32F3D650-882E-40FB-BCD8-3330A8679261.jpeg

Icky

Reaction score
Very cool

Are you wearing a chute? Looks like 2 sets of harnesses

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m queezy just watching that.. lol. When I was younger sure but now, no way..

Glad you are having fun and enjoying the new plane! Definitely looks like you are developing a new skill set!

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Very cool

Yes always wearing a chute

I’m queezy just watching that.. lol. When I was younger sure but now, no way..

Glad you are having fun and enjoying the new plane! Definitely looks like you are developing a new skill set!

Yes Definitely increasing my skill level incredibly! So different than flying the SUV.

i’m talking to myself and telling the instructor in front of me exactly what’s happening. He’s there to bail me out if I need it. He never had to step in today.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Pretty cool. Are those all Solar panel installations out there?

rrrr

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video and a copy of your sequence. Very cool!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Is the sequence like a roadmap of what you are supposed to do? Is it taped to the dash (or whatever the aviation term is)?

...and what number or symbol signifies time to puke:eek:

seanroberts

Reaction score
Looking good Paul, add an outside loop in yurt next routine. After I recover from this surgery maybe I could go up with you. The hammerhead is still my favorite.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
That is so much fun. I can remember the days, rushing out to the hobby field for flight time. Was able to spend time in a Blanik L13AC glider too, doing loops and rolls. We towed it up with an old Aeronca Champ. Medical issues have pushed me out of the cockpit. I miss it so much, ENJOY!

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Is the sequence like a roadmap of what you are supposed to do? YES

Is it taped to the dash (or whatever the aviation term is)? YES TAPED TO DASH IS CORRECT

...and what number or symbol signifies time to puke:eek:
All of the above mean puke to most.

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Luv ya but absofrickunlutely ZERO chance I'm going for a ride in that.
I know you are thrilled with the new plane, congrats

Havazoo

Reaction score
Woo, how do you spell ADRENALINE RUSH....

mbrown2

Reaction score
Very cool....we need 2 camera view front/you with air speed gauge... You can see after some of the maneuvers your heart beating a bit faster and the prelude to the stall and the forces that take over there are intense!

TCHB

Reaction score
I will stick to my golf cart!!!!!! Have fun.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have been up there with him for a little bit. Fun ride but I could only take a small dose before starting to cold sweat. :D I had to tap out and get dropped off at KLGB. I was training IFR in Mohave / Cal City on Friday. Stopped for gas there.

traquer

Reaction score
Very cool

Very cool indeed! Would love to learn on a sail plane first one day.

Also, re: parachute. How is that supposed to work? I'm assuming there's no explosive charges like on military planes

530RL

Reaction score
Very cool indeed! Would love to learn on a sail plane first one day.

Also, re: parachute. How is that supposed to work? I'm assuming there's no explosive charges like on military planes

Same way it worked in WWII.

Try not to get hooked or hit by the plane on the way out.

:)

SternDrive

Reaction score
Flew my first routine today.......SOOOOOOOO fun
Last minute phone video isn’t to bad.

View attachment 819999
Welcome to the insanity:
Fig 1: Need to float the top of the looping portions. Should feel zero g at the top. Same for Fig. 2
Fig 3: This should not be a coordinated turn -> roll to intended bank angle, then pull but not at the same time.
Fig 4: Too steep is better than too shallow. Use this figure to slow yourself down. (it's a low K figure, use it to help stay in the box.)
Fig 5: Recover from the spin and exit on a vertical line down. Hold the line long enough for judges to see it.
Fig 6: Wait a tiny bit longer before you pull at the top, then pull quickly but smoothly then stop abruptly and hold the vertical line down.
Fig 7: Looks like you yanked it off the vertical too hard and it tried to stall, then yawed off the line (you fixed it though, good job!).. Load the wing and pull brisk but smooth. Need to sharpen those stops on the 2 of 4.
Fig 8: Again, float the top of the loop, should see zero G and straps floating, otherwise your loops will be flat on the top.
Fig 9: You flew over the top of the hammer a bit. Wait until you feel the airframe shake a bit (actually a lot) before you kick.
Fig 10: Roll faster, stop faster....practice, practice, practice.

It's tough to keep this airplane in the Aerobatic box with the sportsman sequence.
Too many horizontal figures. You'll spend a lot of time managing energy. It's a bit like bringing a formula 1 car to a local track day.

If you haven't already:
1. Join IAC chapter 26 out of SoCal. The Victorville area. http://www.iacchapter26.org/about-us.html
Tim Just is the president, (a great guy)
2. Get some coaching....it's so worth it. It'll fix bad habits before they take hold. You must have coaching/critiquing from the ground.
3. GET spin training in all orientations (upright, inverted, transition upright to inverted, accelerated, and flat).
The stick forces are very light on this airplane and the control surfaces are very powerful. This makes it easy to get into some wild spinning rides on accident so you need to see those for yourself and acclimate to the insane rotation rates. It's really easy to go from upright spin to inverted with a ham fisted recovery and not even realize it!

I suggest that you compete in sportsman and later intermediate and then decide if you really want to continue.
Advanced and then Unlimited are insanely competitive and require all of your time and most of your money.

Aerobatic competition flying will make you a much better pilot and amazingly more precise.

Good luck

Bullhead bully

Reaction score
Welcome to the insanity:
Fig 1: Need to float the top of the looping portions. Should feel zero g at the top. Same for Fig. 2
Fig 3: This should not be a coordinated turn -> roll to intended bank angle, then pull but not at the same time.
Fig 4: Too steep is better than too shallow. Use this figure to slow yourself down. (it's a low K figure, use it to help stay in the box.)
Fig 5: Recover from the spin and exit on a vertical line down. Hold the line long enough for judges to see it.
Fig 6: Wait a tiny bit longer before you pull at the top, then pull quickly but smoothly then stop abruptly and hold the vertical line down.
Fig 7: Looks like you yanked it off the vertical too hard and it tried to stall, then yawed off the line (you fixed it though, good job!).. Load the wing and pull brisk but smooth. Need to sharpen those stops on the 2 of 4.
Fig 8: Again, float the top of the loop, should see zero G and straps floating, otherwise your loops will be flat on the top.
Fig 9: You flew over the top of the hammer a bit. Wait until you feel the airframe shake a bit (actually a lot) before you kick.
Fig 10: Roll faster, stop faster....practice, practice, practice.

It's tough to keep this airplane in the Aerobatic box with the sportsman sequence.
Too many horizontal figures. You'll spend a lot of time managing energy. It's a bit like bringing a formula 1 car to a local track day.

If you haven't already:
1. Join IAC chapter 26 out of SoCal. The Victorville area. http://www.iacchapter26.org/about-us.html
Tim Just is the president, (a great guy)
2. Get some coaching....it's so worth it. It'll fix bad habits before they take hold. You must have coaching/critiquing from the ground.
3. GET spin training in all orientations (upright, inverted, transition upright to inverted, accelerated, and flat).
The stick forces are very light on this airplane and the control surfaces are very powerful. This makes it easy to get into some wild spinning rides on accident so you need to see those for yourself and acclimate to the insane rotation rates. It's really easy to go from upright spin to inverted with a ham fisted recovery and not even realize it!

I suggest that you compete in sportsman and later intermediate and then decide if you really want to continue.
Advanced and then Unlimited are insanely competitive and require all of your time and most of your money.

Aerobatic competition flying will make you a much better pilot and amazingly more precise.

Good luck

Fantastic input , I really appreciate the input.
We’ve already done lots and lots of insane spin recoveries in every unusual attitude possible. I Really eat that up I love it.

Where did you get your experience? Obviously you’re not new to it.

PM sent

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
After reading the above, I have come to the conclusion my brain cannot function fast enough to process the three dimensional variables. By the time I figured out the next step, I'd be a crater. I have a new found respect for those pilots we watch at air shows.

rrrr

Reaction score
That is so much fun. I can remember the days, rushing out to the hobby field for flight time. Was able to spend time in a Blanik L13AC glider too, doing loops and rolls. We towed it up with an old Aeronca Champ. Medical issues have pushed me out of the cockpit. I miss it so much, ENJOY!

I have the same issue, lost my medical around 12 years ago. I take meds for chronic pain because of my dicked up knee replacements.

I was able to fly with a friend in his aircraft for a few years, but he moved across the country and we've lost touch. It sucks, I've loved flying since I was four or five. I lived next to the boundary fence of Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque (early 1960s).

I would often see fighters like the F-100 and F-104 in echelon fours perform crisp overhead breaks into the pattern. There were occasionally bombers too. Seeing and hearing B-58 Hustlers was just awesome. I thought it was the coolest airplane ever built.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I have the same issue, lost my medical around 12 years ago. I take meds for chronic pain because of my dicked up knee replacements.

I was able to fly with a friend in his aircraft for a few years, but he moved across the country and we've lost touch. It sucks, I've loved flying since I was four or five. I lived next to the boundary fence of Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque (early 1960s).

I would often see fighters like the F-100 and F-104 in echelon fours perform crisp overhead breaks into the pattern. There were occasionally bombers too. Seeing and hearing B-58 Hustlers was just awesome. I thought it was the coolest airplane ever built.

I was on Larson Air Force Base back in the 60's. What a great time in my life. I too was up in the air as soon as I could get belted in, by my Dad's standard. ;)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

You can fly those aircraft with no medical now, just as a point of reference.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
You can fly those aircraft with no medical now, just as a point of reference.
It's an inner ear problem from a head injury that can cause benign paroxysmal if I get the right head movement. I can't ride a roller coaster. Level flight is no problem but, I will never solo again.

rrrr

Reaction score
I was on Larson Air Force Base back in the 60's. What a great time in my life. I too was up in the air as soon as I could get belted in, by my Dad's standard. ;)

That's cool, you know exactly what I'm talking about. My friends would be playing, and I'd be gooning at the bright flashes of aluminum streaking by. Those were the days of pure turbojets roaring overhead, and it wasn't uncommon to hear sonic booms.

There was a small outfit called Capital Airlines that ran Barons from Albuquerque to Los Alamos every weekday morning at 6 AM, and they flew right over my house after takeoff. In my little kid brain, there was no doubt they were hauling scientists and military secrets. In the summer, I would wake up at 5:30, get dressed, and go outside to watch them climbing away. Even today, when I hear twin IO-470s, I look up, spot the aircraft, and smile.

Last edited:

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
That's cool, you know exactly what I'm talking about. My friends would be playing, and I'd be gooning at the bright flashes of aluminum streaking by. Those were the days of pure turbojets roaring overhead, and it wasn't uncommon to hear sonic booms.

There was a small outfit called Capital Airlines that ran Barons from Albuquerque to Los Alamos every weekday morning at 6 AM, and they flew right over my house after takeoff. In my little kid brain, there was no doubt they were hauling scientists and military secrets. In the summer, I would wake up at 5:30, get dressed, and go outside to watch them climbing away. Even today, when I hear twin IO-470s, I look up, spot the aircraft, and smile.
I would go out with my Dad or Col. Owens and sit right on the end of the runway and have the 141 Starlifter's go over our heads and land. Did the same when they were doing flight test on the new C5 Galaxy. Later in life I found out that they were flying out supplies but, flying in bodies from Vietnam.

rrrr

Reaction score
That's really sad. When I think of Hill 1338, An Loc, Hill 875, and other battles that killed our boys but were meaningless in the larger picture, it's painful to me.

Last week, I watched a rerun of Ken Burn's Vietnam series on PBS. It's 10 two hour episodes.

During the entire showing, I felt a terrible depression. How could we, as a nation, been so blinded to reality? Johnson and McNamara went against everything we stand for, and Nixon turned it into a tool to win election and reelection.

I've been to The Wall a couple of times and traced my fingers over familiar names. It's a cathartic experience.

May God protect our military forces all over the world today, as we celebrate Thanksgiving while they stand to defend us and make the world a better place.

Sorry for the thread drift.