WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Radius Arms - Canned Ham

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
what is the setup on these? Two in tension and middle in compression? Or?

2640126C-2DD0-464C-BA1E-229F80FF0CE5.jpeg

I’m gonna have to do some ninja shit tonight or tomorrow on the can am. That middle one is looser than the rest and the nut that holds it in place is loose..

Unfortunately that nut is in there..

image.jpg

Which happens to be attached too

image.jpg

Which happens to be one giant solid piece that..

image.jpg

There isn’t a wrench I am aware of that is gonna do the task. So option 1 is take the whole freakin car apart to get the cage off of it.. or option 2 is make a wrench.

I designed one in my head and I’m going to machine it later tonight or tomorrow morning so I can tighten the nut.

All that said this one seems to be much looser than the other ones in its current position so it probably needs to go one way or the other. So compression or tension? How much? What’s the proper setup on these?

EBT531

Reaction score
I'd call the place that put it together and ask. Might want to let them know their design is pretty poor as these could need adjustment etc. in the future. They may have a trick for you vs taking it all apart?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I'd call the place that put it together and ask. Might want to let them know their design is pretty poor as these could need adjustment etc. in the future. They may have a trick for you vs taking it all apart?

There’s no trick here.. lol. That shit is all welded together and one piece mounted on studs.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Before you guys go banging on the builder etc.. Jimbo said he’d take care of it and absolutely stands behind his work. Said I can bring it back or take it to a shop here and he would handle the bill.

That all said I know what it’s gonna take to tighten one stupid nut. I have the ability to machine a wrench that will fit in there pretty quickly so I am choosing to do that as opposed to take the whole car apart.

Last edited:

EBT531

Reaction score
Before you guys go banging on the builder etc.. Jimbo said he’d take care of it and absolutely stands behind his work. Said I can bring it back or take it to a shop here and he would handle the bill.

That all said I know what it’s gonna take to tighten one stupid but. I have the ability to machine a wrench that will fit in there pretty quickly so I am choosing to do that as opposed to take the whole car apart.

Don't forget the locktite! The arms on my Jeep loosened up a couple of times as it broke in. I'd hate to see you having to do this multiple times.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Don't forget the locktite! The arms on my Jeep loosened up a couple of times as it broke in. I'd hate to see you having to do this multiple times.

Well once ya got the wrench it wouldn’t be a big deal. Lol.

I’m thinking about making them and selling them to shops that run into this problem.. (seriously). All these scorpion style cages look cool but god damn if you ever need to tighten that but or get in there it’s a serious freakin problem. Knowing what I know now I would have made the rear part removable.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
01FDB9AE-3CDA-4173-A362-736D3A150856.jpeg

Do you think something like this may work? You may have to grind the opening for it to fit. Hey also make them in 1/2 drive.

c_land

Reaction score
could you pull it from the outer and turn the whole radius rod to get it tight? compensate for the length on the other end?

Might mess with some people's OCD, but I've seen some seriously worse mickey moused shit that held up forever lol

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
could you pull it from the outer and turn the whole radius rod to get it tight? compensate for the length on the other end?

Might mess with some people's OCD, but I've seen some seriously worse mickey moused shit that held up forever lol

Yeah I’m not doing that.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
oh geez, I sure hope there is a way to get in there without having to remove rear bumper, spare tire, cage. If it broke in the desert, how can it be fixed or replaced?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
View attachment 818964 Now if only some genius made a better mount to weld those tubes to..... wait a minute....

Yeah another half inch of clearance and you could get a crows foot in there to some degree.

Can’t really see the sides of that one but it looks pretty thin?

Either way this problem is a lot more simple than most think it is. When ya see the solution you are gonna say “oh.”

79 HUSTLER

Reaction score
Yeah another half inch of clearance and you could get a crows foot in there to some degree.

Can’t really see the sides of that one but it looks pretty thin?

Either way this problem is a lot more simple than most think it is. When ya see the solution you are gonna say “oh.”
Can’t see the sides but it looks thin??? Ok. It’s .200 plenty thick. Ha.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
oh geez, I sure hope there is a way to get in there without having to remove rear bumper, spare tire, cage. If it broke in the desert, how can it be fixed or replaced?

If you had the parts I suppose you could just run the upper and lower and not worry about it to go home.

That said I can’t really see a scenario where you’d break the middle one without really hurting the car.

Last edited:

buck35

Reaction score
That There is an injuneering marvel:eek: or is installed backwards burying the adjuster.

chvynhra

Reaction score
Why not just unbolt the link, remove it and tighten the jam nut off the car?

fmo24

Reaction score
How about a ratcheting dog bone.
(Box end)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
By the way I looked up the answer on the web and it basically said “make them the same length as factory”.

Ok?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
It is just a tie rod, remove it from the outer side, then spin the assault bar off the heim. Once you do you can access the jam nut with your fingers, yes it’ll take a few times but adjust and tighten to the rod then reattach at the hub.

Realistically you don’t have to have both jam nuts tight you just have to have one side tight. One is a left other is a right hand thread so the whole shaft has to turn to do anything. So if just the outside is tight it won’t go anywhere at all.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Why are you wasting your time with all of this Dave? Remove the radius rod (might need to remove 2 to get it out), tighten the jam nut and put it back in.

Absolute worst case, remove all three inner radius rod bolts slide that rear corner outward, pop the axle out of the trans and remove the sway bar end link.

That can be fixed quicker than you can make the tool.

FWIW this is why I dislike that style of cage.. Makes it huge ordeal to work on the rear suspension/rear of the car especially in the field.

Last edited:

jones performance

Reaction score
It is just a tie rod, remove it from the outer side, then spin the assault bar off the heim. Once you do you can access the jam nut with your fingers, yes it’ll take a few times but adjust and tighten to the rod then reattach at the hub.

Realistically you don’t have to have both jam nuts tight you just have to have one side tight. One is a left other is a right hand thread so the whole shaft has to turn to do anything. So if just the outside is tight it won’t go anywhere at all.

unless assault has changed their design the threads are rh on both ends which means you gotta atake the whole fucking thing apart to adjust toe and camber.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
unless assault has changed their design the threads are rh on both ends which means you gotta atake the whole fucking thing apart to adjust toe and camber.
Are you Fking for real? Who would do that? That means no actual room for adjustment. And now i remember why these are considered just big golf carts.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
What does the Center Radius Rod do? Is it just a failsafe if the Upper or Lower Rod fail? Curious minds want to know, lol. :D

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure anyone that has ever built something from Ikea and retained the fuckery they call tools to build it will have something that will get the job done.

RaceTec

Reaction score
I was going to say similar to 02, remove it from the outside, spin the bar off, back the nut off a couple turns lock tight it. Put the nut back in position on the lock tight, let it harden. Then reinstall the bar tight against the nut and adjust the length on the outside... No special wrench or removal needed...

Mike Honcho

Reaction score
Maybe i am missing something but could you unbolt the outer heim after finger tightening the inner jam drop some Locktite and turn the assault rod to tighten up on the inner jam and then screw out the outer heim to how ever much it took to tighten the inner and re-bolt it back up?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
No shit??

I'd LOL if that was the case, but for non racers, they are pretty much "set and forget", so I would not be surprised.

My Super ATV rods are L and R threaded, and the rod is even marked on the R threaded side.

Nice hitch cover.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Pretty much what LOF said. The middle link is just there to get around Polaris' patent and doesn't do much anyways.

I don't own a Can Am but you can pretty much run without the middle one, right?