WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The Cannonball Record has been broken again.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Didn't Richard Rawlings and his buddy Dennis beat the original '75 record first? No mention of that in the article. Just the other guys

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
That's just insane on so many levels.:eek:

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
The cars that go for the record are crazy. Carrying like 60 gallons of fuel. Multiple laser and radar jammers, radios, gps systems. Switches to kill brake lights etc. I can’t imagine getting pulled over and trying to explain wtf is going on inside.

10EFAD52-2F0E-490B-BFD1-7E1DDB1FF6C4.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
The cars that go for the record are crazy. Carrying like 60 gallons of fuel. Multiple laser and radar jammers, radios, gps systems. Switches to kill brake lights etc. I can’t imagine getting pulled over and trying to explain wtf is going on inside.

I can see it now....

Oh, all this gear officer? Well it helps me catch pokemon and Facetime with my family while the traveling for work with my 2 buds...

rrrr

Reaction score
Sorry this is a long story, but it's funny enough to take the time to read.

The fastest time and distance drive I recall making was done in 1973, in my 455 SD powered Trans Am, from Albuquerque to San Bernardino. I left Albuquerque with two friends on a warm June night just after 12 AM. We pulled into Berdoo almost exactly 8½ hours later, averaging 87 MPH during the 750 mile trip. Subtracting 45 minutes for the three gas stops we made pushes the average above 90 MPH.

Today, with common interstate highway speed limits of 75 and 80 MPH, it's almost impossible to average 70 MPH, much less anything faster. Try it sometime. Anyway, Interstate 40 between the two cities was relatively new back then, so driving at high speed on the mostly deserted long stretches of the highway wasn't difficult. Avoiding stops for speeding and a probable trip to the local jail was dumb luck. Actually, a few days later, I was clocked going 90 by a police helicopter on the Riverside freeway and we were tossed into the Newport Beach clink, but that's another story.

Crossing the Mohave Desert, I had it pinned, the speedometer indicating just under 145 MPH. All 1973 T/As with air conditioning had a 3.08 limited slip differential, and an online speed calculator I found gives the car a theoretical top speed of 156 MPH, so the speedometer was probably pretty accurate.

The only interruption other than those three gas stops was an unplanned interaction with an Arizona State trooper around dawn outside Williams. I approached an eighteen wheeler in the right lane, and changed lanes to pass him.

I wasn't comfortable blowing past the truck with a speed differential of 40 or 50 MPH, so I backed off a little before pulling out to pass him. Just then we negotiated a slight curve and passed the trooper, slightly hidden by a sign indicating an exit ahead. He flipped on his lights and spun his tires, making a dust cloud, while accelerating out of his roadside pulloff.

I quickly slowed down and got back behind the truck. As he passed me, he used his PA to invite me to join him on the shoulder, then pulled up next to the semi and did the same. I stopped and got out, and by the time I walked up next to the long nose Pete 359, the driver was irate and climbing all over the trooper. I just watched and listened. :D

The trooper was tall and neatly dressed in his tight fitting uniform and flat brim campaign hat, but he looked like he was no older than 20. The truck driver was a stocky black man, about 5'8", and was chewing the trooper's ass like he was a disobedient stepchild.

"I'll tell you what, there's no goddamn way I was doing eighty three damn miles an hour in this old truck. It won't even go that fast. Besides that, I knew I was comin' up on the city limits, and goddammit, I was slowin' down. Maybe, just maybe, I was doin' sixty five. Not a bit more." This went on for a couple of minutes, and when the trooper asked me how fast I was going, I just pointed out I couldn't have been going faster than the truck, because I was behind it.

The trooper was totally intimidated, and told us he was going to give us a break and write a warning for going 70 in a 65. I'm guessing the truck was easily going 85 when we approached the curve, and I was going about 110 when I backed off while overtaking him.

The driver still had smoke coming out his ears when the cop asked him what make the truck was. The driver replied "PACCAR", which was accurate, because that was the acronym for its manufacturer, Pacific Car and Foundry. The cop, seeing the Peterbilt badges on the truck, timidly replied "PACCAR?". The driver glowered at him and again said "PACCAR", then spelled it out. The cop wrote it down on the ticket, and I struggled to keep from laughing.

The trooper finished making out the warnings, handed them to us, and feebly said "Y'all drive safe, y'hear?" The truck driver shot a disgusted look at him, and climbed into his truck. I walked back to my car, again trying not to laugh, and got in to tell my buddies how the truck driver had pulled off one of the best acting jobs I'd ever seen. :D

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
I can see it now....

Oh, all this gear officer? Well it helps me catch pokemon and Facetime with my family while the traveling for work with my 2 buds...

I'd just tell him the car was equipped for making Google Street View maps. :D

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Their average total speed was 103mph. Average for the entire trip was 101.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Didn't Richard Rawlings and his buddy Dennis beat the original '75 record first? No mention of that in the article. Just the other guys

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

No a couple other people beat the ‘75 record, then they (RR and Dennis) beat those records, then it was beaten a couple times since then.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
Technology has changed since 1975. Especially with unlimited resources in the hands of Geeks. ;)

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Why would you glorify breaking the law? I dont know about the rest of the country, but over 100 in ca is no longer a infraction, but a misdemeanor. I am sure other states have simlar laws.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I did Maryland to San Bernardino, only stopped for fuel. left Maryland 4pm Friday afternoon, pulled in my driveway Sunday at 4pm. My duramax was panting.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I had a customer when I worked for Harley run from Las Vegas to Newport Beach (to his home near PCH) in 2hours and 15mins!!!!!!! Absolutely insane. He had a few Lambos, but he did that drive in the new Nissan GTR when they first came up for sale in the US.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
I had a customer when I worked for Harley run from Las Vegas to Newport Beach (to his home near PCH) in 2hours and 15mins!!!!!!! Absolutely insane. He had a few Lambos, but he did that drive in the new Nissan GTR when they first came up for sale in the US.
Damn that is fast, I did Vegas to San Bernardino in 2hr flat once. Ran 100 or so the whole way.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Damn that is fast, I did Vegas to San Bernardino in 2hr flat once. Ran 100 or so the whole way.

He had to average around 125-135 to do it. So of course that means he was in the 150s on up quite a bit. Scary for sure. I wouldn't want to be on the road with a guy like that.

Howardflat

Bad MFer
Reaction score
I have an old timer I work with that did some cannonball runs back in the 70's and 80's. He did it in his 1967 GT500 mustang. The back seat was a big gas tank. He had all these cool old school gadgets on the car strictly for doing these. He still has the car and its beautiful. There was an magazine article of it not too long ago. Here is a little info i found of it on the interwebs His name is Roger Martins

I was digging through several boxes of Mustang magazines I have. I found the 1st article on this '67 Shelby.

The article is on page 44 in the Spring 1983 issue of Fabulous Mustangs.

For those that don't know the story on this '67 Shelby, the "Firefox" wasn't a Ford or Shelby-produced Mustang. It was a very technically modified Mustang purpose-built to run in Cannon Ball cross country races.

It had things like a Doug Nash 5-speed transmission, 2.47 rear gears, dual-quad Holleys on a balanced/blueprinted medium-riser 428, 10-quart oil pan with a 9-quart reserve with an auto feed if the oil level got low. It had aircraft landing lights mounted under the front bumper (adjustable by remote control), a series of switches that would disable the brake lights (for undetected braking), C.B. radio (those were popular in the '70s/early 80s), radar detectors, radar jammers and an on-board police scanner and a mobile phone --[a mobile phone was not something that was in wide-spread use in the early '80s].

It also had a fuel capacity of 62 gallons. Among the various guages and electronic devises, it had a fuel pressure guage, and even a fuel temp guage at the carbs. It also had temperature sensors on the rear end, transmission, as well as temperature sensors at the brakes.

Some other features were electrically heated windshield wipers and headlight washers.

oldschool

Reaction score
I was happy to make it to LA and back(Visalia)in under 30 hours on Sunday. It was just me and 38 million other dummies out there on the road.
These guys averaging those speeds for that long is unbelievably lucky.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

ok, your customer is telling you a story. No way and no how.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
ok, your customer is telling you a story. No way and no how.

He is one of "those guys"; lots and lots of money and doesn't seem to care if he dies or gets tickets. He gave me a ride in his twin turbo Lambo I thought my heart was going to come up through my throat.

He did say he left late at night on a week day. Seems completely probable to me. He would only have to average in the 120s from my calculations.

Last edited:

rcmike

Reaction score
He did say he left late at night on a week day. Seems completely probable to me. He would only have to average in the 120s from my calculations.

I could believe it.. Assuming he could get there on fuel milage, and at those speeds, a GTR is pretty much out of the boost, so the milage would be possible.. If you have not ridden in one of then R35 GTRs, you would be stunned at what they accomplish with a 3.8 liter V6..

Universal Elements

Reaction score
He is one of "those guys"; lots and lots of money and doesn't seem to care if he dies or gets tickets. He gave me a ride in his twin turbo Lambo I thought my heart was going to come up through my throat.

oh I’m sorry, I thought he did it on a Harley. On a GTR, that’s just comfortably cruising. I ride my Busa to my brothers house and my warehouse in BHC about 25 - 30 times a year. It’s about 268 miles. I keep it at 100 and it depends on the winds. Why the winds, because you start burning fuel really quick. I do have spurts of higher speeds, but again fuel conservation is key. So I have to fill up the first exit when i get on the 40 which is Arco. I jump back on the FWY and by the time I get to AVI, I’m on fumes. I did it once on my Turbo Busa. It was fun, but had to fill up 4 times with 3 separate vehicles pre-positioned. I don’t sit up practically the whole trip. I lay down on my tank and have these foam covered rear pegs where I rest my shins on. The fastest I’ve made it 2:50 minutes. That’s with 2 stops. I wouldn’t do it at night becAuse reading the roads and the screwed patches are a death sentence. I got stopped once right by the rest area before Goffs road. The LE was going the opposite way and had me on the radar (90 mph). Wrote me up a lot less so I could go to traffic school. It happened early in the morning (about 5:30).

rush1

Reaction score
These guys averaged just over a hundred miles an hour to make that time! Incredible

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
0D2AE312-365D-40BC-A238-1C89A7CF5B76.jpeg
We did corona to Vegas for my kids 18th in just over 2 hours.