WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dune advise?

bagged97taco

Reaction score
So we are getting ready for our first dune trip in the rzr. I’ve rode quads and a dirt bike in the dunes. Never been in a golf cart (rzr). I’m not sure I want to throw down money on a new set of paddles Been looking for some used ones but no luck local. I have a xp4 1000 non turbo. Should I just use my brand new tires aired down and see if my wife likes the dunes before I throw down a wad of cash on paddles and wheels

wallnutz

Reaction score
If the dunes stay damp you really don't need paddles. I rode all over T-Day weekend without them and did good. I am turbo though.

Foscheck

Reaction score
The stock Bighorns actually do okay in the sand. For your first trip, I wouldn't hesitate to tun them. There's probably different opinions, but 4 wheel drive worked well for us.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
5psi avoid rocks use 4 WD you’ll be fine.
Watch out for witch eyes and sharp drop
Offs called razorbacks.
What he said.

Here are some duning tips:

To the beginning duner, making the transition over a ridge (or razorback) can be quite nerve-wracking...As a matter of fact, the transition is what frightens the beginning duners the most...Heck, when your at the bottom of a dune looking up and seeing what looks like a long razorblad stretched atop of the sand, and nothing but blue sky above that, it can be very intimidating...However, once you master the ridge transition, you will find that it is the best and easiest way to ride the dunes.

Most beginning riders to the dunes (and this even counts for expert riders who ride dunes for the first time) take too steep of an angle before they make the transition, and this can make for a very uncomfortable ride. What usually ends up happening is that the person gets scared and shuts off just before he or she reaches the ridge. Then, the person usually puts there foot down on the downslope, and "ZOOP", The bike stalls and rolls, sending bike and rider on a trip down to the bottom. If the bike stalls at the top, lean into the hill using your body english to keep the bike or quad from tipping over. And if you don't make the it to the top, stay on the gas to keep your wheels spinning and turn down the hill. And when riding a quad, you should never need to put your foot down, so keep them on the pegs.

Scenerio #2. The rider takes too steep of an angle and doesn't ease up on the gas when they reach the top. The result is that he or she ends up launching over the other side at an angle. This makes for hard, awkward landings because the rider caught too much air and lands on one or two wheels, resulting in ugly whiplash and pain (this is what usually keeps beginning duners back at camp when the group heads for another ride). And when this happens, you can very easily have a date with a witch eye, and she isn't very friendly on that first date.

pic1.jpg

Don't be affraid of that ridge (razor), and attempt to get up on it. Slap's gonna show you how, because it is the best way to see everything and have a comfortable dune ride.

What you want to do is to take less of an angle when you head up to the ridge. Now what this will require is good momentum. Keep your speed up, and try to approach the ridge this way:

pic2.jpg

Although it will look intimidating, go for it. Once you reach the ridge, you have a less chance of hitting or landing in a witch eye, because you will be following the ridge. You may dig in a bit on quads, but stay on the gas, you will motor right on through. You will then have a good view to your left and right, and you will notice that even though witch eyes are close, you are skimming right past them on most if not all occasions. Because, if you look at a ridge, it is consistent, and that is what you want to ride on or stay very close to. This also allows you to pick different lines when you are on top because things open up for you when you are there. Look at it as if you were attempting to straddle the ridge. Once you get over the fear, your duning days will be much more fun. Now if your momentum isn't fast enough to carry the ridge, don't sweat it, just go around the bowl or hill to the bottom and try it again.

It is very important for beginning duners to understand that when they are following, DO NOT get out of line when making a ridge (razor) transition. Try as hard as you can to stay in the tracks of the leader or the people in front of you. You never know how close a witch eye is untill you pass your first one and it is mere inches from your left or right. So, stay in line as best you can. It is always good to follow an experienced duner. A good leader will most likely show you a good line through the dunes that can be fun and enjoyable.

Mother Glamis changes all the time, so <span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL OUT THERE </span>. Even the best leader or duner can have serious troubles when Mother becomes choppy and witchy.

So, keep your feet on the pegs, your momentum up, and ride them ridges (razors). Before you know it, you will be ripping bowls and singin a tune...

Icky

Reaction score
If you're new, I would suggest going with someone who has experience. Or at a minimum go with another new person.

Stocks tires aired down will be fine, you just might have to carry some more momentum

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I have the same car and did my first few trips to the dunes with it on the stock bighorn tires. They will be fine especially with the wet sand currently. You will notice a big improvement once you change to paddles. But you will be fine with stock tires until your Sure you wanna spend the $$$

Reactions: TPC

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Stock tires aired down will do fine, run in 4-low to keep the belt cool if you aren't hauling the mail. 4-high and low speeds will murder the belt. You may want to stiffen the stock shocks quite a bit to combat the dunes, the entry / departure angles are deceiving at speed. Watch out for witch eyes and G-outs !

77charger

Reaction score
If your going to glamis anytime soon its torn up pretty good.Rains 2 weeks ago made them wet we got there sat before t day and it was wet about 3 inches below the top.I didnt have to air down too much to get to camp.

Then thanksgving day the wind was strong most of the day then more rain and even sat morning when we left it was like a beach shoreline hard.As for the dunes we went out on friday after the wind rain and alot of the tops of dunes had some good ruts from the wind and rain and were worst ive seen in 35 years.Lot of holes too so advice is take it easy you aint driving a trophy truck no matter how good you think your suspension is.

69hondo

Reaction score
Dont spend the money on tires until you know you like the sand. You will be fine without. DONT STOP ON A UP HILL SLOPE. ALWAYS STOP POINTING DOWN

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We aren’t going til after the new year . Going with a couple guys who ride there all the time and another guy who has never been. I just got new itp ultracross Tire’s, so I’m not on factory tires.

jetur

Reaction score
Just to check it out, air down and go. If you decide you need the power to the ground white knuckle ride, they will sell you paddles on vendor row for about $50 more than going rate. (My buddy bought some there last year)

BingerFang

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We aren’t going til after the new year . Going with a couple guys who ride there all the time and another guy who has never been. I just got new itp ultracross Tire’s, so I’m not on factory tires.

You will do fine... I took a stock Rhino (anyone remember those??) to glamis 10 years ago with stock tires and did just fine in 4wd. I was just always aware when stopping on a hill to make sure I was facing downwards so I could easily take back off, lol.

Brobee

Reaction score

Where are you located. I have a full set of 30” paddles on method wheels in the garage in Havasu. I have a turbo so they might be too big but I’m not using them. As long as you treat them nice you’re welcome to borrow them. I’ve only used them once.
IMG_0835.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Thank you for the offer. I’m in Tucson. My buddy is looking for a set for me to borrow or buy cheap. I’ll know more soon. I’m sure after this dune trip I will want a turbo car even more than I already do

Gelcoater

Reaction score
When you say ride.
Quads? Bikes?
RZR?

Have experience being lead rider in the dunes?
Be cautious if following quads, their power to weight, maneuver-ability, lighter weight could lead you into some sticky situations.
If you’ve lead some, use those skills, just scan farther and wider and take the longer way around, if you know what I’m saying.
You’ll be fine airing down and keeping momentum.

All this comes not from someone who’s got a golf cart and done it, it’s from the guy on a quad leading the cart. ;)

bagged97taco

Reaction score
When you say ride.
Quads? Bikes?
RZR?

Have experience being lead rider in the dunes?
Be cautious if following quads, their power to weight, maneuver-ability, lighter weight could lead you into some sticky situations.
If you’ve lead some, use those skills, just scan farther and wider and take the longer way around, if you know what I’m saying.
You’ll be fine airing down and keeping momentum.

All this comes not from someone who’s got a golf cart and done it, it’s from the guy on a quad leading the cart. ;)
Yes all my buddies have rzrs now. Seems they all sold there sand cars and bikes and went to overpriced golf carts. My dune experience has been on a 2stroke quad and a cr500 So I need to learn how to drive a sxs in the dunes

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Steer clear of those nasty witch's eyes! Not fun:rolleyes:

bagged97taco

Reaction score
Steer clear of those nasty witch's eyes! Not fun:rolleyes:
My goal will to have fun and bring my car home in 1 piece. A buddy just got a helicopter ride out of glamis after yard saleing an rs1 he was shock tuning (not his car). He broke his back and the car.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Passengers don't get to make choices. Good choices bring everyone home safe. It's a long slow painful trip to the ER out in the Desert.
Stay safe and have fun.
Congrats on the new purchase.

cakemoto

Reaction score
I have the same car you’re gonna be working that motor pretty damn hard on the non-turbo with the stock tires.Yes I did it my father-in-law’s car with the turbo 8pounds of air.I have a set of Stu here in Phoenix ur more than welcome to use also.As I have the same car

hawgty55

Reaction score
Youll be fine paul. We have all ran those rhinos ragged around that place and dumont without paddles. Sometimes the struggle and to actually have to drive the machines are part of the fun.

SW_GLASS

Reaction score
Hey Paul you will be fine with your dirt tires aired down. I would just caution you to not drop them too far if you dont have beadlock wheels. Trying to re-seat a bead on a wheel covered in sand it a pain in the ass sometimes.

You can always carry a can of starting fluid if you are comfortable doing that method.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Tips to Avoid a "Witch's Eye" at the Sand Dunes
WE1.jpg
Dune season is finally here which means off-road enthusiasts from all over will soon be heading to destinations such as Pismo, Dumont and of course Glamis. Although sand is a favorite amongst off-road enthusiasts for its soft surface and ever-changing landscape, riders should take extra precaution when riding to prevent hitting a deep hole aka the “Witch’s Eye.” A witch’s eye is a deep hole in the sand that varies in size; can be the size of an ATV tire to as big as a backyard pool. It is one of the most dangerous obstacles in the dunes because they tend to be at the back side of a dune or hill and are hard to see. The dunes change constantly due to the wind gusts so the path you used over and over again the day before can suddenly become full of witch eyes overnight. Hitting a witch’s eye can not only cause severe damage to your vehicle, but the driver and passengers can get seriously injured ending your dune adventure abruptly.

Here are some tips on how you can avoid hitting a witch's eye and stay safe throughout your time in the dunes.
Tip #1: Be Alert
WE4.jpg

One of the best ways to stay safe in the dunes is to stay alert and always be looking ahead. The driver must be paying attention to their surroundings and be ready to react instantly in case you come across one of those nasty witch’s eye. If the rider takes their eyes off the road for even one second, you may miss a sinkhole, sudden dropout or even another enthusiast!

Tip #2: NEVER Go Straight Up on a Dune
WE2.jpg
When riding the dunes, NEVER go straight up a dune, ever! if you can’t see what’s on the other side don't risk it. Usually, a dune is steep on one side and smooth on the other again with shifting winds and multiple usages it can be completely different on the other side of the face. The best way to “inspect” the backside of a dune is to try to cross ridges at an angle so that you will get to see over and can react quickly if there is something bad on the other side.

What could be on the other side of a dune:
-Drop Off (Razor Edge)
-Witches Eye
-Oncoming Rider

Tip #3: Ride With An Experienced Rider
new-arrivals-template(28).jpg
It is a good rule of thumb to always follow an experience duner who knows how to read the dunes. As the leader of the ride, they will let you know when there is a witch’s eye ahead giving you plenty of time to go around it instead of hitting it and causing some serious damage. Always keep a safe distance, at least a 2 car length, so that if a quick move is made to avoid something you will have time to react.

DUNER TIP:
If you're on a ride and you come close to a "Witch's Eye" in the dunes, safely slow down and throw your hand up out of your UTV as "stop signal" for the riders behind you. Many experienced riders use this hand signal frequently for dangerous terrain and situations. You can also use car-to-car headsets to communicate these dangers to your fellow riders as well.

Tip #4: Wear Tinted Goggles
new-arrivals-template(29).jpg

The reason the witch’s eyes are so dangerous is that you cannot see them coming up ahead when you are riding. If you are riding the dunes in the middle of the day in bright sunlight, there is little depth perception making it extremely hard to see the bottom of the hills. If you are wearing goggles, it is a good idea to change the tint in the lenses to help you see a lot better. Changing the goggle lenses to a yellow or orange tint will help reduce midday glare making it so much easier to see the dips that are ahead. And of course, for night riding wear a clear lense so that your eyes will see the trail ahead without any filters.

DUNER TIP:
We recommend bringing 2 pairs of goggles with you on a ride, a tinted pair (for most of your day), and a clear pair (for dusk/night riding). This way you are covered all day with the right eye protection. Changing lenses from clear to tinted can be tedious on the go and if you don't insert the lens correctly, you will get tons of sand in your eyes. This is why its best to just invest in 2 pairs of goggles.
SHOP GOGGLES

Good Luck & Ride Safe!
A Witches Eye can be extremely dangerous if you do not know how to ride the dunes appropriately. Never take your eyes off the road and make sure you
ride with an experienced rider. Staying alert during your ride is the greatest tip for any duner because it will allow you to react quickly if any witch's eye gets in your way. Following these tips will keep you safe and allow you to enjoy your Sand Dune experience to the fullest.

TCHB

Reaction score
Paddles make it a lot nicer. When you air down the stock tires there is a lot of sidewall flex and the tire digs in because it is under inflated. This can create a problem when you are traveling off camber. You load the down hill tires and unload the uphill which causes the car to tip. Sand tires keep you on top and do not flex like a under inflated tire.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I should add i have the same machine and have been able to go anywhere in glamis with no problems using knobbies. 2wd in the small stuff and 4wd in the larger bowls aired down and you are good to go. If you get stuck just back down in a straight line. Other than that have fun!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I had a non turbo for a while and went on several trips to glamis.

Stay in the back of the pack to watch what all the cars do in front of you, watch how there cars react.

Run as high up the dune as you can.

Get the paddles.

Never lift if the dunes.

Run 4x4 all the time even with buffs on the front.

As long as you aren’t trying to keep up with sandcars you will be all good.

Dont be afraid to circle a bowl twice of you dont feel comfortable with the transition

If you watch the car in front of you go over something and you see there tale lights straight in the air then proceed with caution and turn down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
You will be fine. Just air down

I drive my 900 with no paddles. Bighorns with 4wD works fine. Momentum is yore friend.

The turbos have a shit ton of power.

Actually best times we ever had was with the old “underpowered” RZR 800 and Rhinos. We could NOT climb shit with those. We spent all night trying to climb hills we didn’t have enough power to reach the top. Just take a longer head start till you reach the top. Lol. Talk about never slowing down and keeping yore momentum up. Hold my beer and watch this. :p;)

D19

Reaction score
You don't need paddles. I was duning a friends 4 seat Can Am with dirt tires back in October and it was 90+ degrees (softer sand), I had no issue.

If you don't know how to read dunes well, stay on the leaders ass. If you're not getting roosted with with sand, you're not following closely enough!

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I was in your shoes last year. Grew up on atc and quads in glamis. Knew how to ride the dunes no problem at all. Now i have a sxs and its not even remotely the same driving wise. The rules of riding the dunes is the same but driving be extra cautious. If you think you cant make it dont try. Play it safe as possible your first couple rides. Especially in a non turbo no paddles.

I had paddles on my 4 door general and I was able to go just about anywhere. I pussied out a few times cause i didnt think i had the power but oh well. Made it up OLDS with ease. But we all know theres some dunes out there that are hairy and i avoided them at all costs.

The main thing is to never slow down. I high sided my general in the first 20 mins of the first ride buried the bitch up to the frame. Out of nowhere my buddy @thewidge who we werent even there with comes to our rescue and dragged us off the 10 foot dune lol. Learned that lesson quick.

Have fun be safe....but get yur feet wet early. understand what your machine is capable of and what it isnt and how it slides. Its nothing like a quad or dirtbike

77charger

Reaction score
You don't need paddles. I was duning a friends 4 seat Can Am with dirt tires back in October and it was 90+ degrees (softer sand), I had no issue.

If you don't know how to read dunes well, stay on the leaders ass. If you're not getting roosted with with sand, you're not following closely enough!
Agree paddles arent always needed and in most cases they do help but so does airing down.Ive dunedatc 250r with paddles and without had more fun without them as it slid very good,cr500 rode with and without paddle goes damn fast either way but knobby keeps the front wheel down easier,and my buggy i did the knobbies one time since i didnt feel like swapping them out and it did fine too especially in the dunes as long as i kept speed,

But ive seen friends try paddles on a 250 four stroke quad with automatic and all the did was bury it all the time didnt have the speed to use them or the power to spin them,Kids quads same deal work great on knobs but paddles kill power as the hook up.

Mototrig

Reaction score
-Easiest and most helpful advice...when in doubt GAS IT!!
-Carry only the tools you will need and a tow rope.
-If you are starting from a dead stop ALWAYS start down hill never uphill.
-Never turn while backing down a hill, EVER.
-If it's windy watch out for the false top of the dunes. The wind pushes sand off the dunes peak giving the illusion the dune is longer than it really is
-Always lend a helping hand to your fellow duner
-Dont dune your tow vehicle.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I was just there in a non turbo 1k4 and I have paddles. Did very well never once did I run out of power. Not having a turbo is just fine. Paddles helped I was in 4x4 the whole time too. Don’t push it and have fun. There will be plenty of tracks now with all the rain. Stay in the “line” and you will be perfect remember to have fun

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I ran paddles on my 50hp Rhino...only a few, short paddles per tire LOL

They’re great when sized correctly for your machine, regardless of the power you make [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

87tahiti

Reaction score
It will dune fine as is. I felt my 2014 xp1 was better without paddles.

You ain't going be climbing no steeps or blazing anything.

bagged97taco

Reaction score
So I have a few more questions. Bringing firewood? Reading about them taking it at the border check point? I can load it into crates and put it under motorhome if needed. What about using smudge pots? And last question is gas jugs I have the non California compliant jugs. Is that an issue? Thanks again

Rbcconst

Reaction score
So I have a few more questions. Bringing firewood? Reading about them taking it at the border check point? I can load it into crates and put it under motorhome if needed. What about using smudge pots? And last question is gas jugs I have the non California compliant jugs. Is that an issue? Thanks again

Never had an issue with any of the above. Many people bring smudge pots and other bring firewood. Also never had an issue with gas cans...no glass bottles is a big one though, they will come into your camp if they think they see glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Icky

Reaction score
The guys at big belly crew have wood if you're staying by the washes, they also deliver.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Cali Ag Check if coming from Az will take your wood if they see it or if you are honest.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Going this weekend for the first time ever, if it’s not a giant mud puddle. I’d never thought much of Glamis until I drove through it on the way to El Centro a few weeks ago. I was awe struck, it was gorgeous and about a billion times bigger than I thought it was. I found paddles on Craigslist and am taking a day trip with about 10 other experienced guys on Saturday.
IMG_8655.jpg

If I know me, I’ll be hooked and have to figure out what to sell or steal to get into a Sand Pro 2 or Funco. [emoji1786]
B9A04D14-0AFE-4FCC-8C11-22823B4EF095-20892-0000068C85030BD7.png

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Going this weekend for the first time ever, if it’s not a giant mud puddle. I’d never thought much of Glamis until I drove through it on the way to El Centro a few weeks ago. I was awe struck, it was gorgeous and about a billion times bigger than I thought it was. I found paddles on Craigslist and am taking a day trip with about 10 other experienced guys on Saturday.
View attachment 828695

If I know me, I’ll be hooked and have to figure out what to sell or steal to get into a Sand Pro 2 or Funco. [emoji1786]
View attachment 828696
In leaving in an hour or so

Reactions: DWC

riverroyal

Reaction score
bring ear plugs for you and the wife
bring glow stick for the kids and the dog

Thank me later have fun!

wallnutz

Reaction score
Not making it out. The oil pump drive broke on the Moho as it was idling in the driveway. Guess in a way I got lucky.:(