WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do you prefer for Thanksgiving dinner?

4Waters

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of turkey, to dry for me, I usually only have 1 slice. I would much rather have a smoked brisket or prime rib, but since I don't do the cooking and my inlaws are very traditional and old school we have turkey.

What do you inmates have instead of turkey or if you're in my boat what would you prefer?

BlowMe

Reaction score
Budweiser and a bj lol My family lives in florida so always just go to the bars on Thanksgiving and Christmas. So whatever they have to eat at the bars that's what i get.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I am getting a turkey and prime rib this year. Albertsons is cooking for me. did their food a couple years ago and it was good.

DWC

Reaction score
I’d go with a ham or even bring a steak and cook it right before they eat. We do the steak for my brother who doesn’t like Prime Rib.

jetur

Reaction score
Prime rib or Honey baked Ham. Got the order in for the ham this year.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
haha cant blame the turkey, its almost always the chef. A good 24 hr brine does wonders too, I also will usually do a creole spice and butter injections all over it.

This works great too if you have planned ahead lol.

Singleton

Reaction score
My wife does not do turkey, so we usually do prime rib roast, or some ribeyes.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
I usually bbq/smoke a turkey every year. Succotash is mandatory, as is volumes of gravy. Potatos don't come in a box.

Dan'l

Backlash

Reaction score
Best Thanksgiving meal EVER is a big shrimp boil! We call it Beaufort Stew (As in Beaufort, SC), but it's basically a giant turkey frying pot filled with corn on the cob, red potatoes, onions, sausage and a ton of shrimp. :cool:

wallnutz

Reaction score
We did our official Tday dinner last night since we all disperse around the country next week. Deep fried two turkeys, smoked mashed potatoes, green bean casserole sweet potatoes with a marshmallow topping. Homemade rolls and some other stuff. I can’t remember.Feel like a gained 10 lbs.
We will smoke one on Thursday and probably do more smoked potatoes and smoked Mac & cheese.

ridebig

Reaction score
Anyone ever have goose? I’m thinking of trying one this year.

sintax

Reaction score
Anyone ever have goose? I’m thinking of trying one this year.

not for thanksgiving, but I've thought about doing one for Christmas, but just have not gotten around to it. Came close last year, but ended up getting like 10 lbs of king crab from costco instead. It was insane.

nameisbond

Reaction score
The thing I like about doing both prime rib and turkey. There is always a ton of leftover turkey. I make enchiladas using turkey, instead of chicken. Only way I like turkey.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
For a long time it was Turkey on Tday and Ham at Xmas, but we started switchin Prime Rib into the rotation, it was fun till I suddenly became single again lol

Now I get to go to friends houses and I have whatever they are servin! Usually traditional Turkey with all the fixings, drippings gravy, homemade mashed taters, green bean onion casserole, yams, stuffing and dressing (it's fucked, everyone I know loves stuffing, we fight over it haha there is only so much!) and of course the King's Hawaiian Rolls!!

Desserts are awesome, pumpkin pie, cheesecake, apple pie, if I can talk my ex into it making deviled eggs and pumpkin cheesecake....she still makes the best I've ever had.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Well of course I prefer Rib-eye or prime rib, but it's Thanksgiving, so I'm okay with turkey, but it's got to be the dark meat. I'm partial to Cornbread dressing and eat just about everything that is traditional, but you can keep the cranberries.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My favorite turkey is deep fried. I usually prefer the dark meat or white meat with plenty of gravy.
Most times there's a spiral ham on table too.
Turkey is great to help the vegetative state after supper. Awesome head straight back in the recliner snoring like a bear nape's.

BajaMike

Reaction score
We did the Prime Rip from Costco one time.....so fucking good. Easy cooking directions, turns out great.

Yes, it costs $80 to $100 depending on how big of one you get, but well worth it. Feeds 10 or 15 with leftovers for soup or chili.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
We will up at our family cabin this year,so no deep fried. Going to bring my smoker up. Put it in brine on Wednesday morning. Hope we didn't get to much snow .
FB_IMG_1520435712247.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
haha cant blame the turkey, its almost always the chef. A good 24 hr brine does wonders too, I also will usually do a creole spice and butter injections all over it.
Yup...all about the brine

fmo24

Reaction score
How big will that be after cleaned and ready to prepare

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of turkey, to dry for me, I usually only have 1 slice. I would much rather have a smoked brisket or prime rib, but since I don't do the cooking and my inlaws are very traditional and old school we have turkey.

What do you inmates have instead of turkey or if you're in my boat what would you prefer?
BBQ the turkey
So good
I will never do a oven roasted again

Babyback

Reaction score
Get a *minimally processed Turkey to start...brine the turkey (I prefer the Spice Hunter Brine Mix).

I smoke our turkey and it comes our perfect every time. I converted my BIL who did not like turkey. Now he eats it as I cut...

oh and I add spiral ham from Costco to the smoker.

I’m hungry now

4Waters

Reaction score
If the turkey is too dry someone is doing it wrong. Not pointing fingers, just saying.

Baste it with butter and white wine every 30 mins or so.
Not dry just to dry for me, I've tried deep fried still to dry.

4Waters

Reaction score
BBQ the turkey
So good
I will never do a oven roasted again
The inlaws are to traditional and old school, I've offered to smoke it but they said that's not how a Thanksgiving turkey is supposed to be done.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
The inlaws are to traditional and old school, I've offered to smoke it but they said that's not how a Thanksgiving turkey is supposed to be done.

Yeah I have the same issue with my in laws. How dare I for even suggesting something different.

Same shit all the time. You guys want to talk about dry shitty turkey.

My wife's uncle does a teriyaki turkey on a Weber kettle grill that he made a height extension for.

Has anyone here ever had or even heard of teriyaki turkey? Yeah probably not because turkey has no business being teriyakied.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Cook the turkey correctly.... my buddy is Italian and he’s doing the traditional Thanksgiving stuff + wedding soup and Spaghetti and meatballs. I could get behind that.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
always Turkey for T day, not a ham fan.

For a moist bird you need to brine it the day before. I Usually pull it out of the oven 5-10 degrees prior to doneness and always cook with a thermometer.

my 21-23 lbs birds usually cook in 3-4 hrs. Brine turkeys cook faster.

Nordie

Reaction score
I'll deal with the turkey, I just make sure I wash it down with mostly green bean casarol on my plate

Familyties

Reaction score
Turkey, Prime Rib and Ham :) because that's what they are serving at Havasu Springs, can't wait!!!

2Driver

Reaction score
Anything as long as it is accompanied with good sauerkraut and a good cranberry mix

jbird

Reaction score
I don’t care what is cooked as long as I get some candied yams and apple pie!

wzuber

Reaction score
as the chef's say on the food network..."a turkey is just a big chicken"...no reason to over cook it and make it dry. When the juices run clear the thing is done. (turkey. chix, prok etc) Roasting bags go a long way to retaining moisture as/or well as cooking covered (tinted), basting and having some moisture in the pan..wine, beer, water etc. Have fun and eat, drink and be wild.

Tbrownski

Reaction score
I made a Canada goose one year in the deep fryer. I injected it and rubbed it with seasoning and it still tasted like swamp water. Probably depends where you shoot it though