otherwise violates any NHRA rule, regulation or agreement, shall have violated this rule regarding participant conduct. Any participant who NHRA believes to have a conflict of interest that does or may improperly affect fair competition shall be disqualified from participating to the extent necessary to avoid such conflict of interest. The scope of such a disqualification shall be determined in the sole and absolute discretion of NHRA.
Yes, I was there and the crowd definitely let him know. My take on those rules is he very easily could have been DQ’ed.

oldschool

Reaction score
The other douche move(IMHO) was Hight shutting off after the burnout. The only way he loses the championship is if he get a penalty for an oil down. So he pulls that stunt. I was on the fence directly in front off where the car dies and he got out, throwing the gloves down and the whole “It just died act” was a horrible job of acting. Now Beckman has to go out and make a pass with a car sitting in the other lane at 3/4 track, dangerous. NHRA needs to modify that rule somehow.

oldschool

Reaction score
Clay vs. Doug a Classic...

Side Note: I've put both of my kids through the B.R.A.K.E.S. Driving School. One of the best things I've ever done...

Both my girls did the course as well, great program.

nowski

Reaction score
The other douche move(IMHO) was Hight shutting off after the burnout. The only way he loses the championship is if he get a penalty for an oil down. So he pulls that stunt. I was on the fence directly in front off where the car dies and he got out, throwing the gloves down and the whole “It just died act” was a horrible job of acting. Now Beckman has to go out and make a pass with a car sitting in the other lane at 3/4 track, dangerous. NHRA needs to modify that rule somehow.

Listen to Fast Jack's response and that's why he's a Class Act...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they just run too much clutch, and leave lazy? Car starts to roll, blows of the tires? Still not a race, but nobody other than driver and crew would know. Still a good show with no "Reality TV" stuff.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Motel 6 to sponsor Torrence next year?

FB_IMG_1574056024257.jpg

ltbaney1

Reaction score
Cameron was the best man at my wedding and one of my best friends. known him going on 20 years now. he has sacrificed more than most anyone will ever know to get where he is in the sport. im proud of him for what he has done this season and even prouder of him for handling the situation like he did.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I wonder if Torrence will get booed at the awards banquet tonight..? That’s some crybaby shit right there...

I don’t think he did that on purpose, I saw his interview afterwards and he acknowledges the safety concern as well. There’s 100 different ways he could have thrown that run without shutting it off mid track....

oldschool

Reaction score
I wonder if Torrence will get booed at the awards banquet tonight..? That’s some crybaby shit right there...

I don’t think he did that on purpose, I saw his interview afterwards and he acknowledges the safety concern as well. There’s 100 different ways he could have thrown that run without shutting it off mid track....
Why would they do a 1/2 track burnout and then make a pass? The cars not setup to do that burnout. Only way for him to lose is a oil down, why now change the program. Plus, his acting was terrible, I was about 40 feet away. No doubt in my mind that was planned. Track official came over and talked to him and Hight was like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Force then came over and ripped the guys ass for 10 minutes.

Last edited:

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Why would they do a 1/2 track burnout and then make a pass? The cars not setup to do that burnout. Only way for him to lose is a oil down, why now change the program. Plus, his acting was terrible, I was about 40 feet away.
Exactly, he could have just staged it and never left the line. Or just motor it thru the lights. Or shut it off after 60’. A million ways to NOT oil down the track without shutting it off after the burnout then having to “act” like he didn’t do it on purpose...

4Waters

Reaction score
Clay vs. Doug a Classic...

Side Note: I've put both of my kids through the B.R.A.K.E.S. Driving School. One of the best things I've ever done...

I remember that staging duel, I love staging duels, staging duels come in second to a good pedal fest. I also remember when Doug's boys were killed:(

oldschool

Reaction score
Exactly, he could have just staged it and never left the line. Or just motor it thru the lights. Or shut it off after 60’. A million ways to NOT oil down the track without shutting it off after the burnout then having to “act” like he didn’t do it on purpose...
Whether they did or didn’t, they need to change that rule(oil down) in that situation. The fans are the ones that miss out.

77charger

Reaction score
And before anyone jumps all over me about being a pussy or whatever I’ve raced boats for several years and talk shit back and forth with the best of them, most of who are my good friends now, I’ve played more games on the rope than most can even imagine, that’s all part of the game but at the outramp it’s always a hand shake and a great job to the opponent, then a beer or 13 later with them
Hey now easy there blunder.

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I kind of doubt that Robert Hight shut the car off on purpose after the burnout. He could have done one of several things rather than leaving the car parked in the center of the lane at the 660' mark. He could have backed it up to the starting line and shut it off. He could have backed it up and made a full pull. He could have idled it down to the shut down area and pulled off the track. He could have at the very least pulled it to the guard rail and not left it in the center of the lane. And if JFR was really that concerned about the possibility of an oil down, they would have loaded the car in the trailer after the Semi Finals.

The dumbest thing out of that whole deal was Beckman being allowed to and deciding to do a full pull with Hight's car stopped in the center of the lane that far down the track. Beckman passed Hight's car at 279mph. Had something gone wrong and he hit that parked car that would be the end of the NHRA.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
So his penalty was announced as 25k and anger management classes.