WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

When the levee breaks....Lake Oroville dam in trouble.

riverroyal

Reaction score
It's amazing what Americans do quick without red tape and studies. Reminds me of the north ridge quake work
There's a live webcam also, can't remember where I found it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
That's a cool video!

So they are ripping out the whole spillway and rebuilding it??

Pelon

Reaction score
More Boom!

[video=youtube;ppubsIDzmwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppubsIDzmwM[/video]

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
God I wish I could get in there with a gold pan.

rrrr

Reaction score

Sitting on that excavator running a hammer head for an eight hour shift has to be a tough job. It beats the shit outta the operator.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
I have a trip planned to Lake Orville for 5 days over the 4th of July Holiday. My brother in law that lives in Orville explained to me that there draining it fairly low for repairs to the spillway, anybody know any truth to this? Looks like its vertically 85-90' down already.

If so I might be changing my destination to Lake Shasta.

500bbc

Reaction score
I don't see myself reading through that document but...

I did see report yesterday that talked about the firm that built that thing had NEVER done a spill way before. Nothing like giving a contract that big and potentially effecting the lives of thousands of people to a group that never built one of those before...

If that was mine to build - I would at least hired somebody that had done it before.

"It was the good price!".

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I don't see myself reading through that document but...

I did see report yesterday that talked about the firm that built that thing had NEVER done a spill way before. Nothing like giving a contract that big and potentially effecting the lives of thousands of people to a group that never built one of those before...

If that was mine to build - I would at least hired somebody that had done it before.
Every company has to have a first project. Who’s to say they didn’t have members of the team that had built hundreds of spillways?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ill give them the benefit of the doubt - I'm sure they said they had qualified members on the team.

I'm still not hiring a company that hasn't built one of these before. - Its too high risk.

I get that you have to start someplace, but I at least want a company that has built a bunch of these. Maybe they were smaller and they are building up to this project. I would have more comfort in that then never built one before.
Yeah, I mean its not like therent hundreds of spillway projects coming up every year for grabs thet they could practice on an "unimportant" one......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

sirbob

Reaction score
Every company has to have a first project. Who’s to say they didn’t have members of the team that had built hundreds of spillways?

Yeah, I mean its not like therent hundreds of spillway projects coming up every year for grabs thet they could practice on an "unimportant" one......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

You are right...

Hire who ever you want.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Ill give them the benefit of the doubt - I'm sure they said they had qualified members on the team.

I'm still not hiring a company that hasn't built one of these before. - Its too high risk.

I get that you have to start someplace, but I at least want a company that has built a bunch of these. Maybe they were smaller and they are building up to this project. I would have more comfort in that then never built one before.

Yep. Agreed. Couple years ago we replaced some of Power Poles below Oroville dam. So I drive up across earthen dam to overlook at flood gates. Cool view, couple of plaques that tell of the project, but what really stood out was a big memorial for 30+ guys that died during the 10 year construction project in 1960's. That's just crazy amount of deaths for earthen dam built in 60's. Golden Gate Bridge was built in 1920's and had Zero deaths. Normally the amount of injuries and deaths on a project are pretty good gauge of how well a project is planned and managed. So with all the accidents and now spillway failure, I'd say this project from engineering thru construction, from beginning to end & bottom to top, was a total cluster fuck and I'm Surprised it lasted this long.
xDSC00949_cropped.jpg

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge spanned the years 1933-1937.

Eleven workers were killed during construction of the bridge. Almost thirty more were saved from death by the safety netting slung under the bridge deck.

Vegaskeith

Reaction score
Did they engineer aeration in the spillway to prevent erosion? I know that what the corps did to Glen Canyon when that bitch almost blew!

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I thought it was Kiewit who built the project. If it indeed was Kiewit they’re one of, if not the, largest dam and reservoir contractors.

I know Kiewit did the initial demo but not sure if they did the new construction portion. It’s a very tiny list of construction firms who can perform this size of project and Kiewit would be one of those. They are massive in size and the spillway would be within their scope.

https://www.kiewit.com/

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I thought it was Kiewit who built the project. If it indeed was Kiewit they’re one of, if not the, largest dam and reservoir contractors.

I know Kiewit did the initial demo but not sure if they did the new construction portion. It’s a very tiny list of construction firms who can perform this size of project and Kiewit would be one of those. They are massive in size and the spillway would be within their scope.

The pics in post #1216 shows concrete finishers with Kiewit hard hats.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge spanned the years 1933-1937.

Eleven workers were killed during construction of the bridge. Almost thirty more were saved from death by the safety netting slung under the bridge deck.

You are absolutely correct on both. My bad. Thanks for letting me know. I had heard “Wrong” many times there were no deaths on GGB construction.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
It’s not that it was built poorly or designed wrong , it’s that the state ignored maintenance and repair for years . Somebody dropped the ball and should be held accountable

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

Kiewit is doing the reconstruction of spillway with Phase 1 complete in 2017, and Phase 2 later this year, which will complete the project. Kiewit also just completed a 10 year project at Folsom Dam to add completely new emergency spillway with gates. Kiewit has also held title of worlds largest construction company along with Fluor and Bechtel.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Kiewit is doing the reconstruction of spillway with Phase 1 complete in 2017, and Phase 2 later this year, which will complete the project. Kiewit also just completed a 10 year project at Folsom Dam to add completely new emergency spillway with gates. Kiewit has also held title of worlds largest construction company along with Fluor and Bechtel.

I know them well lol

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Right on. Are you in trades?

I’m a vendor. I supply construction rental equipment. Light towers, forklifts, dirt engaging, etc...

I’m just a blip on their radar but get to experience a lot of what goes on inside the operation and the organizational flow.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I’m a vendor. I supply construction rental equipment. Light towers, forklifts, dirt engaging, etc...

I’m just a blip on their radar but get to experience a lot of what goes on inside the operation and the organizational flow.

You've got the goods. Good equipment venders are few and far between, worth their weight in gold.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Lake Oroville Water Level. WATER LEVEL. 889.28. Feet MSL. Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:00:00 AM Level is 161.18 feet above full pool of 728.10. Change ...

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a political pun in that statement?

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Looks fixed to me... I don't get the point of the meme...

4Waters

Reaction score
So lots of snow early in the season, could the new spillway get a workout this season.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Crazy. I couldn't see anything in the video a scary thought to think the cement spillway may be breaking apart.

The spillway was breaking apart 3 or 4 years ago, then had low water, and didn’t fix it because Moonbeam Brown wouldn’t spend the money, he and the current gov would rather spend money on illegal aliens health care.

Like all our dad’s said after WWII, the most dreaded words were “I’m from the government and I’m here to help”.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
The spillway was breaking apart 3 or 4 years ago, then had low water, and didn’t fix it because Moonbeam Brown wouldn’t spend the money, he and the current gov would rather spend money on illegal aliens health care.

Like all our dad’s said after WWII, the most dreaded words were “I’m from the government and I’m here to help”.
Well yeah. Duh! That's how the left works. Ignore things until they are at a catastrophic level then ask Daddy (the federal gov't) for help. The left (and I say left cause California has only really known lefist rule) is like a 19 year old with a car. It's there, and it may looks like a beautiful car, but don't look underneath or fire it up.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk