WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gun

STV_Keith

Reaction score
Tim, as someone above said, I'd recommend going to the shooting range and renting any 9mm he finds to fit his hand comfortably. Find the one he likes the best and get that. I'm a Glock fan, but the most important thing is to pick something that feels good in his hands.

Next, I'd suggest some basic training. Front Sight is just outside of Vegas and they will provide a good base for safety and shooting. You can get a lifetime membership for less than the cost of most 1-day classes. PM me if you want more info.

rivergames

Reaction score
I picked up a Springfield XD9 years ago. Fun gun with 0 issues. Great price and a great all around handgun.
upload_2019-12-2_13-38-20.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
A lot of female recruits that never shot do better than males because they LISTEN to the instructors, lol. The guys try to shoot like the movies and turn targets into shotgun #8 shot patterns

In Metropolitan Division, when I was in a line platoon, 20 of the 45 Cops wrote left handed/shot right handed (myself included)

There is a decent Number of SWAT Cops that have this “affliction”
Definitely makes you a better shot as you are less likely to be one side dominate vision wise which is great for a gun fight.
One of my older friends explained it to me this way:
"Women are naturally better shots with a handgun. It's genetic. You ever see a woman point? I shit you not, they have deadly aim with that finger!"

He's about 75, been married for 55 of them...he may be on to something:p

Loo Dog

Reaction score
If he really wants to be a cop, telk him to join the coast guard. He will get a 1st hand taste of what service is. If he is lucky he will get stationed at some type of harbor patrol. Which is a cop on the water.

His schooling will be paid forbif he chooses that route, he gets first hand exp and gets "points" when it comes to being hired. All around its a win win.
This. Seeing as you’re admittedly not the one to teach him, which is perfectly fine, either get him some legitimate training or preface his LE goals with a stint in the military. Bad shooting habits are hard to break. Where the rubber meets the road, proper marksmanship isn’t to be overlooked, and is THE true force multiplier in the field.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Another thing to note about Glock is that LEO can buy the newer generation stuff.

By law in Cali us mere mortals can only buy the older generation stuff (gen 3)

Not sure when he is eligible to do so but he should pick up a new generation glock 17.

While here in Cali were are stuck in the past, Glock has moved on and improved their products and the other 49 states can buy the updated stuff but here in Cali were cannot and are forced to buy the older generation only. We can buy gen 3 but Glock moved onto gen 4 and now gen 5. It’s BS!!!

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I'd go SigSauer. I have a ton of glocks and love them, but a Sig is a long keeping gun. HK also makes a nice piece. I was smith and wesson fan years ago, but I'm just not a fan of their newer stuff.

sintax

Reaction score
Another thing to note about Glock is that LEO can buy the newer generation stuff.

By law in Cali us mere mortals can only buy the older generation stuff (gen 3)

Not sure when he is eligible to do so but he should pick up a new generation glock 17.

While here in Cali were are stuck in the past, Glock has moved on and improved their products and the other 49 states can buy the updated stuff but here in Cali were cannot and are forced to buy the older generation only. We can buy gen 3 but Glock moved onto gen 4 and now gen 5. It’s BS!!!

Sorry to inform you of this, but those later Gen Glocks are not safe, therefore they can not be on the brought into this state. That being said, you are correct, the LEOs are able to purchase handguns that are exempt from that rigorous safety testing, as they are the only ones capable of handling these unsafe firearms.

:rolleyes:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to inform you of this, but those later Gen Glocks are not safe, therefore they can not be on the brought into this state. That being said, you are correct, the LEOs are able to purchase handguns that are exempt from that rigorous safety testing, as they are the only ones capable of handling these unsafe firearms.

:rolleyes:

I just about had iced tea come out my nose! Unsafe!!!:D:D:D

W.O.T

Reaction score
Don't blame law enforcement. Its an issue with the state. Its pretty ridiculous California demands Glock and other manufacturers pay them to test these firearms to determine they are safe and can be sold in the state to the public. I don't blame Glock and other company's for not contributing to the shenanigans.

The gen 3/4/5 glocks are almost the same except for mainly exterior differences. I still have a gen 3 issued to me but will be getting the gen 5 in January. I actually prefer the gen 3/4

sintax

Reaction score
Don't blame law enforcement. Its an issue with the state. Its pretty ridiculous California demands Glock and other manufacturers pay them to test these firearms to determine they are safe and can be sold in the state to the public. I don't blame Glock and other company's for not contributing to the shenanigans.

The gen 3/4/5 glocks are almost the same except for mainly exterior differences. I still have a gen 3 issued to me but will be getting the gen 5 in January. I actually prefer the gen 3/4

oh trust me, I dont blame the LEOs, I was simply stating how absurd the whole "system" is. I personally would choose a Gen 3 over the later models as well. I dont care for the replaceable backstrap or the multi-piece guide rod. Those are both answers to a question no one asked. Glock is a tool, no different than a hammer or a shovel. Its beauty is its simplicity and function. Accept your market, and own it. That being said, I sure would love a G43 in the event one of you or your LEO boys want to sell me one =)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not believe it is a safety issue, it was the firing pin thumb print issue. The Gen 5 came out after the law was passed in 2007; therefore, has to have a firing pin that will micro-stamp the primer. It's also why you can't buy a S&W M&P. The microstamp technology doesn't even work but our lovely state insists on it!:mad:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...le-california-court-upholds-microstamping-law