WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

floring material questions....LVP/LVT

wzuber

Reaction score
I am looking into using this material for flooring at dirtvill, my nik-name for our river house. haha Anyway, we're looking at the Life Proof, rigid core plank, click type product from Home Depot or any other "water proof" product you may have to recommend. I think a floating product as opposed to glue down would be best for the application. This will be installed over the existing 1970's asphalt tile tightly bonded to the concrete foundation. We were initially looking at installing plank tile but I think something like this will be a better option all things considered (substrate etc.) . What experiences have you guys had with these types of products? Have any of you used this specific product? similar products? pro's, cons. etc? Durability, performance, maintenance?
TIA

NicPaus

Reaction score
I have used it quite a few times not that manufacturer. Currently doing a house that will be listed soon. I bought a pallet and have 400 extra sq ft. Nice gray wide plank. I can get more at $1.49 a sq ft plus underlayment.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I did my trailer in Topoc with the vinyl plank stuff. Before I bought it, I took some of the samples and beat the hell out of them...hammered, hit with a hook blade, etc...It's pretty stout. Rocks stuck in boots dont damage it, and dragging chairs across it seems to be fine. Had it in for two years now. I wanted something both waterproof and kid proof...so far so good:p

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
I just installed a house full of it. The life proof from home depot is a mohawk product I believe. Went in good.
20191118_181303.jpg

This had the pad/underlayment attached to the back.

yz450mm

Reaction score
I had recommended this to my parents, and they put it in one of their bathrooms. Seems like if Home Depot is willing to stand behind it then it might be a good deal?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Mohawk was an industry standard back when I was into flooring. If it's made in North America or Europe still, I would say it's most likely good.

RichL

Reaction score
Mohawk was an industry standard back when I was into flooring. If it's made in North America or Europe still, I would say it's most likely good.
Not generally a fan of big box store product, but agree with this statement.

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Installed this material in my office about 2 years ago, looks like new, chairs dont seem to bother it at all. I did the waterproof product also. So far all is good.

IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5947.JPG
IMG_5955.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have a lot of it put in on our projects. I've learned a few things.

The cheap stuff is really cheaply made. I had a customer that insisted we use the Lowes cheap stuff. Where the flooring was in the sunshine, it swelled and bubbled up.

The flooring can scratch pretty easily. You drag something across it, or move furniture too fast you can leave marks.

The substrate has to be really flat. Spend extra time making sure you have no humps or dips. They will show and be apparent when walking across the floor.

I prefer the thicker stuff, with the micro-bevel edges. It is obvious it is not a hard wood floor, why pretend. The full plank look is more honest and looks less artificial.

The style and technology are improving constantly. It costs a bit more than laminate, but is quieter.

It is waterproof, but during a flood situation water can get under it..... hard to get it to dry out.

A great choice for lower level areas, like basements or anywhere that tends to get musty or moldy.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I am looking into using this material for flooring at dirtvill, my nik-name for our river house. haha Anyway, we're looking at the Life Proof, rigid core plank, click type product from Home Depot or any other "water proof" product you may have to recommend. I think a floating product as opposed to glue down would be best for the application. This will be installed over the existing 1970's asphalt tile tightly bonded to the concrete foundation. We were initially looking at installing plank tile but I think something like this will be a better option all things considered (substrate etc.) . What experiences have you guys had with these types of products? Have any of you used this specific product? similar products? pro's, cons. etc? Durability, performance, maintenance?
TIA
We used a product called Town and Country. Floating, snap together, aqua protection ya da ya da. Did the entire down stairs in it except the laundry/garage entry.

We’ve been pretty happy with it. Survived the years of Maxie the Tasmanian Devil dog, Daisy the Doberman and now Rocky.
Daisy was about 100lbs and would on occasion attack the sprinklers at 0500AM, then come in dripping wet. :mad:
6F8F4B09-4241-4728-8298-6AC395C4C326.jpeg

In about 12 years this is the worst of the wear, in a high traffic area (entry stairs) and the wear is on a trim piece that covers seams of vertical/horizontal planes.
I’ve dropped cans of soup, screw drivers, etc. couldn’t tell where they landed.
Swifter it, wet Jet it, broom it, mop it. Whatever you like.
We have zero regrets.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We are getting vinly floor planking installed in our house today and tomorrow.

I did my trailer in Topoc with the vinyl plank stuff. Before I bought it, I took some of the samples and beat the hell out of them...hammered, hit with a hook blade, etc...It's pretty stout. Rocks stuck in boots dont damage it, and dragging chairs across it seems to be fine. Had it in for two years now. I wanted something both waterproof and kid proof...so far so good:p

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
We've done it twice. First job went pretty smoothly. Second time we really struggled getting the boards to snap together properly. Combined with the really long runs combined with some perpendicular hallways, we painted and paid some guys from Flooring Liquidators to do it on the side. Has held up really well but it does expand a surprising amount. Read the mfg. specs.

RichL

Reaction score
Always allow room for expansion per instructions and undercut door jambs where installed prior to flooring.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Bought 1500 square feet from lumber liquidators. Should start installing it 2nd weekend of December. 5mm thick rustic oak from Tranquility. Floatings LVP floor. Snapped a bunch of pieces together in my garage as a sample. Looks good!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Always allow room for expansion per instructions and undercut door jambs where installed prior to flooring.
Forgot to mention the expansion deal. Two years ago my main breaker died at the river, in August:eek:. I roll out, and find the interior slightly cooler than the sun, and a fridge that smelled like death's vomit. The the plank type flooring was buckled like a bad acid trip. I went outside and slept in the boat. Next day, bought a new breaker in Havasu, swapped it hot, and fired up the AC. When the interior temp got to around 100-110, the buckles laid back down. There are a couple gaps now, but that was in a mobile, with a dumbass installer (me:rolleyes:)

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I have my whole house and like it. I did have a leak from my freezer line but didn't know for a while because once water gets under it wont dry out and doenst really come thought unless there is allot of water. Also did notice the area we did not replace did bow out a little not sure why. Can't really tell unless you install it and know what to look for. I have and I did.

But other than that its great with kids and dogs.

wzuber

Reaction score
I have used it quite a few times not that manufacturer. Currently doing a house that will be listed soon. I bought a pallet and have 400 extra sq ft. Nice gray wide plank. I can get more at $1.49 a sq ft plus underlayment.

Thx. for the offer Nic, I'm interested. what brand, model and color # is your material?

wzuber

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch to all the other posters for your very helpful and insightful replies. I really appreciate it.