WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Son playing high school football

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Been 40 years for me. A couple of the coaches came back for our HS reunion last year and brought scrap books from when we played. :D
Funny... I pictured you more of a waterboy type.....you must have played with leather helmets and no face masks back in the day. :D

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I used to dream about riding dirt bikes with my kid... i watched wayyy to many friends get hurt doing that.. the faster you go, the more violent the crashes, and it doesnt matter how good you are... itll happen.

Yup. Unfortunately my son will probably never play football because of a concussion he had while riding a dirt bike. Head on collision with a 16yr old hot lapping it head on into my 6yr old. Bummer too because I played.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
Been 40 years for me. A couple of the coaches came back for our HS reunion last year and brought scrap books from when we played. :D

Were they admiring the work you did on their yearbook pictures?

Reactions: DWC

River Dirt 2

Brummett 21
Reaction score
Nothing like HS football, lots of life lessons are built out out on the football field.
My son will tell you best thing he's ever done to date. Even his Mom misses Friday Night Lights.
A little highlight video:
https://www.ncsasports.org/football.../arcadia/rio-hondo-prep-school/zachary-stiver

Sure fun to reminisce.

Zach Poly.JPG

CLdrinker

Reaction score
If you go to the coach and ask him to keep your baby safe word will get out. The team will give him endless shit for it. And frankly make him look like a real pussy.

Explain to him what CTE is and ask him if he is cool with eating through a straw sitting in a wheelchair shiting himself.

If he is ok with that then game on!

He could be doing worse things.

Tpltrbl303

Reaction score
My son played HS and at a JC. Got an offer to play at a Div 2 school after that, went to the fire academy instead. It was the best thing we ever did for him. The life lessons he learned are immeasurable.
523036041215748.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammer

Reaction score
So I have never been a huge fan of my son playing football. Kept him out of pop warner, and he played a little flag with his school. So this year he starts high school, and he asks if he can play football. Wife says NO, and I tell him i dont like it, and wish he wouldnt. Id love it, if he sticks to baseball, maybe cross country or track... He keeps asking, and I reluctantly ok it. Wife isnt happy, but I really want him to have the full high school experience. We explain to him that we would prefer he try for defense, where he at least is in a little more control of the hitting. So they go through freshman camp, and some hell week, and he ends up being the starting outside linebacker. So at this point, im kind of happy. Then after practice yesterday, his friend tells us that he is also going to be the backup half back, and is about 99% sure he will be returning kicks... Is it overstepping my bounds to tell the coach I do not want him returning kicks... I think this would really bum my kid out since he has been loving this... Its not like he is asking me to jump the canal or anything. :)

What experience have you guys had with high school football and how involved should i be?

Wayne

Let him play and enjoy playing ball with his friends. The safety and proper tackling technique has come a long way. Congrats to your son on earning the staring LB spot! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevesdcb

Reaction score
Played for 8 years, back in the day. My son just turned 21 & played for 10 years, just finished playing JC ball & it looks like he is done. I have coached youth football & HS. Today's conditioning, coaching, techniques, & equipment a far superior from the days I played. IMO, HS ball is good stuff. It's not always easy to make a team & play, takes a certain level of toughness, can be extremely competitive depending on level of competition, a lot of factors determine wether a kid plays or not. Football is a great teacher in life & creating a social status (respect) amongst ones peers. Stay involved, let the coaches coach, let your son compete w/o interference.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Yup. Unfortunately my son will probably never play football because of a concussion he had while riding a dirt bike. Head on collision with a 16yr old hot lapping it head on into my 6yr old. Bummer too because I played.
Sorry about your son's concussion. Don't beat yourself up about him not playing football.....there's lots of other team sports that he can have a great learning experience while playing.
And.......I give YOU a lot of credit for recognizing that one major concussion means that your son has to reduce the risk of having another one while he's young. Good Job.

Englewood

Reaction score
Your not an asshole coach are you?

Its about having fun. Coach can't protect shit so I don't know where you are coming up with that crap. Its also nothing like a job. Don't even compare it like that.

When I played every coach I had was a mother fucking asshole. They don't care about you. They only care about winning and imposing their will on you.

You know what is fun? WINNING! If all you care about is "fun", go to the waterpark.

You either allow him to buy into the program and commit 100% or don't. You can't run out and protect little johnny all of his life.

As far as being an asshole coach, to some, yes I am. I'm an asshole to the parent who doesn't spend 5 minutes with their kid at home but EXPECTS them to play shortstop or quarterback over the kid who has worked hard all offseason.

Englewood

Reaction score
my son came home the other day, and said we get in trouble like every practice.. i just smiled and told him to keep working... i hope he has fun, but there are definitely life lessons to take out of the game.

You are doing a great job by handling it that way. The life lesson from that conversation alone will help him later in life.

westair

Reaction score
Congrats on your son getting a starting linebacker position ….. tough position to get, especially without the pop warner.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I've got two son's in high school football right now. Let him experience it. You never know...he may be pretty good and it is a ton of fun to go to the games. His first year may see pretty limited playing time unless he is a standout player. I would not approach the coach. Talk to you kid and keep it between the two of you. If your son is a pretty good player, the coach will remember the conversation with you and possibly punish your son by not giving him any play time. That could crush his spirit.

wayniac

Reaction score
You know what is fun? WINNING! If all you care about is "fun", go to the waterpark.

You either allow him to buy into the program and commit 100% or don't. You can't run out and protect little johnny all of his life.

As far as being an asshole coach, to some, yes I am. I'm an asshole to the parent who doesn't spend 5 minutes with their kid at home but EXPECTS them to play shortstop or quarterback over the kid who has worked hard all offseason.

I am a big believer in winning is fun... At the first parent meeting, the coach said if your kids not playing, take a look at him.. maybe he has an attitude, maybe hes not working hard... this isnt rec sports, and we dont give positions away. I have never expected my kid to play base on talent... He has totally been willing to work, and asking me to work with him on becoming a football has been awesome. I learned a long time ago, that my son is coachable just not by me. I will help him in any way I can, but he has to ask. From baseball I have learned to never talk about a game right after unless he asks. Even then, I ask him first if he wants the answer from a parent or a coach, because he will get different answers. He also knows then that my coaching answers arent personal, and that im not disappointed in him. I may tell him that i am disappointed for him, but never of him if that makes sense...

So now that we determined that he is playing, are there any other precautions i should take.. We bought him a highly rated helmet. are any shoulder pads better than others? rib or back guards i need to look at? Eye shields??? gloves???

Thanks,

Wayne

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I am a big believer in winning is fun... At the first parent meeting, the coach said if your kids not playing, take a look at him.. maybe he has an attitude, maybe hes not working hard... this isnt rec sports, and we dont give positions away. I have never expected my kid to play base on talent... He has totally been willing to work, and asking me to work with him on becoming a football has been awesome. I learned a long time ago, that my son is coachable just not by me. I will help him in any way I can, but he has to ask. From baseball I have learned to never talk about a game right after unless he asks. Even then, I ask him first if he wants the answer from a parent or a coach, because he will get different answers. He also knows then that my coaching answers arent personal, and that im not disappointed in him. I may tell him that i am disappointed for him, but never of him if that makes sense...

So now that we determined that he is playing, are there any other precautions i should take.. We bought him a highly rated helmet. are any shoulder pads better than others? rib or back guards i need to look at? Eye shields??? gloves???

Thanks,

Wayne

Technique technique technique is your best safety precaution. When I was playing, I found that wearing bigger pads, rib guards etc etc just made me slower and more likely to get hit in the first place. Eye shields are more of a style thing that a lot of old school coaches and high school organizations don't allow without DR note. Hands will get torn up gloves or not, again a style and performance thing not a safety thing. Sticky gloves make catching a lot easier.

The only additional safety gear that I did was get my ankles taped by our trainer, and after I injured my knee I got a knee brace, after I injured my shoulder I got a shoulder wrap.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
its a mental game, Haines stressed mental toughness, we trained like there was no tomorrow, 3 a day in the first two weeks. Vista football had no "cut" the weak ones eliminated themselves, he'd work us till he had 48 willing and capable. a physically fit kit is a safe kid, and one that can still think effectively when the rest are fading. I wouldn't load him up with equipment you don't know he'll use, a great helmet, shoulder pads "spec for the position he'll be playing", best cleats you can buy. help him prep now, hydrate well before each day, if he's thirsty its to late. a gallon of water the day before is a good start.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
As others have said, football teaches team work more than any other sport IMHO. It can also teach humility better than anything second to golf. There will always be someone better than him in some manner or another.
As a coach, please let the coach do his job. With the amount of time we spend listening to, and entertaining parents requests, we could be teaching your child even more about the sport. By allowing him to play football, you are trusting the coach to protect him and put him in the best position to help the team as well as grow as an athlete.

Think of it like a job. Are you gonna call his boss and ask that he doesn't work in that department?

The best thing you can do is work with him outside of practice so that he is prepared for the possibility of playing that position.
X2. Stay out of it. Observe and ask your son questions about the team, coaches but do not interfere unless 100% necessary.
Yeah I'd have him tell the coach which positions he was willing to play, then you won't have to worry about it.
Yeah.... Don't do that. Football is a team sport. Selecting what he plays substantially reduces that teamwork and makes him a target for ridicule and being ostersised. It will make the sport less enjoyable for him.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Your not an asshole coach are you?

Its about having fun. Coach can't protect shit so I don't know where you are coming up with that crap. Its also nothing like a job. Don't even compare it like that.

When I played every coach I had was a mother fucking asshole. They don't care about you. They only care about winning and imposing their will on you.

Thanks,

Wayne
Technique technique technique is your best safety precaution. When I was playing, I found that wearing bigger pads, rib guards etc etc just made me slower and more likely to get hit in the first place. Eye shields are more of a style thing that a lot of old school coaches and high school organizations don't allow without DR note. Hands will get torn up gloves or not, again a style and performance thing not a safety thing. Sticky gloves make catching a lot easier.

The only additional safety gear that I did was get my ankles taped by our trainer, and after I injured my knee I got a knee brace, after I injured my shoulder I got a shoulder wrap.
Like AZKevin said, if he has any sensitive joints or pre-existing injuries in joints, get him GOOD braces for them. I had bad ankles (rolled both, one on my dirt bike and one running hurdles) so I got both taped and for practice I had a couple carbon fiber hinged braces that I'd wear to stabilize them. Also wore a knee brace from time to time. I also had a rib pad, but that was because I was a QB and taking a hit in the ribs during a throw REALLY sucks. Also, keep in mind, different positions use different types of shoulder pads. They are designed for the balance between protection and motion for the position needs

wayniac

Reaction score
So I just wanted to revisit this now that the season is over...

Thanks for everyone's stories and advice... ZERO regrets about letting my boy play. Beyond the game of football, he has made some really good friends, and without the opportunity to play that wouldn't have happened. It really has helped him start high school on a great note. I got to watch him go from being a lost kid that didnt know how to tackle to one of the team captains, and eventually pulled up to work with varsity for the playoffs. We did have one scare. He took a knee in the side and we were sent to childrens hospital from urgent care for tests to make sure his liver wasnt bleeding. Mom gave me death looks all night... While the season was rough (2-6) the good outweighed the bad by far. It turns out we only had about 5 kids that had played before, but you could see there were definitely some athletes. This team really pulled for each other, and I think my son is a better teammate because of this. He has been in private schools forever, so him seeing all of these other kids and schools has been eye opening for him. The last 2 games of the season they actually had him back to return kicks, but he never got the opportunity and that bummed him out. Everything was short or to the other side of the field. They also gave him the opportunity to go after punts and kicks for the last game and blocked a one of each. I also got to watch him run his first 5k with his team. The crazy kid finished 1st in age group, and 14th overall out of 1400 people... He still wants to play offense, so we will see what happens next season. Funny hearing him and his friends talk about the next few years of football together already... Watching the kid compete was awesome, but the 2 things I think I loved the most, was him coming to me to ask to run some drills or throw the ball around on weekends, and how cool is it to sit down with your son to go over game film at night... Go EAGLES!!!

jersey_night_1.JPG
camo2.jpg
camo1.jpg
20191003_230704.jpg
IMG_7072.JPG
IMG_7038.JPG

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So I just wanted to revisit this now that the season is over...

Thanks for everyone's stories and advice... ZERO regrets about letting my boy play. Beyond the game of football, he has made some really good friends, and without the opportunity to play that wouldn't have happened. It really has helped him start high school on a great note. I got to watch him go from being a lost kid that didnt know how to tackle to one of the team captains, and eventually pulled up to work with varsity for the playoffs. We did have one scare. He took a knee in the side and we were sent to childrens hospital from urgent care for tests to make sure his liver wasnt bleeding. Mom gave me death looks all night... While the season was rough (2-6) the good outweighed the bad by far. It turns out we only had about 5 kids that had played before, but you could see there were definitely some athletes. This team really pulled for each other, and I think my son is a better teammate because of this. He has been in private schools forever, so him seeing all of these other kids and schools has been eye opening for him. The last 2 games of the season they actually had him back to return kicks, but he never got the opportunity and that bummed him out. Everything was short or to the other side of the field. They also gave him the opportunity to go after punts and kicks for the last game and blocked a one of each. I also got to watch him run his first 5k with his team. The crazy kid finished 1st in age group, and 14th overall out of 1400 people... He still wants to play offense, so we will see what happens next season. Funny hearing him and his friends talk about the next few years of football together already... Watching the kid compete was awesome, but the 2 things I think I loved the most, was him coming to me to ask to run some drills or throw the ball around on weekends, and how cool is it to sit down with your son to go over game film at night... Go EAGLES!!!

View attachment 818107 View attachment 818109 View attachment 818110 View attachment 818112 View attachment 818114 View attachment 818115
That is awesome! He will thank both of you for allowing him to play for the rest of his life.

Moving forward, one thing to keep in mind is the kids, speed of play, and level of play all increase drastically from level to level. But, your son should be as well. The impacts will be more frequent and stronger, but your son should be too. This is why it is important to NOT skimp on conditioning. And along with the muscles, keep the JOINTS strong as well. I was lucky to have a couple Kinesiology majors in my HS program that made sure we were doing rubber band exercises to keep the small joint muscles in shape as well.

brownsuger

Reaction score
Okay.... I played in HS and coached HS FB for 21 years.... IMO, one of the best sports to have a kid play. The ultimate TEAM sport.... Any kid in HS can contribute if he works hard regardless of skill level.

I got out 3 years ago because of parents and administrators....

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
This is great! I didn't play in High School because Mom didn't want me to get hurt, I could have pushed past it and Dad would have supported but I was a bigger base ball fan, I regret it to this day. Fast forward to my youngest son and he ends up playing 4 years of football and bails on base ball. I think the football program was awesome for him and he will benefit for years to come. He is 18 and I pushed him into coaching a friends son's Friday Night Lights team in Los Alamitos. It was a blast to see him leading these little guys, if he had not played in High School no way he would have coached and the leadership skills will be forever. I was a very proud Dad and the worst parent on the sideline :) My Daughter was his assistant coach, it really was fun to watch.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Let him. I dont know shit about how high school sports work but....if you have a chance buy the best helmet you can. If thats a option.
My kids grew up on dirt bikes and skate boards, no less dangerous.

wayniac

Reaction score
That is awesome! He will thank both of you for allowing him to play for the rest of his life.

Moving forward, one thing to keep in mind is the kids, speed of play, and level of play all increase drastically from level to level. But, your son should be as well. The impacts will be more frequent and stronger, but your son should be too. This is why it is important to NOT skimp on conditioning. And along with the muscles, keep the JOINTS strong as well. I was lucky to have a couple Kinesiology majors in my HS program that made sure we were doing rubber band exercises to keep the small joint muscles in shape as well.

It sounds like the boys try to keep themselves accountable too. The Varsity JRs actually called a team meeting yesterday at lunch specifically to talk about the offseason, and tell the freshie's not to be scared of moving up to possibly varsity next year.. work this offseason. Get better... I thought that was pretty awesome. Was there anything specific you recall working on? He is moving on to baseball workouts now. Winterball meeting at lunch today, gym after school... It just doesnt stop does it...

This is great! I didn't play in High School because Mom didn't want me to get hurt, I could have pushed past it and Dad would have supported but I was a bigger base ball fan, I regret it to this day. Fast forward to my youngest son and he ends up playing 4 years of football and bails on base ball. I think the football program was awesome for him and he will benefit for years to come. He is 18 and I pushed him into coaching a friends son's Friday Night Lights team in Los Alamitos. It was a blast to see him leading these little guys, if he had not played in High School no way he would have coached and the leadership skills will be forever. I was a very proud Dad and the worst parent on the sideline :) My Daughter was his assistant coach, it really was fun to watch.

Totally giving the wife a hard time about being that parent in 2 years... she can get pretty intense... Funny, I regret not playing too now. We are definitely bigger baseball fans too... I would be totally bummed if he wanted to quit that... Poor kid is going to have be an assistant coach to me when he has some of his own...

Let him. I dont know shit about how high school sports work but....if you have a chance buy the best helmet you can. If thats a option.
My kids grew up on dirt bikes and skate boards, no less dangerous.

Absolutely on helmet. I grew up on dirt bikes, bicycles and skateboards, and wouldn't change it for the world... Im actually glad my boy doesnt ride dirtbikes... The better you get, the more dangerous it becomes...

Wayne

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
It sounds like the boys try to keep themselves accountable too. The Varsity JRs actually called a team meeting yesterday at lunch specifically to talk about the offseason, and tell the freshie's not to be scared of moving up to possibly varsity next year.. work this offseason. Get better... I thought that was pretty awesome. Was there anything specific you recall working on? He is moving on to baseball workouts now. Winterball meeting at lunch today, gym after school... It just doesnt stop does it...

Totally giving the wife a hard time about being that parent in 2 years... she can get pretty intense... Funny, I regret not playing too now. We are definitely bigger baseball fans too... I would be totally bummed if he wanted to quit that... Poor kid is going to have be an assistant coach to me when he has some of his own...

Absolutely on helmet. I grew up on dirt bikes, bicycles and skateboards, and wouldn't change it for the world... Im actually glad my boy doesnt ride dirtbikes... The better you get, the more dangerous it becomes...

Wayne
It's a well coached team if they are holding meetings to encourage the underclassmen.

I'm a bit different in that regard with training. I was diagnosed with lose joint syndrome. Essentially its exactly as it sounds. My joints are pretty easy to injure without lots of rubber band exercises as my tendons are essentially stretched (my shoulder will pop out of place just holding something from time to time).