WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Amazon Fun In Eastvale

attitude

Reaction score
That article doesn’t surprise me. I live in Norco and work in Corona, I have talked to multiple people that have worked there or are still working there and not one person has had anything good to say about Amazon and the Eastvale warehouse.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
At 54, a lady took a job as a stock handler...and sprained her back.

I'm 42 with spinal fusions...and no disability or unemployment pay...
The nature of the job is what it is when you apply. I don't feel sorry for her, as no one should feel bad for me.

Maybe she should have stayed in school too?;)

havasujeeper

Reaction score
We are currently fighting Amazon trying to put a 300,000 sq ft warehouse in Upland, just below Cable Airport. We will have protests on 12/6 and 12/13 from 1500-1700 hours at the location. Meet us at Lowe's and grab a protest sign!

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I am surprised the unions aren’t all over this issue.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
We are currently fighting Amazon trying to put a 300,000 sq ft warehouse in Upland, just below Cable Airport. We will have protests on 12/6 and 12/13 from 1500-1700 hours at the location. Meet us at Lowe's and grab a protest sign!
Where are they trying to put it? Moved from that area about 7 years ago, but haven't been on that stretch of Foothill since. Are they going just south?

El Rojo

Reaction score
At 54, a lady took a job as a stock handler...and sprained her back.

I'm 42 with spinal fusions...and no disability or unemployment pay...
The nature of the job is what it is when you apply. I don't feel sorry for her, as no one should feel bad for me.

Maybe she should have stayed in school too?;)
But they hired her anyways, and I would have to assume that they knew this might be a potential liability?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
There is a 50 acre chunk of land just south of the airport and west of Lowe's. It will include 1670 parking spots for their delivery vans.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
But they hired here anyways, and I would have to assume that they knew this might be a potential liability?
Companies are afraid not to hire qualified people for fear of discrimination lawsuits.
Only the government can discriminate.:D

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
I have a friend who is maintenance at the Wisconsin facility. They pay well for Guys who know their stuff. It took me about 2 minutes to figure out It wasn't for me.
I do have to say there are employment discrimination laws in cali that encourage Amazon to hire people who are probably not fit for that type of work. Catch 22.

El Rojo

Reaction score
Companies are afraid not to hire qualified people for fear of discrimination lawsuits.
Only the government can discriminate.:D
it doesn't sound like she was qualified though...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
But.... They can't do physicals or else that would be discrimination. How many of the injured people are in good physical condition and are physically capable of performing strenuous activity day in and day out? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say likely far more than half. Probably closer to 70% would be my guess. Like this lady. Yeah, Amazon creates a fairly hazardous situation with the pace, but people that don't take care of their bodies and apply for positions like that are a large part of the problem as well.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

redone76

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why are you fighting against it?

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
it doesn't sound like she was qualified though...
I would agree, but unless there’s a physical involved and or some kind of testing people that are desperate and wanting or needing to work will try anything I guess.
I can’t help but think there’s a pretty good chance she may have had back issues long before she ever went to work for Amazon. A lot of people are always looking for a golden ticket out.

El Rojo

Reaction score
But.... They can't do physicals or else that would be discrimination. How many of the injured people are in good physical condition and are physically capable of performing strenuous activity day in and day out? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say likely far more than half. Probably closer to 70% would be my guess. Like this lady. Yeah, Amazon creates a fairly hazardous situation with the pace, but people that don't take care of their bodies and apply for positions like that are a large part of the problem as well.

The entire premises of AMZN is built on convenience and speed, so maybe they just hire whoever and are so big they can deal with the fallout and lawsuits by employees?

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Milestone MX is closing on 12/8 to be replaced with an Amazon DC according to rumor. The track is really closing on 12/8 for good, there will be a distribution center built on the site, rumor is it is for Amazon.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The entire premises of AMZN is built on convenience and speed, so maybe they just hire whoever and are so big they can deal with the fallout and lawsuits by employees?
Thats always a portion of it. But without a legal method of being able to weed out the physically unfit prior to hiring, these issues will continue to arise. For a company as large as Amazon, if they could devise a simple test and/or physical prior to hiring, they would. It would save them substantial money in insurance costs and probable lawsuits.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Thats always a portion of it. But without a legal method of being able to weed out the physically unfit prior to hiring, these issues will continue to arise. For a company as large as Amazon, if they could devise a simple test and/or physical prior to hiring, they would. It would save them substantial money in insurance costs and probable lawsuits.

Clearing out Grad's closet in less then 8 hours or less of his collection would be all inclusive? :eek:

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
It is kind of an odd deal. The jobs I always had, you had to be able to climb a ladder, lift 100+lbs and work in adverse conditions, be it strong odors or temperatures exceeding 110 degrees. That was par for the course. You knew that signing up. The pay was decent, but the conditions sucked, and the job was not easy. That was why the pay was decent. Call me old fashioned, but you make a buck with your brain or your back. I am not very smart, but I'll work broken and bloody. Bills get paid, kids eat...dirty hands and a clean conscience. If you try to run a legit business now, people want something for nothing. If they can't do a job, it's somehow the employer's fault.

...and no, I wasn't always of this thought. Mom and Pops tried to teach me, but I knew everything...until I learned enough to know I didn't know a damn thing:)

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity why are you fighting against it?
Great question!

As a Logistics center, Amazon will be paying the City of Upland a one time fee of approx. $2 million dollars, and this warehouse has a 100 year lease. There is no further residual monies for Upland at all. With the destruction of the roadways, that $2 Million will be gone within the first paving job on Benson Ave, and the roads will need to be repaired at least every 3-4 years for the next 100 years. With 1600 vans making 3-4 deliveries a day, you can expect an excess of 4,000 more vehicles on the roadway, primarily Baseline Road, which turns into 16th Street. There are also at least 25 53' foot tractor/trailers which will be allowed to deliver 24 hours a day, severely impacting the noise in a predominantly residential area. The warehouse will be fully automated, but they claim they may need UP TO 200 employees maximum. The biggest issue is that this "Prototype" Logistics Center will not provide ANY taxes to the City of Upland, ever. Lastly, Bridge Development, the contractor for the Amazon, refuses to comply with or complete any Environmental Impact Report (EIR), and will only comply with a Mitigated Negative Impact Report, to hide any full traffic studies, health concerns, and potential fuel runoff from the uphill Airport.

Sorry for the long rant, but as a director of the Upland Coalition of Concerned Citizens, we are fighting this land use to the fullest extent possible.

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
Great question!

As a Logistics center, Amazon will be paying the City of Upland a one time fee of approx. $2 million dollars, and this warehouse has a 100 year lease. There is no further residual monies for Upland at all. With the destruction of the roadways, that $2 Million will be gone within the first paving job on Benson Ave, and the roads will need to be repaired at least every 3-4 years for the next 100 years. With 1600 vans making 3-4 deliveries a day, you can expect an excess of 4,000 more vehicles on the roadway, primarily Baseline Road, which turns into 16th Street. There are also at least 25 53' foot tractor/trailers which will be allowed to deliver 24 hours a day, severely impacting the noise in a predominantly residential area. The warehouse will be fully automated, but they claim they may need UP TO 200 employees maximum. The biggest issue is that this "Prototype" Logistics Center will not provide ANY taxes to the City of Upland, ever. Lastly, Bridge Development, the contractor for the Amazon, refuses to comply with or complete any Environmental Impact Report (EIR), and will only comply with a Mitigated Negative Impact Report, to hide any full traffic studies, health concerns, and potential fuel runoff from the uphill Airport.

Sorry for the long rant, but as a director of the Upland Coalition of Concerned Citizens, we are fighting this land use to the fullest extent possible.
It sounds like you have your concerns in order. I'm sure if proper provisions were made to maintain the quality of the neighborhood, ingress/egress were accounted for and taxation to be within line it might not be an issue. Amazon is the new walmart on Super steroids imo.
Good luck holding the community together. Sink or swim fits this narrative.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
that
Great question!

that
sounds like a concern for the City Planners and commissioners. The city must be making some other revenues on this proposal??..

78Southwind

Reaction score
I worked for two different grocery warehouses while going to college and neither of the companies would have hired that lady. Maybe, things have changed but at the time we had to pass a physical. I am really surprised they hired her. These type of jobs are for young-men, jobs built to tear down your body though crazy amounts of repetitive motion and in some cases heavy lifting. In the different warehouses I worked, I only knew of 2 women that were hired as order selectors (they were bad-asses but still only pulled the standard). Over time you can learn tricks to become more efficient but the standards just keep creeping up to a point where new hires just leave during lunch-time and never come back.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Commercial development doesn't pay property taxes in Upland?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I worked for two different grocery warehouses while going to college and neither of the companies would have hired that lady. Maybe, things have changed but at the time we had to pass a physical. I am really surprised they hired her. These type of jobs are for young-men, jobs built to tear down your body though crazy amounts of repetitive motion and in some cases heavy lifting. In the different warehouses I worked, I only knew of 2 women that were hired as order selectors (they were bad-asses but still only pulled the standard). Over time you can learn tricks to become more efficient but the standards just keep creeping up to a point where new hires just leave during lunch-time and never come back.
Things have changed. Now if you tell someone "no" you best be prepared for a lawsuit. Like said before, physical condition and shape are not considered sufficient reasons for not hiring a person.

riverroyal

Reaction score
650000 employees. Injuries and lawsuits are part of the business plan

I would guess 20% of that number are employees that are less than trustworthy.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Thats always a portion

Things have changed. Now if you tell someone "no" you best be prepared for a lawsuit. Like said before, physical condition and shape are not considered sufficient reasons for not hiring a person.

of it. But without a legal method of being able to weed out the physically unfit prior to hiring, these issues will continue to arise. For a company as large as Amazon, if they could devise a simple test and/or physical prior to hiring, they would. It would save them substantial money in insurance costs and probable lawsuits.

Respectfully I disagree with all of you. A couple of people who have stated on here that Amazon doesn’t give a shit above safety just speed are correct.

I know on a firsthand basis that if you are a driver, you are expected to deliver 180 stops minimum on a 8 hour shift. That’s 1 stop every 3.75 minutes. Stop not packages. Might be one box or 3 boxes or whatever amount per stop. Reckless as fuck too. Dogs chasing you, specific instructions to follow. And here is the kicker, fuck up or not.... get 3 complaints from a customer and you are fired. No buts, ifs and defending yourself is even an option.

The young guy statement is bullshit too. Remember, firsthand knowledge. Out of a hiring class of 23 drivers, 7 weeks later only 3 remain. All of them are 25 or younger, they will be quitting too. The conditions they are working in are screwed up. They eat and drink while driving. Want to take a piss, better learn all the locations of bathrooms on your route. Don’t have time to take a shit.

A relative of mine played college football. He is 25 years old now and going to school for a another field. So, he took a job as a driver for Amazon to make money because his work schedule is Wed - Sun. He is 6’2” and weighed 225. In 6 weeks, he has lost 35 pounds. He works his ass off. My next door neighbor works at an Amazon warehouse. Most jobs are automated, but the human ones are grueling with an injury waiting to happen.

Trust me, I have friends that are 50, 60, 70 and one who is 80+. I could honestly say that no 20 - 40 year old would even come close In work wise (in every aspect). Some on here, know who I’m talking about. One guys who got it right (and is no longer here) was Whiteworks. He only hired the old school guys. Dependable, hard workers and know their shit.

As far as Amazon, it’s going to be a monopoly. Get rid of all the competition and then the prices go up. also, big brother is watching what you buy, how much you spend and etc. All traceable. Who knows, could affect your health insurance, life insurance and other things in life. You know, sort of like Uber and Lyft. Great idea until it’s not. Taxi man bad, ride sharing is great. Well, when it first began the rates were cheap and the convenience was great. Then, the drivers figured out that even driving both Lyft and Uber at the same time, you don’t make shit. After deducting gasoline, insurance, maintenance and wear and tear on your car, you make peanuts. That’s why the drivers now hold protests and figured out why taxis actually had to charge more to make ends meet. Same thing will happen to Amazon. Especially if the pro union democrats are in control. There are a lot of scenarios that would take place. Look what happened to New York. Who will pay for it all... all of us. Prices will have to go up because there will no longer be any competition and all the extra costs endured by Amazon will have to be paid by us.

boater250s

Reaction score
Respectfully I disagree with all of you. A couple of people who have stated on here that Amazon doesn’t give a shit above safety just speed are correct.

I know on a firsthand basis that if you are a driver, you are expected to deliver 180 stops minimum on a 8 hour shift. That’s 1 stop every 3.75 minutes. Stop not packages. Might be one box or 3 boxes or whatever amount per stop. Reckless as fuck too. Dogs chasing you, specific instructions to follow. And here is the kicker, fuck up or not.... get 3 complaints from a customer and you are fired. No buts, ifs and defending yourself is even an option.

The young guy statement is bullshit too. Remember, firsthand knowledge. Out of a hiring class of 23 drivers, 7 weeks later only 3 remain. All of them are 25 or younger, they will be quitting too. The conditions they are working in are screwed up. They eat and drink while driving. Want to take a piss, better learn all the locations of bathrooms on your route. Don’t have time to take a shit.

A relative of mine played college football. He is 25 years old now and going to school for a another field. So, he took a job as a driver for Amazon to make money because his work schedule is Wed - Sun. He is 6’2” and weighed 225. In 6 weeks, he has lost 35 pounds. He works his ass off. My next door neighbor works at an Amazon warehouse. Most jobs are automated, but the human ones are grueling with an injury waiting to happen.

Trust me, I have friends that are 50, 60, 70 and one who is 80+. I could honestly say that no 20 - 40 year old would even come close In work wise (in every aspect). Some on here, know who I’m talking about. One guys who got it right (and is no longer here) was Whiteworks. He only hired the old school guys. Dependable, hard workers and know their shit.

As far as Amazon, it’s going to be a monopoly. Get rid of all the competition and then the prices go up. also, big brother is watching what you buy, how much you spend and etc. All traceable. Who knows, could affect your health insurance, life insurance and other things in life. You know, sort of like Uber and Lyft. Great idea until it’s not. Taxi man bad, ride sharing is great. Well, when it first began the rates were cheap and the convenience was great. Then, the drivers figured out that even driving both Lyft and Uber at the same time, you don’t make shit. After deducting gasoline, insurance, maintenance and wear and tear on your car, you make peanuts. That’s why the drivers now hold protests and figured out why taxis actually had to charge more to make ends meet. Same thing will happen to Amazon. Especially if the pro union democrats are in control. There are a lot of scenarios that would take place. Look what happened to New York. Who will pay for it all... all of us. Prices will have to go up because there will no longer be any competition and all the extra costs endured by Amazon will have to be paid by us.
Those delivery demands aren’t that bad UPS drivers have been doing that for over 100 years

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Those delivery demands aren’t that bad UPS drivers have been doing that for over 100 years

Have several buddies who work and some retired from Fedex and UPS. You are quite wrong on your numbers. As a matter of fact, here is an article. That’s is packages and not stops.

https://www.wired.com/2013/06/ups-astronomical-math/

UPS belongs to the Teamsters union at $30 plus an hour with full benefits. Breaks, lunches and union reps to go in with you so you don’t get fired. Had a UPS driver run us off the road into a farm field while we were towing our boat with the F450. He was on his cell phone and crossed over fully head on. Saw what happened, put on his brakes for a minute and kept rolling. I contacted called 911 (at the time) and UPS the next day. They had an investigation and UPS just issued a generic apology. Driver kept his job and got a written warning put in his file. This happened on the road from Ehrenberg to Parker. Quite a bit different than Amazon, do you think?

Amazon drivers make $15 to start.

Ladsm

Reaction score
The unions are the ones that post these articles and spread the false stories to try and get their foot in the door. Taxes, oh yeah Amazon pays them and the EPA and local ordinances are all adhered to. I have to report every drop of water that goes in the storm drain, every minute of testing the generator, every year fire dept inspects the facility. No corners get cut on regulatories

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Search Results
Featured snippet from the web

Amazon Didn't Pay Any Federal Income Taxes in 2017. ... According to a new report from the Washington, D.C.-based Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (ITEP), Amazon says that the e-commerce giant “reported $5.6 billion of U.S. profits and didn't pay a dime of federal income taxes on it.”

Amazon pays no federal income tax for 2018, despite soaring profits, report says. Profits for online retail behemoth Amazon soared in 2018, but it paid no federal income tax for the second consecutive year, according to a report published Wednesday.Feb 15, 2019

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Also remember, about 82% of property taxes goes to the county, not the city.

78Southwind

Reaction score

The funny thing is that the driver jobs were probably the best jobs at the grocery warehouses (that were unskilled labor jobs). This might be comparing Apples to Oranges but it's the only thing that I have actual experience in, to compare. In the grocery warehouse business it was about speed and accuracy. I would say that at least 90% of the order selector crew was in good shape and 50% in excellent shape, shit I was 155 lbs and 12% body fat while working there (how did we know because every year they had health care workers come and test us). Most of the guys pulling orders everyday were in their 30's or younger. Most of the warehouses had no women working there. I looked at it like playing a sport and pulled 155% everyday. The top guys could average 165% but to do that you needed to pull two orders at a time. The old-timers told us that the 100% standard was double what it was from the start of the standard. I basically earned four hours a day over standard so I could take that in pay or time-off. I would take half pay and half off so I only worked four days a week (with 5 days of pay) with Wednesday off for college. Basically, after a couple years (if you made it) you were a pro at your job and in excellent shape but here came the standard increase. Engineers came in to tweak the system and the next day I was pulling 145% and the guys pulling 110% were now pulling 95% (you had to average 90% to keep your job). New hires would just leave during lunch-time because they couldn't get close to the standard. I had a friend of mine that only hit 89% after 30 days but they hired him anyways and sent him to a small warehouse that didn't have standards. My buddy is a big guy too and is currently a Fireman.

Injuries were just apart of the business. Not only did we have an incentive time off and/ or pay we had an incentive to reduce injuries. We would get extra pay (I think it was around $50) on a quarterly basis if we were injury free and additional pay (again I think $50) if the crew was under a certain injury percentage. Some how as a crew we were under that percentage for three quarters and they stopped it. I guess it was less expensive to just have injuries. We had a couple deaths. One that I remember was a guy pulling orders in the mechanical warehouse and the pit car he was driving didn't stop when he went to pick an item and crushed his head. The bad thing is that he was pulling during lunch so no one found him until almost an hour later. Why was he pulling through lunch (maybe because the standards were to tight). The mechanical warehouse was so tight the only way you could make over standard is if the system was overloaded and it shut down. Then you could label up and put product in your pit car.

I went and looked up a job posting for an Order Selector at my old company (just a different part of California) that I worked for in the 80's and 90's and they still require similar things like a physical test. I think full-pay is probably around $25 and it is still covered under the Teamsters. The jobs always say part-time but that just means they don't have to guarantee you 8 hours a day (most will work 40 to 50 hours a week). To me these Amazon jobs look just like any other warehouse job that pays okay for unskilled labor. The problem is they keep increasing the standard to where only a few will make it and those that do are young and in excellent shape. Those that do make it overtime if aren't lucky will fall to an injury.

$19 Starting - Order Selector (Part Time Flexible Schedule Required) | 114017
Job Posting
Nov 13, 2019
Primary Location
California-Stockton

Description

Flexible Schedule Required - $19 Per Hour Starting Pay

Job Overview:
A warehouse order selector uses a power pallet jack to navigate the warehouse to pick orders utilizing a vocollect headset system. You will be responsible for safely and accurately pulling and gathering orders of goods in our perishable warehouse. As an order selector, you will palletize the orders, shrink wrap the pallets, and place them in the assigned locations.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
  • Continual lifting of 2-3 cases/minute with most cases between 40-70 lbs. with the occasional case up to 100 lbs.
  • Must be able to use a voice controlled headset for receiving orders verbally and operate a power pallet jack to transport products.
  • Able to pick with a high degree of accuracy and efficiency in a fast-paced environment.
  • Must be able to work in a range of temperatures from -10° to +90 .
  • Must be willing to adhere to industrial engineered time efficiency standards. Reports adjustments to inventory counts, spoilage or damage to stock, location changes, and out of stocks.
  • Marks identifying codes figures, or letters on articles, using labeling equipment.
  • Responsibilities include maintaining order selection performance standards of speed and accuracy with minimum damage and maximum safety.
  • Assists other department personnel in the performance of work activities when peak workloads require or during absences of division personnel.
  • Proven ability to match and reference numbers with speed and accuracy required.
  • Good attention to detail, time management, and spacial judgment required.
  • Attend work regularly and on time as scheduled.
Job Requirements:
  • Must be 18 years or older due to equipment operation. High school diploma or equivalent desired.
  • Warehouse and/or power pallet jack experience desired. Previous order selection, warehouse experience, or experience in a physically demanding position is preferred. Experience with
  • Pass pre-employment testing: Criminal Background Check, Drug Screen, and Physical Capabilities test.
  • Physical Requirements: Frequent bending, stooping, and lifting up to 80 lbs. with the occasional case up to 100 lbs. Job duties require handling cases of product from various positions including reaching above head.
  • Ability to work in temperatures ranging from -10 to 80 required.
  • Must be able to use a voice controlled headset for receiving orders verbally and operate a power pallet jack to navigate the warehouse(s). Experience with double pallet jack is preferred.
  • Must be able to pick on standards due to production requirements.
  • Must be able to work the required schedule and/or overtime, which could involve nights, holidays or weekends. Must be available to work and be on call up until 2:00 p.m., seven (7) days a week as needed. The facility is generally closed on Saturdays.
  • Must meet 6-month probationary period.
  • This is a bargaining unit position; employees are required to join the Teamster’s local Union 117 within 30 days of employment.

rickym20

Reaction score
650000 employees. Injuries and lawsuits are part of the business plan

I would guess 20% of that number are employees that are less than trustworthy.

Their business plan is definitely working, The company I work for has been bidding new facilities all over the country. Doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon....

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I'd still rather work for amazon then what i had tobdo as a union painter. Paint all the walls in a 3 bedroom house thrn go next door and paint two bedrooms. If your not done by 5 dony come back.... all with a brush. No rollar no airless, just a 6" block brush and a 2 gallon pot.

I still remember the job when i had my apprentice card ripped up and was given my journeymen card. It was a hospital job. I had to do 80 door casings a day. These were raw metal, 8'x5' doors i had to prime, under coat and paint them. For those doing the math thats 2 mins a coat. Which is impossible. Even the best painter could not. 2:30 maybe. It was piece work at $4.18 a casing. So i really did not care that i jad to work 11-12 hours a day. This was in 2001

Last edited:

Carlson-jet

Reaction score
02: Schmu starting to build up at the bottom of the conveyor/roller system.
10: Unstable, improperly stacked pallets about to topple over
11: I can already see the leaking gearboxes on the conveyor system.
15: Red flashing light. Not a good thing. Ever. LOL
45: Those are all spare costly parts in the background, Not food.
55: Huge dent in the right door along with splatter of unknown source not cleaned up.
1:12: The shuttle is beat to shit upper left corner from some type of crash.
1:16 Broken/missing fingers on conveyor. Hilarious part is, all these small things remind me of the Crazy for cocoa puffs character. :D

It's a good thing they keep going out of focus to hide the rest of the destruction.
It will run smooth for a few years before serious mechanical issues start creeping up and replacement/repair costs/ downtime start showing the real numbers.
Rock on. Those repairs are what I thrive on.