WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Kitchen knives

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Yea, i am still not hearing anything about why Cheese is so hard on knives. A wire is better but that is assuming you have one of the right size handy.

2Driver

Reaction score
My parents bought a set of Costco 40 years ago. When they passed it was one of the things I kept.

They are still better than anything we have and they haven’t been sharpened -ever. They offer free sharpening for life I believe. I’ll be carving the turkey with it here shortly

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Unless you're a chef, I don't get the draw of a bunch of knives you'll never use.
10" Chef Knife
8" Chef Knife-For the wife, but not necessarily needed
5" Chef Knife-More of a utility knife
12" Granton
10 1/4" Bread Knife
Good kitchen shears
Honing Rod
Set of steak knives

My Victorinox knives have been solid, as have my Henckels steak knives. I hone before every session and try to get them sharpened once a year at the swapmeet. Easy.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Free sharpening is for people who don't know how to keep the knives edge true.

Get a diamond sharpening steel and use it ritualistically before and after you're done cutting and u won't ever need to sharpen your knives again.

And never cut on metal or glass! or CARDBOARD

I bought a $9 12" long chefs knife when I started in the industry, that fucker showed up with no knife edge on it, just stamped steel! I took it out to pops bench grinder, made a couple amateur passes then took it to my grinding stone for 15 minutes, 19 years later the diamond steel is the only thing I've used to keep it sharp and will put it up against anyone's $200 knife

FIXED IT

bonesfab

Reaction score
Glad I am not the only crazy one that bought Cutco’s. Love them. Actually just bought the silverware to go with them.

2Driver

Reaction score
Glad I am not the only crazy one that bought Cutco’s. Love them. Actually just bought the silverware to go with them.

The steak knives are great. They cost reduced the handles, the ones I had were full length blades through the handle with pins in the handle. The new ones look cheap but cut just as well.

Last edited:

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I learned the hard way about cutting cardboard.

My Dad was a butcher and had a meatshop at the house. He had this big butchers knife he used to break down beef and often slice steaks. Sharp and expensive. I had a big cardboard box I was gonna turn into a "fort". Grabbed that big knife and cut the windows and door.....The cardboard made the edge get all wavy. Thigs went down hill from there for me.:eek::(

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I learned the hard way about cutting cardboard.

My Dad was a butcher and had a meatshop at the house. He had this big butchers knife he used to break down beef and often slice steaks. Sharp and expensive. I had a big cardboard box I was gonna turn into a "fort". Grabbed that big knife and cut the windows and door.....The cardboard made the edge get all wavy. Thigs went down hill from there for me.:eek::(

it’s ok, we’ve all done something stupid that went downhill with dad.
I was 4 years old and thought I’d help pops by filling Up his gas tank with the hose next to it. It sucked, pops had to drain all the fuel mixed with water. Never did that shit again.

nordic454

WWW.METALWORXLV.COM
Reaction score
My go to’s are my Wustof Grand Prix ii, with a few customs thrown in for good measure.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
00ACA3D9-9D29-4453-BF27-220A108FF447.jpeg
Picked up these Fujimoto Mashiji carbon steel knives this week. Haven’t used them much but they seem promising. It’s a huge jump forward from the junk I’ve been using.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I like Sabatier.
Sharpen with a cheap o Walmart kitchen isle sharpener.
Wash them separately by hand, then dry and oil with Pam.

You ever imagine RD killing you with one?

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I have to ask, why?
Cheese damages blades?
It doesn't. It's an old husbands tale/Urban Legend. :rolleyes: Think about it, we whittle wood with a knife, but can't cut cheese with out damaging it? o_O
It's the way a knife is used while cutting cheese that dulls/damages the blade, like hitting the cutting board with additional pressure used to cut thru cheese with a high drag resistance or dragging the blade sideways across surface to direct the cheese into a nice pile, etc… These are things that damage the edge, not the cheese. Some cheese's are hard, some soft, so different blades or a low drag cheese wire maybe in order if you want to keep the appearance of the cheese cuts looking nice.:cool:
BTW If Cheese is damaging your knife, you need a better knife.:D

aka619er

That Guy.....
Reaction score
We enjoy our Wustoff Classics. Have the 36 piece set that I remember being around $2000+/-. With only 4 of us they will outlast me that's for sure.

Had Cutcos when growing up. Always hated them as they just felt cheap and thought my parents got ripped off. Remember them offering them to me when I moved out on my own and I passed.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
I have a cheap Faberware set (about $60) but I am very good at putting an edge on knives so a couple times a year I grab the 3 most used knives in the set and spend a few minutes on the Arkansas wet stone. When I'm done you can shave with them. There is no point in buying a super quality set because the wife doesn't have the same respect for knives that I do.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't. It's an old husbands tale/Urban Legend. :rolleyes: Think about it, we whittle wood with a knife, but can't cut cheese with out damaging it? o_O
It's the way a knife is used while cutting cheese that dulls/damages the blade, like hitting the cutting board with additional pressure used to cut thru cheese with a high drag resistance or dragging the blade sideways across surface to direct the cheese into a nice pile, etc… These are things that damage the edge, not the cheese. Some cheese's are hard, some soft, so different blades or a low drag cheese wire maybe in order if you want to keep the appearance of the cheese cuts looking nice.:cool:
BTW If Cheese is damaging your knife, you need a better knife.:D

Stop it...

You're not gonna go whittle on a piece of wood with your expensive knives! lol Nobody would, that's silly. I use my Benchmade for that. :p

I'm a cheap ass, the best knives I have are Hinkles. So I just use em for meat and vegetables. They stay plenty sharp that way. ;)

Singleton

Reaction score
I picked up the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S 7-piece Knife back in 2004.
They have been going strong since. Have added a few additional knifes over the years (mostly pampered chef stuff my wife gets for free via parties she hosts).

My knifes get professional serviced annually and touched up at home as needed

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Stop it...

You're not gonna go whittle on a piece of wood with your expensive knives! lol Nobody would, that's silly. I use my Benchmade for that. :p

I'm a cheap ass, the best knives I have are Hinkles. So I just use em for meat and vegetables. They stay plenty sharp that way. ;)
Of course not, and your not gonna ruin your expensive knives whittling on a piece of cheese either. That would be silly.;)

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
I have a Bob Kramer, now, let me preface that, custom Bob Kramer knives are over $300 an inch usually, this is him partnered up with Zwilling for a stainless steel hybrid. I use wetstones to sharpen and am getting better at it, it is an art, and more difficult on SS as compared with Japanese Blue or other traditional alloys. I don't think you could go wrong with a set of shun or equivalent, and depending on where you purchase them, they typically include sharpening, Sur La Table, any of the mall stores, etc.

Youtube Bob Kramer to see the craftsman at work, a dying skill, and incredibly rare in the states.

My chef knife (and my kustom cutting boards :))
cuttingboardkarate.jpg
cuttingboardThrones.jpg
knife.jpg
knife2.jpg
:

Last edited:

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Ended up picking up a 21 piece set of Cutco at Costco today. I really thought it would have been more than $1200. Same set on Amazon for $1800.

Last edited: