WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When do you need an MSD

farmo83

Reaction score
So at what point do you start needing an MSD box? All the high end stuff runs them, however on stock applications they seem to just be something else that can break with no real benefit. Around where do you get to the point that you start needing to add MSD ?

Reactions: d4l

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
Good Question, My 454 Bravo 380 hp came with the MSD set up.
From what i have read they are not as dependable as a stock set up.
just my two cents

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Good Question, My 454 Bravo 380 hp came with the MSD set up.
From what i have read they are not as dependable as a stock set up.
just my two cents

MSD= Must Stay Dry.

1950's technology.
Multiple Sparks below 3000 rpm.
How often is your boat below 3K?
Helps with emissions and fuel mileage.
Above 3K, it's just a distributor. That can fail. A GM HEI is a lot more reliable.

Dan'l

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I have no stake in the game. I have over the years had at least 20 different high performance engines, from my door slammers to my super Comp dragster. To my 5 different bbc boats. Every one has had a MSD BOX. some with a stock distributor, some and like I have now with a modified MSD billet dist. I have NEVER had a ignition issue. “Knock on wood” I do run in my Daytona 2800 rpm a lot, gives me 40 mph, and that is a nice Cruze for us. I do carry, and am setup, with quick disconnects, a spare box.(that’s how I know mine will never fail). I think they work well, if you have fouled plugs, flooded engine, or various other things that some extra spark might get you going, I think that’s where the MSD might get you out of a jamb, and you didn’t even know it did. Because the damn thing started, and you where on your way. I also think it helps in high boost high rpm applications, your spark can and will get blown out, maybe a bunch of sparks instead of one can get the job done. The selectable soft touch limiters are a nice feature too.
MSD= My Spark Disappeared or
MSD= My Spark Dominates.

Pick your poison, stock applications, leave it stock, save your money for more 87 octane gas.

Maestro

Reaction score
Msd
Multiple spark over 30* of rotation at lower rpms
Solid spark over 30* or rotation at higher rpms.
I run them but as in all things they can fail.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So at what point do you start needing an MSD box? All the high end stuff runs them, however on stock applications they seem to just be something else that can break with no real benefit. Around where do you get to the point that you start needing to add MSD ?

Never.

Pertronix is a Much better product. Made in the USA, and the Ignitor 3 has the multi spark option.

Pertronix is the first option I add to Any engine build.

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
I too carry a spare MSD box in the boat. But I swapped the one on the motor out for a Daytona CD1 box. Supposed to be built much better. I wired it so I can still throw the MSD box on it if I need to.

pro tip: run the MSD capacitor in line with the power leads. Supposed to help clean up the power to the box and keep them from dying.

oldschool

Reaction score
I’ve been running the same MSD box for the last 15 years without a hitch.

wettrthebettr

Reaction score
I just found out why my MDS would not work, I thought it was because I left the key on to long Trouble shooting my Bennett tab leak when the coil blew up, but the real reason the box would not work because of faulty ignition Key Switch.
The ignition key Switch was only sending 9 volts to the MSD box while cranking and 10 sometimes 11 volts when just turned on.
After replacing the ignition key, now it delivers 12 volts, and 11 volts while cranking the engine.

77charger

Reaction score
On a race application yes on a rec lake boat id rather have a nicely done HEI or a pertronix set up,Something simple with less trouble and i really doubt you will notice a difference.

If your carberated and fouling plugs thinkin the msd will help you need to re jet it,etc

Nailhead

Reaction score
We’ve ran the full MSD on our circle boat and a standard Pertronix setup with just a coil. I’d go Pertronix or similar with out all the added electronic. HEI if it’s a Chevy, time it and leave it alone