WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gun

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Have an 18 year old that wants to be a cop. Does explorers & is in process of getting hired as a cadet. Just waiting til 21 to get the real job. Anyway, he says last night he wants to go to a shooting range and learn how to shoot. Says he doesn't want to go into academy looking stupid. I agree!! I thought maybe buy him a gun for Christmas.

what should I look at that is not crazy price but a good weapon? I assume 9mm. I know NOTHING about guns. Im not against them, just dont give a shit. Never needed one never will.

Please keep it dummied down. I wont understand all the “tech” mumbo jumbo

thanx

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you can, find out what the sidearm is of the areas he's looking. May as well get the exact weapon if possible. The standard issue 9mm and .40 used by LE won't break the bank. Lots of ammo and range time...may break the bank, but worth it. If possible, some time with an instructor, so he doesn't start any bad habits.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I am partial to my Smith&Wesson M&P40. It's what most cops in my area carry and was also my first handgun. Operation is very similar to a Glock but the hand grip is more ergonomical which is why I like it.

Also if you can learn to shoot a .40cal accurately, those POS 9mm's will feel like shooting bb guns! A definite setup for success!

W.O.T

Reaction score
San Diego sheriff here. We are switching from glock 22 40cal to glock 17 9mil.

It is optional for us to switch but I shoot 9mil for fun and I shoot it better so in January I am switching over.

I recommend something similar you all can use. And I recommend glock nothing simpler and more useful but everyone has their own opinions on that

Yellowboat

Reaction score
No seriously, start him off with something other then a duty pistol. Learning good fundamentals is everything. A 22 bolt gun is a great way to start any one at any age.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
If you get him a .40, buy a LE trade-in...the market is flooded with them, and they’re dirt cheap.

Popularity of the .40 with LE has been declining ever since the FBI went back to 9mm a few years ago...good news if you’re in the market for a .40 [emoji106]

They come up for sale literally all the time these days

IMG_0328.png
IMG_0329.png
IMG_0330.png

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
No seriously, start him off with something other then a duty pistol. Learning good fundamentals is everything. A 22 bolt gun is a great way to start any one at any age.
We dont do baby steps in this house. Hes ridden a harley street glide to High school since 15 1/2. Aint got time for baby step shit. Go big or go home the black one is his
A4CA2AF3-7413-443C-9BAC-47963FAA3DE2.jpeg

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
W
If you get him a .40, buy a LE trade-in...the market is flooded with them, and they’re dirt cheap.

Popularity of the .40 with LE has been declining ever since the FBI went back to 9mm a few years ago...good news if you’re in the market for a .40 [emoji106]

They come up for sale literally all the time these days

View attachment 821568 View attachment 821567 View attachment 821566
where do you find these sales. Lol. I dont even know a good place to go buy a gun.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
HeHe...no time for baby steps?

Desert Eagle...kid won't be able to write for a week.

The other deal, the kid cannot legally own a handgun in the state of California until he is 21. Just a heads up when buying, it must be yours until he hits 21, then transferred. State of CA says you can only own long guns before you can buy beer:rolleyes:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
If he really wants to be a cop, telk him to join the coast guard. He will get a 1st hand taste of what service is. If he is lucky he will get stationed at some type of harbor patrol. Which is a cop on the water.

His schooling will be paid forbif he chooses that route, he gets first hand exp and gets "points" when it comes to being hired. All around its a win win.

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
Have an 18 year old that wants to be a cop. Does explorers & is in process of getting hired as a cadet. Just waiting til 21 to get the real job. Anyway, he says last night he wants to go to a shooting range and learn how to shoot. Says he doesn't want to go into academy looking stupid. I agree!! I thought maybe buy him a gun for Christmas.

what should I look at that is not crazy price but a good weapon? I assume 9mm. I know NOTHING about guns. Im not against them, just dont give a shit. Never needed one never will.

thanx
Where are you located?

Reaction score

thanx

I'd start him off with a .22 cal weapon. No need to waste expensive bullets learning how to hit the broad side of a barn. In 2-3 years when he's 21, he'll be ready for the real thing, and by then will have shot other guns available to him. Glock's seems to be a popular, so you might look at what's available.

Purchase a fake rubber guns, used to practice techniques. (stocking stuffer :) )

These are also cool too. ;) https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g17t-gen4-fx-fof

"youtube" videos can be of great help to understand the finer points of
making Law Enforcement a career choice.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
HeHe...no time for baby steps?

Desert Eagle...kid won't be able to write for a week.

The other deal, the kid cannot legally own a handgun in the state of California until he is 21. Just a heads up when buying, it must be yours until he hits 21, then transferred. State of CA says you can only own long guns before you can buy beer:rolleyes:

My 357CC hits harder than my .50cal desert eagle on the recoil end.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
My 357CC hits harder than my .50cal desert eagle on the recoil end.
Dumbest thing I ever did...in the HG department... .44 mag loaded about a half grain shy of max, 2" barrel Smith. Holy crap that hurt.
Kind of looking to build a scoped .357 as a pack gun. Carry an old lever now.

DLC

Reaction score
You can buy new or used and also LE pre owned like stated above.

call around to your local ranges find one you like and take a basic handgun safety class, teaches good fundamentals of hand gun handling, you should do it together. In order to buy the hand gun, if your in Ca. You’ll have to take and pass a handgun safety test to buy the gun. The range can set you up to take the test.
If your in San Diego CCW- USA. Bill Deusey is a great instructor and all around nice guy, he can do all firearms and hand to hand defense

I would go with a 9mm ( Glock 17 ) or a 40 cal ( Glock 22 ) these are both full size $300-600 depends on new /used. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and that might be better for more rounds shot

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
W

where do you find these sales. Lol. I dont even know a good place to go buy a gun.
You won't be able to get those in CA most likely. I like to use galleryofguns.com and have them ship to a local FFL. You will be able to chose from a list in your area. That said, I think you have to be 21 to have a handgun in CA. Hell, I think they just made it 21 for long guns too.

robert1050

Reaction score
I don't live in CA anymore, so I don't keep up with the laws over there, they seem to change all the time anyway. It's federal law that you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun. Long guns are 18.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
A membership to a good Gym, Hand to Hand Combat, ground-skills and mixed martial art classes to be able to hold on to whatever gun he might use in the future.
Nothing worse than having a really nice gun taken away from you.
But that's just me, having learned to take them away.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
He'll also need to know/learn if he's a right of left handed shooter as the possibility stands that just because he may be dominate with one side doesn't necessarily mean he won't be more comfortable & accurate using the other for this purpose.

With what side mentioned, there are weapons made that'll eject the shell casings either to the left or right sides to help lower the consistency of shell casings coming in contact with the shooter.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Most large Departments went back to 9mm’s as many non shooters/females have better accuracy with the 9, and new ballistics put it near a .45 with expansion performance in the right round.
Glock 17 or M&P equivalent will cover 60% of so cal standard issue.
Sig 320(?) is up and coming contender as is the CZ 10 both in 9mm for departments that issue guns

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
We dont do baby steps in this house. Hes ridden a harley street glide to High school since 15 1/2. Aint got time for baby step shit. Go big or go home the black one is his View attachment 821571

So he never rode a bicycle or dirt bike before the Harley?

Go check out a few range and get enrolled in classes, you can rent a few different pistols and try them out before purchasing.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Do you have a indoor gun range close that rents guns in house? Buy him a gift certificate for classes and let him try them all.

BONER

Reaction score
Go rent a few. If you're both inexperienced, it'll be a blast as a Father and Son deal. Pun intended. :)

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Like a couple guys have mentioned, buy a quality .22 pistol. What it does is create steady shooting habits. The lack of recoil will not effect holding the gun on target. Hard recoil can often create a slight wince when pulling he trigger that can be hard to overcome like any bad habit. Plus ammo is cheap and that means more practice time.

Create good habits and posture, then move up to higher calibers and adapt to them with good mechanics already in place.

Ruger 22/45 Mark III, IV are great shooters and the grip angle and feel is that of 1911 .45 ACP's which means he'll be learning on and become comfortable with the service pistols he'll transition to. I have several of these and shoot the hell out of them. Fun guns that promote good habits and skills.

Also buy a revolver and get used to different style of hand guns. Also fun to shoot and something different from semi auto pistols.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
All things considered about 40% of recruits in large so cal departments have never shot a gun.
Argument has been among instructors for years if that is good so they learn the way of the academy vs. Prior bad habits.
Been shooting since I was 7 , pretty sure it helped me. To each their own, plenty of classes to get squared away.
ITTS.com has a beginner handgun class you both can enroll in.

All staff current or retired LAPD SWAT.
No school in The Southwest Has more experience or instructors that have been in more Officer Involved shootings, period.
Some as recent as a month ago, lol.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
All things considered about 40% of recruits in large so cal departments have never shot a gun.
Argument has been among instructors for years if that is good so they learn the way of the academy vs. Prior bad habits.
Been shooting since I was 7 , pretty sure it helped me. To each their own, plenty of classes to get squared away.
ITTS.com has a beginner handgun class you both can enroll in.

All staff current or retired LAPD SWAT.
No school in The Southwest Has more experience or instructors that have been in more Officer Involved shootings, period.
Some as recent as a month ago, lol.
I would think actual training would be a good thing. I know the mechanics of my guns really well, and am reasonably safe I think, but have had no actual training. I'm sure my "form" is horrid. By now, at 42, my muscle memory would be a nightmare to overcome.

Above was posted about being a right or left handed shooter. My brother in law is LE. He is a freak of shooting, I think. He shoots pistols LH, and rifles RH. He is a lefty, but it's weird as hell to watch.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
The best part about this thread is your son knows what he wants to do at such a young age. I have a good friend that started out at 21 as a police officer. He retired around 50 and is setup real nice.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Get a Glock 17 in 9 mm.

Like the LEO said that is what is used mostly by their departments. If he is gonna train he might as well do it on that.

They are very good guns. The rest are just for show. Most of us buy many different guns so we have our favorites but that gets expensive.

In California he cannot own a handgun until he is age 21. You will have to buy it and keep it and go to the range with him. You can transfer it to him at 21 just go through an FFL.

Since he is going into the profession he might take some classes. Plenty of classes taught by ex LEO

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Oh and Cali changed their laws so that those under 21 cannot buy long guns either in 2019. Exemptions include LEO, military and hunting license holders

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I would think actual training would be a good thing. I know the mechanics of my guns really well, and am reasonably safe I think, but have had no actual training. I'm sure my "form" is horrid. By now, at 42, my muscle memory would be a nightmare to overcome.

Above was posted about being a right or left handed shooter. My brother in law is LE. He is a freak of shooting, I think. He shoots pistols LH, and rifles RH. He is a lefty, but it's weird as hell to watch.

A lot of female recruits that never shot do better than males because they LISTEN to the instructors, lol. The guys try to shoot like the movies and turn targets into shotgun #8 shot patterns

In Metropolitan Division, when I was in a line platoon, 20 of the 45 Cops wrote left handed/shot right handed (myself included)

There is a decent Number of SWAT Cops that have this “affliction”
Definitely makes you a better shot as you are less likely to be one side dominate vision wise which is great for a gun fight.

relaxalot

Reaction score
You can buy a handgun but he can't. Keep it simple.. Glock 34 full size is easier to handle. If he is just starting out it is good to take classes to review safety first. Then rifle range and lastly handgun range. There are many good classes available. Don't just think it is OK without some good training. 9mm is a good caliber that is inexpensive and not too much recoil. Classroom first range later..

sintax

Reaction score
See if you can find a hunter safety course and BOTH of you take it.

Good training to be had there, before buying a firearm.

THIS!

Please follow these words of advice. Before you go out and buy anything, find a facility that offers certified training. You both should take the course (its honestly more fun with someone you know). Then after the course you'll be equipped to handle the decisions necessary. Beyond that, there are some legal requirements that must be met since he cant legally own a handgun, so whatever you end up buying would be technically yours, not his.

All that being said, Glock 17 is what you want for a service weapon, but a Glock 19 is my my personal choice for a side arm.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

thanx

They will train him. Like mentioned above, it's almost better if he is not a regular. I had only fired a few handguns and rifles prior to being hired. Was second at the range only to a Retired Marine Instructor on qual days at the academy. It's more about being open to learning and not having to break down bad habits.

Glocks are great guns and not expensive. If you are going to buy one, go full size frame instead of compact.

More important that owning a gun, make sure he gets at least an AS/AA degree before being hired. If he can get his BS before he gets hired that's even better. More money up front and in many agency's it can open up promotions later in his career.

Best advice I can give you is tell him to be a Fireman.

2Driver

Reaction score
Didn’t see it mentioned but go price ammo, 9mm is a fair bit cheaper than shooting 40 cal.

You should have a reason to want the 40, which is what I have, but I wish the ammo was the 9mm price.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
They will train him. Like mentioned above, it's almost better if he is not a regular. I had only fired a few handguns and rifles prior to being hired. Was second at the range only to a Retired Marine Instructor on qual days at the academy. It's more about being open to learning and not having to break down bad habits.

Glocks are great guns and not expensive. If you are going to buy one, go full size frame instead of compact.

More important that owning a gun, make sure he gets at least an AS/AA degree before being hired. If he can get his BS before he gets hired that's even better. More money up front and in many agency's it can open up promotions later in his career.

Best advice I can give you is tell him to be a Fireman.
He full time student. One of requirements of being a paid cadet

ive shot plenty of guns. Am pretty good at it really. Or was at least. I have zero interest in it. Of course I will go because he is not 21. I will support anything my kids do. Sounds like hes gonna get the glock 9mm

River Runnin

Reaction score
Join the service! ...be an MP! ...buy a 500 S&W Magnum! ....cuz FK! ...if you can shoot that!...You can shoot anything!:)