WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kitchen knives

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Looking to buy a top notch set of knives, now that my kids are grown. Looking for lifetime free sharping too. What knife sets are you happy with that provide sharping?

HitIt

Reaction score
A good set of knives and lifetime sharpening are mutually exclusive. Get a good set of knives. Like 3 of them. Chefs, paring, and maybe a veggie knife like a Santoku. Take care of them and either learn to sharpen them or find someone that knows how to sharpen. Plan to spend ~ $300- $500 (or more) on those 3 knives and you will be set for the rest of your life. And be able to pass them on.

braindead

Reaction score
Free sharpening is for people who don't know how to keep the knives edge true.

Get a diamond sharpening steel and use it ritualistically before and after you're done cutting and u won't ever need to sharpen your knives again.

And never cut on metal or glass!

I bought a $9 12" long chefs knife when I started in the industry, that fucker showed up with no knife edge on it, just stamped steel! I took it out to pops bench grinder, made a couple amateur passes then took it to my grinding stone for 15 minutes, 19 years later the diamond steel is the only thing I've used to keep it sharp and will put it up against anyone's $200 knife

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We have Cutco knives and are happy with them.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Free sharpening is for people who don't know how to keep the knives edge true.

Get a diamond sharpening steel and use it ritualistically before and after you're done cutting and u won't ever need to sharpen your knives again.

And never cut on metal or glass!

I bought a $9 12" long chefs knife when I started in the industry, that fucker showed up with no knife edge on it, just stamped steel! I took it out to pops bench grinder, made a couple amateur passes then took it to my grinding stone for 15 minutes, 19 years later the diamond steel is the only thing I've used to keep it sharp and will put it up against anyone's $200 knife
Sharpening steels are for people who don't have Cutco's. :D

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
There are only two more primitive tools other than a knife. A sharp stick and a rock. o_O
Edit.. I forgot,, A Bone. :eek:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
This kinda long but…
When I was in elementary school a knife salesman comes to our house, gives my dad speel, puts a penny in jig or some kinda vice and makes a cut 3/4 of way around it like a lemon peel and hands it to me. I was completely amazed and my dad must've been too, cause he bought a set of these knives. Well 15 years later us kids are moved out so my parents decide to buy a new house and tell us kids to come take everything we want. So I load up some furniture and grab all silverware, knives, utensils etc to use for camping. Well that kitchen stuff stayed in box above garage for 20 years until 1 night I go to friends house for dinner and he another buddy just returned from home show and showing off their new badass knives, talking up quality and lifetime guarantee and made in America. I look at his steak knife and notice other than color of handle it looks just like the steak knives I used throughout childhood so I say "I think I have some of these in my garage, but never looked to see what brand." He says "yeah right, you're too cheap to buy Cutco's." So I run home, pull the box outta attic and sure enough a whole set of Cutco knives my dad bought in mid 70's. This whole time I'd been using cheap kitchen knives from wherever and didn't know what I had. The Cutco's were pretty dull especially the steak knives(doubt my parents ever had them sharpened) so I sent them in for free sharpening + cost of return shipping for whole set was like $11.00. Cutco called me back and said the knives were pretty used and color was out of production so they sent me whole new set of 8 steak knives in new color and also returned 5 of the old ones sharpened even though they replaced them. They also replaced a couple of larger slicing and chopping knives too. All the new knives were still made in America, came with lifetime sharpening and lifetime warranty. Pretty fucking cool to see good ol American company stand by their product 40 years later.
That's why I'm now CUTCO FOR LIFE.

The knife on the left is mid 1970's and other 4 are 2018. Can hardly tell the difference.
IMG_4242.jpg

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Carbide (diamond steel) is the only way to sharpen SS knives. Get a good edge on them and keep it by using a sharpening steel or ceramic rod. Never use the cutting edge of the knife to scrape across the cutting board, use the back side.

There are good knives at all prices if you learn how to keep an edge on them

beerrun

Reaction score
We have Buck kitchen knives. The best we have ever had. Not cheap

brownsuger

Reaction score
We have Cutco’s, full set rubs about $2300 with the counter block. Pretty impressive knives and the rep has come to our house to sharpen them.

I have Cutco knives as well.... very satisfied

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Cutco's are great, but most people are happy with a good set of Wusthof or J.A. Henckels.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I married a hot headed Iowa farm girl who could castrate a hog in two cuts. Never thought it was a good idea to have sharp knives in the house.:confused:
I dunno man.... Dull knives usually hurt more. Lol!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

squeezer

Reaction score
upload_2019-11-19_5-32-53.jpeg

Wustof in the block but the Shun’s are my goto’s The four pictured are what we use 99% of the time. The “ Sandwich Knife” isn’t a necessary item but I use it every day. Grab one knife that slices bread, cuts tomatoes, cuts cheese, and spreads mayo... The radius tip is the perfect match for a mayonnaise jar inner corner... (Not an accident)

Knowing how to sharpen is key, lots of ways to do it. Pick what works for you and be done.

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-19_5-32-53.png
    upload_2019-11-19_5-32-53.png
    936 KB · Views: 83

WYRD

Reaction score
We got a 5 knife cutco set from Costco. They are great. The carving knife cuts right through rotisserie chicken and Turkey bones/joints. They are about 3 years old and still very sharp. Probably can use a free sharpening soon. My favorite is the little paring knife.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Cutco's are great, but most people are happy with a good set of Wusthof or J.A. Henckels.

These are what I have. Easy to sharpen run over a steel about every other time I use and they stay sharp. I really care about the feel in my hand and these are the best feeling knives I have owned.

robert1050

Reaction score
Another vote for Cutco. Had them 4 years, a rep has been out once to sharpen.

Xring01

Reaction score
Shun Blue steel...

wow, I never thought I could like a knife this much.

super sharp, and they stay that way.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
A friend of mine was a Cutco door to door salesman. I ended up with the sales demo box and knives. They were around for many years. I still have the storage box. The butter spreader was my favorite. Cuts and spreads.

Daily use is Wusthofs. The wife loves Crate and Barrel. We gave each other one for Xmas for a few years til we built up a large set. The cleaver doesn't get much use. I thought it was cool, but it is overkill.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Ginsu.. you can cut a nail and still slice tomatoes with ease lol.

Wife likes her Cutco knives as well. We also have some Chef Works knives.

squeezer

Reaction score
Snip’. The cleaver doesn't get much use. I thought it was cool, but it is overkill.

We feed 15 or so co-workers of mine steak whenever they are in town... Grab two of the Costco fillets and do “Fillet 5 ways” ( Big Green Egg, Cast Iron Pan, Souvide, Propane Grill, Uni pizza oven) The cleaver is used to cut samples of each on a giant cutting board on the table. It’s 110% show as you can fork cut the steaks but it just feels great to wield it

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
fullsizeoutput_1697.jpeg
View attachment 820718
Looking to buy a top notch set of knives, now that my kids are grown. Looking for lifetime free sharping too. What knife sets are you happy with that provide sharping?
Kamikoto Knives is having a huge Black Friday sale on all of their knife sets. The wife bought the whole Cutco dealio, not impressed with their quality or the pricing. For cutting and chopping I prefer Bubba Blades.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
View attachment 817981

Wustof in the block but the Shun’s are my goto’s The four pictured are what we use 99% of the time. The “ Sandwich Knife” isn’t a necessary item but I use it every day. Grab one knife that slices bread, cuts tomatoes, cuts cheese, and spreads mayo... The radius tip is the perfect match for a mayonnaise jar inner corner... (Not an accident)

Knowing how to sharpen is key, lots of ways to do it. Pick what works for you and be done.

SHUN are the bomb for the price. We have a full set of Shuns, but our go to knives are now Town Cutler. He has a manufacturing facility right here in town. They run 300 to about 600 each but gosh darn they are good. We only have two so far because of the cost but will have a full set eventually.

https://towncutler.com/collections/all

But to the original poster @Angler , I would buy Shuns. For the money they are the best. We cook a ton at home and they are amazing. Sharpen only with a DMT whetstone style stone to keep them nice and sharp. Good luck!!!

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Global knives for me [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cobalt232

Reaction score
My father-in-law was a meat cutter for Albertsons for over 40 years. I don't know what kind of knives he had, but they were German steel. He is a frugal guy, but not for his knives. He would wear out a set of knives often.

He is always pissed when he visits as to the condition of our knives. I'm lazy and put them in the dishwasher. I think our knives are Whuthuf and when they are sharp, they are great.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My son sharpens knives. He's DAMM good at it. Wanna know what he bought me to use??

Some 5 dollar knives from some asian supermarket. He sharpened em up like razor blades, and they still cut like a razor blade, and that was six months ago!!!

I only cut on a soft plastic cutting board, store em not touching Anything. Hand wash them every time I use em.

It's more about how you care for your stuff, than what kinna stuff that you have. A good edge is a good edge, no matter what knife it's on.

squeezer

Reaction score
My son sharpens knives. He's DAMM good at it. Wanna know what he bought me to use??

Some 5 dollar knives from some asian supermarket. He sharpened em up like razor blades, and they still cut like a razor blade, and that was six months ago!!!

I only cut on a soft plastic cutting board, store em not touching Anything. Hand wash them every time I use em.

It's more about how you care for your stuff, than what kinna stuff that you have. A good edge is a good edge, no matter what knife it's on.

100% truth right here...

The only real difference between knives is how long they hold an edge.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
100% truth right here...

The only real difference between knives is how long they hold an edge.

And that depends on what your using them on as well...

My son caught me cutting cheese with em ONE time. I was told not to do that again or he would stop sharpening my knives permanently!!! lol

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
And that depends on what your using them on as well...

My son caught me cutting cheese with em ONE time. I was told not to do that again or he would stop sharpening my knives permanently!!! lol

I have to ask, why?
Cheese damages blades?

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes, a cheese wire is easier to cut with but what I was hoping for was a reason cheese is bad for a knife.
There's nothing abrasive in cheese (at least not in the kind I consume) so I don't understand why it's verboten.
Just curious is all.

I don't have like a pro tip about it, or anything like that. It will dull and edge though, I know that for sure. And I don't wanna get yelled at by my son again, he is Way bigger than me! lol

:p

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
We have Cutco’s, full set rubs about $2300 with the counter block. Pretty impressive knives and the rep has come to our house to sharpen them.
$2300 for knives? Holy Fuck.:eek: Unless I was Dexter, for that price I'd be buying another Smart Car before a set of knives....which I don't need.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
A cheap $5.00 pull thru sharpener can turn a cheap $10.00 knife into a $100.00 knife.... :rolleyes:

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

That's how I care for my Hattori Hanzo's. And I keep them outta site, peeps are willing to kill for one….

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
My meat is so tender you can cut that shit with a butter knife. Maybe you guys should step up your meat game instead of your knife game.