FB_IMG_1575429093080.jpg
Screenshot_20191203-200133_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191203-193511_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20191203-194829_Chrome.jpg
Classic

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
That was in Kettleman city...the middle of nowhere town of 1400, but a long drive between north and south CA.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I read someplace owners can only charge them to like 75% or less to speed things up.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
“...but even its 40 stalls aren't enough to accommodate the increased demand, especially when all that simultaneous recharging lowers the speed for everyone.”

That must be in the fine print.
You can charge THIS FAST...as long as no one else is charging alongside you.

I didn’t realize it worked like that...no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

boatpi

Reaction score
I have never seen more than 2 cars at the new station in Baker.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
I was walking to the parking lot at victoria gardens a few months back. Musta been 10-11:00 after dinner and drinks. There was a line for that charging station. Took my by surprise. I didnt know that was a thing. Lol

gqchris

Reaction score
There is one across the street from me at the Target off Goldenwest now.

Place is always packed. I see the sheep just sitting in their cars every time I go by. Cracks me up.

There is always some sort of peddler there. Car Wash, Tesla Gadgets. Good time to sell people shit.

tazzio

Reaction score
Just wondering if those charging stations are powered by solar or wind.

Universal Elements

Reaction score

Because they stop at Barstow and juice up. The reason they put the one in Baker is.... if there is an accident on the 15 between Barstow and Vegas (specially during the summer) and people sit with their AC running in 120 deg heat, you want Make it to Vegas. Ask me how I know. Lol

Ricks raft

Reaction score
So apparently just like our gas guzzler trucks on long trips we carry a spare can of gas, they need to carry a spare generator.... Glad they're saving the planet. Rolleyeimojihere.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

Agreed usually 1-2
Surprising to me, after thanksgiving, when coming home from Dumont(destroying the planet with my gas guzzling motorhome and off road toys) there were atleast a dozen.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
“...but even its 40 stalls aren't enough to accommodate the increased demand, especially when all that simultaneous recharging lowers the speed for everyone.”

That must be in the fine print.
You can charge THIS FAST...as long as no one else is charging alongside you.

I didn’t realize it worked like that...no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is just physics. A transformer can only supply so many amps.

Many in the electric utility sector are looking on electric vehicles as a savior. I don't know if that will be the case or not.

22hotkat

Reaction score
This is what the writer of the article proposed as a solution

What we need is a massive national investment—public, private, or a combination thereof—to create a fast-charging network to rival the pipes, trucks, and pumps that make 87 octane flow like water for most folks.

Yes - Tax everyone so the drivers of the luxury cars (Teslas) don't have to wait in line.

HCP3

Reaction score
Tesla supercharging stations charge with up to 150 kW of power distributed between two cars with a maximum of 150[13][14] kW per car, depending on version.[15][6][16] They take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100% on the original 85 kWh Model S.

Who has time for that shit?

Last edited:

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I've been in the stupid alternative fuels business for 25 years. The hypocrisy, head in the sand, BS is endless. The fact is that lines are good news to the industry, and there will be a federal or state or combined grant to fix it any minute. The oil industry gets breaks too, and has a 100 year advantage on all of these new technologies, but my position has always been: let the market straighten it out. Fat chance.

hallett21

Reaction score
I kind of find it ironic that for so many years especially back in 08-11 when gas was $5 a gallon how everyone was on the fuck OPEC and gas company train.

Now a company for the better part of a decade has made a hard run at offering another solution and people say fuck Tesla.

And before we go down the subsidy rabbit hole let’s keep a level playing field and factor in all of the subsidies tax payers pay for oil and other auto manufacturers.

I know that humanity peaked at the 2.5 Merc, 7.3 powestroke and the VCR but good lord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QC22

Landing Loser
Reaction score
I kind of find it ironic that for so many years especially back in 08-11 when gas was $5 a gallon how everyone was on the fuck OPEC and gas company train.

Now a company for the better part of a decade has made a hard run at offering another solution and people say fuck Tesla.

And before we go down the subsidy rabbit hole let’s keep a level playing field and factor in all of the subsidies tax payers pay for oil and other auto manufacturers.
08-11 is what made Tesla possible. It was the peak of the alternate fuels industry. My phone was ringing off the hook. Made my biggest deal ever with Navistar. And then... It all died. $35 oil kills these businesses. Tesla has a huge investor following that has kept them on top for sure. Emission regulations and subsidies (sorry) have indeed propped up all of these industries. The question is: "When will any of these products sustain themselves on market forces alone?" I think the Tesla beating starts there.

Tank

Reaction score

I know that humanity peaked at the 2.5 Merc, 7.3 powestroke and the VCR but good lord.

There's a simple answer here....
1) Fuck OPEC for gouging people when they don't need too (shit ton of oil all over the globe).
2) Fuck Tesla for being holier than thou when really, they aren't doing ANYTHING to save the planet or lower fuel prices. They're just here to take advantage of the sheep and make money.

From across the street of that electric station at the diesel fuel station, I'd be laughing my ass off as I fill up with Diesel in 15 minutes while getting a snack and taking a leak. LOL;)

hallett21

Reaction score
There's a simple answer here....
1) Fuck OPEC for gouging people when they don't need too (shit ton of oil all over the globe).
2) Fuck Tesla for being holier than thou when really, they aren't doing ANYTHING to save the planet or lower fuel prices. They're just here to take advantage of the sheep and make money.

From across the street of that electric station at the diesel fuel station, I'd be laughing my ass off as I fill up with Diesel in 15 minutes while getting a snack and taking a leak. LOL;)

Oh they are for sure just another company out to make money.

But if you had a properly sized solar system at home and commuted less than 250 miles a day they are a pretty slick option.

They’ve made it financially achievable for the average upper class guy to have a gas station at home.

Tesla model 3 midrange model is right at 55k no incentive and sales tax included. Add in a larger solar system for 25k and you’re 80k OTD.

If you buy another Tesla you’re covered on the power requirement from your initial solar investment.

The average upper middle class CA homeowner does not need a F450 to pull the cigarette & toy hauler simultaneously while they have 6 mills and welders running at home. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

All while commuting 600 miles a day.

Aka RDP members nation wide [emoji41][emoji41]

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
How's the solar panels at home going to charge the batteries at night?

Don't tell me about net metering, that is a market distortion that has no basis in how the electric grid works.

Those electrons have to come from some source when they are needed, not at 10am when no one is home.

Nobody is incentavising vehicle charging, only the purchase of the battery. Because it is all rainbows and puppy dogs when it comes to Green energy.

hallett21

Reaction score
How's the solar panels at home going to charge the batteries at night?

Don't tell me about net metering, that is a market distortion that has no basis in how the electric grid works.

Those electrons have to come from some source when they are needed, not at 10am when no one is home.

Nobody is incentavising vehicle charging, only the purchase of the battery. Because it is all rainbows and puppy dogs when it comes to Green energy.

No argument there. But from a strictly consumer financial standpoint it works out.

Curious what you see as far as night time grid demand with EV vehicles?

Edit:

My argument comes strictly from what the consumer spends their money on.

If you had the means to fork out 80k would you rather have a car that costs next to nothing to operate (in theory using net metering and solar) or fork out 80k (probably a nicer car) and stick to gasoline/diesel?

Has nothing to do with saving the environment.

If you wanna save the environment go live in the woods, grow hemp and shit in a hole.

Tank

Reaction score
Oh they are for sure just another company out to make money.

But if you had a properly sized solar system at home and commuted less than 250 miles a day they are a pretty slick option.

They’ve made it financially achievable for the average upper class guy to have a gas station at home.

Tesla model 3 midrange model is right at 55k no incentive and sales tax included. Add in a larger solar system for 25k and you’re 80k OTD.

If you buy another Tesla you’re covered on the power requirement from your initial solar investment.

The average upper middle class CA homeowner does not need a F450 to pull the cigarette & toy hauler simultaneously while they have 6 mills and welders running at home. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

All while commuting 600 miles a day.

Aka RDP members nation wide [emoji41][emoji41]

LOL. I have a Duramax not an F450 FYI. ;):D

I agree. My bro-in-law (pretty right wing) is buying a Tesla for his wife. She commutes all of about 15 miles round trip to work a day, doesn't really go anywhere else. Perfect car for that set up and they have partial solar to their house.

But like I said, I think people get pissed at Tesla because they (and the liberal fan boys) act like they're doing this big justice for the environment when in reality the batteries it takes to make those things go are about a million times worse for the environment than fuel and that problem will soon become a huge issue once the batteries start crapping out as more electric vehicles are on the road and for now, it takes fossil fuel to make the electricity to recharge those cars. So, some believe it's just a bit of irony to be preaching about saving the planet and all the good these cars do when in reality, they really don't do much of anything except line the pockets of another billionaire potential monopoly company and allow it's drivers to look down at others thinking they're better than everyone else. That's not necessarily my feeling, I just think that's how some of the, "haters" if you will, view the situation.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score

Screenshot_20191203-194829_Chrome.jpg

Boat 405

Reaction score
And then the power goes off. Lol. Sheep. Lots of them. Another way to control people and they are paying to do so.

Between my 55 gal drum of diesel and a 30 gallon tank. I can get pretty far away from California when they cut power to the grid. Just another inconvenient truth about electric cars.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Good thing I bring my Chevy Volt Generator where ever I go when I am not driving my 7.3 Excursion.

chevy-volt-test-drive-hood.jpg

Last edited:

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with an app like airbnb for home charging stations.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with an app like airbnb for home charging stations.

Ev trip planner is the closest thing.
Every tesla that approached these chargers at these times was shown on their UI they were full - but they planned their trip poorly and went anyway (other times they were down to a 2 minute wait so were is some selective choosing going on with picts)

The telsa drivers on thanksgiving weekend could have easily planned around not showing up at the madonna inn at lunchtime and charged at multiple places. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Many of the same guys that whine about charging are the same guys that wait an hour at costco to save 3.00

Pick the very busiest travel day of the year plan to show up at a supercharger at the peak times and you may have a problem.

Hardly any one here has actually used one of these so few understand the living with them - many here didnt get the volt either.

Chargers are varied in capability. Remember they been around a while.
Some that share a cabinet will halve the charge rate, some won't - it isn a given.
Others have their own cabinets and won't.

The v3 stuff is game changing - The latest chargers can blast 200 miles of range in 15 min - two people go in for a coke and a piss and you come out and leave. You can take really long trips and charge one or 2 quick times.

Electrify America is filling in with more high speed chargers up to 350 KWH more power than even the v3 tesla chargers.

Green? who gives a f about that?
True - Battery minerals are mined right next to the platinum for catalytic converters. Its true they run cleaner but they are no cleaner to make, but they are cleaner and cheaper to run per mile, that maths been done.

The reason to get them for me and most owners is

1. because they absolutely slay just about every other car on the road performance wise and are tremendously fun to drive. Even the low end ones are quick cars.
Who'd have though a newcomer model 3 would beat a BMW M3 at the track?

2. Waking up every day with a full tank has a much bigger impact on your schedule than you think at first.
I have a muti car family and at least one car rarely to never goes more than 200 miles a day day in day out
Get real with the ratio of which car how far how often and most (not all) find they do just fine with a long range version in terms of day to day.

Add up ALL the fuel stop you make not just the ones on longer trips and you realize almost every semi long trip starts with a trip to the gas station and end with another trip to the gas station-

3. Its America tech and I love sticking it to our competitors. They are made in America by American workers.

Wanna go 800 mile away at 85 MPH, stop once for 15 minutes, never eat, pee, easy - just take you other car or plan on charging a few times. How often do you really do that though?

Wanna go everywhere else the shop (60 miles away for me) , the store, home depot, you buddies, smoke a hellcat on the way to the bar, hit a resturant, go anywhere and everywhere in town or within 150 miles you just go and when you are done you go home.

UD

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I might get one in the future after more infrastructure is built (Thanks guys who own them now BTW) and better choices are available.

I am the target market. I own multiple vehicles and can get an expensive speciality car like this to handle my shitty slow commute. It makes sense. I commute 60 miles a day at like 5 mph. Electric makes sense for me.

I can get an electric car as a commuter. I would prolly get a fast one and lease it for business. But all my commuters I get have to be sporty and fun to drive which these are not.

Then I can also have a coal burner for towing and a nice sports car for fun weekend drives. (Think Porsche or Vette or M)

The only thing holding me back is the lack of choice and that all these long range all electric cars are so damn boring. So, some of the $100,000 models go fast in a straight line. Big deal. Handling, driving and quality are all substandard on them. The are glorified grocery getters.

I am waiting for the big players to get in the market and give us some better choices. It will happen some day. I might be a buyer then. Till then I will pass.

Plus I cannot charge at home or work cuz both locations sux!!

hallett21

Reaction score
And then the power goes off. Lol. Sheep. Lots of them. Another way to control people and they are paying to do so.

Between my 55 gal drum of diesel and a 30 gallon tank. I can get pretty far away from California when they cut power to the grid. Just another inconvenient truth about electric cars.

Good for you on actually being prepared. But I bet most auto owners leave their cars on 1/4 or less when they get home. I personally never come home with less than 1/2 a tank in the event of an emergency.

But if the grid goes down ain’t no body getting fuel at the pump.

Depending on when the grid went down the Tesla may have a full tank lol [emoji41]

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I am going on six years ownership on a P85DL S Tesla. Wife's daily driver - only has 40K miles on it may 30 K do not know not really an issue you track on these. We have unlimited Supercharging. She loves it and has never been a car person (somebody that obsesses about their personal car). For a sports sedan (which I really have no need for myself)... It is OK to load the family in on Sunday whatever. Will I give up my Raptor or DMAX at this point...? NO. If I need to go to cars and coffee I will run the 67 Stingray. :D

AFA3349E-E117-4932-AC61-40E8477AAE5D_1_201_a.jpeg