WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for you cat owners

Gelcoater

Reaction score
There was almost an incident this morning, lol

Rocky and I went out about 6:30am I started smoking and cruising the net, he went out for the morning waz.

I’m on the side of the house and out back I hear a thump and all hell breaks loose.
I hear growling, barking, the sound of running.
I look towards the back yard and a cat rounds the corner. Hauling ass. Like his life depended on it.
Which, it did. :D
Rocky was one pissed off Doberman and missed dragging the cat off the fence by about two feet. Or, .3 seconds. Lol.

The question.
If this was your cat. What would the expected protocol be had Rocky had his way?
Say nothing?
Mail the bloody collar to the owner?

It’s possible I have to clean up a mess here soon. Lil bastard has been detected by security several times now but this was the first incursion.

4Waters

Reaction score
If the owner wants their cat to live then keep it in their house, if your dog kills it say nothing they should have kept it home. The law requires us to keep our dogs on our own property but cats can roam free, fuck that. I've been attacked (bitten or scratched) by more cats than dogs by a wide margin.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
For what is left it should be tossed in the trash and call it a day.
Life is a cycle no matter what cat lovers claim about that 9 lives shit...:D

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
When we lived in the city we had a two dog team. One would jump up and grab a possum off the top of the fence and the other would kill it. Couple times a month. 1 cat. Just put them in the trash.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
Agree on all the above, except I’ll add a couple of things. Put whatever is left of the cat in a black bag and dispose of it in some dumpster. The homeless go through your garbage on pick up days and might rat you out. If the neighbor comes by, put on your most concerned face and tell them you’ll keep an eye out. Went through a lot of this crap with neighbors.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Agree on all the above, except I’ll add a couple of things. Put whatever is left of the cat in a black bag and dispose of it in some dumpster. The homeless go through your garbage on pick up days and might rat you out. If the neighbor comes by, put on your most concerned face and tell them you’ll keep an eye out. Went through a lot of this crap with neighbors.
Rocky is keeping an eye out.
Been on high alert all day.
5CE28154-E3B6-4ED2-8FB8-5E4CBC8F1DB9.png

:D

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I have a dog and a cat. Here’s the thing about cats - they do whatever the hell they want. We try to keep ours inside, but he escapes when he wants as soon as you crack a door. All I can do is tell him “don’t die, Fucker!” as he runs off and leaps a wall.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have a dog and a cat. Here’s the thing about cats - they do whatever the hell they want. We try to keep ours inside, but he escapes when he wants as soon as you crack a door. All I can do is tell him “don’t die, Fucker!” as he runs off and leaps a wall.
Hates cats...
6DE9ECCD-97C9-4924-B365-F90A66384A9E.png

:cool:

rrrr

Reaction score
We don't let our cats out. Coyotes and bobcats roam the streets of our subdivision. There's a creek bed a few hundred yards from our house, and they use it to access the easy hunting of household pets.

Over the years, we have had just one cat that was let outside with no supervision. Every Saturday morning, I would let Banjo out of the back door to explore. Within 20 minutes, he would be at the front door meowing to be let in. I guess it didn't take long for him to case the neighborhood.

Banjo was different from almost all cats, when you called his name he would come, just like a dog. One Saturday morning, he hadn't returned after 30 or 40 minutes, so I went out the front door to look for him. I quickly spotted him, he was in a front yard across the street three houses away.

I called his name, and the result was comical. He immediately busted out running full speed like Mighty Cat, crossing the street and arriving at the front door in seconds. He's the only cat I've ever seen come like a Labrador retriever expecting a dog biscuit when called by his name. It was really funny.

One night I noticed Banjo laying against the kitchen wall and sorta gasping for breath. We took him to the animal ER, where an x-ray determined he had a large cancerous tumor on his lungs. He had long hair, which had concealed the growth, and up until that day hadn't shown any signs of illness, so we were floored by the diagnosis.

We took him home and loved on him until the next afternoon, then I took him back to the clinic to be put down. They inserted an IV port in one of his front legs, and I held him as the drugs did their job. There's nothing so difficult as watching a pet you have loved for years draw its last breath. My eyes are getting misty just typing this.

Last edited:

Singleton

Reaction score
Wife has cats, I have dogs.
Her current cat is kept inside. She had 1 outdoor cat that did not come home for 3 weeks. Considered it gone (dead). No need for anyone to tell us that cat kicked the bucket, when it did not come home for a few weeks we knew.

KevinR

Reaction score
Our cat stays inside.
We do however have a cat that roams and comes by to say hello the past couple years. Mostly in the morning. Sometimes he will sit outside our glass door and tease our cat.
His name is Gary. Jet black. I call him Gary the Wonder Cat cuz I cant figure out how he has not ended up a Coyote meal.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If I knew the cat's owner...and liked them...I'd give them a heads up about keeping it inside.
About two years ago I told the neighbor lady her dogs had been jumping her little fence by the house, and coming through our 6x6 fence around our property. This happened several times, and I tried to make sure they weren't out in my yard when I let the ridgebacks out. Well, I missed them one day. I took the body back to their house...Haven't had that problem since.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
While you bear no responsibility for the well being of the cat, the kind thing to do would be to let the owner know their cat is in danger of being injured or killed if it continues to enter your back yard.
That's the best you could do and if the dog catches it, that's on them.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
While you bear no responsibility for the well being of the cat, the kind thing to do would be to let the owner know their cat is in danger of being injured or killed if it continues to enter your back yard.
That's the best you could do and if the dog catches it, that's on them.
The cat being outdoors around here places it in danger.
Like rrr and a few others, we have coyotes, bobcats, coons and perhaps a big cat or two around. Not often with the big ones but they are out there.
Hell our owls are probably capable, lol.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
I also have a relocation service for Ferrell cats. Those fuckers are mean and vicious and will mess up a lot of dogs.

913DDB52-4161-4164-B0FC-966B8CD54786.jpeg

1CE2F292-C5AD-4C17-A1A1-3B0FCDD10F49.jpeg

This one didn’t make it. Before my Jack Russel passed away, he got tired of this one trying to claw him. My dog was in the back yard and took care of business. He absolutely hated possums.

66ABB935-521C-43EF-9A78-B162AB0B64BB.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don’t think I’d say anything if your dog ends up killing it. Honestly I don’t think I’d tell them anything before either. If fluffy doesn’t end up coming home and the coyotes get it, they will always suspect your dog killed it etc..

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
God works this out. Best you stay out of it and do the clean up in silence.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
If your dog happens to catch the cat take to China Garden in Parker. They will be sure it's put to good use.

farmo83

Reaction score
I hate my wife's cat. I'd be cheering your dog on from behind the fence.

In all seriousness I would not say anything and just get rid of the cat. People can go off the deep end about that kind of stuff.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Our outdoor cats had all been introduced to the neighborhood dogs. They are friends.
Saves drama.

We no longer have outdoor cats.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I’m a cat person. (and a dog person)

Outside cats sometimes make it, sometimes not. It is what it is.
If your dog got my cat, I’d be sad but it wouldn’t be my first cat to be just a second too late, a second too slow.

Frankly, our cats had survival down to a science. They knew when to hide, when the coyotes would come, what raccoons were, etc. Dogs were the least of their problems.
A cat in your yard is asking for suicide by Doberman!

Our neighborhood dogs knew our cats.
They pretty much let them be, and in fact we’re just a little afraid of them maybe.

sintax

Reaction score
There was almost an incident this morning, lol

Rocky and I went out about 6:30am I started smoking and cruising the net, he went out for the morning waz.

I’m on the side of the house and out back I hear a thump and all hell breaks loose.
I hear growling, barking, the sound of running.
I look towards the back yard and a cat rounds the corner. Hauling ass. Like his life depended on it.
Which, it did. :D
Rocky was one pissed off Doberman and missed dragging the cat off the fence by about two feet. Or, .3 seconds. Lol.

The question.
If this was your cat. What would the expected protocol be had Rocky had his way?
Say nothing?
Mail the bloody collar to the owner?

It’s possible I have to clean up a mess here soon. Lil bastard has been detected by security several times now but this was the first incursion.

Can you send him down the street. There are about 3-4 strays the lady next to me feeds, they cats REALLY need a Rocky play date in their life.

rcmike

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a side business.. I could use Rocky for a week or so myself..lol

Baja 252

Reaction score
Can you send him down the street. There are about 3-4 strays the lady next to me feeds, they cats REALLY need a Rocky play date in their life.

I second that, few cats around my yard that need to disappear. One jumps my fence and takes a dump in my yard like a dog.

Mike K

Reaction score
... probably the cool thing to do is to ... tell the cat owner what happened and let them know ... hey ... ur poor cat is gonna get caught if he keeps coming over. That way ... u were cool to the people and then it’s on them to protect their cat or not.

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Not to impune Rocky's rep. as a cat killer but not all cats so easily taken down.
Years ago I had a 26# Persian that terrorized all the dogs in the neighborhood.
On day I was sitting on the front porch with the cat (his name was River Rat) and one of the neighbors pulled up to the stop sign with his dog in the back of the truck. The dog was a 140# Shepard. The dog saw my cat and jump out of the truck and came bounding across my front lawn. About half way he started putting on the brakes because the cat was coming out to meet him and he wasn't quite sure what to make of that. The cat took one big leap and hooked the dog in the throat while swinging around and landed on the dogs back. From that point on it looked like something out of a cartoon where all you could see was a cloud of dust with spinning claws protruding from it. When the dog had rolled around enough to finally get free of the buzz saw that was on it's back he took off down the street yelping with the cat in hot pursuit swatting at his hind quarters.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We’re not cat people, always had dogs. Our Newfoundland was always with cats as a pup at her breeder’s place. The Newf liked them. She used to have a local cat come around to visit her when we had our trailer at Havasu. Our Newf was huge, but somehow that cat knew she wasn’t a threat. Our dog always seemed to act like we should have been more friendly to her cat friend.

Last edited:

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
I hate cats..........but love pussy. F cats. :D

Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Not to impune Rocky's rep. as a cat killer but not all cats so easily taken down.
Years ago I had a 26# Persian that terrorized all the dogs in the neighborhood.
On day I was sitting on the front porch with the cat (his name was River Rat) and one of the neighbors pulled up to the stop sign with his dog in the back of the truck. The dog was a 140# Shepard. The dog saw my cat and jump out of the truck and came bounding across my front lawn. About half way he started putting on the brakes because the cat was coming out to meet him and he wasn't quite sure what to make of that. The cat took one big leap and hooked the dog in the throat while swinging around and landed on the dogs back. From that point on it looked like something out of a cartoon where all you could see was a cloud of dust with spinning claws protruding from it. When the dog had rolled around enough to finally get free of the buzz saw that was on it's back he took off down the street yelping with the cat in hot pursuit swatting at his hind quarters.
I’m a dog person but that made me smile:)
I’m sure there’s a cat or two out there that might put a hurting on him, but this wasn’t that cat:D

Gelcoater

Reaction score
You’ll need to set him up with a disguise, or he’ll start earning a reputation in the neighborhood.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
My wife is a cat lover and currently has two that spend 50/50 indoors and out. Their free to come and go as they like as they have a pet door they share with our dog. I tell ya dont fuk with these two brothers as they will kick your ass and take names later. They bring home offerings to my wife all the time. Rats, birds and other varmites that are not recognizable at times.
Funny when she went to the local Petmart on adoption day she went through all the pre-screening shit and put down that we had a pet door and they denied here adoption of these stray little fuckers. Said they were not to be let out of the house due to dangers to their health. Next day he went to another store and put the right answers down and got her two cats.
She's had dozens of cats over the past 35 years and I can't count how many I took for a ride going to work. I think she had a clue on some of them being gone but she never questioned me about it. :D

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
First of all I was a little disappointed when I opened this thread and it wasn't a catamaran thread.:( Second, I'm a dog person not a cat person but it's someone's pet regardless. I would have tried to find the owner and told them what happened.:(:(