WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Nice places to stay in San Diego?

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
So now that I've got a flight under my belt my wife and I have decided to get out and travel. At first we're just doing short little flights and will eventually build up to Hawaii and beyond.

We booked another trip to San Diego for the middle of November and want to stay close to the SAN airport so we don't have to deal with a rental car. What are the cool things to see and and cool places to stay (within reason $) in that area? Thanks.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Stay at the Sheraton on Harbor Island. It's walking distance to the airport but you can't hear it. There is C-Level and Island Prime about a 1/4 mile scenic walk on the island for great seafood, steaks and wine. The pool/jacuzzi at the hotel is cool. You are also a 2 minute Uber to Little Italy and spectacular food. San Diego native (and still a current resident) here so hit me up if you need more specific ideas on where to go.

SCV2RVR

Reaction score
Coronado Island is one our favorite places to visit and stay. Almost feels like you are on Catalina but only a short ferry ride or drive.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Stay at the Sheraton on Harbor Island. It's walking distance to the airport but you can't hear it. There is C-Level and Island Prime about a 1/4 mile scenic walk on the island for great seafood, steaks and wine. The pool/jacuzzi at the hotel is cool. You are also a 2 minute Uber to Little Italy and spectacular food. San Diego native (and still a current resident) here so hit me up if you need more specific ideas on where to go.

I agree on Harbor Island. Hilton or Sheraton are both good (we stayed at the Hilton right down the street on the Harbor Island last time) Use the Lime bikes to get everywhere in minutes from there. We even rode them to and from the airport with our luggage!!!!

Ride the bikes downtown to all the great restaurants and bars. Great tiki bar called The False Idol hidden downstairs inside and through another restaurant called Craft and Commerce. Cruise over to Shelter Island and check out the mid century hotel Humphreys and the cool famous restaurant the Bali Hai. There is a cool seafood place you can sit outside at with super great food called Mitch's Seafood. We did the walk through tour of the USS Midway which was incredible as well.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
Go check out Gaslamp district for sure. We love it down there. Go every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
I loved the Kona Kai when I stayed there a few years ago.

Taboma

Reaction score
Rent a car, get on the I-5 south and keep driving, disregard those pesky signs indicating you're leaving the USA (They're fake) and just keep driving.
When you run into some rather angry looking guys dress in military fatigues carrying M16s, smile and show em both middle fingers --- be sure to smile BIG. :p:p:p
When you've enjoyed enough of their hospitality, assuming you can still walk, hike back to the border and join a caravan of your future fellow voters. :rolleyes: :D

Xring01

Reaction score
Trust Me

Humphreys on the Bay, its a great place, with live bands in the bar on the weekends, and also has concerts through out the year. Amazing property, with several great restaurants within stumbling distance..
Miguels Mexican - gourmet Mexican food.. Calamari stuffed Chili Relleno is the bomb..
Pt Loma Seafood- fresh seafood, need I say more
Brigatine -

Other places to consider is Kona Kai, Bay Club, or Island Palms. All on Shelter Island....

You can uber all over very conveniently...

PM me if you want all the details

nameisbond

Reaction score
I like the Doubletree by Hilton. Get a cookie on check in. Its close to the airport.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Can't go wrong on shelter or harbor islands. Sometimes there is some good music at Humphrey's on Shelter.

Caught Sheryl Crow giving a show there once.

Joker

Reaction score
We just finished working on the Intercontinental off of Pacific and Broadway and the place is amazing. Stayed there 2 weeks ago in a corner suite facing the bay. You won't regret it.

GRADS

Reaction score
I really appreciate all the suggestions. I'm trying go through them one by one and check out the hotels and restaurants. I do have a question about the hotels....a lot them have marina views or bay/harbor views. Which one is better and why?

GRADS

Reaction score
Stay at the Sheraton on Harbor Island. It's walking distance to the airport but you can't hear it.
It looks like there are two Sheratons with 500' of each other? Or one is a bay tower and one is a marina tower?

GRADS

Reaction score
We just finished working on the Intercontinental off of Pacific and Broadway and the place is amazing. Stayed there 2 weeks ago in a corner suite facing the bay. You won't regret it.
Wow, this might be the ticket.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
This is for you if you want to walk the talk of true CA resident. Not a whinnying sissy that threatens to leave. Do worry about the weather SD weather is the best in all of CA

boatpi

Reaction score
You can’t be anywhere near Little Italy you walk everywhere the restaurants are fabulous it’s very unique. Check out there’s a couple of boutique hotels right in little Italy is like no other place in the West Coast

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Find a flight to vacaville. Dont leave the terminal.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I wouldn’t stay near the airport, but that’s just me. I’ve stayed/had my wedding at the Catamaran Resort and Spa which I obviously like a lot. When I feel like Gaslamp I stay at The US Grant or The Westgate.

GRADS

Reaction score
Get an Uber from the airport and stay at either the Manchester Grand Hyatt or next door at the Marriott Marquis [emoji106] Both have great views and are walking distance to the Gaslamp

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/c...n-diego/sanrs?src=corp_lclb_gmb_seo_nam_sanrs

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/tra...na/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I was looking at the Manchester Grand and it is definitely on our short list. Thanks.

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
I agree with staying away from Coronado Hotel. History is cool, however it's old, musty, and I spent $40 for the breakfast buffet. Was nice riding bikes around the island though.

DaBank

Reaction score
Greg,
I would stay on Harbor Island at the Sheraton. I kept my boat at the Marina behind the Sheraton and had full access all the hotel amenities. The planes you will not hear and I believe the airport has no flights after 10pm anyways. Uber (5min/$5) to Little Italy and enjoy the best of what downtown has to offer.
We sold the boat over a year ago and went back down to Little Italy for the weekend a month ago and had such a good time and are now looking for a new boat to have behind the Sheraton again at the Cabrillo Isle Marina.
Little Italy has been awesome the last 12 years and the changes that have happened in the past 2 years are awesome.
Go to Born and Raised. Go to the upstair/rooftop bar for pre dinner drinks and sunset and go downstairs for dinner.
The build out and finishings are bad ass. Trust me you will love it
https://bornandraisedsteak.com/

DaBank

Reaction score
It looks like there are two Sheratons with 500' of each other? Or one is a bay tower and one is a marina tower?
The Bay tower is the smaller hotel and both hotels are connected by the Marina boardwalk, I would stay at the larger property and it is closer to the airport. Both have free airport shuttles, do not rent a car and just Uber. The parking at the hotels are expensive (more than the rental) and parking in general sucks and with 1 way streets you end up parking 2 blocks away from where you are going. If you are just running around Little Italy, Gaslamp,Shelter Island, Point Loma you are $5 to $8 Uber ride away. Frank

GRADS

Reaction score
Walk over to Tijuana, don’t worry about bringing a passport, go to Revolution street stop in a Chuys, ask for Juanita. Trust me.
I've been to Tijuanna multiple times...seen some shit that can't be unseen. There was this one strip club that I went to where the chick came over and sat on my beer bottle, picked it up, grabbed my cigarette stuck it in her ass and somehow kept a cherry on it for the rest of her show.:eek: Gave them both back to me.

PlanB

Reaction score
I agree with staying away from Coronado Hotel. History is cool, however it's old, musty, and I spent $40 for the breakfast buffet. Was nice riding bikes around the island though.

Stayed there one Memorial weekend. I ordered two drinks at the pool bar and it was $58.00. It made the drinks at a Vegas pool seem cheap. I do like the Del though.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score

Marina Tower. I'm in Point Loma about 5 minutes from there. Let me know when you and the wife are going to be in town.

GRADS

Reaction score
So we rescheduled the trip for the first weekend in December and took your advice and booked at the Intercontinental. Got a room on the top floor (club level) facing the bay. The club level rooms offer free beer and wine all day....they're going to lose money.:D Thanks for the solid advice.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So we rescheduled the trip for the first weekend in December and took your advice and booked at the Intercontinental. Got a room on the top floor (club level) facing the bay. The club level rooms offer free beer and wine all day....they're going to lose money.:D Thanks for the solid advice.
Really?!
So.
If some scary, somewhat duck dynasty looking guy walks up and says...Hey Greg. Fuck Off.:)

:cool:

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Wow, Things have really changed in that section. That looks really Nice.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
So now that I've got a flight under my belt my wife and I have decided to get out and travel. At first we're just doing short little flights and will eventually build up to Hawaii and beyond.

We booked another trip to San Diego for the middle of November and want to stay close to the SAN airport so we don't have to deal with a rental car. What are the cool things to see and and cool places to stay (within reason $) in that area? Thanks.

Pm @riverroyal

He's got a ton of room and loves nor cal visitors...